Author Topic: Branch Warren triceps training.............  (Read 11402 times)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Branch Warren triceps training.............
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
ok yea thats what i thought a JM press was, much different than what branch was doing.

branch was doing a bench press to his eyeballs lol, he just invented a new movement.
watch the video of Branch again, not really much difference between what he does and what JM Blakely does in his clip.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
look at the purpouseful momentum, rythm, use by coleman on pulldowns to the front and seated machine rows.

very effective way to keep all the stress on the target muscle, while using HEAVY weights

try going HEAVY on either of those using no momentum...all biceps
Goin heavy like that using all that momentum caused branch to tear a lat, both triceps, and god knows what else in the future, hes only 34 or something.

and Ronnie tore his lat and tricep doin the same thing and lost the chance at breaking the record for most olympia victories because of it.

Any other good examples taylor?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:26 PM »
watch the video of Branch again, not really much difference between what he does and what JM Blakely does in his clip.

True. Not only that but some people use them to the upper chest and swear it works best for them. Really just gotta bring them to the spot where it doesnt kill your elbows but makes you feel it in the tris the best. Simple.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »

JM used much more elbow flexion IMO, Branch was doing more of a close grip bench to his face.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
Goin heavy like that using all that momentum caused branch to tear a lat, both triceps, and god knows what else in the future, hes only 34 or something.

and Ronnie tore his lat and tricep doin the same thing and lost the chance at breaking the record for most olympia victories because of it.

Any other good examples taylor?

Brian Dobson said that Ronnie tore his tricep and lat when he slipped on some baby powder on the floor of Metroflex while he was getting ready to do T Bar rows, said Ronnie tried to keep it quiet.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
Brian Dobson said that Ronnie tore his tricep and lat when he slipped on some baby powder on the floor of Metroflex while he was getting ready to do T Bar rows, said Ronnie tried to keep it quiet.

I read that in MD too, u think thats true?

MD is so full of shit, i cant believe anything in there.

I called bullshit to about 10 times reading there arnold classic review issue this month.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
I guess I have been doing the JM press for years without really knowing it.  ;D When done correctly it is a hell of an exercise, but once the weight gets too heavy you start to throw in to much chest shoulder which tends to take away from the triceps and also puts more strain on the elbow tendon. If may look like the same exercise, but it is not.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »
I guess I have been doing the JM press for years without really knowing it.  ;D When done correctly it is a hell of an exercise, but once the weight gets too heavy you start to throw in to much chest shoulder which tends to take away from the triceps and also puts more strain on the elbow tendon. If may look like the same exercise, but it is not.

Is that the skullcrusher/closegrip bench combo u were telling me about that u couldnt explain to me on the phone but u said u could only show me in person lol?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »

I may be wrong, but I do not think that Ronnie tore his tricep, but he def tore his lat.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
Is that the skullcrusher/closegrip bench combo u were telling me about that u couldnt explain to me on the phone but u said u could only show me in person lol?

Yep, when done correctly it is one of the best tricep exercises out there. Also, who was the guy who said all he ate was rice and beans?  ;D Remember the exercise that he was doing the looked like a stiff arm lat pulldown, but he said it was a triceps movement? When done correctly that is also a great triceps move with an extreme contraction!!

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »
I may be wrong, but I do not think that Ronnie tore his tricep, but he def tore his lat.

His left triceps looks like its missing here lol.

Game Time

• Getbig III
  • Go out fatboy
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
I'm going to haft to agree with that being a sloppy but still impressive JM press

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
I agree with this, however if the momentum and weight is such that it led to injuries something's wrong.

Also, this is the big thing for me..all that and he's not even going to failure, pretty lame.

Like I said earlier, once he get up to a certain weight it turns into a different movement. Look closely and you can see he is using his muscles in a different way at a heavier weight. It is subtle, but very important to realize.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
Yep, when done correctly it is one of the best tricep exercises out there. Also, who was the guy who said all he ate was rice and beans?  ;D Remember the exercise that he was doing the looked like a stiff arm lat pulldown, but he said it was a triceps movement? When done correctly that is also a great triceps move with an extreme contraction!!

All rice and beans MAX CHARLES!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »
His left triceps looks like its missing here lol.

Yes, but the attachment still looks to be the same. Look closely and you can see that his shoulder and whole arm mass is smaller. Pinched nerve bro.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
All rice and beans MAX CHARLES!

Yep, that's him. Go back and look at the video and try that exercise with VERY light weight and see if you can "feel" how he is doing it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »
i am opposite your opinion

his form is brilliant

ive never seen someone do that closegrip/skullcrusher exercise... branch trains very similar to ronnie in o that he is very connected to his muscles, its apparant to me by watching him train that he is focusing on the target muscle alone...  and that is good form...   

I agree with this, but if the mix of too much momentum and weight was such that it led to injuries something's wrong and should've been changed.

Those don't look like JM Presses, because i don't see any form of extension on the way down; with extensions the elbows and hands are farther apart, with close-grips they're closer together. Those are lying presses to neck; bringing it to the neck makes it look very similar to extensions but with presses the hands are right under the elbows. Bringing it to the neck was something Gironda said were more effective on the chest, he probably thinks same for those close-grips for tris.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
Yes, but the attachment still looks to be the same. Look closely and you can see that his shoulder and whole arm mass in smaller. Pinched nerve bro.

yea true that whole left side is smaller. so do u think he lat is torn, but the rest is nerve damage ( the shoulder and tricep atrophy? )

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
Yep, that's him. Go back and look at the video and try that exercise with VERY light weight and see if you can "feel" how he is doing it.

already had the video loading lol.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »
yea true that whole left side is smaller. so do u think he lat is torn, but the rest is nerve damage ( the shoulder and tricep atrophy? )

Yes I think he tore his lat in the arm pit area and also had some nerve damage going on. I also think that the cholesterol meds that he takes is starting to make his legs atrophy.

The Coach

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
actually in the latest MD he advises against doing skullcrushers AT ALL for fear of tearing a tricep like he did, that's the craziest looking extension i've ever seen, looks like a "JM Press" that powerlifters do.

Yep, thats what I was thinking only a half-assed version.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »
Yes I think he tore his lat in the arm pit area and also had some nerve damage going on. I also think that the cholesterol meds that he takes is starting to make his legs atrophy.

or has ronnie become ur everyday gym warrior and stopped training legs  :-\   :'(

The Coach

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »
It's not the same actually, one's a close grip press to the neck the other's an extension on the downwards motion. They look fairly similar because of bringing it to the neck, which is probably why he feels it's more effective.

Thats why i said it's a half-assed version!!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
or has ronnie become ur everyday gym warrior and stopped training legs  :-\   :'(

Check out the side effects on cholesterol meds.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
Check out the side effects on cholesterol meds.
what's he taking, Zocor? i know they can fucck with liver enzymes but how do they eat muscle?