Author Topic: Michael Phelps  (Read 11052 times)

body88

Re: Michael Phelps
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
Then there are these guys.  What kind of program are they running at BC??  And what kind of hypocrite would support the program that recruits rapists and thugs, but be appalled when a person abuses animals?   :-\ 

Again, you avoid my post.  Beach, you have lost the argument and your most recent posts prove this.  You are deflecting my questions! I agree that the player from BC should go to jail and that they should reevaluate the type of guys they are recruiting.  At least they do not admit to seeking out criminals (which was the point being made in my last post and which was the point used to expose your hypocrisy).  I have never defended or tried to defend the poor actions of a BC player or its staff.  You wont directly answer my posts because you can't.  Your argument is straw at this point and designed to get out of DIRECTLY answering the questions I have posed to you many times. 

I will respectfully drop the issue.  It was nice debating you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
Whoa.  Is this stuff endemic at BC??   A 1998 story?  :-\ 

BC, football player sued in alleged rape.
From: The Boston Herald | Date: June 9, 1998| Author: Estes, Andrea | COPYRIGHT 1998 Boston Herald.

A former Boston College student who says she was raped in her dorm room by a football player has filed suit against the school, charging officials failed to protect her from the attack.

The student, who dropped out after the alleged assault, also sued the former BC mental health worker who treated her afterward, and the football player whom she charges raped her repeatedly in October 1995. . . .

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-56377637.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/16/michael.phelps/index.html

Not enough evidence to charge Phelps, sheriff says

(CNN) -- Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps will not face criminal charges in connection with a November party at which he was photographed using a bong, a South Carolina sheriff said Monday.
Michael Phelps admitted "regrettable behavior" after a photo of him using a bong was published.

Michael Phelps admitted "regrettable behavior" after a photo of him using a bong was published.

"We do not believe we have enough evidence to prosecute anyone" who was at the party in Columbia, South Carolina, Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott told reporters, adding that authorities are ending their investigation into Phelps.

"We had a photo, and we had him saying he was sorry for his inappropriate behavior," Lott said. "That behavior could have been going to a party. ... He never said, 'I smoked marijuana.' He never confessed to that. We didn't have physical evidence. We didn't have enough where we could go arrest him."

Phelps, 23, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, admitted "regrettable behavior" after a British newspaper published the photograph about two weeks ago. The tabloid News of the World showed Phelps using the bong during what it said was a November party at the University of South Carolina in Columbia.

A bong is a device commonly used to smoke marijuana. University police and Columbia police both said they would not pursue charges against Phelps.

Lott said the photo that surfaced of Phelps put him and his department in a "no-win situation." If he had ignored it, he said, he would have faced criticism, but he also was criticized for investigating.

However, he said, the photo did initiate an investigation into goings-on at the home where the party took place, and some people were arrested on suspicion of drug possession. The home has been the focus of previous drug-related investigations, he said.

He defended his investigation, saying, "As a cop, my responsibility is to enforce the law, not to create it or ignore it. Marijuana in the state of South Carolina is illegal."

Lott said he has not spoken to Phelps, but hopes the swimming champion has learned from his mistakes and is willing to share an anti-drug message with children.

________________________ ________________________ _______

I'm glad this didn't turn into another stupid circus that wasted money. 

As i was saying, they had nothing.

body88

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »

(CNN) -- Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps will not face criminal charges in connection with a November party at which he was photographed using a bong, a South Carolina sheriff said Monday.

"We do not believe we have enough evidence to prosecute anyone" who was at the party in Columbia, South Carolina, Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott told reporters, adding that authorities are ending their investigation into Phelps.

"We had a photo, and we had him saying he was sorry for his inappropriate behavior," Lott said. "That behavior could have been going to a party. ... He never said, 'I smoked marijuana.' He never confessed to that. We didn't have physical evidence. We didn't have enough where we could go arrest him."

Phelps, 23, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, admitted "regrettable behavior" after a British newspaper published the photograph about two weeks ago. The tabloid News of the World showed Phelps using the bong during what it said was a November party at the University of South Carolina in Columbia.

A bong is a device commonly used to smoke marijuana. University police and Columbia police both said they would not pursue charges against Phelps.

Lott said the photo that surfaced of Phelps put him and his department in a "no-win situation." If he had ignored it, he said, he would have faced criticism, but he also was criticized for investigating.

However, he said, the photo did initiate an investigation into goings-on at the home where the party took place, and some people were arrested on suspicion of drug possession. The home has been the focus of previous drug-related investigations, he said.

He defended his investigation, saying, "As a cop, my responsibility is to enforce the law, not to create it or ignore it. Marijuana in the state of South Carolina is illegal."

Lott said he has not spoken to Phelps, but hopes the swimming champion has learned from his mistakes and is willing to share an anti-drug message with children.

Good.  However, parents all over the world who depend on pro athletes to be role models to their kids are going to be pissed!

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
I have actually dranken with Colt at a local bar during Monday Night football, talked to him for about 5 minutes, he seemed really cool and down to earth.   But Im srue that girl wasnt the same for awhile after he went in her dorm room and refused to leave.  And that is what he plead to for starters, who knows what really happened.  So you cant really compare taht to someone smoking pot in a frat house.

But anyway, as for Phelps, hes an idiot for hitting a bong with some people who were obviously not freinds with him.   I doutb he even knew someone had taken a picture of him.   Those kids are assholes and Im glad whomever took teh pic and tried to make money on it got arrested.   But other than that, a few kids smoking pot in their own home?  who cares, the sheriff has other things he could be wasting his resources on.

Why should Phelps give up his sponsors?  Hes only young and a famous athlhete for a little while, he needs to cash in while he can. 

Valhalla awaits.

body88

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
I have actually dranken with Colt at a local bar during Monday Night football, talked to him for about 5 minutes, he seemed really cool and down to earth.   But Im srue that girl wasnt the same for awhile after he went in her dorm room and refused to leave.  And that is what he plead to for starters, who knows what really happened.  So you cant really compare taht to someone smoking pot in a frat house.

But anyway, as for Phelps, hes an idiot for hitting a bong with some people who were obviously not freinds with him.   I doutb he even knew someone had taken a picture of him.   Those kids are assholes and Im glad whomever took teh pic and tried to make money on it got arrested.   But other than that, a few kids smoking pot in their own home?  who cares, the sheriff has other things he could be wasting his resources on.

Why should Phelps give up his sponsors?  Hes only young and a famous athlhete for a little while, he needs to cash in while he can. 

Exactly.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »

To say "they had nothing" is an overstatement.  They had the picture and everyone knows what he was doing in the picture.  That said, much harder to go after him without at least one person in the room helping the cops.  Plus they never talked to Phelps, which is a little strange. 

The cop summarized what I've been saying all along:    "As a cop, my responsibility is to enforce the law, not to create it or ignore it. Marijuana in the state of South Carolina is illegal."

In other words, it doesn't matter whether some people think it should be legal.  The law is the law. 

I also agree with cop in this regard:  "Lott said he has not spoken to Phelps, but hopes the swimming champion has learned from his mistakes and is willing to share an anti-drug message with children."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »

I don't really know him, but I sat next to him on the plane from Hawaii to California a while back.  Great kid.  Humble, grounded, friendly.  He has never let his success go to his head.  I really admire him. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »
To say "they had nothing" is an overstatement.  They had the picture and everyone knows what he was doing in the picture.  That said, much harder to go after him without at least one person in the room helping the cops.  Plus they never talked to Phelps, which is a little strange. 

The cop summarized what I've been saying all along:    "As a cop, my responsibility is to enforce the law, not to create it or ignore it. Marijuana in the state of South Carolina is illegal."

In other words, it doesn't matter whether some people think it should be legal.  The law is the law. 

I also agree with cop in this regard:  "Lott said he has not spoken to Phelp, but hopes the swimming champion has learned from his mistakes and is willing to share an anti-drug message with children."

It's not an overstatement at all, instead it's how our justice system is set up.  They had nothing "to convict him with".  Which is what i was saying all along.  the whole thing was a gesture to appease the whistle blowers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2009, 12:33:34 PM »
Promoter cancels Phelps speaking events in Canada
Associated Press

CALGARY, Alberta — Michael Phelps has been dropped as the keynote speaker at two events in Canada next week, with the promoter citing the Olympic champion swimmer's "widely publicized alleged use of marijuana."

Power Within Inc. of Toronto, which organizes motivational speaking events, canceled Phelps' appearances at events in Calgary and Vancouver, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported.

Power Within initially stood by the swimmer, but has now booked actor Martin Sheen as its keynote speaker for the Calgary event. The Vancouver event will feature Mehmet Oz, a regular on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

"Due to widely publicized alleged use of marijuana by Michael Phelps, the decision has been made to present the program without Mr. Phelps' participation," the company said in statement released to several Canadian media outlets.

A British tabloid published a picture of Phelps smoking from a marijuana pipe at a party in Columbia, S.C., last November. Police said last week there was not enough evidence to charge Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Phelps has apologized for his actions, acknowledging he used "bad judgment" after the photo appeared.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090225/BREAKING/90225033

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Promoter cancels Phelps speaking events in Canada
Associated Press

CALGARY, Alberta — Michael Phelps has been dropped as the keynote speaker at two events in Canada next week, with the promoter citing the Olympic champion swimmer's "widely publicized alleged use of marijuana."

Power Within Inc. of Toronto, which organizes motivational speaking events, canceled Phelps' appearances at events in Calgary and Vancouver, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported.

Power Within initially stood by the swimmer, but has now booked actor Martin Sheen as its keynote speaker for the Calgary event. The Vancouver event will feature Mehmet Oz, a regular on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

"Due to widely publicized alleged use of marijuana by Michael Phelps, the decision has been made to present the program without Mr. Phelps' participation," the company said in statement released to several Canadian media outlets.

A British tabloid published a picture of Phelps smoking from a marijuana pipe at a party in Columbia, S.C., last November. Police said last week there was not enough evidence to charge Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Phelps has apologized for his actions, acknowledging he used "bad judgment" after the photo appeared.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090225/BREAKING/90225033

the gayness continues

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »