Author Topic: So who is preparing or prepared for the total collapse?  (Read 11926 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
So who is preparing or prepared for the total collapse?
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »

Looks like a lot of people saying it’s all going to fall apart.  Just in case, are you stocking up, if so what?  For how many months?  Generator?  Fuel? Food? Water?  What and how much, do tell.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: So who is preparing or prepared for the total collapse?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
I ordered the next 36 months of FLEX and MD in advance. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
I ordered the next 36 months of FLEX and MD in advance. 

Bahahahaha ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:05:23 AM »
actually with all the posts being made by everybody, this thread may be more serious than I intended.  Comments anyone?

Ok, I was serious.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:21:54 AM »

Looks like a lot of people saying it’s all going to fall apart.  Just in case, are you stocking up, if so what?  For how many months?  Generator?  Fuel? Food? Water?  What and how much, do tell.

Is there really such a thing as preparing for such an event???. I don't think anyone really is aware of what a TOTAL COLLAPSE would involve. Stocking up food??? water??? sanitation??? medical supplies and emergencies??? What TONNAGE of food would be necessary? and how long would this event take place? The 29 depression went on for years. The idea of hiding inside ones home for indefinite periods of time is ludicrous at best. Living in utter fear is worst as it promotes insecurities, violence and an inability to work as a community...suddenly everyone is suspicious to everyone. In all honesty I am not sure what a person could or should do as I don't think but a few are alive who lived through the depression who can tell how they coped. Cities are much bigger, alternative means of survival are much fewer, living off the land is nearly impossible given the speed of a collapse and the unpreparedness to adapt to rural lifestyles on a whim. A collapse would involve the loss of electricity, gas, phones, transportation and in particular hospitals. What would a society do? It would be catastrophic at best and uncivilized at the least. At best americans can only pray that it does NOT happen...
C

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:02 AM »
Is there really such a thing as preparing for such an event???. I don't think anyone really is aware of what a TOTAL COLLAPSE would involve. Stocking up food??? water??? sanitation??? medical supplies and emergencies??? What TONNAGE of food would be necessary? and how long would this event take place? The 29 depression went on for years. The idea of hiding inside ones home for indefinite periods of time is ludicrous at best. Living in utter fear is worst as it promotes insecurities, violence and an inability to work as a community...suddenly everyone is suspicious to everyone. In all honesty I am not sure what a person could or should do as I don't think but a few are alive who lived through the depression who can tell how they coped. Cities are much bigger, alternative means of survival are much fewer, living off the land is nearly impossible given the speed of a collapse and the unpreparedness to adapt to rural lifestyles on a whim. A collapse would involve the loss of electricity, gas, phones, transportation and in particular hospitals. What would a society do? It would be catastrophic at best and uncivilized at the least. At best americans can only pray that it does NOT happen...
you're right, very right. but an innitial stock of supplies might get some by the innitial shock wave and able to set or gear themselves up for the long haul.  where those who might not have anything when shit hits the fan will find the worst right off the bat.

also your right, for many this isn't going to even be an option if this happens and that's sad...  don't know what to say to that, it's just a fact.

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:25 AM »
Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best:

Guns: 12 gauge tactical with 9 shot capacity, 45 calibre pistol, 22 calibre rifle (plenty of ammo for all)

Food: 600 pounds of rice, 200 pounds of pasta, 200 pounds oatmeal, 300 cans Chunky Soup, 600 cans of various other goodies, lots of spices, sugar, salt etc.

Water: No need to stockpile much of it where I live

Other Useful Items: Bear spray, nano masks, iodine tabs, Bible, knives

Get buying your stuff cuz soon your money is gonna be worthless.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »
Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best:

Guns: 12 gauge tactical with 9 shot capacity, 45 calibre pistol, 22 calibre rifle (plenty of ammo for all)

Food: 600 pounds of rice, 200 pounds of pasta, 200 pounds oatmeal, 300 cans Chunky Soup, 600 cans of various other goodies, lots of spices, sugar, salt etc.

Water: No need to stockpile much of it where I live

Other Useful Items: Bear spray, nano masks, iodine tabs, Bible, knives

Get buying your stuff cuz soon your money is gonna be worthless.
good list for the most part.  What about a generator and fuel? 

Protien too.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:00:58 AM »

good position.  any other provisions you would recommend?

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:27 AM »

Not to be defeatist Bindare, but you are doing or thinking of doing the very thing I wrote in my post above. You are living in FEAR, you are suspicious of everyone and because of that everyone will be suspicious of you and will (re)act accordingly. Thinking that guns will save you is ridiculous. I can see already that violence is you M.O. and working with or helping anyone else out will be out of the question as fear will have you believing that everyone you see is OUT TO GET YOU OR YOUR FOOD. While you have listed what seems to be a lot of food, I guarantee you it will be gone in NO TIME. Sadly the people who will go most ROGUE in society will be the police and the military. It will be immediate that they are robbing stores, people, communities and all for the sake of surviving (remember the cops during the Katrina hurricane). While a cabin on a lake seems secluded and safe...I guarantee you those secluded areas will be the first that people will go to (right after they hit the well to do neighborhoods) knowing that many have fled to such areas with supplies in hopes of avoiding the problems. Also have you ever lived in such seclusion? Is the water in the lake safe to drink? are the fish safe to eat? sadly many of these lakes and fish seem pristine (test the water), but are loaded with chemical runoff or poisoned in some other way. Taking a dip now and then or eating some fish while camping maybe fun once in a while, but doing it for a great length of time may expose you to harmful if not deadly toxins and the task of living in such silence (not even a radio) can bring about madness. I remember from history class that the homestead acts which paid people  to move west failed miserably for the new comers, because the isolation drove many insane and these people filled the insane asylums after being alone for extended periods of time. Again I am not being defeatist..just real. Ideally what you desire to do sounds great, but what one thinks about and what one does and the outcome can be dramatically different than what is expected....
C

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »
Not to be defeatist Bindare, but you are doing or thinking of doing the very thing I wrote in my post above. You are living in FEAR, you are suspicious of everyone and because of that everyone will be suspicious of you and will (re)act accordingly. Thinking that guns will save you is ridiculous. I can see already that violence is you M.O. and working with or helping anyone else out will be out of the question as fear will have you believing that everyone you see is OUT TO GET YOU OR YOUR FOOD. While you have listed what seems to be a lot of food, I guarantee you it will be gone in NO TIME. Sadly the people who will go most ROGUE in society will be the police and the military. It will be immediate that they are robbing stores, people, communities and all for the sake of surviving (remember the cops during the Katrina hurricane). While a cabin on a lake seems secluded and safe...I guarantee you those secluded areas will be the first that people will go to (right after they hit the well to do neighborhoods) knowing that many have fled to such areas with supplies in hopes of avoiding the problems. Also have you ever lived in such seclusion? Is the water in the lake safe to drink? are the fish safe to eat? sadly many of these lakes and fish seem pristine (test the water), but are loaded with chemical runoff or poisoned in some other way. Taking a dip now and then or eating some fish while camping maybe fun once in a while, but doing it for a great length of time may expose you to harmful if not deadly toxins and the task of living in such silence (not even a radio) can bring about madness. I remember from history class that the homestead acts which paid people  to move west failed miserably for the new comers, because the isolation drove many insane and these people filled the insane asylums after being alone for extended periods of time. Again I am not being defeatist..just real. Ideally what you desire to do sounds great, but what one thinks about and what one does and the outcome can be dramatically different than what is expected....
Knowlegde does not equal fear. 

Fear was the duct tape plastic episode after 9/11.  I think/hope we're past such bs.  But with this economic crap being a very real posibility, it sure doesn't hurt to be stocked up.  Especially with supplies that have a long shelf life.  If nothing happens, you just did some shopping in advance and if some other natural catasophe occures, you're hooked up so it's good even if there isn't a problem now.  Better safe than sorry and geared to where you didn't lose either way.  Has nothing to do with fear.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:07 AM »
This all reminds me of Y2K.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 03:25:53 AM »
This all reminds me of Y2K.
not me, I knew y2k was pure crap ;)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:54:46 AM »
Samson is right in a lot of ways but also very wrong.  In a shit hits the fan scenario you have to look out for yourself and your family.  Le'ts face it .....we don't live in the 1920's and 1930's where people pretty much lived on farms for the most part or owned land.  The country was much more accessible etc.  There was much more a sense of community.  We are also much more reliant on other people for our ability to survive....i.e. grocery stores for food.......the city for clean water.  We also live in a much more dangerous world.  Lots of criminals and other people that just need that reason to become a criminal walking around our streets WITH guns.  If the economy collapses it will be MUCH rougher on the average person than any depression of the 30's.  The government will be out in droves patrolling and controlling everything.  Rioting, looting will happen on massive scale.  Don't think for a moment it wouldn't.  I mean come on..........look at the shit that happens on a daily basis when our society is INTACT! ??????????  There will be a lot of good people that wll band together and help each other........always have and always will be.  But we are talking something the likes we have never seen in the history of our country.  Lots of families and people lived off the grid so to speak in the 1930's.  Not true nowadays.  I mean shit I'd hate to be in a huge city when the SHTF.  You thought Katrin was bad????? Fuck LA and NYC would be fucking nightmares. 

I just laugh when I see all these stupid Hollywood people or other rich celebs on tv.  Their money won't mean shit in a economic collapse.  Nobody's will.  They'll be like every other joe struggling to survive. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 05:06:46 AM »
I always thought it would be cool to ride the rails across the country!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 05:09:00 AM »
All jokes aside, most my assets aren't liquid - businesses and property. I was intending to anyway, but I am liquidating at a greater rate now as our dollar is pegged to the US dollar, and although many Americans don't care - I care deeply about the dollar since I travel, move, partly live and spend larger amounts of money abroad, and with all due respect don't feel too great having what is a large amount [to me] stuck in US currency. I long dumped my actual cash out of the US dollar.

Plus, so my sibling - who is all uber geeky and Ivy League educated tells me - now is the time to buy some stocks, and my money would be better off there.

That said, I don't think for a split second the US will collapse, it won't - ever. But I have been on the negative end traveling with a weaker US dollar, and it really isn't too cute.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:14:04 AM »
All jokes aside, most my assets aren't liquid - businesses and property. I was intending to anyway, but I am liquidating at a greater rate now as our dollar is pegged to the US dollar, and although many Americans don't care - I care deeply about the dollar since I travel, move, partly live and spend larger amounts of money abroad, and with all due respect don't feel too great having what is a large amount [to me] stuck in US currency. I long dumped my actual cash out of the US dollar.

Plus, so my sibling - who is all uber geeky and Ivy League educated tells me - now is the time to buy some stocks, and my money would be better off there.

That said, I don't think for a split second the US will collapse, it won't - ever. But I have been on the negative end traveling with a weaker US dollar, and it really isn't too cute.

haha I'm sure Russia, England, China, Rome and just about every powerful country at one time thought the same thing.  America may not collapse tomorrow, or even in our lifetime.  But if we keep in the direction we are headed it will be here sooner rather than later.  I mean how can you even think for a second it could never happen?  The entire world economy is on the brink of something never seen in the history of the world.  Either you're naive or really don't grasp the seriousness of the situation.  With all due respect. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 05:18:56 AM »

at best we can pray? :-\.yea ok....
DAWG

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:36 AM »

Here is my plan so far:

1.  I have three SHTF duffle bags.  One at home, one at work, and one in the car.  I have everything I need in there for most scenarios and for three to five days of survival.  

2.  My friend owns a hunting store near me and I got everything I need before its banned that is still legal.  I am focusing on ammo mostly since i already have rifles, handguns, and a shotgun.

3.  Get water to last you at least a week.  Its cheap and stores well.

4.  I need to get canned food to stock up.

5.  Keep your cars filled with gas.

6.  Keep a stash of cash.

7.  Get a crank/solar radio that does not need battiers to operate.

Make  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 05:21:24 AM »
Paragraphs would be nice.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 05:27:40 AM »
Samson is right in a lot of ways but also very wrong.  In a shit hits the fan scenario you have to look out for yourself and your family.  Le'ts face it .....we don't live in the 1920's and 1930's where people pretty much lived on farms for the most part or owned land.  The country was much more accessible etc.  There was much more a sense of community.  We are also much more reliant on other people for our ability to survive....i.e. grocery stores for food.......the city for clean water.  We also live in a much more dangerous world.  Lots of criminals and other people that just need that reason to become a criminal walking around our streets WITH guns.  If the economy collapses it will be MUCH rougher on the average person than any depression of the 30's.  The government will be out in droves patrolling and controlling everything.  Rioting, looting will happen on massive scale.  Don't think for a moment it wouldn't.  I mean come on..........look at the shit that happens on a daily basis when our society is INTACT! ??????????  There will be a lot of good people that wll band together and help each other........always have and always will be.  But we are talking something the likes we have never seen in the history of our country.  Lots of families and people lived off the grid so to speak in the 1930's.  Not true nowadays.  I mean shit I'd hate to be in a huge city when the SHTF.  You thought Katrin was bad????? Fuck LA and NYC would be fucking nightmares. 

I just laugh when I see all these stupid Hollywood people or other rich celebs on tv.  Their money won't mean shit in a economic collapse.  Nobody's will.  They'll be like every other joe struggling to survive. 
good post

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »
Paragraphs would be nice.

333386 instead of canned food you should look into freeze dried backpacking type food or MREs.  Richmoor, BackPacker's Pantry, etc.  You can find some good deals on ebay.  They only require water and are a lot lighter than canned food.......i.e. very mobile they last for 5 years and taste way better than canned food.  They have shit like brownies, cinnamon rolls, Pad Thai?  LOL.    You can throw several in your bug out bags.  

This is a cool site www.mredepot.com 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »
Here is my plan so far:

1.  I have three SHTF duffle bags.  One at home, one at work, and one in the car.  I have everything I need in there for most scenarios and for three to five days of survival.  

2.  My friend owns a hunting store near me and I got everything I need before its banned that is still legal.  I am focusing on ammo mostly since i already have rifles, handguns, and a shotgun.

3.  Get water to last you at least a week.  Its cheap and stores well.

4.  I need to get canned food to stock up.

5.  Keep your cars filled with gas.

6.  Keep a stash of cash.

7.  Get a crank/solar radio that does not need battiers to operate.

Make  

not bad but sounds like more of a list for a natural disaster and not something that can go for months or more...