Author Topic: Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again  (Read 65325 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Ex-eBay CEO Whitman stirs up CA governor's race
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
A caller on Rush's show made a good point. Do the Dems in California really want to elect Jerry Brown, knowing that, with a GOP-controlled House, they ain't getting bailed out, should they keep spending themselves into oblivion.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
Cause Mal - I know you think I'm some crazy nut & and maybe I am, but if you met me in person - we probably would be tight like friends from the block. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
Cause Mal - I know you think I'm some crazy nut & and maybe I am, but if you met me in person - we probably would be tight like friends from the block. 

I know... i dont take no internet shit serious...me and chaos bumped heads on this thread and we cool in real life..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »
I know... i dont take no internet shit serious...me and chaos bumped heads on this thread and we cool in real life..

I have screamining matches with some of my boys on stuff and we laugh it off seconds later. We still tight.   Your a good guy, and that is why i never take anything too much seriously on the internet.   

Its fun though.  This site is cool cause we can all scream at each other and just laugh it off seconds later.  If you go to othwer site, that does not occur. 

That is why I like getbig - we are all cool with each other - even when we want to strangle each other at times. 

I know the deal bro. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
I have screamining matches with some of my boys on stuff and we laugh it off seconds later. We still tight.   Your a good guy, and that is why i never take anything too much seriously on the internet.   

Its fun though.  This site is cool cause we can all scream at each other and just laugh it off seconds later.  If you go to othwer site, that does not occur. 

That is why I like getbig - we are all cool with each other - even when we want to strangle each other at times. 

I know the deal bro. 

My Very best friend...i was the best man for his wedding....is a neo con repub...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
I'm telling you, i have posted at many many many sites on a lot of stuff for years,  but GetBig is the best off all cause the posters here are cool as hell. 

You go to other sites - its gets all stupid and personal and people get all offended and don't have a sense of humor. 

BTW - where did stuff like this go?  I'm still jamming only to PE, Run Dmc, Mc Lyte, KRS, slayer, Megadeth, Maiden, etc

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »
Bay, why are you still avoiding Ozmo's questions? You really lost credibility here.  :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
Bay, why are you still avoiding Ozmo's questions? You really lost credibility here.  :-\

She must have made an anti-gay remark somewhere in her past.  You know BF, those twinks are a vindictive and non-forgiving bunch. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »
She must have made an anti-gay remark somewhere in her past.  You know BF, those twinks are a vindictive and non-forgiving bunch. 

I'm still laughing at the fact that he called undecided voters idiots when he apparently has no idea where Brown stands on any of the issues and is voting for him solely because he's a democrat.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
Wow!  This really makes her look bad!  :-[

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
Whitman ends campaign by lashing out at media, Brown
She insists that the race is closer than a recent Times/USC poll showed, as her ads shift to a softer-focus characterization of the former EBay chief.
By Seema Mehta and Michael J. Mishak, Los Angeles Times

As Republican gubernatorial nominee Meg Whitman seeks to regain momentum before election day, she is lashing out at the media and rival Jerry Brown, while trying to soften her persona in advertisements and mailers.

Her campaign insists that she is following a charted course and that the race remains tight. But political observers say that a rapidly changing strategy is a tacit acknowledgement that Whitman's campaign juggernaut — fueled by $141 million of her own money — has stalled.

"It's like in sports: You don't change a winning strategy and you always change a losing strategy," said Bruce Cain, a political science professor at UC Berkeley. "The fact they're changing strategies … usually signifies they know what the truth is, and the truth is not good."

On the campaign trail and in interviews, Whitman is increasingly interrupting her standard jobs-and-schools talking points to emphasize that she feels under attack.

"I have been called a liar, I've been called a whore and I've been called a Nazi by his campaign," she said Wednesday morning on Fox News Channel's America's Newsroom.

Days earlier, she flogged Brown and his labor allies for exaggerating her position on immigration to the Latino community, repeatedly saying that "It makes me mad."

Whitman is going out of her way to criticize as "bunk" a Sunday Los Angeles Times/USC poll that showed Brown leading by 13 points among likely voters.

Her criticism has not extended to other recent public polls, which have consistently shown Whitman trailing Brown by high single digits.

At campaign events Wednesday, she insisted that her internal polling shows the race to be tight.

"Our polls show this is a dead heat and you're going to start to see some polls come out that show that this is a dead heat," she said in Riverside. "And in a dead heat, we win because the people who want to take back Sacramento are going to come to the polls in huge numbers."

But the candidate is clearly responding to poll findings that suggest voters are skeptical of her character. In the Times poll, more than half of likely voters had a negative view of Whitman. By almost a 2-1 margin, voters said Brown was more truthful.

Recent mail pieces have featured softly focused pictures of the candidate as a young woman and of her two children when they were young, and quotes such as "At the end of the day, my family remains my greatest source of pride."

And in a 60-second ad, Whitman looks directly into the camera and declares, "I know many of you see this election as an unhappy choice between a longtime politician with no plan for the future and a billionaire with no government experience. Let me tell you my story. My husband and I came here as newlyweds. We raised our family here."

Such efforts to depict the former EBay chief as a mother and wife, and under attack, could be an effort to win sympathy, according to political observers. And they could also be meant to counter negative perceptions that stem from eight months of tough campaigning against her primary opponent, Steve Poizner, and against Brown.

"A lot of Californians have a negative view of Meg Whitman, and they're trying to erase that side of the equation," Jack Pitney, a government professor at Claremont McKenna College and former national GOP official, said of the campaign's strategy.

Campaign officials insist that they always planned to return to a biographical message in the closing days.

"We feel late in a campaign, it's important for a candidate to be able to connect personally with voters. In a state the size of California, unfortunately, for most voters that's going to have to be through television advertisements," said Rob Stutzman, a senior advisor to Whitman. "The closing argument coming right from the candidate almost always makes a lot of sense. She wanted to be able to look in the eyes of voters and make that appeal from her heart about what this whole endeavor is about for her."

Tony Quinn, a Republican demographer, said he doubted that either Whitman's or Brown's recent ads matter at this late date, when television commercial breaks swarm with wall-to-wall political offerings from a plethora of candidates and ballot measures.

"At this point, frankly, the ads are having very little effect," he said. "It seems very strange to me to be pushing these TV ads this late in the cycle. I think people are really tuning them out."

On Wednesday, the two campaigns continued a clash that began the day before during a joint appearance at a women's conference in Long Beach. When the candidates were asked to pledge to end their negative ads, Brown said he would if Whitman agreed. Whitman said no, drawing boos from the crowd.

Whitman stood by her decision Wednesday.

"I am going to do something that's been lacking in government for a long time: I'm going to treat Californians like adults," Whitman said. "And I told that group of women the truth yesterday, which is we're going to run a race on the issues. We are going to focus on Jerry Brown's record and then voters are going to have a choice about who they want to lead this state. I think I treated everyone straight up. I told it like it is and that's what I'm going to continue to do."

Brown on Wednesday renewed his call for a pledge and released a new ad that showed the Tuesday exchange, which grew visibly uncomfortable for Whitman as the chorus of boos erupted.

Still, as Brown was releasing his ad and calling for Whitman to trim her negative ads, his Democratic allies launched a new attack on Whitman. Her campaign immediately accused the Democrat of hypocrisy.

Brown had no public appearances scheduled Wednesday. In a recent interview, he said that he is focused on "message discipline."

"They told me don't say anything too controversial," he said on MSNBC'S "Daily Rundown."

On Wednesday, his campaign laid out Brown's schedule for the final days, when he will make 13 stops in 12 cities.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2010, 02:52:45 AM »
Wow!  This really makes her look bad!  :-[

So does her jacket.
G

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »
Whitman says her former housekeeper should be deported
October 28, 2010 |  2:34 pm

As Republican gubernatorial nominee Meg Whitman tours parts of California that have traditionally been receptive to GOP candidates, she's also appealing directly to conservative TV audiences, hoping to fire up her party's base.

On Wednesday, she appeared on Fox News and took a harder line on Nicky Diaz Santillan, the illegal immigrant who Whitman employed as a housekeeper for nine years. Since the controversy erupted in September, Whitman has said both she and a hiring agency relied on documents that turned out to be false and that she fired Diaz Santillan when the woman disclosed her immigration status last year.

Until now she has declined to comment on whether the former housekeeper should be deported. But Wednesday, in an interview with Greta Van Susteren, Whitman answered the question head on. "Well, the answer is it breaks my heart, but she should be deported because she forged documents and she lied about her immigration status," Whitman said. "And it breaks my heart. Gloria Allred pulled off a political stunt. And you know what? On Nov. 3, no one's going to care about Nicky Diaz. But the law is the law and we live in the rule of law. It's important."

Whitman used the controversy to argue for a stronger electronic verification system for employers. "Gosh, I'm a testament to someone who saw a valid California driver's license, a Social Security card and it was all, you know, was -- she was not here legally. So we've got to do that," she said. "If you hire, knowingly hire undocumented workers, you know, there has to be a penalty for that."

She also argued that as a Republican she would be a critical check on the Democrat-dominated Legislature. "If Jerry Brown is the next governor of California, a Democratic governor with a Democratically controlled Legislature, you won't recognize California in two or three or four years," she said. "So I will provide a check to that Legislature and I will also lead that Legislature."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Me too.   Ship her out. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: October 28, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
Fresno Bee Recommends
Brown for California governor

Attorney general has shown a better grasp of the complicated issues facing our state.

California's next governor will face some of the biggest challenges of any governor in the Golden State's history. The inability of legislative Democrats and Republicans to confront the budget in an honest way will immediately put the new administration in a financial emergency.

California has been in crisis mode for too long, and we need a governor who can steer the state along a steady path of recovery. The attitude that California is not governable must be rejected. The state's problems have resulted from our leaders refusing to govern, and then blaming their incompetence on California being a big, unwieldy state.
Early in the campaign, Meg Whitman seemed to offer new ideas from an outsider's perspective. That was appealing. But she quickly got caught up in the insider's political game. She began parroting right-wing radio talking points. While that may be enough for some voters, we were hoping for more substance from Whitman.

We believe that Attorney General Jerry Brown would be a more effective leader and recommend him for governor.

Like Carly Fiorina, a Republican Senate candidate recommended by The Bee, Whitman forged an amazingly successful career in business. Californians held out hope that Whitman could translate that experience into leadership to help turn around Sacramento. Unfortunately, Whitman appeared to compromise her own values in the primary to court the far right, and was forced to backtrack on issues like immigration in the general election as she pursued support of independent voters, Latinos and moderate Democrats.

This disingenuous behavior in the election cycle is exactly opposite of the leadership so badly needed in Sacramento today. Brown was correct in the Oct. 2 debate at Fresno State when he told Whitman, "You can't have it both ways."

We also are concerned about Whitman's spotty voting record prior to being a candidate. Not performing her civic duty for several years is evidence that she wasn't concerned about California public policy until she decided she wanted to be governor.

It is not as if California is enchanted with Brown, the former two-term governor. We are troubled by his intimate relationship with the public employee unions. He must show more independence from the Democratic Party line.

But Brown's support for much-needed public pension reform doesn't make the unions happy. He also told us that he's concerned about excessive public employee salaries and benefits. He promised "very tough cuts" if he's elected governor.

During the campaign, Brown has shown a better grasp of the issues facing California. He also understands the realities of being governor, and how to move policy initiatives through the political system.

Whitman looks lost when she ventures beyond the carefully scripted campaign themes crafted by her highly paid consultants. We would like to hear Whitman sit down and speak from the heart. Voters might actually like what she has to offer, but we may never see it.

In this time of crisis, Jerry Brown is better prepared to be governor.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: October 29, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »
 :'(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: October 29, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
Gloria Allred: 'Pete Wilson and Meg Whitman deserve each other'

Attorney Gloria Allred has issued a blistering response to former Gov. Pete Wilson's criticism of her, as told to The Bee this week, and released a 1986 letter in which Wilson expresses "great admiration" for Allred and congratulates her for receiving an award from President Ronald Reagan.

Wilson had criticized Allred for allegedly putting her client, Nicky Diaz Santillan, at risk of deportation by organizing a Sept. 29 news conference in which Diaz Santillan said Whitman had employed her for nine years despite having reason to know she was in the country illegally. Whitman responded that she only learned of her housekeeper's immigration status in June 2009 and then fired her.

In the e-mail sent to The Bee, Allred expressed doubt over Wilson's shows of sympathy for Diaz Santillan.

"Wilson appears to suggest that he has some concern for Nicky ( Meg Whitman's former housekeeper)," Allred wrote. "I believe that he has as much concern for her welfare as does Meg Whitman. Neither of them care one iota about Nicky. They only care about their own self interest."

The Bee has requested a response from Wilson.

He had earlier told The Bee about Allred, "She did something that is I think downright unethical for a lawyer to do. She totally compromised her client and exposed her to criminal charges, not just those for illegal entry but for perjury."

In her e-mail, Allred also accused Wilson of hypocrisy for criticizing her. In the 1986 letter released by the celebrity attorney, then-U.S. Sen. Wilson stated, "It is with great admiration that I write to congratulate you on on your receipt of the Volunteer Action Award from President Ronald Reagan."

Allred said in today's e-mail: "In 1986 then United States Senator Pete Wilson sent me a personal letter expressing his great admiration for me. Now that his candidate is losing he sinks to a new low even for him by engaging in personal attacks on me. I am honored to represent my client, Nicky, but Pete Wilson should be embarrassed to be associated with Meg Whitman."

Allred concluded with some political arrows directed at the former governor and Whitman.

"Pete Wilson and Meg Whitman deserve each other, and on November 3 Pete Wilson will have the dubious distinction of having been the chairman of yet another losing campaign."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2010/10/gloria-allred-pete-wilson-and.html#ixzz13nId5auA

Ouch!  :'(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: October 30, 2010, 05:14:17 AM »
Gloria Allred?   ::)  ::)

No wonder your state is so f$%^^&

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »
Meg Whitman softens focus in campaign's final days
Carla Marinucci,Joe Garofoli, Chronicle Political Writers

Meg Whitman stopped by a Cuban bakery in Glendale Friday. And in the past few days, she's also hit a pizza parlor, an ice cream shop and a diner.

With a Field Poll this week showing the GOP gubernatorial candidate trailing Democrat Jerry Brown by 10 points - and with more than half of Californians having a negative view of her - Whitman's Rolls-Royce campaign is trying something new: Honda Civic-style charm.

The former eBay CEO is sliding into diner booths and talking to small-town voters, sampling goodies at butcher shops, waving to passers-by, strolling Main Streets and airing soft-focus ads that rhapsodize about how "real" she is.

With three days left in a campaign that has lasted 18 months and cost her $142 million of her own money, analysts are wondering why Whitman hasn't done more unscripted events like those before the final lap of her campaign.

The first-time Republican candidate has done hundreds of events around the state, but until recently many of them were characterized by their presidential-level profile - klieg lights, billboards proclaiming "Jobs are on the Way," and invited audiences with media access tightly controlled.

Mingling with the people
Whitman spokeswoman Andrea Jones Rivera said Friday that the candidate has mingled with everyday folks throughout her campaign.

"We are pleased that going into the final stretch we are talking about how likable and personable she is," Rivera said. "She is the kind of person people want to have over for dinner."

But political observers say Whitman could have used such exposure to people who lacked strong political beliefs from the start of her campaign. It could have softened her image, they say, while also helping the first-time candidate get some seasoning and experience thinking on her feet.

Whitman showed that inexperience this week at the Maria Shriver Women's Conference in Long Beach: In a conversation with her and her opponent, Democrat Jerry Brown, TV host Matt Lauer asked if she would drop her negative ads, as Brown had just agreed to do. She would not agree to drop the ads.

The audience of 14,000 people, most of them women, booed her.

"People are still wondering if she's a carbon-based life form," said A.G. Block, associate director of the UC Davis Institute of Governmental Affairs and the former editor of the nonpartisan California Journal.

"Voters want to get to know who the candidate is," Block said. "And we haven't seen Whitman do a lot of campaign stops where she was forced to think on her feet. And when she has, she has fallen flat."

Getting personal with voters
In an attempt to get more personal on the campaign trail, Whitman has in recent days:

-- Meandered down Main Street in Pleasanton, stopping in bars and ice cream parlors. But the Oct. 20 visit was scheduled at the start of the fourth game of the National League Championship Series between the San Francisco Giants and the Philadelphia Phillies. The few TV cameras that showed up left quickly, leaving the candidate walking the town for 90 minutes with only one reporter tagging along as she reached out to a couple dozen voters.

-- Two days later, Whitman appeared with fellow billionaire and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a San Jose graphic design company. When The Chronicle asked what she had learned on the campaign trail from someone who made minimum wage, she said: "I was just with someone the other day whose husband lost his job at a minimum-wage retail establishment because business is so bad that the retailer was laying off people."

-- In Glendale (Los Angeles County) on Friday, Whitman mingled with customers at Porto's Bakery but was also met by the California Nurses Association's star protester - the "Queen Meg" character - who showed up with crowds of nurses and teachers to voice their opposition to the Republican's plan to cut 40,000 state jobs.

Melinda Markowitz, president of the nurses union, managed to get the kind of access to Whitman that she wouldn't have had in the early days of the campaign: She walked up to the candidate and asked her to explain the cuts. Whitman "just kept smiling" and didn't answer, Markowitz said.

Campaign's strategy change
The candidate's media campaign modified its strategy two weeks ago to include advertisements with images of Whitman as a baby-kissing, diner-hopping candidate interspersed with ads slamming Brown as a smear merchant, "job-killer" and "failure."

This week, Whitman released a two-minute online ad that focuses on her campaign bus travels throughout the state. The ad captures Whitman with folks in small towns such as Burney (Shasta County) when they see Whitman up close and personal.

"It was an absolute surprise to see Meg today," one person said. "She stopped at every table, every single table along the way and greeted everybody," another said. "I would never have expected her to be in this area" yet another one said, "or be at the same place I was going to."

Rivera said Whitman's campaign staff has always seen her as personable, while Brown, she said, "spent his tenure in office 'closing down the bars,' and those are his words. People expect more than that from their leaders."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2010, 07:19:08 AM »
Meg Whitman stopped by a Cuban bakery in Glendale Friday. And in the past few days, she's also hit a pizza parlor, an ice cream shop and a diner.

She's carbing up for the Finals.  happens all the time in bodybuilding shows.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »
Meg Whitman's $150 Million Farce
October 30th, 2010 12:23 am PT

Since announcing her campaign for governor Feb 9, 2009, 54-year-old former eBay CEO Meg Whitman has spent over $150 million out of her $1.4 billion dot-com fortune spinning more yarn than Fruit-of-the-Loom. She packaged herself as a savvy businesswoman capable to turning around a grossly mismanaged state, the exact same message delivered by bodybuilder turned Hollywood actor Arnold Schwarzenegger who toppled former Democratic Gov. Gray Davis in a historic recall election Oct. 7, 2003. Like Arnold, Whitman sold herself as a political outsider needed to clean up Sacramento’s hopeless mess. After alienating just about everyone in state government on both sides of the aisle, Arnold leaves office with the lowest approval ratings in state history, sabotaging his political career. Whitman asks voters to believe she’d somehow do things differently.

Both Arnold and Meg like to define “insanity” as “doing the same old things and expecting different results,” offering a new fix for a set of old problems. No one has spent more cash than Meg trying to sell herself as a tough-minded former CEO, needing to crack heads in Sacramento. Arnold promised the same thing, selling his Hollywood credentials as proof of his competence. California’s seven-year experiment with a political neophyte ended in disaster. When Whitman debated former governor and current Atty. Gen. Gerry Brown in their first debate Sept. 28, she insisted she’d crack heads on employers hiring illegal aliens. One day later, celebrity attorney Gloria Allred announced that Meg employed illegal alien Nicky Diaz for nine years before firing her after “learning” that she provided Whitman, and her husband Stanford neurosurgeon Dr. Griffith Harsh, fake immigration papers.

Whitman antagonized the Latino community admitting that she terminated Diaz immediately after learning she was an undocumented worker. While calling her part of her extended family, Whitman insisted it “broke her heart” to fire Diaz for lying about her immigration status. Most believe that Meg fired Diaz in June 2009 to protect the ever-real possibility that Nicky’s story would leak to the media. Meg blasted Allred and the Brown campaign for dropping the bombshell less than 24 hours after their first debate. Whitman’s campaign has done everything possible to paint the incident as a cheap political shot, without producing a shred of proof that Allred was connected with the Brown campaign. Meg asked voters to suspend all disbelief and believe she was duped by her former housekeeper. She now insists that Diaz was manipulated by Allred and the Brown campaign.

Since the story broke Sept. 29, Meg’s poll numbers took a nearly 20-point slide, leading by 10 prior to the bombshell and losing by 10 afterwards. Her responses to the Diaz story has grown more surly as the campaign rolled on, now rudely dismissing the event as a dirty political trick. “Well, the answer is: It breaks my heart, but she should be deported, because she forged documents and she lied about her immigration status,” Whitman told reporters in Salinas, California. Her heartless final resolution about the Diaz mess adds insult-to-injury to a campaign in a rapid descent. Meg also dislikes questions about her lifelong voting record, voting for the first time for herself June 8 in the California primary. She dismisses questions about her lack of civic responsibility, explaining she’s “sorry” for not participating in the voting process but insisting she’s fit to run the state..

Whitman is getting a rude awakening about the rough-and-tumble of politics where slick public relations can’t gloss-over real questions about a candidate’s track record and character. Since launching his campaign after Labor Day, Brown watched his opponent self-destruct, landing a deadly prick to a media-inflated balloon, created by a $150 million of cleverly constructed political ads. “I think he wants to be appointed to this office, not elected,” Meg told supporters in Stockton, California, in a bizarre paradox since, she, not Brown, has spent lavishly out of her own pocket to get elected. Whitman insists, like Arnold did in 2003, that she’s beholden to no one since she financed the lion’s share of her own campaign. “We’re going to win this thing,” Whittman told an outdoor rally in Salinas, insisting her campaign’s polls showed she’s in a dead heat with Brown.

Whitman’s freefall in the polls stems from her exposure as a charlatan. Her carefully honed attack ads did a masterful job as long as the public didn’t see her in person during the Sept. 28 debate at UC Davis’ Mondavi Center. Voters saw first hand the Grand Canyon-like chasm between her campaign ads and the tired looking, inarticulate answers to journalists’ questions. Instead of answering directly, she recited talking points from her debate briefings and campaign ads. Less than 24 hours later, she was forced to explain her nine-year employment of an illegal alien. While mistakes do happen, she’s had a hard time finding the right answers, blaming the mess on attorney Gloria Allred and the nefarious Brown campaign. When voters give the final verdict Nov. 2, Meg will get her due: A rude awakening to arrogant billionaires that you can’t dupe an informed electorate.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: October 31, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
Mercury News editorial: Brown is the better candidate

Have we ever had two candidates for governor as different as Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown? It's hard to imagine -- which is why the choice is so obvious: Jerry Brown is not only the better candidate, he is the right person to restore reason in these times of anger, divisiveness and political posturing run amok.

Last week Brown was ahead in polls -- but the only poll that counts is the vote Tuesday. Your vote could be decisive in this and other races. This is no time to leave matters to others.

There are many serious questions on Tuesday's ballot, including some excellent and some terrible ballot propositions as well as local races that could determine cities' solvency and -- in the case of Santa Clara County's Measure A for children's health care -- define our humanity.

But nothing is more important than electing Brown, because state government is the root of so many local problems. We can't afford a lightweight governor spouting platitudes she thinks are new. We need a political grown-up who speaks his mind, actually knows something and can broker a deal -- a nearly lost art in Sacramento.

There are other clear choices at the top of the ballot, including returning Barbara Boxer to the U.S. Senate instead of electing Carly Fiorina, whose positions on social and environmental issues are so far right they make Boxer look moderate. Fiorina's failure as HP's CEO belies the theory that she can succeed in a Senate that's at least as ornery as the HP board.

Propositions
We've said over and over that Proposition 23, designed to cripple California's move toward a green economy, would be a disaster. We've warned that Proposition 26 would make it more difficult to pass fees to implement environmental laws. These are important No votes.

But remember to say Yes to Proposition 21. It would add an $18 fee to vehicle registration to guarantee not only survival but proper maintenance and free public access to California's great state parks. Underfunded for years, parks have been damaged by neglect and threatened with closure. Proposition 21 would emulate moves in other states to create a dedicated source of revenue for parks, befitting their purpose and permanence. This would free up the current general-fund parks budget for other purposes, such as schools. Vote Yes on 21. It's a game-changer.

San Jose
Speaking of game-changers, there are a number of them in San Jose races. Passage of Measure V is the most crucial to put limits on arbitrators' ability to award raises and retroactive benefits to police and firefighters. Scare tactics characterize this campaign, which falsely claims the measure will result in fewer officers and endanger residents. In fact the opposite is true. This measure will help the city get control of its costs so it can hire more public safety personnel.

Meanwhile, in City Council District 5, newcomer Magdalena Carrasco is aiming to topple Xavier Campos, who was set up by labor and East Side power brokers to succeed his sister Nora in the council seat. Xavier Campos is embroiled in a criminal investigation of MACSA, the agency where he was chief operating officer until late 2008. He is a bad bet for District 5.

Predictably, his supporters are flooding the district with low-blow campaign literature, including publishing the addresses of Carrasco's family -- she has four children -- and her elderly parents. We hope voters see through it and come out in force for Carrasco.

In District 9, we hope Donald Rocha prevails over Values Advocacy Council founder Larry Pegram, whose conservative social views and history of financial problems are disconcerting. And in District 7, we hope incumbent Madison Nguyen wins a second term.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »
But nothing is more important than electing Brown, because state government is the root of so many local problems. We can't afford a lightweight governor spouting platitudes she thinks are new. We need a political grown-up who speaks his mind, actually knows something and can broker a deal -- a nearly lost art in Sacramento.

________________________ _______________-

::)  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »
Whitman says GOP turnout will propel her to victory
November 1, 2010 |  2:49 pm

Republican gubernatorial nominee Meg Whitman rallied her volunteers Monday, saying that their efforts would push her to victory on election day.

“So are you ready to get California moving again? I’m ready, are you?” she told volunteers gathered at a phone bank in a Woodland Hills strip mall. “This is exciting and I want to thank you for everything you are doing. Whose hands is this election in? Yours. ... We are going to win this because we’re going to turn out the vote.”

Whitman, accompanied by state treasurer candidate Mimi Walters and controller candidate Tony Strickland, dismissed pundits and polls that show rival Jerry Brown edging her. She said there would be “some surprised folks” after the ballots are tallied.

“I’m going to win, Carly’s going to win, and the entire down ticket is going to win,” she said.

Whitman said more than 40,000 volunteers had already made millions of phone calls.

“So again, thank you for what you have done for me, for California, for the rest of the ticket,” she said. “You have made an enormous difference because how are elections won? They are won by people filling out absentee ballots for you and going to the polls.”

After leading the crowd in chants of “We are ready!” the candidate placed six phone calls to voters. Whitman mostly left voicemail messages that reminded voters about their polling places, but she did surprise one voter.

“Marcus? It’s Meg Whitman calling. No, it’s me,” she said, chuckling. “It really is Meg Whitman. Yes, I’m here in the Woodland Hills office.”

When he told her he had not yet made up his mind, she asked what his most pressing issue was. He replied education.

“We’ve got to fix it and we have to get more money to the classroom,” she said, before reciting her education plan, which includes increasing the number of charter schools and increasing the high school graduation rate.

The voter was apparently swayed.

“Well, thank you very much, I am delighted,” she said.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2010, 05:25:28 AM »
Jerry Brown wins governor's race
Carla Marinucci, Wyatt Buchanan,,John Wildermuth, Chronicle Political Writers

(11-02) 23:59 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Former Gov. Jerry Brown - defying both a crushing conservative wave sweeping the nation and a tsunami of spending by his billionaire opponent - handily beat eBay CEO Meg Whitman Tuesday, a historic win that returns the 72-year-old Democrat to the post he held nearly three decades ago as California's chief executive.

"It looks like I'm going back again," said the state attorney general speaking to a crowd of thousands of excited Democrats at the historic Fox Theater in Oakland - the city he led as mayor for two terms and where he still resides. "They haven't got all the votes in, but hell - it's good enough for government work," he joked to laughs, shortly after 11 p.m.

Brown called for an end to the "polarization, hostility, division," that has defined state politics in recent years. "I still carry with me that missionary zeal to kind of transform the world," the former Jesuit seminarian said, adding that "I'm hoping and I'm praying that this breakdown - that's gone on for so many years - paves the way for a breakthrough."

"I take as my challenge a forging of a common purpose ... based on a vision of what California can be," said Brown, the son of the late Gov. Edmund G. "Pat" Brown. He said he will now go back to the post he held "28 eight years later, full of energy, full of creativity - and ready to serve you, the people of California."

After watching their party's pummeling in most of the rest of the nation, Democrats cheered victories by Brown - and incumbent U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer - as a welcome sign of the blue-leaning state's resistance to Tea Party anger and a GOP tide that swept Democrats and Speaker Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco out of power in the House of Representatives.

"If there's any one thing you can say about what happened here, it's that Democrats came home," said Wade Randlett, the powerhouse Silicon Valley Democratic Party fundraiser. "They said we wouldn't show up at the polls ... (but) they looked at the candidates and said, 'I will vote for the individuals who I think are right to represent me in California.' "

Brown beat back the national conservative wave with a message that "I will be a frugal governor who will make hard decisions, who won't tax people without their approval," Randlett said. "It was a moderate, centrist message" that exit polls show played especially well with Latinos and women voters in California

The latest quirky development in California politics means that Brown - whose election to the statehouse job in 1974 made him one of the youngest governors in state history - will now be the nation's oldest governor. The man he will succeed, GOP Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, was starring in "Conan the Barbarian" when Brown was finishing up his second term in 1982.

Brown's win also marks a rare third term for a governor of California - one legally allowed because term limits were not passed until 1990, after he left office.

In Los Angeles, the GOP gathering for Whitman appeared over before it even started, as those assembling at the Universal Hilton heard dour reports that Fox News and the Los Angeles Times had already called the election for Brown and Boxer.

Just hours before, Whitman's $90,000-a-month political consultant Mike Murphy was insisting to MSNBC that there would be an "upset" and contending that polls hadn't yet tracked a late GOP "surge."

Republicans at Whitman's gathering waited for hours without word until the former CEO delivered a short address to her supporters urging unity just before midnight - after she made a call to Brown to concede defeat.

"It is now time for California to unite behind the common cause of turning around the state that we love," she said. "This election was much bigger than Gov. Brown or me ... our challenges are daunting, and they won't be solved by politics as usual. ... It is my hope that a new era of bipartisan problem solving can begin tonight."

She said "the journey is ending, but our mission is not."

"We did not achieve the victory we worked so hard for," she said. But "if we all work together to demand change a new California will rise."

Former GOP gubernatorial candidate Bill Simon - another wealthy self-funded candidate who failed in his quest - said that after Tuesday's results, "I really don't know what the answer is for Republicans in California."

"I thought coming into tonight that it was going to be close - and I was hoping that the Republican fervor elsewhere in the country could carry us over tonight," Simon said. "But it didn't happen."

The widely expected win of Brown, who was up double digits over Whitman in the latest Field Poll - and who in early returns appeared to be leading a strong Democratic ticket of winning candidates - confirmed that the 2.3 million Democratic voter-advantage over Republicans in California provided a strong cushion against Tuesday's national political trend.

Brown's victory will return the California statehouse to a Democrat for the first time since 2003 - when Gov. Gray Davis was recalled and Schwarzenegger was elected.

Brown, in his 2010 race to win a third term, said he was more conservative, more seasoned and more pragmatic than in his earlier years. He celebrated both his independence from political consultants and his frugality as an asset, and ran a shoestring campaign, spending $1 for every $6 spent by Whitman in the most expensive non-presidential contest in U.S. history.

Whitman, in the last campaign expenditure reports filed Oct. 16, burned through $160 million total, $142 million of her own money - numbers that were expected to rise in final counts. Brown, in the same period, spent barely $25 million, the secretary of state's records show, though he was aided by $26.5 million in independent expenditures from union and labor supporters.

Though Whitman, who backed Republicans Mitt Romney and John McCain in their 2008 presidential runs, was a newcomer to politics and an infrequent voter, Republicans eagerly welcomed the wealthy self-funded candidate as a job creator and business leader who would ride a wave of voter anger at the Democratic-controlled Legislature.

Lines were drawn early in the race, pitting Brown, with 40 years of experience and a lineage in state politics, against the former CEO, who argued she was an outsider who could "run California like a business" to get the state out of its fiscal mess.

Brown, decried as a tax-and-spend liberal "relic" by Republicans, argued that his decades of experience made him the best candidate to deliver California from crisis; he took centrist, pragmatic positions, favoring greater local control and no new taxes without voters' approval.