Author Topic: bentover barbell rows  (Read 5041 times)

Charlys69

• Getbig III
Re: bentover barbell rows
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 09:22:11 AM »
in my opion Barbell rows are very difficult for + 90% of us.....

The one´s which will do them very correct using in 98 % "pussy weights" (and they will look the same), or at the other side i see
guys in the gym which use so heavy weights so they make something between barbell shrugs an partiell deadlift + excessive momentum.
and in a while you will see someone who can do BR in good form with plenty weights + having a great back....but believe me, that will not happen very often.....
for all rowing movements my advice is to use the exercises where you "in controll" with "(relative) heavy weigths".

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 10:51:13 AM »
in my opion Barbell rows are very difficult for + 90% of us.....

The one´s which will do them very correct using in 98 % "pussy weights" (and they will look the same), or at the other side i see
guys in the gym which use so heavy weights so they make something between barbell shrugs an partiell deadlift + excessive momentum.
and in a while you will see someone who can do BR in good form with plenty weights + having a great back....but believe me, that will not happen very often.....
for all rowing movements my advice is to use the exercises where you "in controll" with "(relative) heavy weigths".

the heaviest ive done in my offseason was 315 for 4 sloppy reps but full range.

now im prepping for my show and stick to 2 to 2,5 plates a side. for 8-10

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
Very heavy BB rows are also a great way to get a hernia.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »
Very heavy BB rows are also a great way to get a hernia.
can you explain?? would make anyone paranoid ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »
Never heard of BB rows being a great way to get a hernia. Unless one was born with a potential hernia or suffered a former  injury to the groin/ab area. Rows (and other back exercises) should help strengthen that area quite well. Saying your going to get a hernia is like saying lifting weights will make you muscle bound. Those myth's went out in the '60's. Doing heavy back exercise usually go hand in hand in building the most muscle mass. And in a shorter period of time.

That photo of the  exercises (put up about every 2 to 3 weeks without fail), where the guy is lying face done on the bench while doing rows, may have it's merits when much lighter weight is used. But the more weight used the more pressure on the chest/rib boxt , and in a way, slowing or stopping the blood flow in the pec area. Maybe not a great idea.

Also going to have pressure on the small of the back, certainly not any easier on the lower back area. There is a strong contraction of those lower back muscles doing that or any other type of that rowing movement. Anyone doubts any of this than try a few moderate sets yourself.

May need a cam type bar, as shown in the photo, for a better ROM if that's what you want. Those bars are also used when benching, for a deeper stretch on the pec's/chest. Might just as well use a pair of DB for that lying bench row. Even can do them one arm at a time.

If a fear of regular BB rows (which can be an exceptional mass builder for most me, akin to the regular DL in my view) lingers in the mind, than do one arm DB rows, as suggested before, with the free hand braced against a bench or whatever.  Might want to also change the style a bit and pull up the DB inline with the shoulders while the elbows are out to their widest.  Can hit the rear delts, traps and inter back quite well. Actually may want to use both versions in a back workout.Seen a couple of guy's do these DB rows with a curl grip, but looked like it was more bicep work than actual back. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
Never heard of BB rows being a great way to get a hernia. Unless one was born with a potential hernia or suffered a former  injury to the groin/ab area. Rows (and other back exercises) should help strengthen that area quite well. Saying your going to get a hernia is like saying lifting weights will make you muscle bound. Those myth's went out in the '60's. Doing heavy back exercise usually go hand in hand in building the most muscle mass. And in a shorter period of time.

One of the values of this forum is to educate others and to correct some of the falsehoods that some including perma-angry jpm generate. Strengthening the back doesn't necessarily help much with hernias, that typically occur in organs and surrounding tissues of the abdomen. Bending over while rowing puts tremendous pressure on that area. The kinds that can create hernias. I know this from direct experience.

That photo of the  exercises (put up about every 2 to 3 weeks without fail), where the guy is lying face done on the bench while doing rows, may have it's merits when much lighter weight is used. But the more weight used the more pressure on the chest/rib boxt , and in a way, slowing or stopping the blood flow in the pec area. Maybe not a great idea.

LOL that's because it's a great exercise that most don't know about. You're the textbook example-it's crystal clear that mr. resentment here has never tried it. The nutty theory about hurting the chest due to pressure unless going light is utter poppycock, absurd. Trial and error always trumps this made-up crap. That's like saying that a preacher bench will hurt the arms when going heavy. Yates used the same back brace arrangement extensively and never mentioned any negatives, only positives.

Carry on with more of this speculative crap jpm, you're a gem. The net's full of this type of training "wisdom". ;)

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
lots of good input on this one...those rows in the picture: why not just do t-bar rows?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
...those rows in the picture: why not just do t-bar rows?

Obviously they're not the same exercise. Plus someone might not have access to both.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »
For the sake of training knowledge, would some one like to add these lying bench row's to their back workout and tell us the results? Giving it a fair 3 to 4 week try. Just talking about it's merits only goes so far. We all would need a pro and con report.

If working into heavier sets, I myself, find it a very uncomfortable and restrictive movement when lying prone on a bench.A heavy pad helps a bit, but not all that much. Have also tried them on a incline bench, with seems to give a better feel to the exercise. I get more serious lat/back action going with BB or DB rows, but maybe that's just me. "T" bar rows are another excellent lat/back exercise, much preferred over that pictured lying version. For me, and others I have trained with.

As far as the hernia thing goes, building the lower back muscles and the all important ab wall (including the obliques) can go a long way to insure less stress for a potential injury. If hernia's are anyone's main concern than never do DL's, cleans, squats, leg presses, ab work, etc.....including most standing exercises. BB can build a very strong lower back, with the two important links of the glutes and ham's. Good Luck.

F

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 11:50:20 AM »
at the gym today i gave those "pictured" rows a try and it felt like i was doing lieing t-bar rows...but i think someone needs to do what jpm said

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
lots of good input on this one...those rows in the picture: why not just do t-bar rows?

T-bar rows are more for the rhomboids and mid back - barbell rows are more for the lats.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
T-bar rows are more for the rhomboids and mid back - barbell rows are more for the lats.

IMO they can be different or similar, depending on the grip. Some Ts have lots of choices, even including a bar grip simiilar to BB for BB type rows as well as medium and narrow grips. Watching Coleman's videos i get the impression this is his preferred method of rowing. Same with Schwarzenegger.

What i like about Ts aside from the fact they're easier on the back and less exhausting because of the angle, is that they allow for alot more grip options that affect different parts of the back. A BB row doesn't allow nearly as much latitude.

i gave those "pictured" rows a try and it felt like i was doing lieing t-bar

Well of course, you're confirming what i said about BB rows and Ts being similar, and in both cases you're prone, so it's kind of stating the obvious that they'll be similar. The nice thing about using a bench and BB is that it's a lot more common in terms of equipment availability.

Rather than stating the obvious why not contribute something about how it hit you..they're both kick-ass to me, 2 of the very best for back in terms of rowing.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »
yeah it actually felt more natural and i felt it more in my lats than the t-bar...im a simpleton bro somtimes stating the obvious is just a habit of mine...i wasnt knocking the movement i actually liked it

HE-MAN2012

• Getbig I
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:25 AM »
THis is my favorite exercise. There IS a difference between underhand and overhand, and they should both be done.
Overhand will pull the bar closer to the chest, and the elbows flare out more, hitting the upper back more.
With underhand, the elbows are more tucked, and will naturally go back more, bringing the bar up closer to the stomach and hitting the mid-back.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 12:33:43 PM »
Might try curl grip, medium to close, bring the bar into the lower ab area. Seems to affect the  lat's better for a lot of men. Also will hit the biceps more so that the overhand rowing grip.

If doing regular overhand BB rows, try 2 sets of a extra wide grip to the upper chest. 2 medium grip sets to the upper abs and the last 2 sets with a closer grip, bring the bar into the lower abs. Tends to hit the whole of the back more. Including the traps and inter section of the back.If anyone has done a over/under grip for a set of BB rows, you may have discovered how difficult it can be. But if it works for you, than great.

Those 45 degree BB rows (half bent over/half upright row) seem to build quite a few huge and thick backs (including traps and rear delts) among some very large lifters. Either a closer over or under grip is used. Good Luck.

yeah bro i tried this one the other day and it was pretty good...wheres the shit out of ya but i felt it

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »
it is hard to say..... maybe both hand postions work

Yates did rows with an underhand grip and Samir used overhand grip

both men had tremendous backs