Author Topic: tax Marijuana to save the economy?  (Read 13940 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: tax Marijuana to save the economy?
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 06:48:22 PM »
guess you would be wrong about that ;)

The Volstead Act has been the direct result of creating more crime in the State of New Jersey than there ever has been before.

It has endangered the life and limb of those using the public streets, through autos being operated by drunken drivers; it may be that there were just as many auto drivers that drank before prohibition, but what they drank did not affect their ability to run an automobile with safety. To-day one or two drinks create a menace to life and limb to those who use our streets and highways.

Statistics have shown that drivers of automobiles arrested for drunkenness have increased 100 per cent in the last few years. Some one may ask where do they get it?

If some one would ask the question: Where can't you get it? It would be more difficult to answer.

Testimony of Henry Hilfers, President, New Jersey State Federation of Labor, The National Prohibition Law, Hearings before the Subcommittee of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Sixty-Ninth Congress, April 5 to 24, 1926"

during Prohibition drunken driving busts went up 81 percent.
http://www.nuyakacreek.com/blog/2004/11/american-winery-remembers-prohibition.htm
LOL this was in the 1920's bro hahahaha im guessing you never took a stats class along with your "anthropology classes"? There are so many other possible contributing factors to this is retarted in your very post it says that the number may have been the same only that more ppl were arrested.

You really are under the impression that the number of ppl who smoked pot and drove wouldnt increase if it was made legal?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »

Emptying the jails is a GOOD THING.

Less tax dollars spent keeping people in jail over a goddamn plant!!!!!!

Something like 50,000 tax dollars per year to house 1 person in prison.

Multiply that by the several hundred thousand in prison for marijuana across the country.
OHHHH goodness come on liberalismo we went over this bro...these ppl arent model citizens the majority arent going to go straight and become productive members of society. They werent selling/trafficking weed to make a political point bro they were doing it to make money and if they dont have weed to sell they will find another way to make their money the majority of them illegally.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »
I don't think you should drink and drive and worse, you shouldn't be an asian woman and drive either. :D  Oh shit, Hugo said a racist thing, he's a hypocrite! ;D
hahahahaha

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »
LOL this was in the 1920's bro hahahaha im guessing you never took a stats class along with your "anthropology classes"? There are so many other possible contributing factors to this is retarted in your very post it says that the number may have been the same only that more ppl were arrested.

You really are under the impression that the number of ppl who smoked pot and drove wouldnt increase if it was made legal?

LOL, but but but that was the 1920's haha bla bla bal Anthropology bla bla

Nice meltdown.  I'll take that as Score: hugo.
::) you sir are a raging jack ass

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
emptying the jails?

lol it'll never happen.

unemployment will instantly go up 1% from the number of inmates alone.
how many prison employees would lose their jobs?
would crime go up when pot dealers who have been inside learning to kill for 20 years suddenly come out horny, hungry, and as stupid as ever?

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
OHHHH goodness come on liberalismo we went over this bro...these ppl arent model citizens the majority arent going to go straight and become productive members of society. They werent selling/trafficking weed to make a political point bro they were doing it to make money and if they dont have weed to sell they will find another way to make their money the majority of them illegally.

I know TONS of marijuana smokers who were sent to jail who were, in fact, model citizens.

There is nothing wrong with making money, especially if you're just selling a plant that makes people feel good.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »
emptying the jails?

lol it'll never happen.

unemployment will instantly go up 1% from the number of inmates alone.
how many prison employees would lose their jobs?
would crime go up when pot dealers who have been inside learning to kill for 20 years suddenly come out horny, hungry, and as stupid as ever?

I don't see it happening. Especially if they were just charged with marijuana.

The prisons are FULL. We're having to let Child molesters go so that we can house drug offenders. It's time to clear them out and release the people who aren't real criminals. People selling or smoking a fucking plant aren't criminals, they aren't any different at the core than people who smoke tobacco or drink a beer every now and then.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Forgive me for not reading the thread, but what could you people possibly be debating about?

Legalize Marijuana and tax it, it's a no brainer.
S

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »

I know TONS of marijuana smokers who were sent to jail who were, in fact, model citizens.

There is nothing wrong with making money, especially if you're just selling a plant that makes people feel good.
marijuana smokers or dealers? smokers dont go to prison they may go to jail for a few hours until they make bail but they dont go to prison that is unless the maybe have some weight on them? what where these marijuana "smokers" arrested for specifically? You are talking about emptying prison from what i take not jail?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »

I don't see it happening. Especially if they were just charged with marijuana.

The prisons are FULL. We're having to let Child molesters go so that we can house drug offenders. It's time to clear them out and release the people who aren't real criminals. People selling or smoking a fucking plant aren't criminals, they aren't any different at the core than people who smoke tobacco or drink a beer every now and then.
Not true these ppl are sociopaths bro, do you really think these ppl are going to straighten up and go legit? These ppl arent commiting  these crimes b/c the believe marijuana should be legal and they are justified. They are doing it to get money you seem to never want to address this fact they will find another way to make money bro. If they werent willing to get a job before hand what makes you think they will after marijuana is legalized?

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
marijuana smokers or dealers? smokers dont go to prison they may go to jail for a few hours until they make bail but they dont go to prison that is unless the maybe have some weight on them? what where these marijuana "smokers" arrested for specifically? You are talking about emptying prison from what i take not jail?

Shit, I know tons of Marijuana smokers and a few who went to prison for possession of large amounts of weed or for multiple offenses.

I also knew tons of Marijuana growers in my day, and many in my area were just typical rednecks looking to earn an extra buck for their families. One guy got sent to prison for something like 7 years not too long ago because the cops found his marijuana farm.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
Not true these ppl are sociopaths bro, do you really think these ppl are going to straighten up and go legit? These ppl arent commiting  these crimes b/c the believe marijuana should be legal and they are justified. They are doing it to get money you seem to never want to address this fact they will find another way to make money bro. If they werent willing to get a job before hand what makes you think they will after marijuana is legalized?

You're a crazy fucker. Marijuana smokers are "sociopaths"? MOST of the pot smokers that I know hold fulltime jobs and have families and are model citizens. Sociopaths? What the fuck?

Marijuana smokers are "committing the crime" because they like marijuana, it makes them feel good.

Many growers want to earn money, and there is nothing wrong with that. Many that I knew back in the day worked and grew for extra money.

Many drug dealers won't get jobs when Marijuana is legalized...But how the hell is this an argument against legalizing marijuana? It isn't.

American Muscle

• Getbig II
  • POW in the WOD
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »
If there is at least 1 person in america who doesn't smoke weed because it's illegal, then your statement is patently false.

getbiggers, is there at least 1 in 305 million people who don't use it because it's illegal?

A greater number of people use it because it's illegal, young people in particular, than avoid it because it's illegal. 

By the way, Holland has "succeeded in making pot boring", and the use among citizens there is very small versus our own (again, with the young in particular).  Why can't we do that?
Fight the Enemy

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »
Shit, I know tons of Marijuana smokers and a few who went to prison for possession of large amounts of weed or for multiple offenses.

I also knew tons of Marijuana growers in my day, and many in my area were just typical rednecks looking to earn an extra buck for their families. One guy got sent to prison for something like 7 years not too long ago because the cops found his marijuana farm.
OK so these ppl werent just smoking weed then where they? they were either dealing or in possesion of large amounts there is a difference.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »

You're a crazy fucker. Marijuana smokers are "sociopaths"? MOST of the pot smokers that I know hold fulltime jobs and have families and are model citizens. Sociopaths? What the fuck?

Marijuana smokers are "committing the crime" because they like marijuana, it makes them feel good.

Many growers want to earn money, and there is nothing wrong with that. Many that I knew back in the day worked and grew for extra money.

Many drug dealers won't get jobs when Marijuana is legalized...But how the hell is this an argument against legalizing marijuana? It isn't.
look up the definition of sociopath...

Yes smokers is another issue they as we have shown dont go to prison in the vast majority of cases.

These ppl wont be able to grow and sell if it was legalized b/c it would be regulated so are they going to get a second job? NO if they were willing to do that they would have done it instead of selling weed, they will find another easy illegal way to subsidize their income.

one arguement you have for legalizing it is not wasting money on ppl who get sent to prison for it. you just admitted that dealers wont get jobs that means they will deal something else you understand? this invalidates your arguement for legalizing it for that reason.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »
A greater number of people use it because it's illegal, young people in particular, than avoid it because it's illegal. 

By the way, Holland has "succeeded in making pot boring", and the use among citizens there is very small versus our own (again, with the young in particular).  Why can't we do that?
I agree after a good amount of time use would decrease after being legalized...what percentage of ppl use in holland as opposed to the US?

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »
look up the definition of sociopath...

Yes smokers is another issue they as we have shown dont go to prison in the vast majority of cases.

These ppl wont be able to grow and sell if it was legalized b/c it would be regulated so are they going to get a second job? NO if they were willing to do that they would have done it instead of selling weed, they will find another easy illegal way to subsidize their income.

one arguement you have for legalizing it is not wasting money on ppl who get sent to prison for it. you just admitted that dealers wont get jobs that means they will deal something else you understand? this invalidates your arguement for legalizing it for that reason.

This is nonsense. In many states only something like 5 ounces can lead to several years in prison. There are tons of incidences where simple possession has led to many years behind bars. Lives ruined. You've never established that most possession charges do not result in prison or even long term jail time. All costs money.
All of the various searches and seizures and countless man hours needed to organize marijuana busts also costs tons and tons of money.

What would the marijuana dealers do if marijuana becomes legal? Would they find some unknown source of illegal income? I doubt it. This is not what happened after prohibition. The mobsters and bootleggers simply found other means of making money, mostly legitimate. Getting people to find jobs is another topic that deserves its own focus and strategy, but your arguments don't make sense here. Are you claiming that marijuana should not be legalized because it would put drug dealers out of jobs?  ::)

Even if few dollars would be saved by getting rid of drug dealers from jail (something that clearly isn't true) there are tons of money spent in other ways in the war on drugs as mentioned above and these all would be cut and would save money.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »

This is nonsense. In many states only something like 5 ounces can lead to several years in prison. There are tons of incidences where simple possession has led to many years behind bars. Lives ruined. You've never established that most possession charges do not result in prison or even long term jail time. All costs money.
All of the various searches and seizures and countless man hours needed to organize marijuana busts also costs tons and tons of money.

What would the marijuana dealers do if marijuana becomes legal? Would they find some unknown source of illegal income? I doubt it. This is not what happened after prohibition. The mobsters and bootleggers simply found other means of making money, mostly legitimate. Getting people to find jobs is another topic that deserves its own focus and strategy, but your arguments don't make sense here. Are you claiming that marijuana should not be legalized because it would put drug dealers out of jobs?  ::)

Even if few dollars would be saved by getting rid of drug dealers from jail (something that clearly isn't true) there are tons of money spent in other ways in the war on drugs as mentioned above and these all would be cut and would save money.
we always do this start out with small posts and move towards novels

Youve never established that simple possesion charges lead to long prison sentences...5 ounces is a good amount of pot bro thats almost a fuking lb. The idea is that you arent simply smoking that amount by yourself its implied that you are dealing.

You love that mobsters example dont you, well do some research many of them continued their life of crime also what other drug was around at that time that was readily available for them to hock? these days crack, coke, X, meth, etc...are all readily available for these guys to peddle. I dont know where you got "Are you claiming that marijuana should not be legalized because it would put drug dealers out of jobs?" that from im saying the drug dealers will still be drug dealers so your arguement that it would result in less ppl in prison while probably true to a degree would not be significant in reality as they would probably just deal another drug or find another easy way of making money.

I agree with the last paragraph although i think the amount of money saved when you take into account the problems legalizing it would produce would be much less then one might think. It seems like your suggesting legalizing all drugs and again weve gone over that and the problems it would create.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
I agree after a good amount of time use would decrease after being legalized...what percentage of ppl use in holland as opposed to the US?

stats/links to back up this claim of weed boredom, american muscle?  sounds interesting.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
stats/links to back up this claim of weed boredom, american muscle?  sounds interesting.
Thats the reason i asked for the percentage that use there and here so we could get a better estimate of the difference if any.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »
Thats the reason i asked for the percentage that use there and here so we could get a better estimate of the difference if any.

ah gotcha.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 03:34:47 AM »
Hell yes they should legalize and tax it.

While they're at it they should legalize and tax prostitution too.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
we always do this start out with small posts and move towards novels

Youve never established that simple possesion charges lead to long prison sentences...5 ounces is a good amount of pot bro thats almost a fuking lb. The idea is that you arent simply smoking that amount by yourself its implied that you are dealing.

16 ounces are in a pound. 5 ounces is actually around the amount that most people keep just for a good supply for a length of time. Most people don't want to keep having to buy marijuana every week. Large stashes aren't uncommon.

You love that mobsters example dont you, well do some research many of them continued their life of crime also what other drug was around at that time that was readily available for them to hock? these days crack, coke, X, meth, etc...are all readily available for these guys to peddle.

One less thing for them to sell would be a great improvement. Not that I don't support legalizing other drugs also. I do.

I dont know where you got "Are you claiming that marijuana should not be legalized because it would put drug dealers out of jobs?" that from im saying the drug dealers will still be drug dealers so your arguement that it would result in less ppl in prison while probably true to a degree would not be significant in reality as they would probably just deal another drug or find another easy way of making money.

This is an assumption which I've never seen evidence for. Historically it just doesn't work. It would be like saying that the bootleggers would somehow find some other crime to commit, but the truth is that they didn't. Nor did the operators of speakeasies.
Marijuana growers would still likely grow marijuana, just legally.
Even if the sellers find something else to do illegally, this is one less thing that police have to bother with.

I agree with the last paragraph although i think the amount of money saved when you take into account the problems legalizing it would produce would be much less then one might think. It seems like your suggesting legalizing all drugs and again weve gone over that and the problems it would create.

The problems of the drug war FAR outweigh any potential problems that might be caused by drugs being legal.

Look into it. Deeply. Make a list of all of the problems CREATED by the war on drugs. Directly and indirectly.

Then make a list of potential problems that might occur of all drugs were legal.

Weigh them. Think of ways to reduce problems but still keeping drugs legal. Weigh them again.

The answer becomes obvious. The Drug war does much much more harm than good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 10:51:42 AM »

This is nonsense. In many states only something like 5 ounces can lead to several years in prison. There are tons of incidences where simple possession has led to many years behind bars. Lives ruined. You've never established that most possession charges do not result in prison or even long term jail time.

I doubt that.  Proof? 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »

This is nonsense. In many states only something like 5 ounces can lead to several years in prison. There are tons of incidences where simple possession has led to many years behind bars. Lives ruined. You've never established that most possession charges do not result in prison or even long term jail time.

The "lives ruined" are the fault of the possesors of those lives (and that weed). They broke the law and got CAUGHT! Yet, you're blaiming the COPS, for doing their job?

Lost in all this blubbering is the simple fact that legalizing weed isn’t going to help California one bit.

California’s had a great economy before, and it didn’t have to legalize weed (or any other recreational drugs) to do it. Then again, with some of the goofball policies in that state, the politicians there are probably already smoking ganga.