Author Topic: Denver Tried to Trade Jay Cutler  (Read 6159 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: Denver Tried to Trade Jay Cutler
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 11:12:59 AM »
stupid move by the broncos, you don't even consider trading a 25 year old qb that just made the pro bowl

i don't blame cutler for being pissed, who wouldn't be angry about that?

why is cassel such a hot comodity?  lets see how he does without moss and welker

if the broncos trade cutler mcdaniels will be gone in 2 years, young pro bowl qb's are a little harder to replace than young unproven coaches

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
I agree Earl.

He has now demanded a trade.  I hope the Niners make a pitch. 

Here is an excerpt from an article about why Cutler is upset:

Cutler feels like McDaniels lost his credibility with him when he initially denied to the quarterback that the Broncos tried to acquire Cassel only to admit it later.

"Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other," Cutler said. "He's never been critical to me. But trust now? How can I trust him now?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

body88

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »
stupid move by the broncos, you don't even consider trading a 25 year old qb that just made the pro bowl

i don't blame cutler for being pissed, who wouldn't be angry about that?

why is cassel such a hot comodity?  lets see how he does without moss and welker

if the broncos trade cutler mcdaniels will be gone in 2 years, young pro bowl qb's are a little harder to replace than young unproven coaches

E

Lets see how Manning does without Wayne and Harrison? For the record, you didn't even know who Wes Welker was until he started playing in NE.  No one did.  People ragged on the pats for making the trade.  Cassel is a very good NFL QB and thats a fact.  McDaniel's wanted to trade for Cassel, because again, he is not running a Shanahan offense. He wanted to bring in a guy that he knew could run his O...a guy he knew would listen to him....a team player.   I could see why he would trade for Cassel.

Earl, what has Jay Cutler accomplished in his career that makes him untouchable?  McDaniel's is unproven as a head coach, but he does hold the title of running the best NFL O in the history of the sport.

McDaniel's original premise to make the trade is not surprising at all...however, the way he has handled things since is. Josh comes from a system where players play and they don't bitch like babies.  If you mouth of you get cut, it's all about the team.  Cutler is a baby and he cries all the time.  Others have mentioned that he is a poorl leader.  Maybe Josh wants nothing to do with him.  The Broncos did just eat 20 million to get Shanahan out fo town.  Maybe they want to clean house.

body88

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
I agree Earl.

He has now demanded a trade.  I hope the Niners make a pitch. 

Here is an excerpt from an article about why Cutler is upset:

Cutler feels like McDaniels lost his credibility with him when he initially denied to the quarterback that the Broncos tried to acquire Cassel only to admit it later.

"Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other," Cutler said. "He's never been critical to me. But trust now? How can I trust him now?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

I think this is a great example of why McDaniel's wanted Cassel.  Cutler is a baby.  He is always running his mouth and crying.  Fighting with other players in the media - etc.  No one is untouchable.  The only issue with this whole thing is that the information was leaked.  You would be dumb not to explore trade options for all your players and clearly Josh felt Cassel was a better fit for his system than Cutler.

Btw, what the hell has Jay Cutler done since he turned pro?  Compile numbers in a crappy devision and have a horrible record with one of the sports best coaches.  I can see why he is upset, but wtf has he done?

"I have a better arm than John Elway"  - Jay Cutler

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
Jeez,I can see Cutler being pisssed but get over it.he's being a little cu nt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
I think this is a great example of why McDaniel's wanted Cassel.  Cutler is a baby.  He is always running his mouth and crying.  Fighting with other players in the media - etc.  No one is untouchable.  The only issue with this whole thing is that the information was leaked.  You would be dumb not to explore trade options for all your players and clearly Josh felt Cassel was a better fit for his system than Cutler.

Btw, what the hell has Jay Cutler done since he turned pro?  Compile numbers in a crappy devision and have a horrible record with one of the sports best coaches.  I can see why he is upset, but wtf has he done?

"I have a better arm than John Elway"  - Jay Cutler

I don't think Cutler is untouchable.  That really isn't the issue.  It's really about trust, integrity, etc.    

All Cutler has done since turning pro is become the QB of the one of the best offenses in football and make the Pro Bowl.  And he did it with only one WR and about ten different RBs.  He's already better than most of the QBs in the NFL.

Will be interested to see where he lands.  Just look around the NFL.  Many of the starting QBs are pretty average (Chicago, Minnesota, SF, TB, Buffalo, Jets, Titans, etc.).  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
Lets see how Manning does without Wayne and Harrison? For the record, you didn't even know who Wes Welker was until he started playing in NE.  No one did.  People ragged on the pats for making the trade.  Cassel is a very good NFL QB and thats a fact.  McDaniel's wanted to trade for Cassel, because again, he is not running a Shanahan offense. He wanted to bring in a guy that he knew could run his O...a guy he knew would listen to him....a team player.   I could see why he would trade for Cassel.

Earl, what has Jay Cutler accomplished in his career that makes him untouchable?  McDaniel's is unproven as a head coach, but he does hold the title of running the best NFL O in the history of the sport.

McDaniel's original premise to make the trade is not surprising at all...however, the way he has handled things since is. Josh comes from a system where players play and they don't bitch like babies.  If you mouth of you get cut, it's all about the team.  Cutler is a baby and he cries all the time.  Others have mentioned that he is a poorl leader.  Maybe Josh wants nothing to do with him.  The Broncos did just eat 20 million to get Shanahan out fo town.  Maybe they want to clean house.

manning would be fine without wayne and harrison just like brady was fine without moss and welker, i don't think we can put cassel in their category

i knew welker and i was pissed when NE picked him up

what has jay accomplished?  he made the pro bowl at 25, what exactly has cassel accomplished that jay hasn't?

just because mcdaniels had brady and a rejuvenated moss doesn't mean he's some great offensive mind, brian billick was the coodinator for the vikings in 98 and the ravens never had a good offense

you do not trade 25 year old pro bowl quarterbacks because some new unproven coach doesn't like him, if i'm any team thinking about stafford or sanchez i'm making a trade for cutler

why do you always defend these guys that aren't on your team anymore?

E

E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
Jeez,I can see Cutler being pisssed but get over it.he's being a little cu nt.

how could somebody not be angry about this?  who wouldn't be pissed if some new guy came in and immediately tried to get rid of you?

mcdaniels isn't exactly making jay feel wanted in meetings so why should jay just forget about the whole thing?

if i was a 25 year old pro bowl quarterback, i wouldn't put up with that disrespect from some unproven coach either, i'd demand a trade

E
E

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
how could somebody not be angry about this?  who wouldn't be pissed if some new guy came in and immediately tried to get rid of you?

mcdaniels isn't exactly making jay feel wanted in meetings so why should jay just forget about the whole thing?

if i was a 25 year old pro bowl quarterback, i wouldn't put up with that disrespect from some unproven coach either, i'd demand a trade

E

NFL is a tough buisness people get cut,traded and so on.you just gotta deal with it.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »

NFL is a tough buisness people get cut,traded and so on.you just gotta deal with it.

true but if i'm some 25 year old pro bowl quarterback i would not tolerate disrespect

totally different than some backup that is just happy to have an nfl job

E
E

body88

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2009, 01:22:08 PM »
manning would be fine without Wayne and harrison just like brady was fine without moss and welker, i don't think we can put cassel in their category
Thats not fair. You cant be biased with your argument.  Payton Manning has always been surrounded by the best talent in the game, so we don't know how he would be without them. How would Rivers be without LT, and Gates....How about E. Manning without Plex, Jacobs and Toomer....  Brady has proven he could be great without great wr's. Brandon Marshal and Daniel Graham are not exactly chopped liver out in Denver, btw. My point is that Cassel did a lot of things that proved he was a great QB that had nothing to do with his wr's.  Also, the pats O-line allowed the second most sacks in the NFL last year, Cassel is simply a great young player.  He has the moxy, the stats and the wins to prove this.  he's not better than Cutler, but he is just as good in his system as Cutler was in Shanny's.

what has jay accomplished?  he made the pro bowl at 25, what exactly has cassel accomplished that jay hasn't?
So what? Lots of guys make the pro bowl.  Has Cutler ever gone 11-5?  Cassel had better numbers than Cutler last year.  Cassel had pro-bowl type numbers last year. Did Farve have a great year last year?  He mad the pro bowl, right?  

just because McDaniel's had brady and a rejuvenated moss doesn't mean he's some great offensive mind, brian billick was the coodinator for the vikings in 98 and the ravens never had a good offense
Moss was terrible the year before he got to NE in Oakland....it's not all Moss.  Why was he rejuvenated?  If your going to tell me that organzing the best O in the history of game is not a big deal you are clearly unwilling to use logic, stats and facts in your argument.  You Billick point is just perplexing so I'm going to leave that one alone. McDaniel's also helped to coach a rookie QB to an 11-5 record with 14 starters on Ir in the second hardest devision in the game....not bad.

you do not trade 25 year old pro bowl quarterbacks because some new unproven coach doesn't like him, if i'm any team thinking about stafford or sanchez i'm making a trade for cutler
Of course you think about it if you run a different system and you have a guy who you know that is a better team player and he is just as capable off putting up pro bowl numbers in your system.  Do you even watch Cassel play, because he had a pro bowl year last year.  If Moss was the reason for this, why didn't he make the pro-bowl?  

why do you always defend these guys that aren't on your team anymore?
It's not about a guy from "my team"  I have been saying that I can see why McDaniel's would go after Cassel and that trady Cutler is not pure insanity.  Alot of you guys dont look at things like this any deeper than "pro-bowl" and reputation.  Cassel is proven in the pats system, Cutler is not.  I'm not saying Cutler can't do it, or that Cassel is better than Cutler....I'm saying that I can see why Mc D would try to trade him for Cassel.

body88

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »
true but if i'm some 25 year old pro bowl quarterback i would not tolerate disrespect

totally different than some backup that is just happy to have an nfl job

E

Disrespect?  Earl, McDaniel's is implementing a patriots O in Denver.  The guy looked into trading Cutler for a guy who he has coached for the last 5 years and who he knows that can win in his system. 

Cutler should have gone out there, kicked ass with Josh and then when he showed he was the man asked for the trade.  The NFL is a business and guys do whats best for their team.  Cutler is a baby.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »
Disrespect?  Earl, McDaniel's is implementing a patriots O in Denver.  The guy looked into trading Cutler for a guy who he has coached for the last 5 years and who he knows that can win in his system. 

Cutler should have gone out there, kicked ass with Josh and then when he showed he was the man asked for the trade.  The NFL is a business and guys do whats best for their team.  Cutler is a baby.

when you're a young pro bowl qb you have power, you can do what is best for you

jay knows he's not the new coach's guy so he wants to go where he is wanted

E
E

body88

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »
when you're a young pro bowl qb you have power, you can do what is best for you

jay knows he's not the new coach's guy so he wants to go where he is wanted

E

I get that, and I'm not saying that Cutler is wrong....I'm saying that I can see why Josh would go after Cassel and since Cutler knows the NFL is a business he should go out and kick ass THEN ask for the trade.  He's in the media crying like a girl over this.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Thats not fair. You cant be biased with your argument.  Payton Manning has always been surrounded by the best talent in the game, so we don't know how he would be without them. How would Rivers be without LT, and Gates....How about E. Manning without Plex, Jacobs and Toomer....  Brady has proven he could be great without great wr's. Brandon Marshal and Daniel Graham are not exactly chopped liver out in Denver, btw. My point is that Cassel did a lot of things that proved he was a great QB that had nothing to do with his wr's.  Also, the pats O-line allowed the second most sacks in the NFL last year, Cassel is simply a great young player.  He has the moxy, the stats and the wins to prove this.  he's not better than Cutler, but he is just as good in his system as Cutler was in Shanny's.-

i don't think peyton has been surrounded by the best talent, i don't think wayne would be a pro bowl receiver without him, if daniel graham was so good why did the pats let him leave?

So what? Lots of guys make the pro bowl.  Has Cutler ever gone 11-5?  Cassel had better numbers than Cutler last year.  Cassel had pro-bowl type numbers last year. Did Farve have a great year last year?  He mad the pro bowl, right?  
Moss was terrible the year before he got to NE in Oakland....it's not all Moss.  Why was he rejuvenated?  If your going to tell me that organzing the best O in the history of game is not a big deal you are clearly unwilling to use logic, stats and facts in your argument.  You Billick point is just perplexing so I'm going to leave that one alone. McDaniel's also helped to coach a rookie QB to an 11-5 record with 14 starters on Ir in the second hardest devision in the game....not bad.

a lot don't make the pro bowl at 25

moss was rejuvenated because he knew he was playing for a winner, that motivated him

my point about billick is he led the number 1 O before the pats, his offense were never good in baltimore, great coordinators don't make great coaches

why does mcdaniels get all the credit for the pats O, i thought belichek was the "genius"

mcdaniels wasn't leading their O when they won super bowls
Of course you think about it if you run a different system and you have a guy who you know that is a better team player and he is just as capable off putting up pro bowl numbers in your system.  Do you even watch Cassel play, because he had a pro bowl year last year.  If Moss was the reason for this, why didn't he make the pro-bowl?  

yeah i saw cassel play, i saw my steelers force him into several turnovers ;)

moss didn't make the pro bowl for the same reason cassel didn't, others had a better year ie cutler yeah i know favre made it too but that was based on his name, i don't think cutler is a bigger name than cassel

E
E

body88

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »
I don't think peyton has been surrounded by the best talent, i don't think wayne would be a pro bowl receiver without him, if daniel graham was so good why did the pats let him leave?
Wayne, Harrison, Dallas Clark, Gonzo, Addai, Edge numerous pro-bowl offensive linemen....what more do you want?  The pats let Graham go because he wanted to much $$.  They could not afford to keep him.

a lot don't make the pro bowl at 25

moss was rejuvenated because he knew he was playing for a winner, that motivated him

my point about billick is he led the number 1 O before the pats, his offense were never good in baltimore, great coordinators don't make great coaches

why does mcdaniels get all the credit for the pats O, i thought belichek was the "genius"

mcdaniels wasn't leading their O when they won super bowls

Agreed but Cassel had pro-bowl numbers last year.

Moss is not the only reason Matt Cassel is a good player.  Infact Moss dropped a lot of balls last year that would have padded Matt's stats.  Moss is great, but he had a "good" year last year.  Brandon Marchal is a stud, btw...whats with this "woe-is-me" shit with Cutler, ha-ha.

Bil belichick was a defensive coordinator

Belichick is a genius which he has proven many times over.  The guy is one of the best ever, period.  He has 5 rings.  The fact that he had as much confidence as he did  in Josh proves to me that he is a solid coach.  I didn't say that Josh would be a great coach, I said that his O was one of the best ever and ignoring that is ridiculous.

McDaniel's wasn't leading their O when they won super bowls
I know. He HELPED lead them when they went 16-0 and 11-5 after the best QB in the biz went on IR in the first game.  Again, what more do you want.  Guys get head coaching gigs doing a lot less than Josh has done.

moss didn't make the pro bowl for the same reason cassel didn't, others had a better year ie cutler yeah i know favre made it too but that was based on his name, i don't think cutler is a bigger name than cassel
No one even knew who Matt Cassel was until he started.  Cassel had better numbers than Cutler this year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »
No one even knew who Matt Cassel was until he started.  Cassel had better numbers than Cutler this year.

I certainly didn't know anything about him.  Great talent evaluation by the Pats, with both him and Brady. 

Regarding Cassel v. Cutler last year, here is how they stack up:

Cassel
327 of 516 for 3693, 63.3 percent, 21 TDs and 11 INTs

Cutler
384 of 616 for 4526, 62.3 percent, 25 TDs and 18 INTs, Pro Bowl

body88

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
I certainly didn't know anything about him.  Great talent evaluation by the Pats, with both him and Brady. 

Cassel

Cutler

Pretty even numbers there....Cutler threw 100 more times which makes the yards pointless to look at...I would add that Cassel was a "rookie" and went 11-5 in a much harder devision.  Cutler has never won.  Again, my point is not that Cutler is not a great QB....my point is that I could see why Josh would go after Cassel.  He put up pro-bowl numbers in a patriots system.....the system Josh is going to run.  Also, how do you know Cutler and Josh just don't get along in general?  Thats a factor also.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »

Cassel

Cutler

I gotta go with Matt Cassel if i was starting a franchise...based on those numbers. Picks loose games

body88

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »
I gotta go with Matt Cassel if i was starting a franchise...based on those numbers. Picks loose games

Not to mention Cassel was a "rookie" and his team ended up 11-5 in a much better devision.  Cutler had a losing record, but he did go to the pro-bowl.  All I'm saying that is if your a Patriots coach, starting a Patriots system, you might look at a guy who was pro-bowl caliber for you in the Patriots system.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
Not to mention Cassel was a "rookie" and his team ended up 11-5 in a much better devision.  Cutler had a losing record, but he did go to the pro-bowl.
so did farve, and Rivers (who i cant stand) had a better year at qb to me...he would go top of the list to me

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
Wayne, Harrison, Dallas Clark, Gonzo, Addai, Edge numerous pro-bowl offensive linemen....what more do you want?  The pats let Graham go because he wanted to much $$.  They could not afford to keep him.

Agreed but Cassel had pro-bowl numbers last year.

Moss is not the only reason Matt Cassel is a good player.  Infact Moss dropped a lot of balls last year that would have padded Matt's stats.  Moss is great, but he had a "good" year last year.  Brandon Marchal is a stud, btw...whats with this "woe-is-me" shit with Cutler, ha-ha.

Bil belichick was a defensive coordinator

Belichick is a genius which he has proven many times over.  The guy is one of the best ever, period.  He has 5 rings.  The fact that he had as much confidence as he did  in Josh proves to me that he is a solid coach.  I didn't say that Josh would be a great coach, I said that his O was one of the best ever and ignoring that is ridiculous.
I know. He HELPED lead them when they went 16-0 and 11-5 after the best QB in the biz went on IR in the first game.  Again, what more do you want.  Guys get head coaching gigs doing a lot less than Josh has done.

why does peyton not get credit for making these guys better, edge kinda fell off the map when he left wouldn't you say?

cassel had welker too, who made the pro bowl

cutler isn't 'woe is me' he just wants respect and when you are a young pro bowl qb you are in a position to make demands

belicheck is the head coach and he has the final decision on everything, he had a lot of confidence in crennel too and i like his resume more than mcdaniels ;)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »

Pretty even numbers there....Cutler threw 100 more times which makes the yards pointless to look at...I would add that Cassel was a "rookie" and went 11-5 in a much harder devision.  Cutler has never won.  Again, my point is not that Cutler is not a great QB....my point is that I could see why Josh would go after Cassel.  He put up pro-bowl numbers in a patriots system.....the system Josh is going to run.  Also, how do you know Cutler and Josh just don't get along in general?  Thats a factor also.

I'd also add that Cassel had a much better supporting cast and a much better team, on both sides of the ball. 

There could very well be a personality conflict, but I can't really see them not being able to get along as a factor, because the relationship was strained before they ever met. 

body88

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
I'd also add that Cassel had a much better supporting cast and a much better team, on both sides of the ball. 

There could very well be a personality conflict, but I can't really see them not being able to get along as a factor, because the relationship was strained before they ever met. 

Who knows, but I do agree with you that this is a big fucking mess at this point.  Not sure why Mc D didn't just suck it up for the year and try to trade him later.  I get why he did what he did, but I dont get the latest meeting where he was a dick to Cutler.....weird.

At least play the kid so the fans dont want to burn you at the stake.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Who knows, but I do agree with you that this is a big fucking mess at this point.  Not sure why Mc D didn't just suck it up for the year and try to trade him later.  I get why he did what he did, but I dont get the latest meeting where he was a dick to Cutler.....weird.

At least play the kid so the fans dont want to burn you at the stake.

Yep.  I heard someone on the radio (Clayton?) saying that McDaniels is giving himself a very short leash and better not lose a lot of games this coming season.