Author Topic: Equipment requests at 24hr Fitness?  (Read 3252 times)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Equipment requests at 24hr Fitness?
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »
Anyone know if you can request your gym (24hr in my case) to get certain equipment in stock?  The only pull down bars we have are the regular ones.  They need to get one or two neutral grip pulldown bars.  Also I guess they don't want people to deadlift cause all they have is the hex plates and they can be dangerous when you are deadlifting?  Need the round ones? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Equipment requests at 24hr Fitness?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:30:08 AM »
Anyone know if you can request your gym (24hr in my case) to get certain equipment in stock?  The only pull down bars we have are the regular ones.  They need to get one or two neutral grip pulldown bars.  Also I guess they don't want people to deadlift cause all they have is the hex plates and they can be dangerous when you are deadlifting?  Need the round ones? 
Im sure you can talk to someone and get them to get a neutral grip attachment. I dead with hex plates all the time why do you believe they are unsafe?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:27:36 AM »
That's weird because i joined 24 hour just last week and was thinking exactly the same thing just yesterday about the lat bars while doing back, decided i'd ask someone. Because all their gyms seem to have the same bars, I have a feeling they're all ordered in bulk thru one channel of the company, which probably means it's not easy to get something that's out of the norm. I'm going to talk to someone today after my workout and find out. It depends on the chain, at LA Fitness where i was previously, there was more variation in equipment from gym to gym, which told me they have more latitude to get something different.

I like their hex plates.

The other thing they're missing at least in my gym is a pullover machine. Other than that they have a good selection and i like the layout and energy better than LA Fitness.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
I don't know about you all but the people at my 24Hour are jacka**es!

Peace.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
Im sure you can talk to someone and get them to get a neutral grip attachment. I dead with hex plates all the time why do you believe they are unsafe?

If you deadlift with a bump and go style i.e. let it hit the floor and then pull back up you can catch an edge instead of the flat surface on a hex plate and it can throw you off.  I've just always deadlifted with round plates but it makes sense.  Don't know how "dangerous" it really is but I could see how it could fuck up your groove. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
i see what your saying about the hex plates and deadlifting however i dead lift with hex plates plenty of times and that never happened to me (well, i never noticed it happen, it may have...but if it did happen than its nothing significant at all)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »

Have you asked? worst they can do is say no.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
i see what your saying about the hex plates and deadlifting however i dead lift with hex plates plenty of times and that never happened to me (well, i never noticed it happen, it may have...but if it did happen than its nothing significant at all)

yeah it seems pretty insignificant. 

calvin, no but I'm going to.  Was just curious if anyone else had. 

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 04:35:18 PM »
I work out at an anytime fitness now and I love it.  Great gym.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »
That's weird because i joined 24 hour just last week and was thinking exactly the same thing just yesterday about the lat bars while doing back, decided i'd ask someone. Because all their gyms seem to have the same bars, I have a feeling they're all ordered in bulk thru one channel of the company, which probably means it's not easy to get something that's out of the norm. I'm going to talk to someone today after my workout and find out. It depends on the chain, at LA Fitness where i was previously, there was more variation in equipment from gym to gym, which told me they have more latitude to get something different.

I like their hex plates.

The other thing they're missing at least in my gym is a pullover machine. Other than that they have a good selection and i like the layout and energy better than LA Fitness.
ya ive been a member of 24 for probably going on 2 years now and ive never seen one with a pullover machine actually the only gym ive ever seen with one is my old college gym, lifetime, 24, LA, YMCA never seen another pull over machine.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »
If you deadlift with a bump and go style i.e. let it hit the floor and then pull back up you can catch an edge instead of the flat surface on a hex plate and it can throw you off.  I've just always deadlifted with round plates but it makes sense.  Don't know how "dangerous" it really is but I could see how it could fuck up your groove. 
hmmmm ive never had a problem with it sometimes one side will hit first and kinda fuk up my rythem but i think its more me then the weights. I could see it happening but iono never been a problem with me and those are the plates ive deadlifted with for probably 4 or 5 years now.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »
LOL shit i keep forgetting shit...My 24 had one when i first joined up and then it disappeared for like 2 or 3 months and they just got another one recently. One of my buddies is a trainer there so ill ask him next time i see him if i remember.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »
ya ive been a member of 24 for probably going on 2 years now and ive never seen one with a pullover machine actually the only gym ive ever seen with one is my old college gym, lifetime, 24, LA, YMCA never seen another pull over machine.

La Fitness has hammer pullovers at all the Phoenix locations.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »

thats why its safer to deadlift with a pause bottom

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
Good luck, I worked in management at 24 Hour for close to 2 years and it's pretty tough to get them to get any form of new equipment, even bar attachments.  Hell, I worked in a brand new club that didn't have a standing calf raise and it took close to two years to get one put in.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 01:45:19 PM »
Good luck, I worked in management at 24 Hour for close to 2 years and it's pretty tough to get them to get any form of new equipment, even bar attachments. 

As i thought, based on central distribution coordinated by headquarters for many of these corporate chains. LA Fitness is just as corporate and a little less appealing to me, but does allow clubs to buy different pieces, most likely because each club owns it's equipment and thus makes individual decisions on purchases. I'll still ask 24 hours today after my workout just to find out..

The Nub Monster

• Getbig II
  • 14 WORDS!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 02:54:18 AM »
thats why its safer to deadlift with a pause bottom

Exactly its called a DEAD lift - I always pause at the bottom for a second or two then pwer the weight back up.  Both methods are effective but the pause at the bottom makes it safer and more taxing.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
Buy the bar yourself and leave it there, cheapskate.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 07:58:33 PM »
Buy the bar yourself and leave it there, cheapskate.

Yeah and how am I supposed to sneak in a pulldown bar right past the two or three front desk associates genius? 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »
Yeah and how am I supposed to sneak in a pulldown bar right past the two or three front desk associates genius? 
Why do you have to sneak? Just carry it in like you own the place, they will look at each other like WTF ??? as you walk on by. Trust me.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
Why do you have to sneak? Just carry it in like you own the place, they will look at each other like WTF ??? as you walk on by. Trust me.
they could tell him no as it would be a liability for 24

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 08:24:35 PM »
they could tell him no as it would be a liability for 24

Yes this is why I was wondering how to go about doing equipment request as you cannot bring your own equipment into the gym. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »
Yes this is why I was wondering how to go about doing equipment request as you cannot bring your own equipment into the gym. 
Lame. Find a new gym?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
Lame. Find a new gym?

Nah......It's the only gym around here.  South Orange County.  I used to train over at MetRx in Costa Mesa but since moved.  I'm stuck with these gay ass yuppie gyms. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 08:37:16 PM »
Nah......It's the only gym around here.  South Orange County.  I used to train over at MetRx in Costa Mesa but since moved.  I'm stuck with these gay ass yuppie gyms. 
Head up to Koloseum, they've got all the bars and benches and weight you could ever possibly need.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!