Author Topic: Anyone a camper?  (Read 4226 times)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone a camper?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 01:11:49 AM »
Haha I just reread his original post.  BACKYARD????!  Definitely go to Walmart!  :) 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 01:13:30 AM »
A nice tent for $60 might do fine in the backyard.  But in any kind of downpour or inclement weather scenario I would never trust a $60 tent.  It's funny to hear all you bodybuilders dishing out camping gear advice.  When was the last time any of you even went "camping"?  I'm an avid backpacker and camper.  Been doing it for a few decades.  Not to sound arrogant or conceited but judging by some of your replies I'd say I know a lot more about the subject than most on here.  Of course if your idea of camping is going down to the local KOA campground setting up a cheap walmart tent, unloading the cooler, pulling out your lawn chairs and sipping on some brewskis.....well then by all means.......go to Walmart for your camping gear and have a blast.  But anyone that spends any amount of time in the wilderness, not hokie campgrounds, would never trust their well being to gear at "walmart" or "sears".  LMAO!
Nice post.  I'm also an avid wilderness camper like yourself.  I think Stark is too.  Anyway it sounds like he is just doing some backyard camping so a cheap tent and sleeping bag will do fine.  But if he gets into the kind of stuff we are into he will need to do a lot more research and be willing to spend a few more bucks.  

REI is a good place too.  I've been thinking about getting one of those ultralight tents but man they are small!  I think I would get clostraphobic if I was in there, that is if I could fit.  

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »
Nice post.  I'm also an avid wilderness camper like yourself.  I think Stark is too.  Anyway it sounds like he is just doing some backyard camping so a cheap tent and sleeping bag will do fine.  But if he gets into the kind of stuff we are into he will need to do a lot more research and be willing to spend a few more bucks.  

REI is a good place too.  I've been thinking about getting one of those ultralight tents but man they are small!  I think I would get clostraphobic if I was in there, that is if I could fit.  

Yeah I've been wanting to splurge and get a new tent too.  I'm looking at the Big Agnes line of tents.  The Pine Island struck my fancy as I have a few light backpacking tents but need something bigger for car camping.  It's nice and big and could weather hurricane :) 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 02:20:24 AM »
A nice tent for $60 might do fine in the backyard.  But in any kind of downpour or inclement weather scenario I would never trust a $60 tent.  It's funny to hear all you bodybuilders dishing out camping gear advice.  When was the last time any of you even went "camping"?  I'm an avid backpacker and camper.  Been doing it for a few decades.  Not to sound arrogant or conceited but judging by some of your replies I'd say I know a lot more about the subject than most on here.  Of course if your idea of camping is going down to the local KOA campground setting up a cheap walmart tent, unloading the cooler, pulling out your lawn chairs and sipping on some brewskis.....well then by all means.......go to Walmart for your camping gear and have a blast.  But anyone that spends any amount of time in the wilderness, not hokie campgrounds, would never trust their well being to gear at "walmart" or "sears".  LMAO!

Bro that's all great and shit, but the guy said he's camping out in his friend's BACKYARD for one night. He's not going to conquer Mr.Everest, he doesn't need a 2000$ tent that's reinforced with carbon fibre and made from the latest space age materials and weighs 3lbs., I go camping usually twice per season (summer) I always secure a large plastic waterproof tarp over the tent anyways, just for added protection. You're taking this shit wayyyy too seriously.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 02:23:56 AM »
I hate shopping, but I love looking at and buying new camping gear for some reason. 

I bought this for car camping last year.  http://www.bigrays.com/proddetail.php?prod=19619

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 02:32:32 AM »
Bro that's all great and shit, but the guy said he's camping out in his friend's BACKYARD for one night. He's not going to conquer Mr.Everest, he doesn't need a 2000$ tent that's reinforced with carbon fibre and made from the latest space age materials and weighs 3lbs., I go camping usually twice per season (summer) I always secure a large plastic waterproof tarp over the tent anyways, just for added protection. You're taking this shit wayyyy too seriously.

:) I know I realized that.  I missed the "backyard" part first time around .  LOL. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 02:35:10 AM »
I hate shopping, but I love looking at and buying new camping gear for some reason. 

I bought this for car camping last year.  http://www.bigrays.com/proddetail.php?prod=19619

LOL This is more along the lines of what I was talking about.....http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Tent/filters/65

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 02:41:40 AM »
LOL This is more along the lines of what I was talking about.....http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Tent/filters/65
Nice tent man.  Should last a long time.  You ever see those canvas huters tents with the wood burning stove in them?  I saw one set up inside of sportsman's warehouse and was like, damn too bad I don't hunt.  I could fuckin live in something like that lol.  I think it cost around $1,000. 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 02:48:26 AM »
Camping is for poor people and hippies.....
No doubt about it...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 02:51:25 AM »
Nice tent man.  Should last a long time.  You ever see those canvas huters tents with the wood burning stove in them?  I saw one set up inside of sportsman's warehouse and was like, damn too bad I don't hunt.  I could fuckin live in something like that lol.  I think it cost around $1,000. 

Yeah those are awesome.  I'd love to spend a monty in Alaska just exploring around and using one of those as a base camp.  Cabela's has a good selection......http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0013882&navCount=1&parentId=cat550002&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat550002&parentType=index&indexId=cat550002&rid=

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
Camping is for poor people and hippies.....

Yeah and pacman shirts are for pimply faced no pussy getting teenage getbiggers named webcke :) 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 02:53:44 AM »
Yeah and pacman shirts are for pimply faced no pussy getting teenage getbiggers named webcke :) 

Translation = when i was a kid my family went on one holiday and we camped in the neighbours backyard.....
No doubt about it...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 02:55:15 AM »
Translation = when i was a kid my family went on one holiday and we camped in the neighbours backyard.....

First off I'm in the USA and we go on VACATION not pansy ass "holidays".  :)  LOL. 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:32 AM »
First off I'm in the USA and we go on VACATION not pansy ass "holidays".  :)  LOL. 

Translation = I only ever went on one "vacation".....
No doubt about it...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 03:02:13 AM »
Translation = I only ever went on one "vacation".....

Translation= I'm jealous because it's one more family vacation than I got to go on.   ;D

io856

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 03:02:49 AM »
webcke's life is a vacation  ;)

whatchu talkin bout

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »
webcke's life is a vacation  ;)

whatchu talkin bout

I can't complain....... 8)
No doubt about it...

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »
Oh brother you know nothing about quality camping gear if you think WalMart has very nice sleeping bags! LMAO!  No offense bro but you are clueless.  Im not saying you have to go out and buy a Western Mountaineering subkilo $500 bag.  But Walmart?  They probably carry cheap cotton or qualofil bags.  Like I said earlier You can find very nice used camping gear on ebay.  Even on craigslist.  The brand I mentioned Kelty is probably middle of the road as far as quality.  Definitely much better than Walmart/Coleman brand of camping gear but yet not as high end as say Sierra Designs/NorthFace/Mountain Hardware.  To the OPer.......if you just want some cheap ass tent for a one time use for a party type campout then yes go to Walmart.  But if you want something that is half way decent go elsewhere. 

Dear, Mr. McAnus, we camp anywhere's from 7-10 times a year. We bought a Tent at Wal-Mart quite a few years back that is STILL in GREAT condition. And, yes, I bought a sleeping bag ( again ) quite a few years ago from Wal-Mart that is .... wait for it ... wait for it ... STILL in great condition. You, sir ... are showing your true intelligence. I'm not clueless ... just conservative with my money.

Btw, I drive a Ford Taurus ... let me guess ... you drive a Mercedes ? My dick's ___ inches ... let me guess ... yours is double whatever number I place in the blank ? You see my point here, McAnus ? Like these guys have been saying ... he's not trying to conquer Mount fucking Everest ... but even if he wants to go camping out in the wilderness ( which I, personally, don't ... we do the whole " campground " thing ... yes, boring  ::) ... but fun because the kids love it ) he can with Wal-Mart gear. Jesus christ ... who's dense ? 

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »
I need to find a decent tent for under 200bucks that is good for two people.  My girlfriends friend is have a big party inwhich everyone is camping out in her backyard (yes I know kinda gay), but since I have to go I need to get a tent.  Have no fucking clue what to buy.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Are you 12??

Fuck that tent, get drunk and pull an all-nighter.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
I'm more of a wilderness camper, but I don't look down upon people who camp at campgrounds.  That is still better than not camping at all.  I will on occasion visit a campground. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »

Dear, Mr. McAnus, we camp anywhere's from 7-10 times a year. We bought a Tent at Wal-Mart quite a few years back that is STILL in GREAT condition. And, yes, I bought a sleeping bag ( again ) quite a few years ago from Wal-Mart that is .... wait for it ... wait for it ... STILL in great condition. You, sir ... are showing your true intelligence. I'm not clueless ... just conservative with my money.

Btw, I drive a Ford Taurus ... let me guess ... you drive a Mercedes ? My dick's ___ inches ... let me guess ... yours is double whatever number I place in the blank ? You see my point here, McAnus ? Like these guys have been saying ... he's not trying to conquer Mount fucking Everest ... but even if he wants to go camping out in the wilderness ( which I, personally, don't ... we do the whole " campground " thing ... yes, boring  ::) ... but fun because the kids love it ) he can with Wal-Mart gear. Jesus christ ... who's dense ? 

No I don't drive a Mercedez.  I drive a Toyota :)  More power to you bro!  But you still have no clue about wilderness gear.  Again I'm not trying to sound conceited or hoity toity.  Wal-Mart works for you and what you do with your family.  But if I took you backpacking throught the Sierras you're shit would fall apart.  That's all Im saying.  You're a weekend warrior not a serious wilderness adventurer who relies on his equipment to get him through bad weather, weeks on the trail, etc.  Like I said a Walmart tent is fine for the OPer.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Here's pics of me hardcore camping with my walmart gear 2 years ago!!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
Here's pics of me hardcore camping with my walmart gear 2 years ago!!

Man, life just doesn't get any better than that does it? 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Man, life just doesn't get any better than that does it? 

I wasn't kidding dude, me and my friends went HARDCORE camping in the middle of nowhere, left our cars 1 hour behind, carried everything on foot for 30 minutes and portaged twice to get to a remote little island where we actually set up site.