Author Topic: wide grip pull-ups for wider lats?  (Read 3244 times)

mademan80

• Getbig II
wide grip pull-ups for wider lats?
« on: March 23, 2009, 06:30:11 AM »
is it true that the wider you go on pull-ups that the wider your lats will stick out?...or does it have to do with weight? i try to go wide and use extra weight around the waist

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: wide grip pull-ups for wider lats?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »
is it true that the wider you go on pull-ups that the wider your lats will stick out?...or does it have to do with weight? i try to go wide and use extra weight around the waist

I have heard the opposite in fact, that close grip offers more contraction and the wider the grip, the less the lats can contract. Just what I heard.
I hate the State.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
tight grip = thickness
ex deadlifts, tight grip pulldowns, db rows,

wide grip = width
ex wide grip pulldowns, chins
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
I think they all work the lats for width, each one just a little differently. I just stick to close grip and medium grip, they're easier on the shoulder joints.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
I think they all work the lats for width, each one just a little differently. I just stick to close grip and medium grip, they're easier on the shoulder joints.

medium grip meaning shoulder width apart?...i always felt close grip were working my bi's a lttle more than i intended

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »
medium grip meaning shoulder width apart?...i always felt close grip were working my bi's a lttle more than i intended

Ya, i find shoulder width works well, Arthur Jones favored the same thing.

As far as working the bis too much, try different grips to reduce that and it'll hit the lats nicely including close grip.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
When the lats grow, they grow in depth and width, regardless of grip used.  I think the whole wide-grip thing is overrated and has caused many a shoulder injury.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
When the lats grow, they grow in depth and width, regardless of grip used.  I think the whole wide-grip thing is overrated and has caused many a shoulder injury.

Agreed; wide-grip are my least favorite due to the shoulder stress.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
i agree about the really wide grips and shoulder stress...also i think lats are one of those muscles that have a big genentic dynamic to them...im decently strong and my back is pretty thick but my lats arent that wide and ive tried just about everything.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
i agree about the really wide grips and shoulder stress...also i think lats are one of those muscles that have a big genentic dynamic to them...im decently strong and my back is pretty thick but my lats arent that wide and ive tried just about everything.

yeah me and you both...my back doesnt look bad but its not thick or wide....im going to try varying my grips for a couple of weeks and see what happens

Ya, i find shoulder width works well, Arthur Jones favored the same thing.

As far as working the bis too much, try different grips to reduce that and it'll hit the lats nicely including close grip.

and i should have asked this before but when you say close mean about 4-6in apart and the hands underneath the bar?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 05:02:37 PM »

and i should have asked this before but when you say close mean about 4-6in apart and the hands underneath the bar?

That's the right distance, or use medium shoulder grip, with a neutral grip like these to ithe neck or to behind the neck. Works best for pulldowns, rows or chins-any type of lat work, to me.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 05:06:27 PM »
That's the right distance, or use medium shoulder grip, with a neutral grip like these to ithe neck or to behind the neck. Works best for pulldowns, rows or chins-any type of lat work, to me.
Def for rows, although I like DB rows too.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Def for rows, although I like DB rows too.

Dbs the same thing applies: the grip's not limited as with a BB thus the same grip can be used.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »
Dbs the same thing applies: the grip's not limited as with a BB thus the same grip can be used.
I usually turn the top of the DB in toward my body so it is at an angle.  It just feels comfortable and natural. 
Squishy face retard

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »
I usually have my hands slightly wider than shoulder width.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
I usually turn the top of the DB in toward my body so it is at an angle.  It just feels comfortable and natural. 
i do the same

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
do yall do chins over or underneath the bar or both?

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 03:47:59 AM »
to the chest, not behind the neck
tank u jesus

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »
A wider grip (even an extra wide grip) can give the advantage of a different angle to stretching the lat's. Proper stretches do seem to have a influence of adding to the development of the lat's. Something akin to a straight/bent arm pullover stretch that affect the lat's very well. In this vein, also think of the stretch used in building calf's. Most forms of lat stretching can bring out the lat's very well. After a set of any back exercise some BB'ers will grab a solid piece of equipment, bend at the waist, and just stretch out the lats, one side at a time. They swear by this to help bring out the lat's.

Some may feel undo pressure on the joints with a wider grip, but that is usually because the shoulder girdle is too tight to begin with. The more a wide grip is used, the more the shoulder area becomes flexible, without any discomfort.There should be very little stress on the joints after awhile. One of the better ways to get upper body flexibility is to just hang from an overhead bar, from extra close to extra wide for 30 seconds of more. And as we all know, the secret to any stretching is to relax as it is being done.

Some folks have a narrow frame (or different  muscle inserts) to begin with, so the ability to get those broad  barn door lat's (muscle mag talk) will never happen. Though they can make the most of their potential with lat/back muscle depth/thickness. A mid to close curl or hammer grip seems to give the better muscle influence . That wider grip can also help with development, through the above mentioned  wide stretch.  Always room in any back program for extra wide to medium grip back exercises. Including DL/s and Bb rows. Good Luck.

Side Bar: one of the better chinning exercises, for me anyway, is the chin behind the neck (weight added). Touching the nap of the neck each rep.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »

Some may feel undo pressure on the joints with a wider grip, but that is usually because the shoulder girdle is too tight to begin with. The more a wide grip is used, the more the shoulder area becomes flexible, without any discomfort.There should be very little stress on the joints after awhile. , is the chin behind the neck (weight added). Touching the nap of the neck each rep.

It's nonsense to suggest that all of the potential issues with this movement are surmountable, and arrogant to speak for everyone rather than frame this as a personal opinion only. There are some real biomechanical issues that exist and can create problems with wide-grip pulldowns as well as military presses, as confirmed by some here.

When using a wide-grip mitigate the potential problems by using a controlled motion, weight that is not excessively heavy, no bouncing, and consider partial ROMs that avoid the bottom. And of course ensure a thorough warmup. Discontinue if there's any hint of pain.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
I prefer slightly wider than shoulder width grip..........even better if you can touch the mid to lower pecs to the bar..............ie.,better contraction.

At any rate,experiment and do what works for you.........it`s all about experimentation.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
i find going a little wider than shoulder width helps me a little bit more...i can feel my lats getting a good stretch

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 01:42:27 AM »
narrow grip chins using the triangle bar, touching below your pecs at the top,, one of the best for width for me personaly, fucking awsome stretch at the bottom

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »
i prefer a close grip, a little bit wider than shoulder wide.
a wide grip and i feel more my lats, but the exterior part.
asstropin

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »
narrow grip chins using the triangle bar, touching below your pecs at the top,, one of the best for width for me personaly, fucking awsome stretch at the bottom

how many do you normally do? and how often?