Author Topic: Don't want big muscles? Lift heavy.  (Read 7163 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Don't want big muscles? Lift heavy.
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
Interesting article on heavy vs. lighter training and intensity requirements.

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_11989984

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Don't want big muscles? Lift heavy.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »
Didn't read it but pretty sure it was written by a little guy

SHUTUPANDTRAIN

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »
Interesting article on heavy vs. lighter training and intensity requirements.

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_11989984

Hey Hey pellius are you in Palo Alto???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »

LOL... yeah, in theory, that 8 to 12 rep stuff with loads of chicken and rice is the gameplan.

In most gyms, the biggest and strongest guys are lifting dogshit heavy and eating all the double cheeseburgers they can get their hands on.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »
all those years of pushing heavy iron has taken a toll on one of my knees, today i train with lighter weights and higher reps for legs
tank u jesus

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:01:48 PM »
all those years of pushing heavy iron has taken a toll on one of my knees, today i train with lighter weights and higher reps for legs
do you go for the health look these days?

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »
do you go for the health look these days?

without steroids it's kinda hard to go for the freak look :D
tank u jesus

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »

Ski!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »

It's true man, when I first started lifting I got up to doing military presses with 2 1/2 plates a side, now if I tried that I think my shoulder would pop out of the socket, I definetly feel the wear and tear of years of heavy lifting, now I lift smart. Any guy that says years of heavy lifting doesn't take a toll on your body is full of shit, you feel it in your joints, ligaments and tendons.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
"For example, research from Arizona State University showed that the greatest strength gains on collegiate athletes were made training with 85 percent of their 1 rep max. In addition, this training load did not increase muscle size"

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Or they fucked up somewhere.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
It's not saying not to go heavy, but to go heavy in the context of medium or higher reps. Big difference in injury prevention and tissue development vs. lower reps and ponderous weight that strenthens ligaments and can cause more injuries.

I don't agree with the need for high volume though, maybe they didn't separate this out and consider what higher and lower volume could do while varying the intensity of each set.

In addition, this training load did not increase muscle size"

Using 85% of max. all the time isn't going to maximize size but it's good for athletics.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 12:19:57 PM »

Thread over....lock this bitch up.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »
heavy is a relative term. for some  a 280 bench press is heavy, for others like me i can do it for 20 or more reps. not bragging i think i suck and can get a lot stronger just illustrating that heavy is a relative term.
F

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »
It's not saying not to go heavy, but to go heavy in the context of medium or higher reps. Big difference in injury prevention and tissue development vs. lower reps and ponderous weight that strenthens ligaments and can cause more injuries.

I don't agree with the need for high volume though, maybe they didn't separate this out and consider what higher and lower volume could do while varying the intensity of each set.

Using 85% of max. all the time isn't going to maximize size but it's good for athletics.

Exactly. People often confuse training heavy and training heavy for you. For a novice doing an 185lb bench for 8 reps and failing at the ninth rep is just as heavy for him as a juiced up vet doing 8 reps at 405lbs. You should always train as heavy as you can within the given parameters. So if your rep scheme is 10 reps then you should pick a weight heavy enough that makes it impossible to do the 11th rep. You should always try for additional reps and in progressive training you hopefully should be able to say, work up to 12 reps, then you increase the weight and go at it again.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 01:02:44 PM »
It's true man, when I first started lifting I got up to doing military presses with 2 1/2 plates a side, now if I tried that I think my shoulder would pop out of the socket, I definetly feel the wear and tear of years of heavy lifting, now I lift smart. Any guy that says years of heavy lifting doesn't take a toll on your body is full of shit, you feel it in your joints, ligaments and tendons.

QFT.

Def important to maintain proper biomechanics as you approach failure.  Back in the day, I used to push more weight, and would usually end up getting sloppy on the last few reps.  Although I always maintained good form, I didn't concentrate enough on getting the muscles firing properly; caused lots of stress on the joints.  My reps are a lot more joint friendly these days, although I still go to failure.  If I knew then what I know now, eh.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
using light weights is for fags.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
heavy is a relative term. for some  a 280 bench press is heavy, for others like me i can do it for 20 or more reps. not bragging i think i suck and can get a lot stronger just illustrating that heavy is a relative term.
::)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
haha funk is one of the strongest benchers ever.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »

werd.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »
or bbers.
A

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:38 PM »
if you want to get big...... train with moderate weights in the 10-12 rep range.

if you want to stroke your ego and are insecure...... train with weights that are too heavy for you.

feel what you are doing!!!!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »
haha funk is one of the strongest benchers ever.
          i won't say that i think i suck, but i'm not terrible for a non juicer at 220 lbs bwt.
F

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »
if you want to get big...... train with moderate weights in the 10-12 rep range.

if you want to stroke your ego and are insecure...... train with weights that are too heavy for you.

staying in the comfort zone "wild willie"?

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »

::)

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »

I agree with this.

It's all about high intensity contractions and engourging the muscle with blood not to mention feeling the muscle do the work and not the joints. I occasionally train with an "IFBB Pro" who just recently went pro who suprisingly doesn't go as heavy as the impression his body would tell you.

Some of the best arms I've ever seen and he rarely uses a dumbbell heavier than 45lbs, 120 for incline presses and 8 plate a side for leg pressing. He constantly preaches that you must feel the muscle and only the target muscle doing the work. From what I understand he hasn't trained heavy in years and tells me he grew the most when he switched to a moderate weight for reps in the 10, 12 to 15 range.

- Block!
?