Author Topic: Floor Presses, has anybody used them regularly?  (Read 7326 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Floor Presses, has anybody used them regularly?
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:31:07 PM »
I was reading this months Musclemag, and it has JOJ's  routine in it. I have seen it before in Flex, and he list floor presses. In Flex I believe he stated it helps with the density. Has anybody ever used floor presses on a constant basis? If so , do you get odd stares from lying on the floor and pressing weight up?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Floor Presses, has anybody used them regularly?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:46:12 PM »
I think wicked has done them for some time maybe off and on but he could probably shed some light on it for you. I thought it was real weird when i first saw a guy doing this but i hear good things.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
I was reading this months Musclemag, and it has JOJ's  routine in it. I have seen it before in Flex, and he list floor presses. In Flex I believe he stated it helps with the density. Has anybody ever used floor presses on a constant basis? If so , do you get odd stares from lying on the floor and pressing weight up?

why you buying BB magazines  :-\
 ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »
I never got strange looks, but I wasn’t the only one in the gym doing them.
I didn’t see the article. I presume Johnny’s doing them for density in tri’s; not pecs?
How many repetitions is he doing?

Personally, I prefer the feel and safety of lockouts done inside a power rack.
I’d never used a size building rep scheme for either, and did not use them long enough to make a fair assessment (as a mass builder) anyway.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
Very limited R.O.M and they are not easy to do without a partner.

You could just as well do board-presses if you are that interested in them.

These type of exercises are geared toward powerlifting and your strength curve.

What kind of movement during the bench press ever stabilizes the elbows? I don't see any significant crossover happening here unless you are just totally trying to take momentum out of the lift, and you don't have to lay on the floor to do that.

Most "box press" type of lifts are extremely strenuous on the joints. Meh...

The Coach

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »
I used them regularly when I strained my pec-delt tie in area, or whatever you want to call it. Still get good contraction, just not a great stretch. It is hard to do though unless you have a good set-up (power rack, low curl rack etc.) and a good spotter. It's pretty much a bench press that's easier on the shoulder complex...but I prefer the stretch of a regular bench.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
why you buying BB magazines  :-\
 ;D

i happened to be waiting for my meds at the pharmacy and was reading the mag, and then i bought it to read at work.

I never got strange looks, but I wasn’t the only one in the gym doing them.
I didn’t see the article. I presume Johnny’s doing them for density in tri’s; not pecs?
How many repetitions is he doing?

Personally, I prefer the feel and safety of lockouts done inside a power rack.
I’d never used a size building rep scheme for either, and did not use them long enough to make a fair assessment (as a mass builder) anyway.

I beleive JOJ had said that this primarily helped in the desity of his chest.

Very limited R.O.M and they are not easy to do without a partner.

That is what JOJ said, he said that that limited ROM is the reason why it was so good. He made an anology that i have to go look for. but it made sense.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »
weak sauce old man  :P

Clean as a whistle.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »
i have done them for the last 2 weeks and i get a couple weird looks, fuck em'! i can't do the DB version, so i do the BB in the power rack.

its supposed to help with strength, since jackson has powerlifting background this is probably where he got them from. similar workouts are board presses and rack presses

its different from the board because you have the give of your chest still and its supposed to feel different as well (i have never done board presses, this is just what i have read about them).

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:32 PM »
I tried them before and I liked the way they felt, takes a little getting used to though. I think that it strengthens the triceps more than anything thats primarily why i tried them.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 12:57:57 AM »

That is what JOJ said, he said that that limited ROM is the reason why it was so good. He made an anology that i have to go look for. but it made sense.

You wouldn't have to worry about over-extending the joints, that's for sure.

There prolly isn't any other type of lift that is as cool for measuring sheer/brute-ass strength. There is absolutely no fking way to cheat. Your legs can't help, abs can't help, tricep max strength is tested to its limits, no bouncing, etc.

My guess is that if you took a powerlifter that used all the back-arching wide-grip (for decreased distance) techniques and his bench shirt-- and threw him on the floor to do close grip floor presses (with a customary weight)... his 'normal' lifts would drop so drastically he would think there was something wrong.

I'm not saying that they don't have their place, they would be best suited for powerlifters, not bodybuilders.

On the other hand, they may help a lagging tricep... I just think there are so many other exercises or styles of training (that are much less time-consuming) that a "bodybuilder" could do.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:47:17 AM »
I have tried them on a few occasions..... did receive a few strange looks from people....... not too bad of a movement.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »

You wouldn't have to worry about over-extending the joints, that's for sure.

There prolly isn't any other type of lift that is as cool for measuring sheer/brute-ass strength. There is absolutely no fking way to cheat. Your legs can't help, abs can't help, tricep max strength is tested to its limits, no bouncing, etc.

My guess is that if you took a powerlifter that used all the back-arching wide-grip (for decreased distance) techniques and his bench shirt-- and threw him on the floor to do close grip floor presses (with a customary weight)... his 'normal' lifts would drop so drastically he would think there was something wrong.

I'm not saying that they don't have their place, they would be best suited for powerlifters, not bodybuilders.

On the other hand, they may help a lagging tricep... I just think there are so many other exercises or styles of training (that are much less time-consuming) that a "bodybuilder" could do.

The anology that JOJ used is, and this is out of the Power Bodybuilding Workouts: The floor press is an ancillary movement on chest day...The floor press is o the bench press what the deadlift is to the squat. For both the bench and the squat, you first do the negative part of the rep-lowering the weight-and then do the positvie as you lift the weight. For deadlifts and floor presses, you do the positive part of the rep first, eliminating the advantage of the negative energy 

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »
The anology that JOJ used is, and this is out of the Power Bodybuilding Workouts: The floor press is an ancillary movement on chest day...The floor press is o the bench press what the deadlift is to the squat. For both the bench and the squat, you first do the negative part of the rep-lowering the weight-and then do the positvie as you lift the weight. For deadlifts and floor presses, you do the positive part of the rep first, eliminating the advantage of the negative energy 

I can dig that analogy. Right on.

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

You are wrong about the floor press. You should take the barbell out of the j-hooks bring it down till your triceps are flat on the floor, hold for a second and then press to lock out. This is to strengthen the mid-point of the bench press and also your triceps. If you are looking to thicken your chest then this movement isn't for you. This is for strength and explosive power not hypertrophy.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
Helps your lockout strength.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »

You are wrong about the floor press. You should take the barbell out of the j-hooks bring it down till your triceps are flat on the floor, hold for a second and then press to lock out. This is to strengthen the mid-point of the bench press and also your triceps. If you are looking to thicken your chest then this movement isn't for you. This is for strength and explosive power not hypertrophy.

I only was asking, and I believe JOJ had attributed this to his outstanding chest development. That analogy is what JOJ gave (or was ghost written), straight from a Flex article.

Ron Jeremy

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
The floor Press, rack lockouts and partials help strengthen the middle/top portion of the bench press. They are used almost exclusively by PL'ers esp. those who use the Bench Shirts and follow the Westside Barbell training method. They use extremely heavy weights. Use of elbow sleeves/wrist wraps is recommended.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »

Johnnie Jackson says that the upper pecs would be helped by this

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
Diggin up bones or what?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
I've done them... they have their place. If you're looking for some variety they're fun but unless you're a shirted bencher, don't really look for them to increase your overall bench power.

just speaking from experience.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »
Diggin up bones or what?

Actually, I was looking for the Ben White vs. JOJ on youtube that I posted on the G&O, and I found this "gem", and then I found my thread...