Author Topic: Miss California Sparks Furor With Gay Marriage Comments on Miss USA Telecast  (Read 26395 times)

The Coach

Absolutely Pathetic............

Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton was crowned Miss USA on Sunday, but the big story to come out of the normally politics-free telecast was Miss California's comments regarding gay marriage.

When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

Co-director Shanna Moakler told FOXNews.com that she fully supported Lewis' statement.

PHOTOS: Hot pics from last night's exciting show.

Miss California's answer sparked a shouting match in the lobby after the show. "It's ugly," said Scott Ihrig, a gay man, who attended the pageant with his partner. "I think it's ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the value of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are."

Charmaine Koonce, the mother of Miss New Mexico USA Bianca Matamoros-Koonce, argued back.

"In the Bible it says marriage is between Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!"

POP TARTS: More on Miss California's "gay marriage answer" controversy.

The pageant had enjoyed a scandal-free year until earlier this month, when Miss Universe 2008 Dayana Mendoza was skewered for a blog posting from a trip to Guantanamo Bay. The entry described having "aloooot of fun" at a base that houses the notorious military prison; it was later deleted from the pageant's Web site.

You Decide: Did Miss California's answer cost her the crown?

The winner, Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton, a 22-year-old aspiring motivational speaker and entertainer from Wilmington, edged out first runner-up Miss California, and second runner-up Miss Arizona USA Alicia-Monique Blanco, of Phoenix.

"It feels really natural," Dalton said of her win. "I've worked so be here and this has been my lifelong dream and it's finally here. And whoever knew you could win in a turquoise gown?"

Contestants from all 50 states and the District of Columbia competed in the pageant, aired live on NBC. Contestants were judged by their performance in swimsuit and evening gown modeling contests and their responses to a question asked onstage; unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA contestants do not perform a talent.

The top 15 contestants worked the stage in white string bikinis designed by pop star Jessica Simpson's swimwear line. Rocker Kevin Rudolf performed his song "Let it Rock," followed by The Veronicas, who performed their single "Untouched" as the top 10 beauties showed off their choice of glittering evening gowns.

Dalton's was a flowing, blue Grecian number that stood out among a series of white gowns.

Her title comes with a year's use of a New York apartment, a public relations team, a two-year scholarship at the New York Film Academy and an undisclosed salary.

She also will go to the Bahamas in August to compete in the Miss Universe pageant, where American beauties haven't been lucky in recent years. Both Miss USA 2008 Crystle Stewart and her predecessor, Rachel Smith, wiped out on stage during the evening gown competition, becoming accidental YouTube stars.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
This is disgusting.  Whatever you believe about the definition of marriage, this girl did not saying anything derrogatory.  She has a right to her opinion and if they want to pose a question like this (which isn't appropriate for a Mrs. America pagent IMO) then they can't blow up if they don't get the answer certain people may want.  More than 50% of the country agrees that marriage is defined as a man and a woman.  Many of us are in favor of civil unions which extend all the same rights and privilages under the state.

IMO, this is reverse intolerance and is unacceptible.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
This is disgusting.  Whatever you believe about the definition of marriage, this girl did not saying anything derrogatory.  She has a right to her opinion and if they want to pose a question like this (which isn't appropriate for a Mrs. America pagent IMO) then they can't blow up if they don't get the answer certain people may want.  More than 50% of the country agrees that marriage is defined as a man and a woman.  Many of us are in favor of civil unions which extend all the same rights and privilages under the state.

I could care less about the issue of gay marriage.  The government needs to get out of the entire business of marriage anyways, be it a man, woman, or sheep. 

However, all this proves is how fucking stupid these beauty pageant women are.  I mean for fuck's sake she's from California.  Did she really think she was going to win after a comment like that?  She learned the hard way that's for sure.  Atleast she wasn't as bad as the previous years Miss America. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Understood....but this also shows direct intolerance of the shows judge and co-producer, which is not appropriate.  The fact that this young lady was criticized for her opinion (and her placing possibly affected) is very disturbing.  Many on the left are incredibly intolerant if you do not share their view.

Purge_WTF

I applaud her for having the courage to express her views. Screw the Liberal weenies who booed her.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
That was just a stupid (and totally inappropriate) question for a beauty pageant judge to be asking.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Agreed, especially if they throw a fit if you don't agree with their view.  Hope this question is thrown out in the future.  Also hope that people see that this girl was treated unfairly.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Understood....but this also shows direct intolerance of the shows judge and co-producer, which is not appropriate.  The fact that this young lady was criticized for her opinion (and her placing possibly affected) is very disturbing.  Many on the left are incredibly intolerant if you do not share their view.

Heck, her answer represents what at least 52% of the voters in her states said last November.

The posters boys of tolerance being anything but that, when they don't get their way. Color me shocked!!!

Hereford

• Getbig V
Heck, her answer represents what at least 52% of the voters in her states said last November.

The posters boys of tolerance being anything but that, when they don't get their way. Color me shocked!!!

Hey, in Cali they protested and just short of rioted when they didn't get their way. They try to force it down societies collective throat via the voting box, then when that always fails they go hit up some liberal judge to declare the opposing viewpoint unconstitutional.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Hey, in Cali they protested and just short of rioted when they didn't get their way. They try to force it down societies collective throat via the voting box, then when that always fails they go hit up some liberal judge to declare the opposing viewpoint unconstitutional.

Tell me about it. And, there are rumors of gay activists doing yet more of that, acting a complete fool, if the CA court rules that Prop. 8 is simply an amendment and it remains in place (which, at the moment, appears likely).

Actually they didn't go the way of the ballot box. Prop. 8 was to counter the judges overturning Prop. 22 last year.

There was an article in the SF Chronicle by a black lesbian, in which she mentioned how much "hate mail" she and other blacks (gay and straight) got on her site and others. That came white gay activists and sympathizers, who were miffed by the reported 70% of black CA voters who tipped the scales for Prop. 8.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good for her.  Someone needs to teach homosexual marriage proponents about tolerance.   

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Incredibly stupid to ask such a question and then become offended when the contestent gives an honest answer. Don't ask controversial questions if you are not prepared for "real talk."
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Incredibly stupid to ask such a question and then become offended when the contestent gives an honest answer. Don't ask controversial questions if you are not prepared for "real talk."

Real talk and beauty pagents, that's like oil and water.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Mexicans.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

I agree completely.

Don't ask the question if you're not prepared to hear the answer people.

She said what she believes and I find no fault in it.

I don't agree with her stance, but it's her right to say it.

Fuck anyone who can't handle it.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
I could care less about the issue of gay marriage.  The government needs to get out of the entire business of marriage anyways, be it a man, woman, or sheep. 

However, all this proves is how fucking stupid these beauty pageant women are.  I mean for fuck's sake she's from California.  Did she really think she was going to win after a comment like that?  She learned the hard way that's for sure.  Atleast she wasn't as bad as the previous years Miss America. 

You do realize that California passed Prop 8 last year which reversed the previous decision that gay marriage was legal?  That was voted by the majority of voters in Cali which means most of the people in Cali don't believe it.

I don't' care one way or the other and I definitely agree with you about the government not being involved in marriage.  Everyone is entitled to her opinion so this really should be a non-issue.  Who fucking cares?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...

I agree
S

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
The fat cock gobbler Perez Hilton pushed to ask the question asked during a judges meeting. I'm sure he assumed that he'd get a free promotion of his gay marriage agenda over the airwaves. When she offered an opposing point of view, fatty decided to punish her. I applaud Ms. California for standing by her beliefs, knowing the homo would make her pay.

I just saw Perez Hilton give an interview, and he is such a smug asshole. He should punched in the face on national television.
!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
You do realize that California passed Prop 8 last year which reversed the previous decision that gay marriage was legal?  That was voted by the majority of voters in Cali which means most of the people in Cali don't believe it.

EXACTLY!!!

Hilton tried to use this paegant as a "informercial", using the beauty queen from his state. And, it BACKFIRED. That's what this was all about.

I mean, did he really believe that there was no chance that she would acutally think that marriage is between a man and a woman?At least 52% of voters of his state think that.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig

x2

Mons Venus

Absolutely Pathetic............

Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton was crowned Miss USA on Sunday, but the big story to come out of the normally politics-free telecast was Miss California's comments regarding gay marriage.

When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

Co-director Shanna Moakler told FOXNews.com that she fully supported Lewis' statement.

PHOTOS: Hot pics from last night's exciting show.

Miss California's answer sparked a shouting match in the lobby after the show. "It's ugly," said Scott Ihrig, a gay man, who attended the pageant with his partner. "I think it's ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the value of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are."

Charmaine Koonce, the mother of Miss New Mexico USA Bianca Matamoros-Koonce, argued back.

"In the Bible it says marriage is between Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!"

POP TARTS: More on Miss California's "gay marriage answer" controversy.

The pageant had enjoyed a scandal-free year until earlier this month, when Miss Universe 2008 Dayana Mendoza was skewered for a blog posting from a trip to Guantanamo Bay. The entry described having "aloooot of fun" at a base that houses the notorious military prison; it was later deleted from the pageant's Web site.

You Decide: Did Miss California's answer cost her the crown?

The winner, Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton, a 22-year-old aspiring motivational speaker and entertainer from Wilmington, edged out first runner-up Miss California, and second runner-up Miss Arizona USA Alicia-Monique Blanco, of Phoenix.

"It feels really natural," Dalton said of her win. "I've worked so be here and this has been my lifelong dream and it's finally here. And whoever knew you could win in a turquoise gown?"

Contestants from all 50 states and the District of Columbia competed in the pageant, aired live on NBC. Contestants were judged by their performance in swimsuit and evening gown modeling contests and their responses to a question asked onstage; unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA contestants do not perform a talent.

The top 15 contestants worked the stage in white string bikinis designed by pop star Jessica Simpson's swimwear line. Rocker Kevin Rudolf performed his song "Let it Rock," followed by The Veronicas, who performed their single "Untouched" as the top 10 beauties showed off their choice of glittering evening gowns.

Dalton's was a flowing, blue Grecian number that stood out among a series of white gowns.

Her title comes with a year's use of a New York apartment, a public relations team, a two-year scholarship at the New York Film Academy and an undisclosed salary.

She also will go to the Bahamas in August to compete in the Miss Universe pageant, where American beauties haven't been lucky in recent years. Both Miss USA 2008 Crystle Stewart and her predecessor, Rachel Smith, wiped out on stage during the evening gown competition, becoming accidental YouTube stars.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Sticky Studs is against gay marriage? LOL  :-*

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Whatever she believes, I am happy she said it and said proud. 

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
how does dicrimination feel, you like it?  try being a fuckin taxpayer and paying big taxes always on time and being treated like a second class citizen.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
how does dicrimination feel, you like it?  try being a fuckin taxpayer and paying big taxes always on time and being treated like a second class citizen.
I hate the State.