Author Topic: For people looking for squat tips  (Read 5276 times)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
For people looking for squat tips
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »

there is whole video series. this may be old but i haven't seen it and its helping me trouble shoot my squatting problem.

The Coach

Re: For people looking for squat tips
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »

there is whole video series. this may be old but i haven't seen it and its helping me trouble shoot my squatting problem.

Good vid. What was your problem?

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
Good vid. What was your problem?

i was rounding my back in the hole and trying to pop out of it. this is only on the heavier squats. also from years of not breaking parallel i feel as though my hams and glutes are weak which also may be contributing to the depth issue i have and the rounding.
i haven't watched all of them as of yet but i have already learned a lot!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »
cool thanks bro ill give it a watch tomorrow.

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »
Just trying to get a little more info......when you squat do you have a leg that buckles or turns in?

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
Just trying to get a little more info......when you squat do you have a leg that buckles or turns in?

no knee buckling. i usually do not have this unless i am going way above what i can handle.

i am having trouble staying in form in the hole. watching the videos i may have to work on some stretching. also i notice i have a tendency when i round my back at the bottom, to do a bit of a good morning movement. i worked on it a bit today.
next week i will most likely have entire workout based solely on the squat from box squats for speed to all out heavy sets. i am not sure though.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Excellent videos.

He's very knowledgeable & gets the ideas across well.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »

My right leg tends to buckle/turn in slightly sometimes.  Any tips?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
My right leg tends to buckle/turn in slightly sometimes.  Any tips?
sit BACK when you squat, not straight down, push your knees out to the sides when you descend.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 04:38:54 PM »
sit BACK when you squat, not straight down, push your knees out to the sides when you descend.

I do try and sit back, but the only way I can do it properly is with quite a wide stance.  Any closer and either my upper body has to bend forward too much or I fall over backwards!  I think that has contributed to some back problems I've been having.  It could be time to go back to basics with squats.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »
Start stretching your hams and hip flexors good. Everyone stretches their quads, but really focusing on hams and hip flexors can really improve your squatting ability.
No doubt about it...

splank

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »
Start stretching your hams and hip flexors good. Everyone stretches their quads, but really focusing on hams and hip flexors can really improve your squatting ability.

I agree. My hams are very flexible; however, my hip flexors are my weakness. I am going to work on the hurdler stretch and after trying the wall walk in this video and failing, I am determined to master that as well. Hopefully, they will loosen up the flexors. 

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
I do try and sit back, but the only way I can do it properly is with quite a wide stance.  Any closer and either my upper body has to bend forward too much or I fall over backwards!  I think that has contributed to some back problems I've been having.  It could be time to go back to basics with squats.

Without seeing a video and just based off what you described I would wager that your ab strength sucks.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 07:27:57 AM »
Without seeing a video and just based off what you described I would wager that your ab strength sucks.

Hmm... my abs are fine, I've never had a problem with them.  I work them regularly.  My whole core has generally been strong, since I started lifting I've always done exercises that require a strong core, deads, squats, standing militaries, etc.

I think the problem is in my form, maybe as I get to the bottom of the movement, I'm allowing my back to round slightly.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 09:06:52 AM »
Wondering if 11venthhour is more interested in PL'ing (using max weight & the bar held low on the shoulders/traps), rather than BB'ing (mid range weight with bar resting higher up on the traps/shoulders). Because that clip is a teaching method for heavy squatter's, with  focus on PL/Olympic lifters. BB'ers do not always need excessive weight during squat/leg workouts to gain impressive muscle mass.

In any event, have to get real and understand their are some who are not gifted at heavy squatting no matter how hard they try. Even with all the tips and advise they may gather over the years (same thing for the DL & bench for that matter.....those 400 benches people talk a lot about are not all that doable for most folks.). Can always improve the lift greatly by insuring all the links involved in the squat (from the neck all the way down to the  foot stance and even toe gripping) are  trained to the max and are all firing off for full potential of force.  But if the individuals body/leverage mechanics are just not set up for moving huge weight, than that will be very limiting. Bad news is more injury, than benefit, may develop.

There are a few methods that  I, and others, have used for greater squat/leg power. Might try wearing raised heels lifting shoes/boots or squat with the heels on a 2X4 or a pair of 45 plates. Sets a better balance and also hits the lower quads quite well. For a lot of guy's the lower back can feel less stress and fall in line with the rest of the body when squatting this way. Actually, if feeling undo stress in the lower back, when squatting, your form/style is wrong for your body type.

One legged step-up's (not to be confused with one legged squats) on a box or bench, with the height around your knee level. Always a good idea to work one leg at a time to insure equal strength levels and the all important balance. This also affects the hams/glutes/hips quite well. Try using a BB (some prefer a pair of DB's). adding weight as you get stronger.

Sissy squats, an excellent quad stretcher, which track and football players use a form of in training. This exercise must be learned the correct way. Suggest Vince Gironda method. You will know if your doing it right by the outstanding stretch and unreal burn. Good Luck.
F

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 09:17:10 AM »

Hip flexors and groin, I would say.

Allows for a much more erect position.
As empty as paradise

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »
Hmm... my abs are fine, I've never had a problem with them.  I work them regularly.  My whole core has generally been strong, since I started lifting I've always done exercises that require a strong core, deads, squats, standing militaries, etc.

I think the problem is in my form, maybe as I get to the bottom of the movement, I'm allowing my back to round slightly.

What sort of exercises do you use for your abs?  What about lower back training?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
What sort of exercises do you use for your abs?  What about lower back training?

I've done all sorts over the years, my staple has been decline weighted crunches I suppose, but like I said, I've always done the heavy basics like deads and militaries.  I always considered my lower back to be one of my strong points until the end of last year when I injured it somehow.  I think it was going too heavy on deads which did it.