Author Topic: unbalanced chest development  (Read 5087 times)

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
unbalanced chest development
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
im right handed, and my right upper pec is a little better developed than my left after about 6 years of training.  It isnt major but it bothers me, what can i do to even them out?
I dont like twinks.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: unbalanced chest development
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »
Dumbbell work. Don't dwell over it though, pretty much everyone has some kind of size/shape imbalance to some degree.
No doubt about it...

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:08:32 AM »
Dumbbell work. Don't dwell over it though, pretty much everyone has some kind of size/shape imbalance to some degree.

my right front delt is better developed than my left front delt  :-[

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:19:38 AM »
my right front delt is better developed than my left front delt  :-[

lol, don't get me started. I got an arm/leg imbalance that rivals Cutlers......... :-[
No doubt about it...

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:40:50 AM »
Join the club. I'm screwed too. >:(

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
The dominate side is usually a bit larger and strong than the other side. Right handed people suggest a stronger and larger right side. Left handed, the opposite. Even the Pro's are stuck with this.

The dominate side will lead, as in the BB bench press for example. If having a hard time on the last rep, you may notice the left hand trying catch up to the right hand, if you are right handed. Might consider more focus on DB or single handled grip machine work, could help a bit. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »
Might consider more focus on DB or single handled grip machine work, could help a bit. Good Luck.

Several years ago I had a minor size discrepancy between left and right pec.
More significant was a dramatic strength imbalance between R & L arms during pressing.

Switching to strictly db and unilateral machine work corrected about 95% of the strength issue, and the minor size difference is now practically non-existent.
The majority of my training is done like this now, and has been for about the last 2 years.

Would definitely recommend trying for at least 3-4 months.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 10:49:28 PM »
go figure this...im right handed and my bicep and tri and forearm are a little bigger then my left which is somewhat natural however my left pec is actually fuller then my right and i cant figure why...ive been on pretty much strictly db training for about 1 and a half years now for pressing movements but i cant figure it out for the life of me.....i dont know if had anything to do with a shoulder problem i had in my left shoulder and i played and lifted through it all through high school and 2 years of juniors hockey so im thinking that possibly my left pec was making up for the lesser strength in the shoulder???? is that possible?? either way its really annoying...its not noticeable unless you really look at it with my shirt off....but i still know its there and i wish it wasnt...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:58:25 AM »
...its not noticeable unless you really look at it with my shirt off....but i still know its there and i wish it wasnt...

It’ll always be noticeable to you, but even you admit it’s difficult to detect – and you’re looking for it.

Good test: See if any of your weightlifting buddies mention it, or if you get any comments from your girlfriend/wife or even from family/friends at the pool.
Familiarity is a good indication.
The people closest to you are often the most open about things like that.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »
ive asked my wife a while back and she noticed it after staring at me and then feeling me up hahaa....she said it was a small difference but i wish it would go away it bothers me...i just cant figure how my left pec is bigger then my right since i am right handed...the only thing i can think of is the shoulder problem i had for years with my left shoulder and the pec just made up for the weakness in the shoulder is that possible???

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »
...the only thing i can think of is the shoulder problem i had for years with my left shoulder and the pec just made up for the weakness in the shoulder is that possible???

Possibly.
Get somebody you trust at the gym to observe your form during chest movements.
There could be a discrepancy in your technique that may require a conscious correction or even necessitate different exercises or machines to fix.