Author Topic: Congress may hike Gas Taxes by 40 Cents per gallon to pay for highway fund.  (Read 4441 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Possible Tax Hike Could Increase Gas Prices By 40 Cents
theindychannel.com ^ | 06/03/09 | Rick Hightower

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:28:56 AM by Abathar

INDIANAPOLIS -- Gas prices, already on the rise, could jump significantly if Congress approves a large tax increase to help pay for the Federal Gasoline Tax Fund.

The increase could be as much as 40 cents a gallon. In exchange for the big increase, motorists would have a better chance of driving on better maintained state or federal highways, 6News' Rick Hightower reported.

Prices shot above $2.75 a gallon in central Indiana Tuesday. The last thing drivers wanted to hear was that a gas tax increase could send the price much higher, from the current 18 cents a gallon to 58 cents.

"With the way the economy is right now, to raise taxes again … is going to set things back to where it was before," said driver Craig Lewandowski. "The fact that gas prices went down helped out a lot of people."

"I don't like the prices now. I'm a college student. I have no money anyway," said Kara Prewitt. "Gas prices going up is never a good thing."

The fund that pays for highway construction would go broke in August unless Congress infuses about $7 billion needed to keep current projects going.

(Excerpt) Read more at theindychannel.com

________________________ ________________________ _____________

Change I still dont believe in. 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
OH please...like the gasoline tax goes to highway maintenance anyways.  It sure doesn't here, freaking wasteful government at all levels. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
OH please...like the gasoline tax goes to highway maintenance anyways.  It sure doesn't here, freaking wasteful government at all levels. 

All of these tax hikes, whether it be gasoline, cap & trade, etc are for one thing:

National Health Care. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
how come you didnt make a thread on oil prices? jumping 50% despite consumption levels at its lowest in a decade....

???

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
how come you didnt make a thread on oil prices? jumping 50% despite consumption levels at its lowest in a decade....

???

The two have nothing to do with each other. 

What I find hystrical is that now that GWB is not president anymore, no one is blaming Obama for this the same way Bush got blamed for high energy prices.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
What about the speculators Obama spoke of previously?  Will he address that issue as president?

Gas prices have gone up nearly 70cents/gallon again.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
The two have nothing to do with each other. 

theyre both shit. Thought you would understand that.

What I find hystrical is that now that GWB is not president anymore, no one is blaming Obama for this the same way Bush got blamed for high energy prices.  

bush vetoed any kind of alternative fuel bill that was put on his desk. He even put in place a law that restricts the development of alternative fuels for another 4-5 years if i remember correctly. Obama is kind of taking a new direction on that.

Hereford

• Getbig V
Here the gas tax is suppose to go into the roads, but if you look it actually goes into the general fund. Then they charge "for the roads" again when you go to the DMV.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Here the gas tax is suppose to go into the roads, but if you look it actually goes into the general fund. Then they charge "for the roads" again when you go to the DMV.

This is all to pay for national health care.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
40 cents?

Are they kidding? ::)

That won't do much good.

The gas tax needs to be at least a dollar or more higher in order to get any real effects on people's choice of vehicles.
As empty as paradise

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
No taxes for those making under 250 grand....yup. Good job Barry..tell us another. But before u do..I need to move all these muslims out of my way...I keep tripping over them.
L

tonymctones

• Getbig V
lol hahahah dems would lose congress in 10 and barry would lose the white house in 12...

Stormspirit

• Getbig IV
40 cents?

Are they kidding? ::)

That won't do much good.

The gas tax needs to be at least a dollar or more higher in order to get any real effects on people's choice of vehicles.
I don't like big government but gas taxes are one of the only taxes I think is constitutional.  I don't think they are trying to urge conservation with this tax, but if they do choose to raise taxes on gas to curb consumption then they really should NOT tax airlines, big rigs etc. commercial uses basically to minimize price increases on goods and services

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
I don't like big government but gas taxes are one of the only taxes I think is constitutional.  I don't think they are trying to urge conservation with this tax, but if they do choose to raise taxes on gas to curb consumption then they really should NOT tax airlines, big rigs etc. commercial uses basically to minimize price increases on goods and services
But to tax more when consumption is down?  The only explanation I can think of is to raise capital for more of their BS social programs. 

Seriously, we should build nuke reactors like the ones in Europe, we would have cleaner more efficient energy and we could drive whatever we want without worry. 

Barry is just reneging on yet another promise; big surprise there.
Squishy face retard

Stormspirit

• Getbig IV
But to tax more when consumption is down?  The only explanation I can think of is to raise capital for more of their BS social programs. 

Seriously, we should build nuke reactors like the ones in Europe, we would have cleaner more efficient energy and we could drive whatever we want without worry. 

what bugs me is how we supposedly need a 'stimulus package to repair out crumbling infrastructure.  our infrastructureis supposed to and should have been maintained, but politicians diverted money for infrastructure to social welfare programs

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
what bugs me is how we supposedly need a 'stimulus package to repair out crumbling infrastructure.  our infrastructureis supposed to and should have been maintained, but politicians diverted money for infrastructure to social welfare programs

Thats because it is used for the general fund and wasted like most other govt expenditures. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
People should nearly revolt if they raise taxes on gas.  Gas has already climbed again in the past 2-3 months.  When gas was around $4/gallon we all bitched, business and commerce suffered greatly.  We are still in a recession, you don't raise taxes!  This will hurt people and businesses.
How about decreasing the f'n spending and leaving our $ alone!

Obama should deal with the speculators who help drive prices up.  This was one of his big arguments before he was president.  Nothing has been done so far.

Hereford

• Getbig V
People should nearly revolt if they raise taxes on gas.  Gas has already climbed again in the past 2-3 months.  When gas was around $4/gallon we all bitched, business and commerce suffered greatly.  We are still in a recession, you don't raise taxes!  This will hurt people and businesses.
How about decreasing the f'n spending and leaving our $ alone!

Obama should deal with the speculators who help drive prices up.  This was one of his big arguments before he was president.  Nothing has been done so far.

The democrats will NEVER cut back on any social programs. Social dependency creates the bulk of their support.

MM2K

• Getbig IV

Yep. And let us not forget that $2.50 gas in 2009 is quite a bit different than $2.50 gas in 2004.

Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

MM2K

• Getbig IV
bush vetoed any kind of alternative fuel bill that was put on his desk. He even put in place a law that restricts the development of alternative fuels for another 4-5 years if i remember correctly. Obama is kind of taking a new direction on that.

Ummm, are you sure about that? That really doesnt seem right. In any event, the only viable alternative fuel right now is nuclear, and the democrats are against it. Allow oil companies to raise the supply of oil and treat the dollar more responsiblly. That is the way to fix this problem.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Hereford

• Getbig V

Ummm, are you sure about that? That really doesnt seem right. In any event, the only viable alternative fuel right now is nuclear, and the democrats are against it. Allow oil companies to raise the supply of oil and treat the dollar more responsiblly. That is the way to fix this problem.

The price of gas at the pumps has nothing to do with the supply of oil.

They are at max capacity right now. They are paying to store oil in tankers off the coast of Texas because they have no where to put it.

Yet gas rose 50 cents this week...

body88

Possible Tax Hike Could Increase Gas Prices By 40 Cents
theindychannel.com ^ | 06/03/09 | Rick Hightower

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:28:56 AM by Abathar

INDIANAPOLIS -- Gas prices, already on the rise, could jump significantly if Congress approves a large tax increase to help pay for the Federal Gasoline Tax Fund.

The increase could be as much as 40 cents a gallon. In exchange for the big increase, motorists would have a better chance of driving on better maintained state or federal highways, 6News' Rick Hightower reported.

Prices shot above $2.75 a gallon in central Indiana Tuesday. The last thing drivers wanted to hear was that a gas tax increase could send the price much higher, from the current 18 cents a gallon to 58 cents.

"With the way the economy is right now, to raise taxes again … is going to set things back to where it was before," said driver Craig Lewandowski. "The fact that gas prices went down helped out a lot of people."

"I don't like the prices now. I'm a college student. I have no money anyway," said Kara Prewitt. "Gas prices going up is never a good thing."

The fund that pays for highway construction would go broke in August unless Congress infuses about $7 billion needed to keep current projects going.

(Excerpt) Read more at theindychannel.com

________________________ ________________________ _____________

Change I still dont believe in. 

Try living in Taxachussets under the Patrick administration. 

mass 04

• Getbig V

Try living in Taxachussets under the Patrick administration. 
QFTX10000. What a shit election that was, Muffy Healey or Barack jr.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
The democrats will NEVER cut back on any social programs. Social dependency creates the bulk of their support.
Bingo!
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

{LOL} Cappy, I'm a little lost. Please explain to me how big shiny new nuclear reactors will allow people to drive whatever they want? Could you please expound on that for those of us who are a bit slow? Thanks snookums.  :-*
w