Author Topic: Good tri Excersise  (Read 9860 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Good tri Excersise
« on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
I read about these in md mike libertore does them and experimented with them today
awesome..... movement
lying one arm tri extensions 
which essentially is like skullcrushers but done with one arm at a time dumbell going behind the head
great excersise definetley will keep that in my line up
anybody ever try these?
choice is an illusion

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Good tri Excersise
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »

I did two arms today, using DB's instead of a Barbell.
Sometimes I use both arms, with my head off the bench, and my finished position is where my arms are parallel with the floor, these I've seen called as "Adams Extensions." They really kill my arms.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:20:15 PM »
That 2 handed version is something i've been suggesting for years, it doesn't get any better than that.

I tried 1 arm extensions in the 70s, didn't like them much both because they put more pressure on the elbows and because the extra balance required didn't make it as good, to me.

But after reading this today i decided to try them again in this afternoon's workout. I did 1 arms fully bent over, using an overhead cable. What i'd suggest, to get the most out of 1 arms:

-If you do them seated with DBs, alot of people find these eventually hurt the elbows due to the angle of the resistance, in which case modify the ROM a little to avoid that. Martinez for example, lowers his elbow more and says this keeps the pressure off the elbows.

-Use cables - you not only get the constant tension, you also have a much larger range of possible angles to try, PLUS the resistance comes at you in different ways from free weights-it's easier to transfer the pressure to the muscle and off the elbows.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
I do seated ones, probably should try them lying down but always seems to turn into pullovers with me anyway.
I hate the State.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »
seated kills my elbows but hit the lng head...
this lyng one arm dumbell is really good .. didnt go heavy my heviest set was 40's for 15 reps i used ut as a finishing movement .... my tris a sore today.... my arms usually never  get sore
choice is an illusion

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
I read about these in md mike libertore does them and experimented with them today
awesome..... movement
which essentially is like skullcrushers but done with one arm at a time dumbell going behind the head
anybody ever try these?

if you mean holding them like a "hammer", then yes i do this from time to time.

really good..

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »
awesome..... movement
anybody ever try these?

I do these except, I use two dumbells @ the same time.

BatistaSL

• Getbig II
  • Whatever doesn't kill me, Makes me Stronger!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
ill try this...

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 04:17:24 AM »
if you mean holding them like a "hammer", then yes i do this from time to time.

really good..

yes.... exactly... I do them a dumbell each hand sometimes.. but doing them one arm at a time is superior... very good tri movement... like i said i try to keep my upper arm (bicep) stationary right beside my ear so u get a full stretch.. hits my tri nicely
 8)
choice is an illusion

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »
good tri exercise

i also use a triceps bar

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
good tri exercise

i also use a triceps bar

My sentiments, at the top of the tree for extensions along with a "super E-Z curl" bar or 2 hands around one DB. Those two bars have never been widely available or popuar but are in fact the best bars when it comes to extensions. There was another bar like those that used to be available in the 70s but i never see it anymore.

I find the 2 handed stuff more effective; the only real value for 1 arm to me is to ensure that both sides get the same treatment, if one arm doesn't quite balance with the other.

Super E-Z curl:

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
Often a simple EZ bar is used

&feature=related

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »
Personally, I love db extensions (one arm at a time) where you extend overhead, or perform them lying on a bench, but bring the db across your body......in other words, bring the db across your chest, and then back to full lockout. This movement will focus on your outer tris. I have noticed such a dramatic change in my triceps development due to this exercise.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 01:11:58 PM »
Personally, I love db extensions (one arm at a time) where you extend overhead, or perform them lying on a bench, but bring the db across your body......in other words, bring the db across your chest, and then back to full lockout. This movement will focus on your outer tris. I have noticed such a dramatic change in my triceps development due to this exercise.

Agreed, crossing over with a DB or pulley makes a big difference on really hitting the outer heads.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »
Agreed, crossing over with a DB or pulley makes a big difference on really hitting the outer heads.

personally i like the stading cable version with 1 hand at a time... for some reason they don't bother my elbows at all... and the constant tension is nice because i often do them at the end of the tri workout

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
personally i like the stading cable version with 1 hand at a time... for some reason they don't bother my elbows at all... and the constant tension is nice because i often do them at the end of the tri workout

Ya as i mentioned in an earlier post cables are better for me in general as they don't hit the joints as much and there are more angles available.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »
I've been using these recently. Charles Glass has his clients do them. It's a cable pushdown using the close grip attachment you would use for cable rows for example. Have your knuckles face each other and elbows flared out. I can't find the vid.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
I've been using these recently. Charles Glass has his clients do them. It's a cable pushdown using the close grip attachment you would use for cable rows for example. Have your knuckles face each other and elbows flared out. I can't find the vid.
i do these some times as well hits the outer part of the tri nicely
choice is an illusion

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »
i do these some times as well hits the outer part of the tri nicely

meso have you ever tried those close grip presses on the machine?

They look very good..

At 3:57

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »

They look very good..

Funny because those are essentially the close-grip smith's i've suggested that kick ass even though many here dismiss them. Lots of people who hate the smith for various reasons don't give it a real chance i think. That machine's similar to smith though not exactly the same0but with experimentation with different variations the smith would give you something similar.

While it's true that sometimes it's not the best choice for certain exercises, there are various pressing motions in which they're actually better if given a serious chance without bias-you have to try different variations to find out what hits the spot before writing it off. For example the use of partial ROMs that i'm big on, they make a difference in this context.

I used to do the same thing on the universal machine, putting a bar across the handles to make neew exercises.

Those guys know a lot yet they still make the mistake of doing skulls, though they're not as bad as they could be.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 04:00:49 AM »

They look very good..

At 3:57

i have ...not really a fan of those...
choice is an illusion

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 07:55:16 AM »
My elbows don't like the 1-hand extensions, so I tend to use this bar as well.

good tri exercise

i also use a triceps bar

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »
did these today

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 02:33:12 PM »
did these today

Old skool; very rarely done anymore. IMO it's better to do these with a slight cheat to make them more effective.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
did these today

God, it's been a while since I've done them!  I might give them a go next week after seeing that.