Author Topic: For nattys 30 years and older...  (Read 79593 times)

Rammstein

• Getbig III
Re: For nattys 30 years and older...
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
Alot of people are getting good results with it.

+1

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
43,,,train 4x per wk,bodyparts once per wk,calves and abs 2x,training long time,competed as middleweight 5'7 is closer 5'8 i guess depends on weather,,some supp's nothing out of the ordinary .eat 4-6 meals per day,relativley clean.clean/dirty bulk in winter a tad,,pics taken aug 2011.

Would love to compare notes on training....42yo here...I train 4 - 5x/week....going to switch to this:

Sunday - Off/Cheat Day (5 -6000 cals)
Mon - Chest/Calf/Shoudler stability work
Tue - Back (Calves) - also deadlift day 1850cals
Wed - Core/Abs/functional work - 1700cals
Thurs - Off/eat normal till last meal of day - Cheat meal (maybe 1200 - 1500 cals)
Friday - Delt/Bi/Tri/Ab - 1850cals
Sat - Legs - 1850cals

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »
I NEVER thought I would be doing core/functional shit when I was 25....now, absolutely...then again, I stopped being a bodybuilding douche in 2008....

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:22 AM »
How many of you switched up your routines for 2012?  I adjusted mine recently to more reps/sets/volume with lighter weight.  Tendonitis flare up in right elbow and a little sprain in right shoulder too so moderate to heavy is out for a while. 

Workouts are now a bit more cardio like with minimal rest between sets.  Good pumps and works so far.  Probably will take a couple months to let that heal up.   ;)

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »
I think I'm switching over to 531, and will start conservatively. Slow but sure progress for my old bones.

Have you tried taking cissus? Check out mobilitwod.com. Paul Carter recommends lots of light curls plus elbow sleeves:

Quick question actually, I remember you mentioning you had some tendinitis in your elbows and that it has gotten better. What did you do to fix it? Do you wear the inzer sleeves you have because of that? I have some bicep tendinitis mine originates in my shoulder but it's been wreaking havoc up and down my arm when it's inflamed just looking for ideas.

Thanks for another awesome post!

Paul CarterJan 25, 2012 09:06 AM
Jason - The elbow sleeves all the time. I would wear em about half the time before and that was a mistake. I wear em for every pressing session now. That an also concentrating on lots and lots of curls. Light for like 4-5 sets of 20. When I say light, I mean like 70-75 pound barbell curls and 30 pound db curls for 5 sets of 20. Helps a ton.

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2012/01/company-that-you-keep.html

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
I haven't started taking that or anything else really.  So far joints are ok. (not jinxing it I hope)  The MSM/Chondrotin helps and I have 2 bottles left.  So someday when it runs out or expires I might try the other stuff you mentioned.  

Except once in a while the tendonitis flares up in the right arm.  Probably not joint (ball socket, etc) related.  I think it is mostly that outer tendon from lots of right arm repetitive and shocking motions (kendo).  A good tennis wrap seems to help so far and adjusting my workout whenever it goes wacky.  

I think I'm on the same path as that guy who responded to you.  I lightened things up, go for higher reps, sets, and more volume vs heavy short and sweet.  I wear a wrap and so far it is getting better.  

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
i take tribulus with great results. and saw palmetto as well to avoid sides.
X

charlievanriper

• Getbig I
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »
55 yr old Natural Bodybuilder Glad to be a part of this forum Guys Thx

AVBG

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:24 AM »
55 yr old Natural Bodybuilder Glad to be a part of this forum Guys Thx

Enjoy it Charlie. Be prepared to take some knocks, but don't take it too seriously

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:55 AM »
38 - no real signs of weakening yet

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 05:25:04 AM »
51 years old (2 weeks out of getting 52 :'(), training since 1980 (public Gym since 1981). Had some serious injuries in my late 30īs early 40īs (also tendom rupture left leg), where i lifted my personal records (Deadlift 725 lbs, Bench 485 lbs unequipped).
Since my mid 40īs i train all rep-ranges from 3 - 50 + reps. I take 4 joint support capsules/Daily + 4-6 Omega 3 + 1g Vitamin C, and training the exercises my Body and tendoms/ligaments can handle with.
I dropped my bodyweight last year down from 310-320 lbs (6 "2") to 242 lbs., and now act. again in gaining a bit muscles again (current weight 258 lbs, would not go any higher than 264 again, itīs enough for my age).

here is one example set of my 2nd triceps-exercise yesterday, last set triceps pushdowns on a Life fitness lat pulldown, seated on a 80 Degree incline bench (5th oct. 2014)....

i train 3 times in 5 days.....sometimes (if needed) i take a extra day off.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:54 AM »
51 years old (2 weeks out of getting 52 :'(), training since 1980 (public Gym since 1981). Had some serious injuries in my late 30īs early 40īs (also tendom rupture left leg), where i lifted my personal records (Deadlift 725 lbs, Bench 485 lbs unequipped).
Since my mid 40īs i train all rep-ranges from 3 - 50 + reps. I take 4 joint support capsules/Daily + 4-6 Omega 3 + 1g Vitamin C, and training the exercises my Body and tendoms/ligaments can handle with.
I dropped my bodyweight last year down from 310-320 lbs (6 "2") to 242 lbs., and now act. again in gaining a bit muscles again (current weight 258 lbs, would not go any higher than 264 again, itīs enough for my age).

here is one example set of my 2nd triceps-exercise yesterday, last set triceps pushdowns on a Life fitness lat pulldown, seated on a 80 Degree incline bench (5th oct. 2014)....

i train 3 times in 5 days.....sometimes (if needed) i take a extra day off.

8),,,GOOD LUCK..

J. Richards

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »
48 yrs old...  training non-stop for 34 yrs..(minus Desert Shield/Storm pullups, pushups n sea bag squats.. lol ) trained for 6 days/week. each bodypart twice/week down to 3 days/week, each bodypart once per week since 1995 (last bodybuilding contest) ....  train smarter, eat clean, use 2/3 the weight, less sets but more reps, flawless form....... look as good or better than '95 and feel great... no joint pains or bad workouts.... 3 kids.... 4th on the way.....  best investment was in 1996... dumbbells and rack and parabody 200lb stack with adj. bench......  train legs at gym....... that being said,,,  recovery time seems a bit longer than at 25, but that is expected.... surprising to be able to maintain mass over the years and still stay lean... but I guess no substitute for experience....    arms stay at 18" and legs 26".... but that's fine with me.... going back to the heavy stuff would be a lesson in joint pain to say the least....   ;D      get bugged constantly to do a Natural Masters.... who knows...... props to all w/kids and still keeping it real in the gym department..... not easy....  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:20 PM »
48 yrs old...  training non-stop for 34 yrs..(minus Desert Shield/Storm pullups, pushups n sea bag squats.. lol ) trained for 6 days/week. each bodypart twice/week down to 3 days/week, each bodypart once per week since 1995 (last bodybuilding contest) ....  train smarter, eat clean, use 2/3 the weight, less sets but more reps, flawless form....... look as good or better than '95 and feel great... no joint pains or bad workouts.... 3 kids.... 4th on the way.....  best investment was in 1996... dumbbells and rack and parabody 200lb stack with adj. bench......  train legs at gym....... that being said,,,  recovery time seems a bit longer than at 25, but that is expected.... surprising to be able to maintain mass over the years and still stay lean... but I guess no substitute for experience....    arms stay at 18" and legs 26".... but that's fine with me.... going back to the heavy stuff would be a lesson in joint pain to say the least....   ;D      get bugged constantly to do a Natural Masters.... who knows...... props to all w/kids and still keeping it real in the gym department..... not easy....  
i'm 46 similar backrounds and i have 3 kids too,but 4  :o...same training philosophy..

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »
8),,,GOOD LUCK..

thanks......hope to keep fit even when iīm 60 +......

since my late 40īs i finish some exercises with very high rep sets....find a weight which bring me relative easy through the first 30 reps....and then go on for another 20-40 reps thinking "just 5 more....come on only 4 more,...and so on....and stop when the rep range (rom) starts getting to short.....this morning i finished chest with pec-deck (Butterfly...), 200 lbs. Stack + 2 x 5 kg plates, total 222 lbs. for + 50 reps....

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »
44 years old, been training since I was 18.

I noticed a drop off around 39 and then a larger one around 42. It's obvious I'm putting in the same effort but for diminishing returns now, and I seem to get a mild injury every second week. Currently battling golfers elbow and shoulder pain.

I switched up my training last year and went higher volume and lower weight but I seem to be smaller than when i was doing less with more weight. Maybe it's just age - who knows? I'm happy enough with things (until I see photos of myself from say, 6 ears ago).

Not too sure about trt. I know 3 guys who all had heart attacks after starting trt and one of their doctors blamed the trt straight away. My wife is trying to convince me to age gracefully!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 08:52:38 AM »
44 years old, been training since I was 18.

I noticed a drop off around 39 and then a larger one around 42. It's obvious I'm putting in the same effort but for diminishing returns now, and I seem to get a mild injury every second week. Currently battling golfers elbow and shoulder pain.

I switched up my training last year and went higher volume and lower weight but I seem to be smaller than when i was doing less with more weight. Maybe it's just age - who knows? I'm happy enough with things (until I see photos of myself from say, 6 ears ago).

Not too sure about trt. I know 3 guys who all had heart attacks after starting trt and one of their doctors blamed the trt straight away. My wife is trying to convince me to age gracefully!
whats your stats?how heavy are your heavier sets/reps ?how many days training/diet like?

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »
MVA for my 40th B-day, without Test would have still been trying to press and squat 315.....just mil. pressed 225 for 3... a must I think for injury recovery, would have loved pharma hgh,

and only running 200 cyp x 10 days....legally  ;D

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:37 PM »
whats your stats?how heavy are your heavier sets/reps ?how many days training/diet like?

As of this morning I'm 180lbs and 5'11. My best no bullshit bodyfat guess is probably 11-12%.
I used to weigh 187 at around 8% which I could maintain pretty easily.

I used to train 3 days a week - Mon/Wed/Fri - a push/pull split which I'd reverse the following week. Usually heavy (for me) - 2-3 worksets per exercise 8-12 reps. My best benching was with 120lb dumbells and I was dipping with 130lbs (eventually gave them away  and did flyes instead). Chins with 35lbs, bent over rows (strict) - 170lbs max, squats with 3 plates.....nothing extra special but it always seemed to work well for me.

Since going lighter I've kept the same split but now I'm doing 5 sets of 15-20 with 80's (and decreasing the weight each set if I need to -which seems to be more and more often lately) , 4 sets of 15 flyes with 50's or 55's, 6 sets of 12 chins without weight, bent over rows 4 sets of 15 with 110lbs, squatting with 2 plates (I may go a little heavier depending on my energy levels)...

Arms have been put on the backburner until I can shift this elbow pain. Same with my shoulders - I do a few sets of laterals but no pressing lately.

I don't rest much between sets at all. A minute would be unusual.

I will admit, my back seems to be responding well to the lighter higher load. Nothing else though.
That's about it. I don't eat much but I never have.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
As of this morning I'm 180lbs and 5'11. My best no bullshit bodyfat guess is probably 11-12%.
I used to weigh 187 at around 8% which I could maintain pretty easily.

I used to train 3 days a week - Mon/Wed/Fri - a push/pull split which I'd reverse the following week. Usually heavy (for me) - 2-3 worksets per exercise 8-12 reps. My best benching was with 120lb dumbells and I was dipping with 130lbs (eventually gave them away  and did flyes instead). Chins with 35lbs, bent over rows (strict) - 170lbs max, squats with 3 plates.....nothing extra special but it always seemed to work well for me.

Since going lighter I've kept the same split but now I'm doing 5 sets of 15-20 with 80's (and decreasing the weight each set if I need to -which seems to be more and more often lately) , 4 sets of 15 flyes with 50's or 55's, 6 sets of 12 chins without weight, bent over rows 4 sets of 15 with 110lbs, squatting with 2 plates (I may go a little heavier depending on my energy levels)...

Arms have been put on the backburner until I can shift this elbow pain. Same with my shoulders - I do a few sets of laterals but no pressing lately.

I don't rest much between sets at all. A minute would be unusual.

I will admit, my back seems to be responding well to the lighter higher load. Nothing else though.
That's about it. I don't eat much but I never have.
good stuff and training galain,,,some good heavy training there in past rows/presses ..

i'm 46
5'7 or 5'8 lol..180-190 depends winter/super summer shape never go past 10pct,,right now slight bulk look for me,,usually 8pct ish abs always in total or close
train 4 days mon/wed/thurs/sat or sun if i work saturdays...if i have ex time i do a pump day in home gym setup too so thn its 5 days always 4 tho.
competed in 90's as a middlewight
i get on strong days db chest presses 85/90 some good reps/flyes inc/ flat 50/60's still
db curls bi's 45/50's on strong days usually 40's is right tempo/pump sometimes u have to show off lol..
legs i am very strong 405 for 8 -10 wrapped/belt,leg presses 7-8 plates per side/hacks up to 6 plates per side.
back bent over rows up to 245 and i'm still getting 8-10 reps/chins sets of 12 bodyweight easy/back im strong as well up to 90/100 on db rows
delts i do pump work works for me same as tri's,,,shrugs i get up to 315
eating 4/5 times a day i graze small amounts.. good on protein /mod carbs /some fats ..i portion
zero cardio.....

this pic was last week...

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
I'm a year and half off 46 mate and would be more than happy to look like that!

I always liked the heavy training but as I got older the injuries became more and more niggling.

My wife keeps telling me to compare myself to other 44 year olds, not myself at 34. Maybe she has a point!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
I'm a year and half off 46 mate and would be more than happy to look like that!

I always liked the heavy training but as I got older the injuries became more and more niggling.

My wife keeps telling me to compare myself to other 44 year olds, not myself at 34. Maybe she has a point!

I get some little bugs here and there,but I usually heal quick or its not even an issue,i sleep 6/7 hrs ,never miss a meal..LOTS ENERGY..3 KIDS 9/5/1...SUPPLEMENTS WHEY/MULTI/JUST STARTED CREATINE AGAIN USUALLY WINTER HEAVIER TRAINING/AGMATINE A NO PRECURSOR BETTER THAN ARGININE...THATS ALL...

jonsgym

• Getbig I
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »
Hi Guys, I am new to Getbig forums and am enjoying the info you pick up on here. I am 67 years old, married,  and have two children. My eldest is 38 years old and my youngest is 11. I train every day, either in our own beautiful gym my wife and I had built in our back garden or in gyms all over the world, as I work for a major British airline and am in a different country and continent most weeks. I love visiting the USA and training in the great gyms you have.
Setting goals is important as you get older, in order to give you something to focus on, I have competed  since I was 16 years old with breaks in the competitive side of things to race on my bike on the Velodromes which is really exciting, but does get you some broken bones now and again. I have never stopped training in the gym except when in hospital due to cycling injury, food poisoning or stuck in war zones while flying.
I have been very lucky in having some great teachers/mentors/friends in bodybuilding. My best friend is Amateur and Professional  NABBA Universe winner Len Sell, I was also trained by Vince Gironda and I worked for and trained with Reg Park in the '60s. Each workout I focus and visualise how I want to look, no music, no talking, just concentration. Con sen trate it comes from a Chinese word and it means, Look towards the Center  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
Hi Guys, I am new to Getbig forums and am enjoying the info you pick up on here. I am 67 years old, married,  and have two children. My eldest is 38 years old and my youngest is 11. I train every day, either in our own beautiful gym my wife and I had built in our back garden or in gyms all over the world, as I work for a major British airline and am in a different country and continent most weeks. I love visiting the USA and training in the great gyms you have.
Setting goals is important as you get older, in order to give you something to focus on, I have competed  since I was 16 years old with breaks in the competitive side of things to race on my bike on the Velodromes which is really exciting, but does get you some broken bones now and again. I have never stopped training in the gym except when in hospital due to cycling injury, food poisoning or stuck in war zones while flying.
I have been very lucky in having some great teachers/mentors/friends in bodybuilding. My best friend is Amateur and Professional  NABBA Universe winner Len Sell, I was also trained by Vince Gironda and I worked for and trained with Reg Park in the '60s. Each workout I focus and visualise how I want to look, no music, no talking, just concentration. Con sen trate it comes from a Chinese word and it means, Look towards the Center  
8)...

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
ver stopped training in the gym except when in hospital due to cycling injury, food poisoning or stuck in war zones while flying.

is Len Sells gym in Walthamstow still going?
c