Author Topic: British Bulldogs Thread:  (Read 182475 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: British Bulldogs Thread:
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
pt. 4

Q: Even the Canadian contingent is there. There was Benoit and Jericho last night [Thursday Thunder]. It was nice to see.
A: Yeah, I was just traveling with Chris [Benoit] last week. We drove because I had not seen Chris in a few years. It was nice to travel with him again and talk to him. WCW's expanded so much. When I was there, it was go to the Centre Stage [where WCW used to tape] and try to give tickets away to people to get them to come into the arena. Things like that. We couldn't even fill that. Now it's like, this is really weird, you know. It's just packed. These big arenas, and you go backstage and you've got all the talent people and agents. It's almost like the WWF, the way it was in the early 80s. That's what I see WCW as -- what wrestling used to be like in the early 80s. And Hogan was nice to me. And Savage was nice to me. Everyone was nice to me.

Q: In your past WCW tenure, you shared a main event with Sting. What are your memories of that, and where do you see yourself fitting in to WCW? [Meladdin1]
A: I have good memories of tagging with Sting. We laughed about some of the things, some of the Clashes, some of the photo shoots we did in England. Where you had the guy blow up the boat, and I saved Sting. It was a kind of mini-movie thing. We just laughed at how horrible it was. It was a mistake. He asked, 'you remember when we did this?' And I said 'yeah. That was the worst thing I ever did.' 'Yeah, that was the worst thing I did too.' We just laughed about it.

Q: Do you see yourself on par with Sting, who is by far the biggest thing they have going at the moment? Where do you fit in the scheme of things?
A: I think I'll slowly but surely fit in somewhere. I don't know where right now. I talked to Bret the beginning of this week, he said he was in Boston tomorrow night [January 31] then they're taking him off TV for three or four weeks. I don't know if they don't know what to do with him, or if they're planning something big or what. There's so many guys right now in WCW that are under contract that they don't know what to do with them. So I'm just sitting back waiting for my opportunity, my chance to get in there and do something. I don't want to rush into it.

Q: Do you think there's too many people in WCW?
A: There is a lot of guys, but I think there's enough guys that they could run, if they wanted to, two or three shows a night in different cities. You could have Sting in one place in the main event, Bret in another place and event.

Q: But if you all have contracts that say you can only wrestle 150 to 200 dates, doesn't that make the planning a lot harder?
A: I don't really know. That's a hard one. I'm not the one that's planning it. They're the ones that are planning it. If they want me to wrestle more than that, then I guess I'll wrestle more than that. They came up with the number of days, I didn't. If they want me to wrestle three or four times a week, I'll do it. I'm used to it. It's not going to turn me off any. But again, it's a lot easier than WWF. It's a lot easier on my body. I'm not taking all these bangs, getting hit by chairs, being physically damaged. I think being in the WCW, you can look at it and go, this schedule I'm doing, I could do this for another ten years. Whereas in the WWF, you go, the schedule I'm doing here, I could get hurt tomorrow night. You just don't know.

Q: I've got a question that leads well from that. If you were to retire tomorrow, who would you like your last match to be against? [Dr. Placid Lasrado]
A: I would say Bret. I could say Hogan, because I've never wrestled Hogan. I'd love to go over to Europe and wrestle Hogan.

Q: Interesting answer. I hadn't considered that you'd never wrestled Hogan.
A: No, I've never, never wrestled him. If he was the world's champion, I like to go over to England. Bulldog Vs Hollywood Hulk Hogan. People have never seen that. I'd be interesting to see.

Q: The next bunch of questions deal with the past. When did you first start wrestling pro? [Rob Taylor, Niagara Falls, ON]
A: I started when I was 15. I started training when I was 12, and turned pro when I was 15. So I've been around for a number of years.

Q: Who trained you?
A: Ted Betley.

Q: Obvious question here. Do you still keep in touch with the Dynamite Kid? [Caetano Pereira]
A: I haven't spoken to him in a number of years.

Q: Do you know his status? What's going on with him these days?
A: He has a job in England. Just a regular job. His back's bad. My Mom sees him more than I do. His Mom and my Mom live practically next door to each other. He's just got a regular job.

Q: So we'll probably never see him in the wrestling ring again? [Caetano Pereira]
A: He went to Japan a couple months ago, last month, or something like that. And he broke his foot, or something like that. That's what I was told. I don't know how true that is. That's what my Mom said. That's the first I'd heard of it.

Q: How as your childhood growing up? Any bullies or family problems or were you fairly normal? [Bean62]
A: Normal. No bullies. Never really had a problem in the dressing room, with any of the wrestlers. I'm a pretty happy, go-lucky guy. I don't look for trouble. I don't want trouble.

Q: In the past, you never really got much shot at the WWF World Title, despite being a main eventer. Do you regret that, or is that something that you thought would have eventually happened? [creasy]
A: I thought that it eventually would have happened. When Bret had the belt, I worked with him a few times overseas and in the States. We always had good matches. Yeah, I regret not having title matches.

Q: Bret, in his interview with us, called his match against you at Wembley the best match he ever did. What are your thoughts on that match?
A: That was the best match I ever had.

Q: What are your favorite memories from Stampede? [Chris Brady]
A: Oh, god. Stampede wrestling was probably some of the happiest days of my life. Really. We did lots of driving no matter what the weather conditions were like. Twelve guys in a van and just set off to Vancouver or Regina every Tuesday or Lethbridge. There were funny jokes played on all of the wrestlers. I was living with Bret at the time. I used to live with Bret in a little house in Calgary. I was going out with Diana. I was just really happy. It was a really good territory to be in. It was really booming at that time. In the early eighties, no matter where you went, Edmonton or Lethbridge, Red Deer or Calgary, it was sold out no matter what. I was just glad that they gave me the opportunity to come over and wrestle for them.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
pt. 5  

Q: What are your thoughts on Bruce Hart's attempts to be the area started again?
A: I think it's good that he gets something going. He's really bored with his time and his brother Ross's. When they can be doing something. They've got some investors and they're trying to get wrestling established in Calgary once again because WWF comes once or twice a year. I don't think WCW has ever been here. There's a lot of fans out there who want to watch wrestling. They'll want to come down to see it. It's just a matter of Bruce and Ross getting the right talent to come down at wrestle for them. We've heard that they've already got TV time and Ed Whalen's going to be doing commentary again. I heard it's going to be just like the old Stampede wrestling days. That's what they're aiming for anyways. It's always good when you've got competition out there, I always say.

Q: This may be a simple one to answer. Was the sexual harassment accusation of Shawn Michaels by Diana legitimate or just another attempt by the WWF to get ratings? [JEFF]
A: It was just an attempt by the WWF to get ratings.

Q: Your feelings on that?
A: I didn't mind it at first. I'm working the main event, and this and that. But it was Jim Cornette's idea, and Bruce Pritchard's. They took it one step, and then tried to take it one further and I just put the brakes on it and said no. You've got to stop doing this now. You're not dealing with someone out of the crowd now, you're dealing with my wife. I'm not standing for it. There was the thing with Brian Pillman. You know, he's passed away, just leave him alone. Don't have his wife and family on TV and keep plugging it on TV. They'll do anything for ratings. It's unbelievable.

Q: What are your thoughts on Brian's passing away?
A: I was really sad because I was traveling with Brian. He roomed with me, we drove together. I was supposed to meet him that same day. I flew in to Minneapolis and saw Bret and Owen and Jim Neidhart at the airport in Minneapolis and they were going to the show in Minneapolis. I'd just come off a knee injury again and Owen said 'come to the arena and chat with the boys.' And I said that I didn't want to go, but everyone was trying to get me to go to the arena. I said I was going to go to St. Louis, check in, and get a good night's sleep. Get ready for the pay-per-view. I've got to meet Brian there. I got to the hotel and asked if he had checked in. They said, no he's not checked in. I thought, that's real weird, he's not checked in. The next day, about 4 o'clock that afternoon, that's when I found out. I just couldn't believe it.

Q: Who was a tougher opponent, Bret or Owen and why? [TheLouje]
A: That's really hard. Bret's a good technical wrestler, one of the best. Owen's a good technical wrestler. Owen's a little sneakier than Bret, more mischievous than Bret. I would say Bret's tougher. Just when you think you've got him beat, he turns your move. It's like playing a game of chess. You get so frustrated with Bret. Another great match was with Owen in Germany for the European title. Thirty-five minutes of non-stop, packed action. That's what I'm known for. That's what I do. That's what I do best. That's all I've done for 20 years. And for someone to turn around and say to me, we don't want you to wrestle like that anymore, we want to go this way, that's like ... I don't want to do that.

Q: On the topic of the European title, what are your thoughts on it being defended almost exclusively in the U.S.? It's not a European title anymore.
A: No it's not. When they took it off me, it didn't mean anything. Then the way Hunter won it ... When you had seen Owen and I go at it for 30 minutes in Germany, giving a non-stop wrestling action match. Then to see Shawn and Hunter lock-up, and hit the ropes and splashing, and covering. It's like ahhhh ... After the match I had with Shawn in Birmingham, it just degraded the belt like poof. It doesn't mean anything. Like the tag team belts don't mean anything any more in the WWF. It's switched back and forth so many times it doesn't mean a thing.

Q: What has been your most memorable moment in your career? [Dr. Placid Lasrado]
A: I would say, again, Wembley Stadium. That was the biggest of events. My most nervous event. I'd come back from staph infection of my knee. Not wrestling for six weeks, and then going into the ring with Bret for 40-45 minutes in front of 83,000 people. Wow. Having Lennox Lewis carry my flag out to the ring.

Q: He's Canadian too.
A: Yeah, I know.

Q: He's from Kitchener [Ontario], where I grew up. One of the heroes around town.
A: It's weird, I think he tries to have a London accent.

Q: It think that's the word - tries.
A: It think that was his downfall. They tried to put him over in England. When he stepped into the ring with me in Wembley Stadium, he couldn't believe it. He was just totally shocked. He just couldn't believe a wrestling could pull in as many people as we did. He tried to do the same thing with Frank Bruno where he did that thing in Cardiff, or somewhere like that, in the outdoor arena. He wasn't the same. He tried to it. In England, he tried to portray himself almost as me, I think. With interviews, and commercials and things like that, drinking the tea. When they found out he was born and raised in Canada, it was like 'you're not really English.' These people are not stupid. You're either from there or you're not. When I went over there for the first time for the WWF, they quizzed me up and down. They swore blind that I wasn't British. It's like, where do you think I'm from? They thought I was acting like a Britishman. Newspapers came down to my house, and I had to take them to my house, to my school, introduce them to the people who taught me in school and everything to prove. Show them my passport, birth certificate and everything. Because if they found out you're not really from England ... His [Lewis'] parents are British, but he was born in Canada. They just bury you.

Q: That leads right into the last couple of questions. Can you ask Dave Smith about his time at Golborne Comprehensive School. This is from someone named Simon Swzandt.
A: [Laughs] Yeah, that's where I went to school!

Q: Yeah, he apparently knows that. So he asks what your days were like at school there? [Simon Swzandt]
A: They were good. I was still going to that school when I started wrestling. The headmaster had come up to me and said you've got to go home. Your Mom called. That's when the promoter called saying some wrestler's sick and you've got to be Brighton tonight. We're going to need you there. I was like, oh my god. So I had to leave school at noon that day. Then one day, on Saturday afternoon, they put me on TV with Big Daddy against Nick McManus and Steve Logan. That's when the whole country saw me on TV. I had my headmaster come up to me and say, 'that's what you're doing. You're wrestling on the side.'

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »
pt. 6

Q: So how did your life change from there? Were you recognized everywhere?
A: Oh yeah. All the kids at school -- 'we saw you on TV on Saturday's wrestling'. It brought me out in a new light, because I had kept it really secret. No one knew what I was doing, that I was training to be a wrestler. All of a sudden, I couldn't keep it a secret anymore because I was on World of Sport on ITV on a Saturday afternoon when everyone's watching it. It's like, 'young David from Golborne'. 'Oh my god, he's on TV! We didn't know he did that.'

Q: There's a question from the same guy. Do you still go to the Queen Anne? [Simon Swzandt]
A: Oh my god, this guy must live next door to me.

Q: What is the Queen Anne?
A: It's my local pub. When I go home, I go there every night.

Q: How often would you get home? [Simon Swzandt]
A: I like to get home as often as I can really. If I'd known I was going to be off this long, I'd have gone home for a week or two. But you never know when someone's going to call and say we need you right now. So I was kind of on hold. Then I got sick after my surgery. I got staph infection in both of my legs. Both my legs went completely black. That was pretty scary because no one knew what was wrong. I couldn't eat. I was just throwing up constantly. One of my nephews died from the same disease. So I went to one hospital and the doctor said get off anything you're taking, off antibiotics. You might be having a allergic reaction. So I did and I got even sicker. So my brother-in-law came over, he saw my legs. This is the same guy who's son died. [Editor's note: Matthew, the son of Georgia Hart and B.J. Annis died in July 1996] He took me to the same doctor that took care of his son. He said to me that I've got a staph infection in both of your legs. You've got to get on antibiotics right away. So as soon as I started taking them, then I got better. It was pretty scary, especially after going through a surgery and being so healthy. And I was under a lot of stress too. I think that's what caused the too, a lot of stress. This crap with Vince. Fining me $150,000, things like that. Going through a lot mental stress. Not knowing what I was going to do next, not knowing where I was going to be. My wife was under a lot of stress because everything was so tense.

Q: Got two more questions here. Who was your favorite tag team partner? [Kathy Elsi]
A: The Dynamite Kid.

Q: What ever happened to Matilda? [Roger Brown]
A: She passed away a couple of years ago.

Q: Now who's dog was that?
A: That was my dog.

Q: Would you like to say any final things to your fans?
A: Just keep watching The British Bulldog. I'll get my break in the WCW. I'll bring wrestling back to TV where it should be [in Britain], not some freak show.

Q: Thanks for your time.
A: You're welcome.

source: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBritishBulldog/bulldog_interview.html

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
Bulldog on the shelf
December 2, 1998

By GREG OLIVER -- SLAM! Wrestling  
Davey Boy Smith wants to set the record straight.

He's still employed by WCW, but is off on disability with full insurance coverage, but at only a third of his pay.

"My back's screwed up pretty bad," said the British Bulldog from his Calgary home. The cold weather "really screws" with his back and he is getting sick of needles. His wife, Diana, takes care of him.

The British Bulldog was injured in a match against Alex Wright and Disco Inferno when he was slammed onto the elevated trap door in the WCW ring set up for Ultimate Warrior appearances. Smith said that he didn't even know the trap door was there until he was dropped onto it.

Contrary to internet scuttlebut, he isn't bound for the WWF.
"I've not been in contact with them at all," he said.
And when asked if he was going to be the Blue Blazer, he laughed hard.

He's happy with the work schedule with WCW -- "I'm getting more money with WCW, working four or five days a month ... it's simple mathematics" but not with everything in the company.

The cut in pay while on injury leave upsets him as does the release of brother-in-law Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart.
"I don't know why [they let Neidhart go]," he said, then reconsidered. "Well, I know why, but they weren't big reasons."

A few missed shows were part of the problem, but the Bulldog knows that Neidhart's career was hitched to his own, and with him on the shelf, there wasn't much incentive to keep The Anvil.

The British Bulldog Workout video appears poised to finally hit the shelves soon, after being in the can for over a year.
He approached WCW President Eric Bischoff about marketing and selling the tape, but that didn't pan out. Now, it appears that Blockbuster Entertainment will get the tape to market.

The bad back is preventing the him from working out in the gym, and that too is frustrating the fitness fanatic.
"That's what has been pissing me off too," he said. Doctors speculate that it could be anywhere from four to six months before he can resume an active lifestyle.

Davey Boy Smith knows that there is a possibility that his wrestling career may be over, but isn't ready to give in yet, even if it means facing more doctors with more needles.

He will likely get involved with the Cambridge, Ontario-based ICW as an investor, but not as a wrestler. A chain of gyms has also been talked about.

source: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingArchive/dec3_bulldog.html

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
Bulldog on the shelf
December 2, 1998

By GREG OLIVER -- SLAM! Wrestling  
Davey Boy Smith wants to set the record straight.

He's still employed by WCW, but is off on disability with full insurance coverage, but at only a third of his pay.

"My back's screwed up pretty bad," said the British Bulldog from his Calgary home. The cold weather "really screws" with his back and he is getting sick of needles. His wife, Diana, takes care of him.

The British Bulldog was injured in a match against Alex Wright and Disco Infernowhen he was slammed onto the elevated trap door in the WCW ring set up for Ultimate Warrior appearances. Smith said that he didn't even know the trap door was there until he was dropped onto it.

Contrary to internet scuttlebut, he isn't bound for the WWF.
"I've not been in contact with them at all," he said.
And when asked if he was going to be the Blue Blazer, he laughed hard.

He's happy with the work schedule with WCW -- "I'm getting more money with WCW, working four or five days a month ... it's simple mathematics" but not with everything in the company.

The cut in pay while on injury leave upsets him as does the release of brother-in-law Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart.
"I don't know why [they let Neidhart go]," he said, then reconsidered. "Well, I know why, but they weren't big reasons."

A few missed shows were part of the problem, but the Bulldog knows that Neidhart's career was hitched to his own, and with him on the shelf, there wasn't much incentive to keep The Anvil.

The British Bulldog Workout video appears poised to finally hit the shelves soon, after being in the can for over a year.
He approached WCW President Eric Bischoff about marketing and selling the tape, but that didn't pan out. Now, it appears that Blockbuster Entertainment will get the tape to market.

The bad back is preventing the him from working out in the gym, and that too is frustrating the fitness fanatic.
"That's what has been pissing me off too," he said. Doctors speculate that it could be anywhere from four to six months before he can resume an active lifestyle.

Davey Boy Smith knows that there is a possibility that his wrestling career may be over, but isn't ready to give in yet, even if it means facing more doctors with more needles.

He will likely get involved with the Cambridge, Ontario-based ICW as an investor, but not as a wrestler. A chain of gyms has also been talked about.

source: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingArchive/dec3_bulldog.html
A guy with talent like the bulldogs wrestling these idiots.....wow....way to go WCW creative suit and ties.....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Let me know if you get anymore info in Dynamite Kid too.

Do you want current news or archival stuff?

He keeps a pretty low profile these days.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2011, 06:26:11 AM »

Do you want current news or archival stuff?

He keeps a pretty low profile these days.
Sorry for the delayed reply...I just read all the Davey Boy Smith Q/A stuff. Very interesting. Do they have the same sort of thing for Dynamite? Also, I read in the above interview with Davey that Billington had a job in England. What could he be possibly doing if he's in a wheelchair?

Very good find on that Davey stuff, Monty.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2011, 06:54:35 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply...I just read all the Davey Boy Smith Q/A stuff. Very interesting. Do they have the same sort of thing for Dynamite? Also, I read in the above interview with Davey that Billington had a job in England. What could he be possibly doing if he's in a wheelchair?

Very good find on that Davey stuff, Monty.  :)

I'll do some digging later on today, but I've got a lot more I can post on Davey.

The last I'd heard, Dyno was working on former wrestler John Naylor's farm.
Now, that was more than 10 years ago, and I'm not even sure what the extent of that "work" encompassed.

Being a UK born citizen and living there now, I would imagine he's able to collect some type of disability compensation, or possibly does/can do some type of job(s) through their DPW...I don't know if that's contingent on settling prior tax debts, nor do I know if Billington owed or settled any UK tax debts.
I believe Bret claimed Tom owed a ton of Canadian back taxes before leaving in the early 90's, but I don't know whatever became of that, either.

I should call him up later and ask!
 ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »

I'll do some digging later on today, but I've got a lot more I can post on Davey.

The last I'd heard, Dyno was working on former wrestler John Naylor's farm.
Now, that was more than 10 years ago, and I'm not even sure what the extent of that "work" encompassed.

Being a UK born citizen and living there now, I would imagine he's able to collect some type of disability compensation, or possibly does/can do some type of job(s) through their DPW...I don't know if that's contingent on settling prior tax debts, nor do I know if Billington owed or settled any UK tax debts.
I believe Bret claimed Tom owed a ton of Canadian back taxes before leaving in the early 90's, but I don't know whatever became of that, either.

I should call him up later and ask!
 ;D
Very very interesting stuff.

Taxes are a whore anywhere in the world. Everytime I get my pay stub at work and I examine it, I cringe at what they take off.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
Davey Boy feared he was dying
March 24, 1999

By ERIC FRANCIS -- Calgary Sun

In the midst of a year full of personal tragedies, Calgary wrestler Davey Boy Smith was convinced he'd finally met an opponent he couldn't beat -- cancer.

Dealing with undiagnosed back and abdominal pain that put a hold on his wrestling career and caused him to lose 40 lb., the British Bulldog figured he was about to meet the same fate as his younger sister and mother did a few months earlier.

"I thought my life was over and I was going to die," said Smith, 36, whose sister Tracy lost a battle with cancer Nov. 7, just 12 weeks before the disease claimed his mother.
"I was a nervous wreck," he said.

"After seeing several specialists who weren't able to figure out what was causing the pain, they thought maybe it was a cancerous tumour.
"Knowing the history of cancer in my family, I thought I had cancer of the stomach."

With his head spinning, Smith spent four agonizing days awaiting the test results which would heavily impact the rest of his life.
"I kept thinking about my mom and sister and what they went through," said Smith, whose chiropractor started the battery of tests that ultimately determined his ailments weren't cancerous growths.

"I'm still in pain and they still don't know what's wrong with my back, but I'm just glad it's not what I thought it was."

Following a powerslam on a steel trap door that injured his back and knocked him from the World Championship Wrestling circuit six months ago, doctors have finally narrowed down the root of his pain.

"It's either two discs in my upper back that are smashed against the nerve, or it's an infection," said Smith, whose horrible year was made worse when his 13-year-old son, aspiring young wrestler Harry, had a steel plate inserted in his right arm to repair a broken humerus.

"If it's an infection they can give me antibiotics.
"If it's smashed discs, they'll want to operate which I won't let them do."

Despite the fact Smith compares his excruciating back pain to being stabbed with a knife, he vows to return to the ring.
The 240 lb. Smith has regained 20 lb. and wants to dispel any notion that he has retired.

He still has plans to return to the WCW, where he hopes to wrestle alongside brother-in-law and former partner Bret Hart.
"It's been a really bad year, but I'll be back -- hopefully at the end of April," said Smith who credits his wife, Diana, a former Mrs. Calgary, for helping him through it all.

"I can't stay out another six or eight months. It'll drive me crazy," he said.
"I'm going to come back bigger and better than ever."

Smith was hoping to make his return to the ring April 2 at the Stampede Pavilion when his brother-in-laws Bruce and Ross re-introduce Stampede Wrestling to the city.
However, doctors won't allow it, forcing him to settle for a role as one of the event's TV commentators.

source: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBritishBulldog/bulldog_99mar24.html

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2011, 04:42:15 AM »
Wrestlezone.com contributor Ken Napzok wrote & submitted this rather touching tribute to Davey Boy Smith on the anniversary of his passing:

The British Bulldog

On May 18th, 2002, the pro wrestling world lost Davey Boy Smith. His family, of course, lost way more than we can measure. Hard to believe it’s been nine years. While Rowdy Roddy Piper, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart were, and remain some of my all-time favorites, a special place in my book always remains for Davey Boy Smith.

I always loved Piper, but my true appreciation of the Hot Rod came a little later on when I got older and began to soak in the performance side of the sport. I rooted for Michaels from the very moment he put Marty Jannetty’s face through the Barbershop’s gimmicked window, but before that I honestly had trouble remembering which Rocker was which. And while I screamed at Vince through my TV set with Bret was screwed in Montreal, the big confession was I didn’t think he would make it on his own when The Hart Foundation broke up. Before they became my favorites, I was a little kid who proudly called “The British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith my favorite wrestler.

It was my early obsession with The Beatles and childhood interest in England that first lead me to the Union Jack-sporting British Bulldogs circa 1986, but it was the dazzling moves of Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith that kept my interest. At the time, they stood apart in the clothesline and legdrop landscape of professional wrestling. They were dazzling and different. Fast beyond comprehension. When The Islanders stole Matilda, I was furious... and therefore hooked on wrestling.

The Bulldogs disappeared. (Remember this was pre-Internet. I had no idea Dynamite Kid has backstage heat with the Rougeaus or that they were back in Stampede Wrestling as well as tearing up Japan.) So did my weekly routine of watching wrestling. I was growing up, entering Junior High, and discovering “adult” things like baseball and science homework. Wrestling looked to be a thing of my past. Then, one fateful day, a good friend of mine named Gavin told me that this new guy had shown up in the WWF. His name was The British Bulldog. Just like that I was back on my living room floor the following Saturday watching WWF Superstars. I had to see if this “new” guy had anything to do with my old favorites. I was overjoyed when “Rule, Britannia” hit and out came Davey Boy Smith. He was bigger than I remembered, and I remained innocently and blissfully unaware as to why. He had long dreds now, no mascot, and the announcers rarely called him Davey Boy. But it was the same guy I had rooted for.

For a short time in 1992, it could be argued that Davey Boy Smith was the most over face in the WWE and 80,000 plus in attendance at Wembley Stadium for SummerSlam ‘92 would agree. That card’s Bret Hart versus Bulldog main event remains my personal all-time favorite. I was prepared for a long Intercontinental Title reign, but it wasn’t to be. He dropped the belt Shawn Michaels by November and was soon gone for reasons I didn’t know at the time. Sometimes I wish I never did find out.

I tried watching him in WCW, but he was playing volleyball with Sting and pirate midgets were blowing up their speedboats. Then I had to endure The Bulldog standing next to someone called The Shockmaster and I turned off my TV, never really watching WCW again.

To my utter most excitement Davey Boy returned to the WWF at the 1994 SummerSlam as part of the Bret versus Owen family feud. By then my appreciation and support for other wrestlers had grown and Davey Boy was just “one” of my favorites. But it was a great time to be a card carrying member of the Bulldog Fanclub. His 1994-1997 run was probably his most successful period with many great moments, title runs, and main event spots. I missed most of the Attitude Era, which means I missed the tragic end. I heard about Davey Boy’s death through a news clip. While I can never, ever feel the loss of Davey Boy with the great weight felt by family and friends, his death struck a particularly painful chord in me as it was a chord directly tied to my childhood. When I think of Davey Boy Smith, I think of watching wrestling with wide eyed innocence and wonder.

When you look back to the 1980’s and the explosion of pro wrestling, there are bigger names and personalities than Davey Boy that jump out at you. Most of these names get the “influential” status and rightfully so. It would be a gross oversight, though, to not include Davey Boy Smith in that category. He was a key part of a new style of wrestling that paved the way for the awe inspiring moves and moments of the present day. God Save the Queen and may God forever bless Davey Boy Smith.

credit: http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/article/the-british-bulldog-over-the-pay-per-view-limit-more-130091

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2011, 06:25:27 AM »
These are really good articles. Nice find.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
These are really good articles. Nice find.  :)

Thank you.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Spinal infection sidelines Davey Boy
April 2, 1999

Calgary wrestler Davey Boy Smith has been hospitalized in a fight against an undiagnosed spinal infection doctors say will inflict intense pain on his body.

Smith was admitted to the Rockyview Wednesday after tests determined a lump on his back was a bone infection requiring aggressive antibiotics and rest.

"Although it feels like there's a Rambo knife in my back, they tell me I haven't even started feeling the real pain yet -- it's not something I'm looking forward to," said a sedated Smith, 36, with his wife Diana by his side.

"The infection is going through my body right now and the doctor told me I'm in for the long haul. I'm scared because if this infection gets into my spinal column, well, the doctors said they didn't even want to talk about what that would mean."

Smith's family physician, Dr. Ronald Lim, suspects Smith is suffering from a staph infection in his spine, although test results aren't in yet. Lim says the infection isn't life-threatening but could keep him in hospital for at least six weeks.

"He'll feel a lot of pain -- I don't doubt that," said Lim.

"The worst is definitely not yet over but he's getting the proper treatment."

Smith saw two other specialists yesterday who determined his initial antibiotic treatment wasn't working and increased its strength.

"Right now I don't know about surgery -- we'll have to wait and see his response and won't know for a couple of weeks," said Lim.

"It's too early to say if it could threaten his career, but it's safe to say he'll be out four months at the very least."

Smith, known worldwide as the British Bulldog, was sidelined from the World Championship Wrestling circuit following a powerslam on a steel trap door that injured his back six months ago.

Smith's hopes of returning to the ring as early as next month came crashing down Wednesday when his thoughts turned to simply being able to walk.

"Everything has been put on hold with this," said Smith, who hoped to be a commentator at tonight's return of Stampede Wrestling at the Pavilion.

"This is pretty bad but I'm trying not to think about it. I'm scared."

Several months after losing his sister and mother to cancer, Smith got a similar scare recently when doctors ran tests to see if his back pains were linked to the deadly disease. It was determined at that point his ailment was either two crushed discs or an infection.

However, Tuesday night his daughter noticed a large lump on his back that caused his body to seize up.

Doctors have Smith on severe painkillers and antibiotics with hopes of avoiding surgery to remove portions of the infection.

Smith has a history of staph infections, including one that threatened to have his leg amputated in 1992.

Surgery cleared that up and was also needed for a knee injury he suffered just over a year ago breaking up a fist fight between Bret Hart and World Wrestling Federation president Vince McMahon. A year ago he had an infection in his hand that also required surgery.

credit: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBritishBulldog/bulldog_99apr2.html

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
Davey Boy taking fight to court British Bulldog primed to fight WCW axing with a lawsuit
April 11, 1999

Davey Boy Smith knows all about getting kicked when he's down. After all, he's a professional wrestler.

But despite the fact he's lying in a local hospital awaiting possible back surgery, the British Bulldog isn't about to submit to his latest opponent.

Out of the wrestling loop since September with a back injury suffered in the ring, Smith received written notice this week his contract has been terminated by World Championship Wrestling. Incensed by the decision, and the impersonal way it was delivered, Smith said he's going to sue his former employer.

"It's a crock of (bleep)," said Smith, suffering from an undiagnosed and painful bone infection in his back.

"I'm shocked. I hurt myself in their ring because of their (negligence) and they do this? They put me in an unsafe environment and that's why I'm here."

Smith was sidelined in September when a WCW opponent power slammed him on a hidden trap door beneath the ring he wasn't told about. Doctors told him Friday they might have to replace 4 ins. of his fractured spine with titanium, which would end definitely his wrestling career.

Ironically, earlier this week, Smith's brother-in-law, Bret (Hitman) Hart, was also in Rockyview Hospital for groin surgery. And a couple floors below him was Bret's sister, Ellie, who is married to Jim Neidhart.

credit: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingArchive/apr11_bull.html

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:48 AM »
Davey Boy taking fight to court British Bulldog primed to fight WCW axing with a lawsuit
April 11, 1999

Davey Boy Smith knows all about getting kicked when he's down. After all, he's a professional wrestler.

But despite the fact he's lying in a local hospital awaiting possible back surgery, the British Bulldog isn't about to submit to his latest opponent.

Out of the wrestling loop since September with a back injury suffered in the ring, Smith received written notice this week his contract has been terminated by World Championship Wrestling. Incensed by the decision, and the impersonal way it was delivered, Smith said he's going to sue his former employer.

"It's a crock of (bleep)," said Smith, suffering from an undiagnosed and painful bone infection in his back.

"I'm shocked. I hurt myself in their ring because of their (negligence) and they do this? They put me in an unsafe environment and that's why I'm here."

Smith was sidelined in September when a WCW opponent power slammed him on a hidden trap door beneath the ring he wasn't told about. Doctors told him Friday they might have to replace 4 ins. of his fractured spine with titanium, which would end definitely his wrestling career.

Ironically, earlier this week, Smith's brother-in-law, Bret (Hitman) Hart, was also in Rockyview Hospital for groin surgery. And a couple floors below him was Bret's sister, Ellie, who is married to Jim Neidhart.

credit: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingArchive/apr11_bull.html
That trap door incident shouldn't have even happened. A trap door in the ring....gimmie a break. They had to know that someone was prone to get hurt via taking bumps in the ring. Can you imagine getting suplex or slammed on a steel hinge?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2011, 06:25:27 AM »
That trap door incident shouldn't have even happened. A trap door in the ring....gimmie a break. They had to know that someone was prone to get hurt via taking bumps in the ring. Can you imagine getting suplex or slammed on a steel hinge?

That's because a trap door was the ONLY way a bum like Hellwig could get over.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »

That's because a trap door was the ONLY way a bum like Hellwig could get over.
;D  ;D  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2011, 06:29:44 AM »
;D  ;D  ;D

When trying to get over a guy who can't work, these are the kinds of ridiculous things you must do.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2011, 06:35:15 AM »

When trying to get over a guy who can't work, these are the kinds of ridiculous things you must do.
You mean like puking all over Gene Okerlund alla PapaShango curse?  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2011, 06:46:59 AM »
You mean like puking all over Gene Okerlund alla PapaShango curse?  ;D

ROFLMFAO!!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2011, 07:21:02 AM »

ROFLMFAO!!!
Or Warrior getting buried alive by Jake Roberts?  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »
Davey Boy overwhelmed by support
April 16, 1999

By MATT BURNS -- Stampede Wrestling

Let me start this update with the following: WOW!

The enormous support for Davey Boy continues to pour in, with an average of 1500 messages being received every 2 days! I am buried in e-mails but I want to assure everyone that they ARE being delivered to Davey on a regular basis. Due to the enormous volume it is simply impossible for him to reply to the mails, however you are all brightening his days with your warm wishes.

I just returned from visiting Davey in the hospital and have attached a couple of pictures I snapped while visiting. When I arrived, the room was already quite full with family members, namely Davey's wife Diana, Stu & Helen Hart, Ellie Neidhart, and BJ Annis (Georgia Hart's husband). The family is behind Davey 100% and are doing what they can to keep up his spirits. Oh, did I mention THE DOGS? That's right, somehow Davey's two dogs MaryLegs and Dainty were smuggled in for a visit. The first photo shows Davey with Diana, MaryLegs and Dainty. For the record, Mary is sitting on the batch of e-mails I delivered on this visit! The second shows Davey with, of course, the Legendary Stu Hart. The strange-looking apparatus on Davey's midsection is a custom-fit brace that stretches from his waist to his neck. Between the family and the stacks of high-tech medical gizmos around his bed, the room gets awful small very quickly!

His treatments are extremely painful and wear him right down, however his spirits are up and he remains optimistic in this time of uncertainty. It is still unknown when he might be released from the hospital. He asked me to pass on a big hello to all his fans around the world and to thank you all very much for rallying behind him while he has been ill.

Further updates on Davey's condition will follow as they happen.

That's it for this edition, which is dedicated solely to the update of Davey Boy's condition. I will have another edition of the Mailing List in the next couple of days with updates regarding Stampede Wrestling show dates and information on the cards. Note that there has been a show update on the main page of the website, cards to follow shortly. Also, there are some rumblings about an Edmonton show next month...nothing official at this time, however the Mailing List readers will be the first to know!

Remember, if you know of someone who may be interested in joining our Mailing List, they can send a msg with their E-mail address in the subject line to mailinglist@stampedewrestling.com to join.

So in the meantime and in between time, that's it, another edition of the Mailing List.

credit: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBritishBulldog/bulldog_99apr16.html

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2011, 08:23:34 AM »
Nice article!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »
Nice article!

Thanks.
What's interesting is you can often follow along, correlating the events in these articles to the chronology of Bret's book.
For instance, the article mentions Davey's back surgery, but from Bret, we know that it was during this time, also, that Diana was fooling around behind Davey's back while he was in the hospital recovering from surgery AND going through detox.

Bret ran into Austin backstage at a WWF show & saw him fraternizing with Diana - who'd recently dyed her hair dark - and he mentioned what a lousy thing that was to do with Davey in the shape he was in.