Author Topic: Police Union condemns Obama over "stupid" comments.  (Read 19441 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Police Union condemns Obama over "stupid" comments.
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Police union condemns Obama's 'stupidly' comments 
By Sam Youngman 

Posted: 07/23/09 01:58 PM [ET] 

President Obama's Wednesday night criticism of Cambridge, Mass., police has drawn a rebuke from the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP).

The criticism comes after Obama said Cambridge police officers acted "stupidly" when they arrested Henry Louis Gates, a friend of the president, for breaking and entering into his own home. The president said it highlights ongoing problems with race relations in the U.S.

Jim Pascoe, executive director of the FOP's legislative office, noted that before Obama made the remarks, the president acknowledged that he was only vaguely familiar with what happened.

"That being the case, it's unfortunate that he chose to say anything," Pascoe said. "He wasn't there, and he doesn't know what happened."

Pascoe said it appears that Gates was the "provocateur" because he called Officer James Crowley a racist instead of producing identification as requested.

On Thursday, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs sought to walk back the president's comments.

"Let me be clear. He was not calling the officer stupid, OK?" Gibbs told reporters on Air Force One. "He was denoting that . . . at a certain point the situation got far out of hand, and I think all sides understand that." 
________________________ ________________________ _______________

The wheels are falling off the wagon of this admn even faster than I imagined. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Police Union condemns Obama over "stupid" comments.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:21:24 AM »
I actually agree with Obama on this one.  You don't arrest someone at their own home after they established that it is their home.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
I agree with the officers on this one.  The acted appropriately.  Gates could have easily cooperated and shown his ID instead of going on a tyrannical racist rant and not complying.  He should have been happy the neighbors were watching out for his house.  I'm not certain he needed to be arrested, as none of us were there, but certainly Gates was out of line and not cooperating with the officers. 
The president should have kept out of it.  Certainly was not his place to comment except that Gates is his friend.
CNN is all over this one pushing the race story.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »
I agree with the officers on this one.  The acted appropriately.  Gates could have easily cooperated and shown his ID instead of going on a tyrannical racist rant and not complying.  He should have been happy the neighbors were watching out for his house.  I'm not certain he needed to be arrested, as none of us were there, but certainly Gates was out of line and not cooperating with the officers. 
The president should have kept out of it.  Certainly was not his place to comment except that Gates is his friend.
CNN is all over this one pushing the race story.

How does Obama say that he did not know the facts of the case but that the cops acted "stupidly" in the same sentence?

And this is the brilliant Harvard Lawyer I am told I am supposed to follow and accept as a genius?

I have met black guys with no college degree  who are far smarter than this president.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »
"How does Obama say that he did not know the facts of the case but that the cops acted "stupidly" in the same sentence?"

Great point...good catch on that.

I'm all for protecting our rights against aggressive or cops on a power trip, but that doesn't sound like the case here.  Sounds like Gates was out of control.  He could have easily avoided the whole thing by cooperating in the first place.  I agree that some minorities get profiled but it also seems like they do not comply with the officer in many cases, which makes things escalate.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »
I actually agree with Obama on this one.  You don't arrest someone at their own home after they established that it is their home.   

Have you actually read the arrest report? Do you actually know what happened?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

Read the whole fucking thing and don't be a dumb-ass like Obama. A woman saw two black males w/ backpacks trying to "gain entry" into a home or as the report says shouldering the door. The police arrived, the cop spoke with the caller and then the rest is history. And there apparently were a bunch of gawkers outside watching  "Professor Race Baiter" go ballistic on the police for asking him to come outside and then having the gall to ask for an ID to confirm his identity. So there is plenty of documentation and statements. Pretty standard stuff.

Of course now he is getting a deal with PBS to do a "documentary" on his trials and being black and all the other race baiter's are out in force condeming the "rouge" ::) cop for his racist and duplicitous deeds. Apparently the officer is decorated and has a clean history.

I heard that he actually knows Pres. Obama as well, which makes him screaming "Do you know who I am" make a bit of sense.

They didn't know it was his residence....that's the reason why officers everywhere ask for ID. They have to be sure.

And when it comes down to it, like the poster said, Obama didn't know ANY of the facts.

And just so everyone can get a bit of calmness...."Professor RaceBaiter" will be on "BLACK IN AMERICA.......PART II" tonight for a special interview detailing his horrible victimization and humiliation by rouge/Nazi White Evil police officers....who asked him for his ID.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
Have you actually read the arrest report? Do you actually know what happened?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

Read the whole fucking thing and don't be a dumb-ass like Obama. A woman saw two black males w/ backpacks trying to "gain entry" into a home or as the report says shouldering the door. The police arrived, the cop spoke with the caller and then the rest is history. And there apparently were a bunch of gawkers outside watching  "Professor Race Baiter" go ballistic on the police for asking him to come outside and then having the gall to ask for an ID to confirm his identity. So there is plenty of documentation and statements. Pretty standard stuff.

Of course now he is getting a deal with PBS to do a "documentary" on his trials and being black and all the other race baiter's are out in force condeming the "rouge" ::) cop for his racist and duplicitous deeds. Apparently the officer is decorated and has a clean history.

I heard that he actually knows Pres. Obama as well, which makes him screaming "Do you know who I am" make a bit of sense.

They didn't know it was his residence....that's the reason why officers everywhere ask for ID. They have to be sure.

And when it comes down to it, like the poster said, Obama didn't know ANY of the facts.

And just so everyone can get a bit of calmness...."Professor RaceBaiter" will be on "BLACK IN AMERICA.......PART II" tonight for a special interview detailing his horrible victimization and humiliation by rouge/Nazi White Evil police officers....who asked him for his ID.

O.K.  I read the whole friggin thing.   :)  Doesn't change my opinion.  Gates overreacted.  So did the cop.  If you want to act a fool in your own house then you have the right to do that.  So what if he hurt the cop's feelings.  I'd have a completely different view if he approached the man in a public place, or really anywhere other than the man's home.

I'm a huge supporter of law enforcement, but you don't essentially pull a man out of his own home and arrest him because he insulted you or was talking too loudly for your liking.  That's an abuse of police power, which is probably why they quickly dropped the charges.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »
O.K.  I read the whole friggin thing.   :)  Doesn't change my opinion.  Gates overreacted.  So did the cop.  If you want to act a fool in your own house then you have the right to do that.  So what if he hurt the cop's feelings.  I'd have a completely different view if he approached the man in a public place, or really anywhere other than the man's home.

I'm a huge supporter of law enforcement, but you don't essentially pull a man out of his own home and arrest him because he insulted you or was talking too loudly for your liking.  That's an abuse of police power, which is probably why they quickly dropped the charges.     

Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert 

Jul 23 03:17 PM US/Eastern
By DENISE LAVOIE
Associated Press Writer Comments (191)      Share on Facebook         

Cop Who Arrested Harvard Prof Won’t Apologize

Harvard Professor: Arrest ‘Made Me Realize How Vulnerable All Black Men Are’

‘Police Acted Stupidly’: Obama Blasts Officers for Arrest of Friend at Cambridge Home

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - The white police sergeant criticized by President Barack Obama for arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his Massachusetts home is a police academy expert on racial profiling.
Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class on racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.

"I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The course, called "Racial Profiling," teaches about different cultures that officers could encounter in their community "and how you don't want to single people out because of their ethnic background or the culture they come from," Fleming said.

Obama has said the Cambridge officers "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates last week when they responded to his house after a woman reported a suspected break-in.

Crowley, 42, has maintained he did nothing wrong and has refused to apologize, as Gates has demanded.

Crowley responded to Gates' home near Harvard University last week to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded Gates show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused, flew into a rage and accused the officer of racism.

Gates was charged with disorderly conduct. The charge was dropped Tuesday.

Gates' supporters maintain his arrest was a case of racial profiling. Officers were called to the home by a woman who said she saw "two black males with backpacks" trying to break in the front door. Gates has said he arrived home from an overseas trip and the door was jammed.

Obama was asked about the arrest of Gates, who is his friend, at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night.

"I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And No. 3—what I think we know separate and apart from this incident—is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."

In radio interviews Thursday morning, Crowley maintained he followed procedure.

"I support the president of the United States 110 percent. I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts as he himself stated before he made that comment," Crowley told WBZ-AM. "I guess a friend of mine would support my position, too."

Crowley did not immediately respond to messages left Thursday by the AP. The Cambridge police department scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.

Gates has said he was "outraged" by the arrest. He said the white officer walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

"This isn't about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," Gates said.

He said the incident made him realize how vulnerable poor people and minorities are "to capricious forces like a rogue policeman, and this man clearly was a rogue policeman."

The president said federal officials need to continue working with local law enforcement "to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias."

Fellow officers, black and white, say Crowley is well-liked and respected on the force. Crowley was a campus police officer at Brandeis University in July 1993 when he administered CPR trying to save the life of former Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis. Lewis, who was black, collapsed and died during an off-season workout.

Gov. Deval Patrick, who is black, said he was troubled and upset over the incident. Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons, who also is black, has said she spoke with Gates and apologized on behalf of the city, and a statement from the city called the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate."

The mayor refused Thursday to comment on the president's remarks.

Police supporters charge that Gates, director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research, was responsible for his own arrest by overreacting.

Black students and professors at Harvard have complained for years about racial profiling by Cambridge and campus police. Harvard commissioned an independent committee last year to examine the university's race relations after campus police confronted a young black man who was using tools to remove a bike lock. The man worked at Harvard and owned the bike.

___

Associated Press writer Melissa Trujillo in Boston contributed to this report.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »

The lady thought it was a break in. The police simply asked the man to come outside and show them his ID. Because they have no way of knowing for sure if it is really him. Police always ask for ID, always. He refused, he became enraged and wouldn't follow instructions. If this idiot wasn't a friend of Obama's none of this shit would have happened. And I hope the Police Union protects these officers with guns blazing. This Professor was trying to instigate things and wasn't following instruction, he simply wasn't "hurting the officers feelings" And now look at all the TV time this idiot and all the other Race Bait Scholars are going to get.

And I think your down playing how loud and crazy this idiot was acting. They need to see his ID, they need to know that he is who he claims to be. Simple as that.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert 

Jul 23 03:17 PM US/Eastern
By DENISE LAVOIE
Associated Press Writer Comments (191)      Share on Facebook         

Cop Who Arrested Harvard Prof Won’t Apologize

Harvard Professor: Arrest ‘Made Me Realize How Vulnerable All Black Men Are’

‘Police Acted Stupidly’: Obama Blasts Officers for Arrest of Friend at Cambridge Home

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - The white police sergeant criticized by President Barack Obama for arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his Massachusetts home is a police academy expert on racial profiling.
Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class on racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.

"I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The course, called "Racial Profiling," teaches about different cultures that officers could encounter in their community "and how you don't want to single people out because of their ethnic background or the culture they come from," Fleming said.

Obama has said the Cambridge officers "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates last week when they responded to his house after a woman reported a suspected break-in.

Crowley, 42, has maintained he did nothing wrong and has refused to apologize, as Gates has demanded.

Crowley responded to Gates' home near Harvard University last week to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded Gates show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused, flew into a rage and accused the officer of racism.

Gates was charged with disorderly conduct. The charge was dropped Tuesday.

Gates' supporters maintain his arrest was a case of racial profiling. Officers were called to the home by a woman who said she saw "two black males with backpacks" trying to break in the front door. Gates has said he arrived home from an overseas trip and the door was jammed.

Obama was asked about the arrest of Gates, who is his friend, at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night.

"I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And No. 3—what I think we know separate and apart from this incident—is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."

In radio interviews Thursday morning, Crowley maintained he followed procedure.

"I support the president of the United States 110 percent. I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts as he himself stated before he made that comment," Crowley told WBZ-AM. "I guess a friend of mine would support my position, too."

Crowley did not immediately respond to messages left Thursday by the AP. The Cambridge police department scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.

Gates has said he was "outraged" by the arrest. He said the white officer walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

"This isn't about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," Gates said.

He said the incident made him realize how vulnerable poor people and minorities are "to capricious forces like a rogue policeman, and this man clearly was a rogue policeman."

The president said federal officials need to continue working with local law enforcement "to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias."

Fellow officers, black and white, say Crowley is well-liked and respected on the force. Crowley was a campus police officer at Brandeis University in July 1993 when he administered CPR trying to save the life of former Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis. Lewis, who was black, collapsed and died during an off-season workout.

Gov. Deval Patrick, who is black, said he was troubled and upset over the incident. Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons, who also is black, has said she spoke with Gates and apologized on behalf of the city, and a statement from the city called the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate."

The mayor refused Thursday to comment on the president's remarks.

Police supporters charge that Gates, director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research, was responsible for his own arrest by overreacting.

Black students and professors at Harvard have complained for years about racial profiling by Cambridge and campus police. Harvard commissioned an independent committee last year to examine the university's race relations after campus police confronted a young black man who was using tools to remove a bike lock. The man worked at Harvard and owned the bike.

___

Associated Press writer Melissa Trujillo in Boston contributed to this report.

Good find.

This Officer Crowley seems to have his shit together. But you know all of the Race Baiting Idiot's will be out in force trying to smear him and portray all police and white people as victimizers of blacks. It's already happening, I heard some Race Baiting Idiot on the radio today calling Officer Gates a "rouge" officer. These fools will now be trying to destroy Gates life and get him kicked off the force.

Obama is an idiot too. Talk about jumping the gun, this clown speaks on a situation he knows nothing about. I bet he heard that there were white cops arresting his black friend and already decided what happened. And for Professor Race Baiter to say this isn't about him..................... ..... ::) ::) ::) He is already on TV and on that idiotic CNN Black in America Program now.

What a fucking joke.

A fucking joke.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
The lady thought it was a break in. The police simply asked the man to come outside and show them his ID. Because they have no way of knowing for sure if it is really him. Police always ask for ID, always. He refused, he became enraged and wouldn't follow instructions. If this idiot wasn't a friend of Obama's none of this shit would have happened. And I hope the Police Union protects these officers with guns blazing. This Professor was trying to instigate things and wasn't following instruction, he simply wasn't "hurting the officers feelings" And now look at all the TV time this idiot and all the other Race Bait Scholars are going to get.

And I think your down playing how loud and crazy this idiot was acting. They need to see his ID, they need to know that he is who he claims to be. Simple as that.

I don't really care about the race issue and I'm not looking at it from that angle at all.  To me, this is about the sanctity of your home and the limits of police authority.  Let's assume the man was yelling very loudly (he probably was).  Let's assume he was being a total and complete jerk.  He was still in his own house.  He did show the cop two forms of ID, which verified that he was in his home.  That should have been the end.  Cop should have just got in his car and drove away.  Poor judgment on his part to arrest the guy.    

They've dropped the charges, the POTUS commented on it, the media was all over it.  It became a huge story when it shouldn't have been a story at all.  Now everyone needs to just let it go.    

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
Obama is stepping into quicksand by defending his remarks on this.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »
If you want to act a fool in your own house then you have the right to do that. 

Disagree.

You can't scream and call police names.  Ya just can't. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »
Disagree.

You can't scream and call police names.  Ya just can't. 

If you're on the street or a public place, no.  If you're in your own home, you can tell the cop to go screw himself if you're not breaking the law.  At least that's the way it should be.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 03:30:27 PM »

That would be fine if that were what he was arrested for, but even the police report acknowledges he provided ID.  He was arrested for exercising his right to free speech, however flamboyent that may have been.  He was arrested because the cop felt that the professor didn't have a right to verbally confront him.

I think Gates was out of line.  But arrested?  No way.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »
The police seemed in the right. They warned him on several occasions that he was becoming disorderly and then arrested him for just that. The officer said the gawkers and Univ. police looked concerned about his behavior and outbursts, so they cuffed, made sure he was comfortable, found his cane, secured his door and hauled him off.

The guy probably figured he was going to make a mint off of this and get in with the his buddy the President and get all over TV. He is probably right.

And he "eventually" provided them with ID, but it took the officer dealing with Gates lunacy and he had to enter the home. Keep in mind that by the way the caller reported it...the Officer had good reason to suspect that it was a home invasion.

We weren't there, all we did was read the report. But the officers didn't smash him with a club, taser him and spray him with mace right when they saw him. No, Crowley tried to reason, he warned Gates 2 times and then when his behavior got out of hand...he cuffed him.

I agree somewhat about ones home, but the situation didn't go just as planned...it happened as it happened and Gates got arrested.

Be prepared for The Race Bait Idiot Squad, which may or may not include Obama( har har), to come out and hammer cops and white people over this and place all of their problems on our heads.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »

You OK, Double B? :)

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

He produced the ID after Crowley had to verbally wrestle him for it. Again, the officer had reason to suspect a home invasion. He didn't just walk in, Gates showed his ID and then Crowley arrested him. Crowley warned him twice, showed him the cuffs and then arrested him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 03:48:23 PM »
You OK, Double B? :)

Dude just go ahead and agree with me.  I won't hold it against you.   :D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
:'(

To be fair to all engaged here, the situation wasn't cut and dry. It seems we all have some valid points. But it seems the media, Obama, Gates and The Race Bait Idiots are going to make it out to be like Rodney King and try to get some $$$ and political power, book sales and speaking engagement and fame out of this.

You're right, Beach, when you said this really isn't that big of an event. But it sure will turn into a circus.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
:'(

To be fair to all engaged here, the situation wasn't cut and dry. It seems we all have some valid points. But it seems the media, Obama, Gates and The Race Bait Idiots are going to make it out to be like Rodney King and try to get some $$$ and political power, book sales and speaking engagement and fame out of this.

You're right, Beach, when you said this really isn't that big of an event. But it sure will turn into a circus.

Man I can't get worked up over the race issue.  Like I said, I don't really care about the race angle.  This isn't Rodney King and shouldn't be.  It's about a cop who made a bad decision when dealing with a guy acting a fool (but doing so in his own house).  I think we agree that this whole situation should die a quick death.   

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

The "I would get shot" line was actually funny.

Aside from that, arresting a dude in his own house who is threatening no one is stupid.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »

agreed

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
agreed

They didn't just walk in the house, cuff him and drag him out.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
I don't really care about the race issue and I'm not looking at it from that angle at all.  To me, this is about the sanctity of your home and the limits of police authority.  Let's assume the man was yelling very loudly (he probably was).  Let's assume he was being a total and complete jerk.  He was still in his own house.  He did show the cop two forms of ID, which verified that he was in his home.  That should have been the end.  Cop should have just got in his car and drove away.  Poor judgment on his part to arrest the guy.    

They've dropped the charges, the POTUS commented on it, the media was all over it.  It became a huge story when it shouldn't have been a story at all.  Now everyone needs to just let it go.    

agreed again...keep up the good work