Author Topic: I need a program for running  (Read 3938 times)

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
Re: I need a program for running
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 12:48:08 AM »
I am trying to get in shape for MMA and have been working on my cardio big time but I just don't make progress running. I am losing fat pretty fast but I still cannot run for sh*t! Sprints are ok but nothing for distance. Idealy I would like to be able to run at least 4-5 miles without stopping at a rate of about 9mph (this would be 9.0 on the treadmill). That is my goal. Please somebody give me a good routine to get there asap. I am willing to work HARD to get there, but have no direction. Lifitng I am good at and dieting, but i have no clue how to run or what tactics to use.

Get used to running uphill. 15% incline is good... (work your way up to it if your not used to it) HIIT style. Keep the incline the same but vary the speeds, from fast walking to sprinting.

NO holding on!!!  >:(

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 01:01:05 AM »
Running sucks.  Choose a low impact form of cardio.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 01:06:13 AM »
I had a BJJ teacher that said every 15? minutes of running is like 1 minute of BJJ. or something like that.
A

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »
There are so many factors that go into conditioning for fighting whether boxing or MMA. Bodybuilders are the worse people to ask advice concerning this.  Most perma bulkers couldn't run around the block or box an effective 3 minute round because they have no true conditioning.  They are so use to impressing their ego with their half squats, quarter leg presses and again half range of motion presses of all type.  Most are in horrible condition. I just ran into this at a local 5K race.  One of the sponsors was this local big gym.  They sent three of their cosmetic bodybuilder trainers to enter because they were one of the sponsors of the race.  Every chubby soccer mom ran past them at the one mile mark.  It was embarrassing.

In addition to practicing your stand up game and submission wrestling you should also do conditioning drills. Running is one part of the equation.  I have never met a wrestler or boxer that didn't run.  You need both distance and sprint intervals.  Don't listen to guys that bodybuild who walk on a treadmill like an old lady or only do 100 meter repeats. 

Hit the link below.  This guy knows what conditioning is for real fighting.  Not the bodybuilding split nonsense with elliptical machines for cardio BS.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/strengthvsconditioning.html

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »
There are so many factors that go into conditioning for fighting whether boxing or MMA. Bodybuilders are the worse people to ask advice concerning this.  Most perma bulkers couldn't run around the block or box an effective 3 minute round because they have no true conditioning.  They are so use to impressing their ego with their half squats, quarter leg presses and again half range of motion presses of all type.  Most are in horrible condition. I just ran into this at a local 5K race.  One of the sponsors was this local big gym.  They sent three of their cosmetic bodybuilder trainers to enter because they were one of the sponsors of the race.  Every chubby soccer mom ran past them at the one mile mark.  It was embarrassing.

In addition to practicing your stand up game and submission wrestling you should also do conditioning drills. Running is one part of the equation.  I have never met a wrestler or boxer that didn't run.  You need both distance and sprint intervals.  Don't listen to guys that bodybuild who walk on a treadmill like an old lady or only do 100 meter repeats. 

Hit the link below.  This guy knows what conditioning is for real fighting.  Not the bodybuilding split nonsense with elliptical machines for cardio BS.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/strengthvsconditioning.html

This thread has given me some good info! This post in particular.

Here is where I am, and my goals. I will be HONEST (which few are).

Age 29
Height 5 ft 9 1/2
weight 215
waist about 30 inches closer to 29
BF around 14% (Just a guess I will text anyone a couple pics if they like pm me your # I have some recent shots)

Currently I can sprint pretty well and am attempting to be both strong fast and agile with excellent endurance. I want to get down to 195 keeping my strength if not getting stronger and have excellent cardio.

Trained for BBing for years but got sick of it. I am ready for something new and have excellent genes (natural BTW have been about 4-5 years now). I took karate about 7 years when I was younger so I have a good foundation for martial arts though by no means would I say I really know what I am doing. I am def a beginner. I work about 2 miles from AKA and that is  where I was planning to join.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
Get used to running uphill. 15% incline is good... (work your way up to it if your not used to it) HIIT style. Keep the incline the same but vary the speeds, from fast walking to sprinting.

NO holding on!!!  >:(

So what is a good incline to start with? 4% or 3%? So I would say walk for 5 then do my sprints and then what keep doing this incline until it gets easy and then move up 1% at a time? I mean I really do need a routine here. I have no clue what to do really.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
Should I just run twice a day using various techniques until I get good at it? And forego the weights? I can put on muscle relatively easy and quickly.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
So what is a good incline to start with? 4% or 3%? So I would say walk for 5 then do my sprints and then what keep doing this incline until it gets easy and then move up 1% at a time? I mean I really do need a routine here. I have no clue what to do really.

Start off at 8%.. every week bump it up 2-3%. Work your way up to 15% gradually..once you get comfortable with that keep increasing the intensity speedwise. 2 min fast walk, 1 minute run intervals. At the end of each 1 minute running interval you should feel close to puking. Do not stop, but set the speed at a fast walk pace and recover that way until its time to run again. Again, do not hold on! this totally defeats the purpose.

Do a good 5 minute warmup with a fast walk. my speed varies between 3.7 (walking)and 6.5 mph (running) at 15% incline.

The cardio workout should last between 20-30 min per day, with a total of 4-5 running intervals. Its very intense but it will get you in great shape if you can stick with it.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
I am trying to get in shape for MMA and have been working on my cardio big time but I just don't make progress running. I am losing fat pretty fast but I still cannot run for sh*t! Sprints are ok but nothing for distance. Idealy I would like to be able to run at least 4-5 miles without stopping at a rate of about 9mph (this would be 9.0 on the treadmill). That is my goal. Please somebody give me a good routine to get there asap. I am willing to work HARD to get there, but have no direction. Lifitng I am good at and dieting, but i have no clue how to run or what tactics to use.

go outside and put 1 foot in front of the other and just do that repeatedly at a fast pace.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
Should I just run twice a day using various techniques until I get good at it? And forego the weights? I can put on muscle relatively easy and quickly.

Keep lifting. If nothing else at least keep compound movements.. squats, deadlifts. Bare minimum. You want to be a fast runner glute/hamstring strength is very important..well overall leg strength really. Best not to have imbalances that could lead to injury

I forgot to mention, practice your breathing during the cardio warmup and throughout the session. No short/shallow breaths...you wont last 3 minutes. Deep breathing..3 seconds in, 3 seconds out. It will make it so much easier.

Make sure you have a fan blowing in your face or some good form of ventilation, and lots of water handy. You will need it.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »

not sexy  >:(

nice arms.

where's the after pic?
G

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »
Walk into a bar and single out the ugliest, biggest, scariest MFer in the place.

Order a coke.

Throw the coke in the scary man's face.

At this point, you are about to engage in the most intense running workout of your life.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 06:07:56 AM »
nice arms.

where's the after pic?

lol that's method

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »
can i ask why MMa and not boxing?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 08:03:26 AM »

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
G

Mons Venus

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »

For MMA......think anaerobic/lactate threshold.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »
For MMA......think anaerobic/lactate threshold.

Also, consider lactose intolerance. Haven't we learned anything form the 60s?

And whilel you're considering that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.
G

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »

he wants to be a well rounded fighter?

E
E

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

boxing's to hard...and he wants to make less $....

but in all seriousness had a buddy that was a gold glove boxer.He jumped rope 3 minutes straight with a minute off then 3 more minutes ect.sometime for an hour...needless to say it was known by all his opponets he would never gas out as the fight went on.dude was well known 4 having some serious cardio.
DAWG

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
Keep lifting. If nothing else at least keep compound movements.. squats, deadlifts. Bare minimum. You want to be a fast runner glute/hamstring strength is very important..well overall leg strength really. Best not to have imbalances that could lead to injury

I forgot to mention, practice your breathing during the cardio warmup and throughout the session. No short/shallow breaths...you wont last 3 minutes. Deep breathing..3 seconds in, 3 seconds out. It will make it so much easier.

Make sure you have a fan blowing in your face or some good form of ventilation, and lots of water handy. You will need it.

Thank you very much for both posts. Leaving now to try it! Fuck 8%.,,, I will do my best and report back (good lord)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2009, 03:58:14 PM »
he wants to be a well rounded fighter?

E

Spot on. I live in san jose (just went to Strikeforce) and fuck boxing it's all Muay Thai and BJJ for me. Except for the danish cat who fucked up bobalu the best fighters were all MT and BJJ.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »
boxers make too much $$$.
A

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
Spot on. I live in san jose (just went to Strikeforce) and fuck boxing it's all Muay Thai and BJJ for me. Except for the danish cat who fucked up bobalu the best fighters were all MT and BJJ.
muay thai is hardcore, i used to have a friend who did muiay thai and during p.e. in high school me nd a few other buddies would just stand around him in a circle and try our best to kick him... hed always fuck us up..we never could do any damage to him..