Author Topic: Farmers walks - undiscovered exercise in bodybuilding?  (Read 9667 times)

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
Farmers walks - undiscovered exercise in bodybuilding?
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
Not only does this exercise target bodyparts that are weak for many bodybuilders (calves, traps, forearms) but it increases your aerobic and anaerobic capacity and makes you overall a heck lot stronger. I wonder why no bodybuilder has ever, that I know of, done these. I would do these if my gym had space and big enough dumbbells.

I thought about it for 15 seconds and found the likely answer...they couldn't fit it in their "split"...shame.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Farmers walks - undiscovered exercise in bodybuilding?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
Quite a few college and high school athletic departments gyms use the Farmers walk, one hand or two. Either with a cemented tube with handles in it, DB or even a BB for better sports balance. Called suitcase walks also. Great going up a small hill. T-nation had an article about them a couple of weeks ago, which featured a trap/shrug bar if I remember correctly. Can also use a wheel barrel, which some guy's prefer. Also can go up hills that way.The weight doesn't rub against the legs.

Yes, is rare in regular BB'ing workouts. Great for the forearms, traps and the shoulder girdle. Also hips, abs and lower back. Warning I am going to use those over worked words, "The Core Muscles". That's where the Farmer Walk (or forms of) hits strongly.Think of it as a mobile DL, but easier to walk with. Just about works the same muscle structures. Good Luck.

Side Bar: We use to have a old medium sized refrigerator behind the gym. We would bear hug that and try walking around the backyard. Great for everything, including power in the upper body from the hugging and trying to keep it from falling as we walked. A lot of guy's got better chest and backs doing this. And surprise, stronger and bigger biceps. Guy's with shorter arms used a strap to help than with the frig. Hint: if you picked it up nearer the bottom, much easier to handle. Mostly the football played did these frig walks. Really helped with their game.
F

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »
I discovered the farmer's walk many years ago by accident. At the time, I was in college and the school was relocating the weight room. I elected to help move all of the equipment into the new area, about 1/4 mile away into another building on campus. My job was to move the entire dumbbell rack, pair by pair. Why nobody devised an easier method I don't know, we had no pallet jacks or carts to help the process. Anyway, the first few trips were easy with the light db pairs, but during the mid, heavier pairs, I started realizing that this was an actual workout in itself. By the time I got to the heaviest ones, my forearms were completely shot. I had to place them down every ten feet or so, completely humbling me. Man, I was so sore the next day I couldn't believe how effective it was.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »

I used to do them for my cardio, to finish off a workout. I'd walk around 100yds total- depending on the gym I was at I may have had to split that into 2 50yd walks to & from one side- and then rest for 30-45secs. In one case I did it with 2 partners, and just went as soon as #3 finished.
This, I think, was the best cardio I've ever done. Just not always practical to do in a lunch hour filled gym that you can barely walk down the main pathway.

OmahaPlaya

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
I usually do partial Farmer's Walks when getting heavy weights from the rack to take to the bench I'm using on the other side of the gym. ( my gym has a weird set up) Shit does wonders for my forearms!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »
I like to use a trap bar.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »
I like to use a trap bar.
yeah, thats what i do too

bench

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »
yeah, thats what i do too

bench
I do them near the end of workouts so i only use 2 or 3 12 plates a side.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
I do them near the end of workouts so i only use 2 or 3 12 plates a side.
i usually just attach the dumpsters behind the gym to each side for a warm up.

bench

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
i usually pick up two motorcycles and carry them

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
lol man..

the secret is out!!!  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 06:14:06 PM »
I discovered the farmer's walk many years ago by accident. At the time, I was in college and the school was relocating the weight room. I elected to help move all of the equipment into the new area, about 1/4 mile away into another building on campus. My job was to move the entire dumbbell rack, pair by pair. Why nobody devised an easier method I don't know, we had no pallet jacks or carts to help the process. Anyway, the first few trips were easy with the light db pairs, but during the mid, heavier pairs, I started realizing that this was an actual workout in itself. By the time I got to the heaviest ones, my forearms were completely shot. I had to place them down every ten feet or so, completely humbling me. Man, I was so sore the next day I couldn't believe how effective it was.

I had a similar experience.  I bought dumbbells from 80lbs to 100lbs in 5lbs jumps.  I had them in my car and I had to bring them into the house and down to the basement. I was in a rush to get them in the house.  First off the pair of 80lbs.  Breathing hard but okay.  Ran up the stairs and got the 85lbs.  Did a fast walk through the driveway and up the front porch stairs.  Then crossed the hall and down the basement stairs.  This is getting tough but I want to get it done quick.  Grabbed the 90lbs. then the 95's.  By the time I got to the 100lbs. I was wiped out. 

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »
about six months ago i took the 100s and walked with them from one side of the gym to the other...after a few workouts like that i got tired of assholes askin and lookin at me

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:59 AM »
lol man..

the secret is out!!!  ;D

Now everyone is going to have a set of championship calves, damnit!

Farmers are good for you, but I wouldn't rely on them to 'bring up a lagging bodypart'. Good grip work and cardio though!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »
Try walking, running/sprinting, in heavy sand. Or up hills/grades on the toes. Can also do step-ups, Farmer walk style. All good for bring up calves, legs and hips. Might try suitcase walks also. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
Try walking, running/sprinting, in heavy sand.

Hey!
We don't ALL live by the beach, buddy...

>:(

;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »
Hey!
We don't ALL live by the beach, buddy...

>:(

;D

Que JPM on constructing your very own beach for intense cardiovascular training sessions.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
Stubborn:  Send me $19.95 and I will give you a planned layout for your very own beach paradise. Or a giant litter box.  Good Luck.
F

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »
Stubborn:  Send me $19.95 and I will give you a planned layout for your very own beach paradise. Or a giant litter box.  Good Luck.

I figured as much. ;D I just duct tape sand bags on an old pair of New Balance, basically the same thing.