Author Topic: Opinions on this back routine  (Read 13742 times)

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
Re: Opinions on this back routine
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Chins - 3 sets to warm up, get good stretch an do them first because if i do them last i'll get about 3 reps lol

Deadlifts - standard, low rep stuff 5 reps or so over multiple sets

Nautilus pullover - 3 sets to failure

Barbell row - torso parellel or as close to as possible with ground 3 sets or so, lighter going for 15-20 reps or so

I guess what i'm tryingto discover is if theres any value in performing pullovers before a row, almost acquiring a sort of pre exhaustion effect if we consider a pullover as a lat isolation movement that limits arm involvement

Any thoughts?

There is no perfect routine.... what matters is the intensity and form of your workouts, are you getting a real pump /blood into the muslces or are you simply heaving massive poundages for all to notice.

That said here is a sample of my own routine:

* stretch before routine and in between all sets

1. Barbell Rows(underhand grip) on Smith Machine: This takes the lower back out of the equation. Also I utilize hooks instead of wraps to assist my grip and when it gives out on all back exercises.  I start at 135 for 15-20 warm-up, then do 185 for 10, then do 225 for 10, then do my first working set of 245 to max, immediately drop to 185 for max then to 135 for a max, thats 1 set. I do this type of "set" 2 more times and move on to machine pull-downs.

2. Machine Pull-downs(I use wide, overhand grip): Same formula, 1st set is at 100 lbs for 15, next 160 for 10, then the whole stack for 10(stack weighs about 225) then drop to 160 to failure then 100 to failure and thats 1 set, repeat 2 more times. By now I have a massive pump in the lats and the constant strectching only allows for greater blood flow. Next I will hit lying dumbell pullovers.

3. Lying dumbell pullovers : I start with a 40 lb dumbell for 15 reps, then 60 for 10 then 75 for for 10-15(75 is the heaviest they have in the gym), then I do 3 more sets with the 75 lb dumbell, I really love this exercise better than all the rest since it gives me the best stretch and pump and totally eliminates the biceps from the equation.

4. Last will be Barbell shrugs on smith machine - my traps are really developed so I do 135 for 10, 225 for 10, then 315 for 10, then immediately drop to 225 to failure then 135 for 15-20 and that's it for back.

Notes: You noticed no d-lifts, I have a back problem(bulging disc) so I stay away from weighted d-lifts, but if you have no injuries stopping you from doing them then by all means add them in last to your routine.

Thats what I do, and I have had amazing results form the amount of weights/volume I do in a given workout. I rest very little between sets since I value a pump more than trying to heave massive amounts of weight.

Good luck

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
Free weights > machines. 8)

The kind of blanket statement i expect from a non-BB with no size and little experience or open-mindedness.

These guys would eat chaos for lunch and don't agree with the narrow minded thinking  ;D

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=296501.0

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »
There is no perfect routine.... what matters is the intensity and form of your workouts, are you getting a real pump /blood into the muslces or are you simply heaving massive poundages for all to notice.

That said here is a sample of my own routine:

* stretch before routine and in between all sets

1. Barbell Rows(underhand grip) on Smith Machine: This takes the lower back out of the equation. Also I utilize hooks instead of wraps to assist my grip and when it gives out on all back exercises.  I start at 135 for 15-20 warm-up, then do 185 for 10, then do 225 for 10, then do my first working set of 245 to max, immediately drop to 185 for max then to 135 for a max, thats 1 set. I do this type of "set" 2 more times and move on to machine pull-downs.

2. Machine Pull-downs(I use wide, overhand grip): Same formula, 1st set is at 100 lbs for 15, next 160 for 10, then the whole stack for 10(stack weighs about 225) then drop to 160 to failure then 100 to failure and thats 1 set, repeat 2 more times. By now I have a massive pump in the lats and the constant strectching only allows for greater blood flow. Next I will hit lying dumbell pullovers.

3. Lying dumbell pullovers : I start with a 40 lb dumbell for 15 reps, then 60 for 10 then 75 for for 10-15(75 is the heaviest they have in the gym), then I do 3 more sets with the 75 lb dumbell, I really love this exercise better than all the rest since it gives me the best stretch and pump and totally eliminates the biceps from the equation.

4. Last will be Barbell shrugs on smith machine - my traps are really developed so I do 135 for 10, 225 for 10, then 315 for 10, then immediately drop to 225 to failure then 135 for 15-20 and that's it for back.

Notes: You noticed no d-lifts, I have a back problem(bulging disc) so I stay away from weighted d-lifts, but if you have no injuries stopping you from doing them then by all means add them in last to your routine.

Thats what I do, and I have had amazing results form the amount of weights/volume I do in a given workout. I rest very little between sets since I value a pump more than trying to heave massive amounts of weight.

Good luck

impressive

are you performing essentially a drop set 3 times for bb row and pulldowns?

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »
impressive

are you performing essentially a drop set 3 times for bb row and pulldowns?

yes for both... I do these drop sets for almost every body part I train and have noticed amazing results versus the conventional way i trained which was hit 10 reps then rest(lose pump) and repeat and so on. It seems the old school approach to volume training Arnold adhered to really works, focusing on form and getting a crazy pump versus the amount of weight you use really does work. It seems though from alot of guys I see at the gym, do not understand this. Try it and I think you will be shocked.

The best bodypart that has responded has been shoulders. Shoulders really respond best to the drop set/ volume type of training. I NEVER use more than 30 pounds when doing dumbell side laterals for example, I'll do 30 to failure, then 20 lb to failure then 10 lb till failure and maybe even a 5 lb dumbell to failure. It seems counterintuitive to get bigger by the use of such light weights, but remember we're trying to build muscle not break powerlifting records.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »
hey wiseguy thats a workout man heavy on the volume....what does your overall workout split look like??  also i was wondering how long does it take you to do a whole back workout??

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
:-\

you dont agree? working back twice a week is much better strategy than blasting back once a week with unnecessarily high volume.

20 sets of back in one workout is overkill.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2009, 05:43:26 PM »

20 sets of back in one workout is overkill.

What does your typical back workout look like?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »

What does your typical back workout look like?

well right now i do 3 exercises x 3 sets = 9 (working)sets....twice a week.

can you get you back to grow by doing back once a week (with unnecessarily) high volume...sure. is it the best method? no.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
well right now i do 3 exercises x 3 sets = 9 (working)sets....twice a week.

is it the best method? no.

Says you.

What you are doing is a warm up, no wonder you have to do it twice a week.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
Says you.

What you are doing is a warm up, no wonder you have to do it twice a week.

yeah i say that and so does real world results (and science). and i know what im talking about, unlike most idiots on here. and i dont need drugs to mask shitty training strategies.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
yeah i say that and so does real world results. and i know what im talking about, unlike most idiots on here. and i dont need drugs to mask shitty training strategies.

"real world results" for you. I happen to get by just fine working back once a week, and I happen to know what I'm talking about too. :-*
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
"real world results" for you. I happen to get by just fine working back once a week, and I happen to know what I'm talking about too. :-*

you are a drug user. what you do doesnt mean jack shit for naturals.

i have gotten results from working back once a week too..but its no the best way. and alot of people will get total shit results by only working back once a week.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »

i have gotten results from working back once a week too..but its no the best way. and alot of people will get total shit results by only working back once a week.

??? Never used anything, check yourself son.

Open your mind, don't be like pumpster.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

Totally agree-less is more for those with the guts to push the envelope each set with no wasted effort on half-assed extra volume. Do that and 9 sets plus warmups is more than enough, even less for smaller areas.

As far as frequency, there's what's in vogue and what works. Most top BBs over the last 40-50 years have gone with twice weekly for size including Coleman, Oliva, Schwarzenegger, Draper, etc.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
Totally agree-less is more for those with the guts to push the envelope each set with no wasted effort on half-assed extra volume. Do that and 9 sets plus warmups is more than enough, even less for smaller areas.

As far as frequency, there's what's in vogue and what works. Most top BBs over the last 40-50 years have gone with twice weekly for size including Coleman, Oliva, Schwarzenegger, Draper, etc.

All steroid abusers......according to slaveboy what they say means jack shit for naturals.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
All steroid abusers......according to slaveboy what they say means jack shit for naturals.

Trolling by someone who doesn't resemble a BB whatsoever lol

Listen buddy here's a tip, since you don't know this - the fundamentals of BB training aren't turned upside down just because of juicing. Your preconception is typical of many who don't really know.

I like slave both for the serious insights and telling it like it is. ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »

Trolling by someone who doesn't resemble a BB whatsoever lol
Discussion is trolling ???

Post up a pic, let's see how much you resemble a bodybuilder.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
Discussion is trolling ???

Post up a pic, let's see how much you resemble a bodybuilder.

I don't have the need of some to post pics-call it secure in your own skin maybe. I've extended invitations to meet with anyone in my next of the woods, that's even better than pics for those with balls. Ask Groink, he was "too busy" lol

Any type of serious discourse is impossible with "chaos" thanks to his inner demons and incessant need to troll in lieu of content. ;D

FYI i'm tired of being a sex object on my bike, whistled at by passing motorists. ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
I don't have the need of some to post pics-call it secure in your own skin maybe. I've extended invitations to meet with anyone in my next of the woods, that's even better than pics for those with balls. Ask Groink, he was "too busy" lol
Any type of serious discourse is impossible with "chaos" thanks to his inner demons and incessant need to troll in lieu of content. ;D

FYI i'm tired of being a sex object on my bike, whistled at by passing motorists. ;D
Groink said you blatantly ignored his repeated requests for directions. :-\

"secure in your own skin" hahhaa so much so that you're afraid of what some people on the internet will say about you. ;D

BTW to stay on topic.........9 sets is not enough for back even if you do it twice a week. It's an excuse to get out of busting your ass, but you already know and advocate that. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
Groink said you blatantly ignored his repeated requests for directions. :-\

BTW to stay on topic.........9 sets is not enough for back even if you do it twice a week. It's an excuse to get out of busting your ass, but you already know and advocate that. ;)

So Yates with less than 9 sets wasn't busting his ass and had a poor back due to low sets... ::)

I did volume for years, less sets is better if there are no wasted sets-if every set is efficient. Volume training essentially means coasting in some sets and/or trying to work hard long after the central nervous system is burnt out.

Groink's claims are as substantive as his legs. ;D He won't be able to deny that it was me not him who extended the invite lol

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »
hey wiseguy thats a workout man heavy on the volume....what does your overall workout split look like??  also i was wondering how long does it take you to do a whole back workout??

It takes me about an hour to do my back, but then again I really don't pay attention to time.

As for my split here is what I do:

Day-1 arms, 20-30 min cardio
Day-2 shoulders/calves, 20-30 min. cardio
Day-3 Off
Day-4 Chest/abs, 20-30 min. cardio
Day-5 Back, 20-30 min. cardio
Day-6 Off
Day-7 Legs, 20-30 min. cardio
Day-8 Off

Repeat cycle

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »
So Yates with less than 9 sets wasn't busting his ass and had a poor back due to low sets... ::)

I did volume for years, less sets is better if there are no wasted sets-if every set is efficient. Volume training essentially means coasting in some sets and/or trying to work hard long after the central nervous system is burnt out.

Groink's claims are as substantive as his legs. ;D He won't be able to deny that it was me not him who extended the invite lol
Yates = boatload of drugs.......I don't use, I assume slaveboy doesn't use, do you use steroids?

As far as going to your gym is concerned how would I ever find it if you won't tell me where it is or what it's called?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:11 PM »
Yates = boatload of drugs.......I don't use, I assume slaveboy doesn't use, do you use steroids?

As far as going to your gym is concerned how would I ever find it if you won't tell me where it is or what it's called?

The drugs don't change training fundamentals or the results, they only exaggerate the combo of hard work, genetics, diet, etc.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
The drugs don't change training fundamentals or the results, they only exaggerate the combo of hard work, genetics, diet, etc.
I beg to differ.

No bodybuilder would have the results they have from lifting weights without drugs.

Now about directions to your gym........ :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
I beg to differ.

No bodybuilder would have the results they have from lifting weights without drugs.

Now about directions to your gym........ :)

No, that's not the issue. Of course they wouldn't look the same without drugs. My point is that the drugs just amplify the same effects.

Anyone can pm me then leave a number.