Author Topic: Cheney Slams Obama's 'Politicized' Probe of CIA Interrogations  (Read 2457 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I absolutely agree with Cheney on this. 

Cheney Slams Obama's 'Politicized' Probe of CIA Interrogations
In blunt, unsparing language, former Vice President Dick Cheney accuses President Obama of setting a "terrible precedent" by launching an "intensely partisan, politicized look back at the prior administration," seeming to question Obama's fitness as commander-in-chief.
By Bill Sammon

FOXNews.com

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Calling it a "terrible decision" that undermines national security and devastates CIA morale, former Vice President Dick Cheney slammed the Obama administration's probe of aggressive interrogation of terrorists.

"It's an outrageous political act that will do great damage, long-term, to our capacity to be able to have people take on difficult jobs, make difficult decisions, without having to worry about what the next administration is going to say," Cheney told "FOX News Sunday" in a no-holds-barred interview.

In blunt, unsparing language, Cheney accused President Obama of setting a "terrible precedent" by allowing an "intensely partisan, politicized look back at the prior administration."

He said the decision by Attorney General Eric Holder to launch a probe into alleged abuse of prisoners under the prior administration "offends the hell out of me," as he seemed to question Obama's fitness as commander-in-chief.

"I have serious doubts about his policies," Cheney told FOX News' Chris Wallace in Jackson Hole, Wyo. "Serious doubts, especially, about the extent to which he understands and is prepared to do what needs to be done to defend the nation."

As evidence, Cheney pointed to Obama's decision last week to assert White House control over a newly formed unit that will interrogate terrorists. The new arrangement shifts control of such interrogations away from the CIA and toward the FBI, although oversight will be exercised by the National Security Council, which is located in the White House and reports directly to the president.

Administration officials are vague about which agency will retain ultimate authority. Obama spokesman Bill Burton initially said the new unit "will report to the director of the FBI," although the Justice Department, which encompasses the FBI, insisted the unit is "not a sub-unit of the FBI or the Justice Department."

Burton explained: "Just like other interagency processes, if there are disagreements, the different agencies are able to come together and make a decision."

Cheney ridiculed the new unit, which will be known as the High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group (HIG).

"It's not even clear who's responsible," he marveled. "The Justice Department is, then they claim they aren't. The FBI is responsible, and they claim they aren't. It's some kind of interagency process by which they're going to be responsible for interrogating high-value detainees.

"If we had tried to do that back in the aftermath of 9/11, when we captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11, we'd have gotten no place," he said.

Cheney predicted the new unit will be incapable of effectively interrogating "people that may have knowledge about imminent attacks."

"They're going to have to have meetings and decide who gets to ask what question and who's going to Mirandize the witness," he said. "I think it's silly. It makes no sense. It doesn't appear to be a serious move in terms of being able to deal with the nation's security."

Cheney warned that curtailing the CIA's role in interrogations is a grave mistake.

"I think it's a direct slap at the CIA. I don't think it will work," he said. "It moves very much in the direction of going back to the old way of looking at these terrorist attacks -- that these are law enforcement problems, that this isn't a strategic threat to the United States."

But Cheney reserved his strongest criticism for Holder's decision Monday to appoint a prosecutor and open a criminal investigation into alleged abuses by CIA agents who interrogated terrorists during the administration of former President George W. Bush. The former vice president accused Obama of breaking a promise not to prosecute the agents.

"We had the president of the United States, President Obama, tell us a few months ago there wouldn't be any investigation like this, that there would not be any look back at CIA personnel who were carrying out the policies of the prior administration," Cheney said. "Now they get a little heat from the left wing of the Democratic Party, and they're reversing course on that."

In January, just days before he took office, Obama assured CIA agents they need not worry about prosecution.

"We need to look forward, as opposed to looking backwards," the president-elect said. "At the CIA you've got extraordinarily talented people who are working very hard to keep Americans safe. I don't want them to suddenly feel like they've got to spend all their time looking over their shoulders and lawyering up."

In April, after disclosing classified documents that detailed the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques, Obama said: "This is a time for reflection, not retribution."

"Nothing will be gained by spending our time and energy laying blame for the past," the president added. "For those who carried out some of these operations within the four corners of legal opinions or guidance that had been provided from the White House, I do not think it's appropriate for them to be prosecuted."

At the time, Holder added: "It would be unfair to prosecute dedicated men and women working to protect America for conduct that was sanctioned in advance by the Justice Department."

In his interview with FOX News, Cheney disputed the administration's assertion last week that the decision to go after the CIA agents was made by Holder, not Obama.

"If you look at the Constitution, the president of the United States is the chief law enforcement officer in the land," Cheney said. "The attorney general's a statutory officer. He's a member of the Cabinet. The president's the one who bears this responsibility."

Cheney said it was disingenuous of Obama "to say, 'Gee, I didn't have anything to do with it,' especially after he sat in the Oval Office and said this wouldn't happen. Then Holder decides he's going to do it. So now he's backed off and is claiming he's not responsible.

"I just think he's trying to duck the responsibility for what's going on here," Cheney concluded. "And I think it's wrong."

Cheney pointed out that the Justice Department already investigated all the cases in question during the Bush administration and decided to prosecute only one contractor, who received a jail sentence.

"The matter's been dealt with the way you would expect it to be dealt with by professionals," Cheney said. "Now we've got a political appointee coming back, and supposedly without the approval of the president, going to do a complete review, or another complete investigation, possible prosecution of CIA personnel."

He added: "A review is never going to be final anymore now. We can have somebody, some future administration, come along 10 years from now, 15 years from now, and go back and rehash all of these decisions by an earlier administration.

Cheney vigorously defended the CIA.

"In the intelligence arena, we ask those people to do some very difficult things, sometimes, that put their own lives at risk," he said. "They do so at the direction of the president. In this case, we had specific legal authority from the Justice Department. And if they are now going to be subject to being investigated and prosecuted by the next administration, nobody's going to sign up for those kinds of missions.

"It's a very, very devastating, I think, effect that it has on morale inside the intelligence community."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/30/cheney-slams-obamas-politicized-probe-cia-interrogations/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Cheney Slams Obama's 'Politicized' Probe of CIA Interrogations
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
Beach...its not Barry its Holder, Barry just wants to let the process work and he has no control over it.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
Beach...its not Barry its Holder, Barry just wants to let the process work and he has no control over it.

The last part of the article pretty much lays out that it's Holder, but like Cheney says the buck stops with the prez.  I suspect there may be a little good cop, bad cop stuff going on here. 

Would you believe I'm actually to the point where I pretty much have to change the channel when I hear Obama speaking?   :-\

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Nope, not at all. A bunch of us were talking at lunch the other day and most of the guys are like me, they read the transcripts after he talks. I can't watch him, he makes me ill. Ur not alone.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
Nope, not at all. A bunch of us were talking at lunch the other day and most of the guys are like me, they read the transcripts after he talks. I can't watch him, he makes me ill. Ur not alone.

Dang.  That's bad. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
Thats about 13 of the 18 Army officers in my class. We try and avoid overt political conversations as part of the class day but with the topics we're dealing with, it comes up alot. Not alot of Barry lovers. I don't say much because I won't ber able to stop. We've discussed Hugo and Evo etc alot.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »

Barry hired Holder because he knew Holder would do this garbage. 

Make no mistake about it, Obama and Holder are like two peas in a pod on this. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »
Its so ridiculous u shouldn't even need to post it.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »
Sen. Feinstein Chides AG Holder for CIA Probe  

Monday, August 31, 2009 8:39 AM

A key Democratic senator criticized a U.S. Justice Department investigation into abusive CIA interrogations of al-Qaida detainees as poorly timed, signaling broadening opposition to the probe.

Dianne Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, raised her objections during a CBS television interview Sunday, while former Vice President Dick Cheney was blasting the probe on Fox television as "an outrageous political act."

Saying she was "horrified" at a classified 2004 Central Intelligence Agency report that detailed abusive interrogation practices, Feinstein said she understood Attorney General Eric Holder's reasons for ordering a review of the interrogation program.

"However, I think the timing of this is not very good," Feinstein said.

The intelligence committee already was well along in conducting a bipartisan "total look" at the interrogation and detention techniques used on so-called high value detainees, she said.

"And candidly, I wish that the attorney general had waited," she said.

"Every day something kind of dribbles out into the public arena," Feinstein said. "Very often it has mistakes. Very often it's half a story. I think we need to get the whole story together and tell it in an appropriate way."

"A lot of things are being said - 'Well, you know, torturing people is something that we did, but on the other hand, it produced all kinds of incredible information,'" she said.

"It did produce some information, but there is a great discrepancy, and I think a good deal of error out there in what people are saying it did produce," she said.

The CIA inspector general's report, parts of which were released last week, detailed the use of simulated drowning, mock executions, and threats of rapes of detainee family members in the course of the interrogations at secret CIA sites overseas.

Cheney, who was deeply involved in devising the previous administration's interrogation policies, said he would have no problem even with interrogations that went beyond specific legal authorizations.

"My sort of overwhelming view is that the enhanced interrogation techniques were absolutely essential in saving thousands of American lives, in preventing further attacks against the United States, in giving us the intelligence we needed to go find al-Qaida, to find their camps, to find out how they were being financed," Cheney said.

Instead, he took aim at President Barack Obama for first assuring CIA officers they would not be prosecuted and then washing his hands of Holder's decision.

"I think it's an outrageous political act that will do great damage long term to our capacity to be able to have people take on difficult jobs, make difficult decisions without having to worry about what the next administration's going to say about it," he said in remarks first reported Friday.

Cheney said he did not believe the investigation would be limited to CIA officers who went beyond the authorities granted at the time by the Justice Department.

"We had the president of the United States, President Obama, tell us a few months ago there wouldn't be any investigation like this, that there would not be any look-back at CIA personnel who were carrying out the policies of the prior administration.

"Now they get a little heat from the left wing of the Democratic Party and they're reversing course on that," Cheney said.

"The president is the chief law enforcement officer in the administration. He's now saying, well, this isn't anything that he's got anything to do with. He's up on vacation at Martha's Vineyard, and his attorney general is going back and doing something that the president said some months ago they wouldn't do."

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., defended Obama's approach as being "unbelievably bending in the direction of trying to be careful about what happens to national security."

"And in fact, I think there is a little bit of a tension between the White House itself and the lawyers in the Justice Department as they see the law and as what their obligation is," he said on ABC television.

"And in a sense, that's good. That's appropriate, because it shows that we have an attorney general who is not pursuing a political agenda, but who is doing what he believes the law requires him to do."

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/feinstein_cia_probe/2009/08/31/254358.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
She knows full well what was found, what worked and what didn't. Nobody who cares about this country wants this shit.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
She knows full well what was found, what worked and what didn't. Nobody who cares about this country wants this shit.

That is where the truth is found. 

Holder and Obama are radicals who could care less.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
Of course.....Barry is is soooooo weak. Just come out and say he wants this. Atleast he wouldn't be a full of shit, douchbag.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
I wish I didn't have to listen to Dick  He just will not shut up. Of course we know he's covering his butt now. The Obama administration said they wanted to go forward and not look at the past eight years of the wrongs by the Bush administration. After that it's been non-stop with Cheney. I guess he felt he had nothing to fear. But now he has fallen in a trap. He has admitted his guilt. Enter Eric Holder.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »
I wish I didn't have to listen to Dick  He just will not shut up. Of course we know he's covering his butt now. The Obama administration said they wanted to go forward and not look at the past eight years of the wrongs by the Bush administration. After that it's been non-stop with Cheney. I guess he felt he had nothing to fear. But now he has fallen in a trap. He has admitted his guilt. Enter Eric Holder.

Go complain to Barb. Feinstein cause even she agrees this is utter nonsense. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »
Go complain to Barb. Feinstein cause even she agrees this is utter nonsense. 

who the hell is  Barb. Feinstein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »
who the hell is  Barb. Feinstein

Good catch Blacken.  i often mistake barbara boxer and diane feinstein since the two are nearly identical in their nonsense most of the time. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
Good catch Blacken.  i often mistake barbara boxer and diane feinstein since the two are nearly identical in their nonsense most of the time. 

so is it barbara boxer or feistein who thinks its nonsence

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 06:30:13 PM »
Beach Bum, you agree with a Fox News article?

I never thought that I would live to see the day. Shocker.
G

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »

I thought it was intentional.   :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
so is it barbara boxer or feistein who thinks its nonsence

Feinstein.  Barbara Boxer seems to have been undergoing a lot of plastic surgery lately since that broad is running for reelection next year.   ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
Beach Bum, you agree with a Fox News article?

I never thought that I would live to see the day. Shocker.

This was the first line of the thread:

I absolutely agree with Cheney on this.  

Did you even read the article?  

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 06:35:27 PM »
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the California Democrat who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, wrote a letter to Obama asking him to reserve judgment on whether Bush administration officials should be prosecuted until her committee completes its probe on the effectiveness of the CIA’s interrogation program in six to eight months.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/05/05/burlingame_after_meeting_with_obama_he_turned_his_back_on_me.html

Burlingame After Meeting With Obama: He Turned His Back On Me
Related Videos | expand

Debra Burlingame, the sister of Chip Burlingame (pilot of the plane that crashed into the Pentagon) met with President Obama today, along with other families who were victims of 9/11. Burlingame said she confronted Obama about Attorney General Eric Holder prosecuting the men who interrogated KSM, which may have produced intelligence leading us to bin Laden.

Burlingame describes the encounter with Obama: "As a former attorney I know you can't tell the Attorney General what to do, he said, 'No, I can't.' But I said 'we -- that shouldn't stop you from giving your opinion. We wouldn't be here today if they hadn't done their jobs. Can't you at least give them your opinion.' And he said 'no I won't,' and he turned around and walked away."
________________________ ________________________ ____________________-

Alright thats it.   Fuck obama, screw this piece of shit.   I'm sick of this.   Bama only did what he was forced to do in this knowing had he not made the call it would have gotten out and his ass would have been impeached or removed pursuant to 25th amend. 

Seriously - fuck him and everyone who still supports this pofs admn.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I met Burlingame in NYC at the rally.   She is 100% hardcore patriot and lost her brother and has lived, breathed, and slept 24/7 on this issue. 

Fuck obama.   Seriously not only fuck obama - but fuck him and his miserable pofs wife and admn as well.   I'm sick of this asshole. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
http://www.keepamericasafe.com

This is her website.  She has been 10000% hardcore patriot from Day 1.     This pisses me off to no end.

Fuck obama.