Author Topic: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?  (Read 34044 times)

dodster

• Getbig IV
Re: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 03:19:18 PM »
u think mentzer could have been better if he used a few more sets. Listen to his lame ass comments: some bb took piss out of him for training so little: hey mentzer u train like a pussy! so mentzer says : " i need 1 set. it only took one sperm to impregnate ur mother. " mentzer then got his ass kicked.
the only person who even remotely uses his training was Yates, and we all know he used 10 warmup sets, ie he used high volume, not HIT
speak to any real bb, and they willl say the same, unless they full o synthol ,
cutler uses 46 sets!

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 03:54:25 PM »
Below is what I read a while ago in an interview with Arnold in a 1981 Muscle and Fitness. It isn't word for word.

Arnold entered the 1980 O to teach Mike Mentzer a lesson for publicly dissrespecting his training methods.
When asked about HIT Arnold had always said that different methods work for different people even though he actually felt the way he trained and Oliva before him was the way to a champion physique.
Arnold went into the competition and set about knocking Mentzer down a peg or two. He told Mentzer he lost to zane because he had a fat stomach which infuriated him.
Arnold said that "not once did Mike think about what I was doing to him" "I was seeing how he'd react under pressure" "he blew up so big because he was in front of alot of people, he wouldn't have acted like that if he wasn't"
Arnold also said he wanted to teach Zane a lesson for " I tried to help him but received a slap in the face" (not literally) I can't remember the full story there.
Apparantly Boyer Coe got the wrong end of the stick and thought Arnold wanted to teach him a lesson, so there was some rivalry there also.

619Rules

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 06:14:09 PM »
mentzer isnt even in the same league
Dodster-those pics of big Arnold are not from 1980-that is why there is a big bruhaha about the 1980 O-Arnold was wy off top form and MM was at peak condition.

In any event-this debate will never end-so dont post telling me how great Arnold was in 1980.........

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 07:01:14 PM »
C'mon, while Mike can't touch Arnold's competitive accomplishments, saying Mike isn't in Arnold's league is a stretch.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 07:08:38 PM »
And IMHO, Mike was the more intelligent looking athlete

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 07:16:28 PM »
And IMHO, Mike was the more intelligent looking athlete

yeah....B.C's really make people look more intelligent

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
After the contest, Arnold had this to say to Mike:

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 06:16:03 PM »
For publicity and because Arnold was being made out to be the "girly man" that he truly is by Mike Mentzer.   Mike Mentzer may have been "put in his place" by the judges but anyone who looks at any video or pics of the 1980 Olympia knows who the REAL winner was.

Mike Mentzer RIP.  We love ya buddy.

I don't remember seeing Mike in the "Comeback" movie.  I believe this was intentional.  I really wanted to see the difference too.

619Rules

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 06:53:55 PM »
I don't remember seeing Mike in the "Comeback" movie.  I believe this was intentional.  I really wanted to see the difference too.
Yeah-the "Comeback" is a f**king joke. Paul Graham (show promoter) made it a tribute to Arnold-since he was very, very good friends with not only Arnold, but also Franco.

The weird thing about the 1980 show is that Paul Graham was the promoter and not Arnold- Arnold had promoted the 76,77,78 and 79 Olympia with his partner Jim Lorimer (of Columbus Ohio). If Arnold had promoted the show he could not have entered. Arnold also promoted the Pro Universe (now=AKA Arnold S. Classic) a few weeks after the 1980 Olympia, and many of the guys in the 1980 Olympa were going to go into that show-but dropped out after the Austraila mess (except Tom Platz).

After the 1980 Olympia the shows promoters could no longer pick the judges for the show as they had in all previous years (because of the public perception that 1980 had been fixed-real or perceived). The IFBB started picking all the judges starting in 1981 so people could not claim the fix was in (although that rule  did not help Franco's reputation in 81...lol..)

Ricky Wayne has some really good information about the 1980 Mr Olympia in his book "Muscle Wars". That will give everyone a good idea of what happened from first hand sources.

BTW, Ricky Wayne had the biggest arms-in relation to height-of any pro BBer in that era......they were huge for a guy 5'6/190 lbs (21 inches).

THEBERG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 08:46:48 PM »
mentzer had a good body, but come on idiots, his HIT was full o shit and he gay ass was wiped on the floor to prepare the stage for arnie. no one in that era could have touched arnold, except olivia. arnold could beat any bb .  hit user: i grew 1/4 of an inch on my arms in 6 months! i grew 6 inches in my first 6 months, and i used arnies 20 set min per bodypart, 3 x a week.

mentzer HIT was all shit, he doesnt think heaps of warmup set at 50 60 and 70 % of 1 rm count as sets, even yates did like 10 so called warmup sets.

Althought i do beleive there was some merit in the HIT as in that people did not need to train for 3 hours but could get good result from limiting the sets and increaseing intensity but not to the extent of only doing one set.

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 12:15:16 AM »
mentzer HIT was all shit, he doesnt think heaps of warmup set at 50 60 and 70 % of 1 rm count as sets, even yates did like 10 so called warmup sets.

Althought i do beleive there was some merit in the HIT as in that people did not need to train for 3 hours but could get good result from limiting the sets and increaseing intensity but not to the extent of only doing one set.
You're just an ignorant dude. I´d like to see your pics with an explanation how you build your incredible physique.

Paxil Rose

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 04:20:34 AM »
You have to be the biggest Dick Head idiot on here-really. I owned your sorry ass, but you don't seem to get it do you junior.

Arnold was a commentator for the 1979 O, and Arnold interviewed Zane-I dont give a shit who you have on tape-that is a fact Bozo! You bought some BS tape that might show some things-but if Arnold is not interviewing Zane then it is not the whole package dipshit. But-if you bought the GMV video then you know everything-NOT!

What happened to Arnold entering the O  for Conan publicity-you seem to just forget about that on every post after I schooled you there too.

So JUNIOR, listen, I don't have all year to school your stupid ass-maybe you should stop doing things "in cheek"-like your boyfriend does you in your ass cheek JUNIOR.

NOW GROW UP ASSCLOWN/JUNIOR-YOU HAVE BEEN OWNED-AGAIN!

My advice to you pops is to shut your piss flaps.

Arnold was the color man for WWS in Nimes, France for the 77 Universe where KAL beat Mike for the heavyweight crown.

Arnold ALWAYS stood by Bob Beatty ( at least in 77, 78 & 79 ) and it was Bob who was the primary color man and Arnold made selected comments. Arnold promoted the show in 79 assface. Get you facts stright, honey and stop posting while your on the rag, b***h.

With respect to " schooling " me on anything ( let alone Aronld's motives relative the 80 Olympia and the Conan movie )  just sit there on your loose cumhole and wonder what happened to your abs ( if you ever had em, fatboy.) I made no further comment on the 80 OLympia because I did not want to prolong your rape on this board.

And son, if you think Rick ( a great bodybuilder ) ever had 21' arms, your more f**ked than I think you are.

THE BELL HAS RANG AND CLASS IS OUT!

THE BEEF CURTAIN

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 04:48:15 AM »

No oneknows for sure, but Frank Zane had won the Olympia in 79 and Arnold was doing the TV coverage/reporting. After Zane won Arnold asked him how it felt to have won the show for a third time in a row and Zane replied" Almost as good as when I beat you at the Universe". Zane said that this humiliated Arnold on national TV and that was his inspiration to compete in 1980.

Classic!  Ultimate diss! Arnold can take it, we all know he surely can dish it out.

Close second.....

in 1980 Mentzer nearly went ballistic after Arnold told him backstage that the only thing bigger than his belly was his mouth (Muscle Wars by Rick Wayne)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 04:53:25 AM »
Just to keep the facts straight in this little arguement but Kal beat Mike in Nimes in 1977,and not 1979.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 04:58:43 AM »
C'mon, while Mike can't touch Arnold's competitive accomplishments, saying Mike isn't in Arnold's league is a stretch.

posting one Pic next to the other is one thing, put Mike next to Arnold on stage and things change a little bit.

wooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Paxil Rose

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 05:03:02 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the type-o Crownshep.

Now if the Old School has a vice principle, it you. You know your shit. Have you read this thread and if so, where do you weigh in? On my side or the side of that old fat bald ( incorrect  ) looser?

TBC

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 07:01:09 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Paxil,actually i think both of you are about 95% right.This is scanned from the Oct 81 M+F,an article by Rick Wayne about the 80 Olympia.Sorry about some of the edges being blurred,but its hard to get the spine of the magazine into the scanner without letting a bit of light in.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 07:08:06 AM »
You can hardly see the second part,so i`ve scanned it again in smaller portions.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 07:14:28 AM »
That looks a little bit better.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 07:19:54 AM »
Next parts.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 07:26:42 AM »
Last bit of the evidence that i put before you,now let the jury decide. ;D

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 07:53:21 AM »
Thanks Crownshep thats the article I remember reading.

619Rules

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 09:53:55 AM »
My advice to you pops is to shut your piss flaps.

Arnold was the color man for WWS in Nimes, France for the 77 Universe where KAL beat Mike for the heavyweight crown.

Arnold ALWAYS stood by Bob Beatty ( at least in 77, 78 & 79 ) and it was Bob who was the primary color man and Arnold made selected comments. Arnold promoted the show in 79 assface. Get you facts stright, honey and stop posting while your on the rag, b***h.

With respect to " schooling " me on anything ( let alone Aronld's motives relative the 80 Olympia and the Conan movie )  just sit there on your loose cumhole and wonder what happened to your abs ( if you ever had em, fatboy.) I made no further comment on the 80 OLympia because I did not want to prolong your rape on this board.

And son, if you think Rick ( a great bodybuilder ) ever had 21' arms, your more f**ked than I think you are.

THE BELL HAS RANG AND CLASS IS OUT!

THE BEEF CURTAIN
My advice to you Mr Knows nothing-not even jack shit, is to shut your stupid piss flaps.

You have no knowledge of the 1980 mr O, you have bought some GMV tapes of the 1979 O and think b/c you have watched them you know what happened-which as I have pointed out on numerous times already that you have no CLUE-just a dumb ass wanna be.
I guess you are just pissed because I KEEP SCHOOLING YOUR SORRY ASS ALL OVER GETBIG! Schools in again ASSCLOWN.
Yeah-the "Comeback" is a f**king joke. Paul Graham (show promoter) made it a tribute to Arnold-since he was very, very good friends with not only Arnold, but also Franco.

The weird thing about the 1980 show is that Paul Graham was the promoter and not Arnold- Arnold had promoted the 76,77,78 and 79 Olympia with his partner Jim Lorimer (of Columbus Ohio).

Lets see, I said Arnold promoted the O in 76,77,78 and 79-so you copy what I said and say I am wrong-what an ASSCLOWN you are-you have to be the stupidest member of GETBIG. You must have air in your head instead of a BRAIN. You are most likely a pencil neck pussie who gets his ass handed to him on a daily basis-just like I am tearing you a new one right now........So once again I have to set the dipshit who knows nothing straight....

SCHOOLS IN AGAIN DICKHEAD ;D

619Rules

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 09:56:04 AM »
Oh wait...I almost forgot...donkey dick said that Arnold went into the O to promote CONAN-but Conan did not get released until 2 years later...............righ t assclown...funny how you always seem to leave out the shit I have previously schooled you on.........

619Rules

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2005, 10:03:07 AM »

THE BEEF guy-MMMM........DOES COCK TASTE GOOD!

OK....here we go again...time to get your ass raped one more time......

Just to keep the facts straight in this little arguement but Kal beat Mike in Nimes in 1977,and not 1979.
The BEFF guy gets schooled yet again..........

Thanks for pointing out the that I am an IDIOT Crownshep.

The BEFF guy

Thats right pussie...you know who's right...and who talks bullshit on here...SCHOOL IS IN!