Author Topic: DeBussey what is your favorite guitar for shredding and or bodybuilding?  (Read 7422 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: DeBussey what is your favorite guitar for shredding and or bodybuilding?
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »

Finally you and Debussey agree on something ;D
Ha! I've always thought that the Les Paul is a perfect object. Can't be improved on. Like Fallingwater, or a book. And, if you get add some wood flame...  :o

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2009, 04:14:09 AM »
Wowsers. A rack of Les Pauls!? Not only functional but aesthetically beautiful! Me likey.  :)
I have Henry Wadsworth Longfellow on DVD ;)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2009, 04:14:56 AM »
I have Henry Wadsworth Longfellow on DVD ;)
OUTED!  ;D

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2009, 04:15:18 AM »
Ha! I've always thought that the Les Paul is a perfect object. Can't be improved on. Like Fallingwater, or a book. And, if you get add some wood flame...  :o

LPs are tone machines.  I would love to get my hands on one of the 70's LPs with the maple boards.  

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2009, 04:31:00 AM »
OUTED!  ;D
Damn again? I cant take it anymore :D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 06:40:09 AM »
Agreed. For me I range anywhere from my early 80's japanese Squier, to various LPs, along with what are generally considered "shred" guitars.

Me likey all the Les Pauls. :)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 06:49:04 AM »
LPs are tone machines.  I would love to get my hands on one of the 70's LPs with the maple boards.  

I used to have one, it didn't sound like a les paul (seriously bright compared to every les paul I have ever heard/played) and it was heavier than all get out, like most LP's of that era, 12 lbs!  It did play quite nicely though, but it wasn't that classic les paul tone. Big ole fat neck, like a baseball bat.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 06:58:59 AM »
Telecasters are a very underrated guitar.  People think of them often as a country guitar, but that has mostly to do with the bakersfield sound which was popularized by Buck Owens in the 60's. Here is a clip of Roy Buchanan owning jimi henrix's version of "hey joe."   

I don't think there's much you CAN'T do on a tele. 

Stairway to Heaven=recorded on a tele 8)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2009, 07:06:44 AM »
yep, gibson made a lot of money from people trying to get all those tones off of "led zeppelin I" which was recorded entirely on page's "dragon" tele.  page unfortunately lent the guitar to a friend who had it repainted and ruined the tone. I think that stairway on IV was one of the last recordings he did with it

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
Take your pick...

And I was serious about the $99 Strat

The Ibanez JEM with the Fernandes Sustainer is a hot bitch too

Nice collection. I have an old Ibanez RG that is my favorite of all time. It is cheap as hell but I just got so used to it. I would love to won the JEM, though. Just can't justify spending about $2000 for a guitar right now.
I also have the same Boss ME-50 and the Morley Bad Horsie Wah.

I wish I played more.
BTW you play great, man.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
does anyone know about scalloped frets? ive always wondered how it would be different but ive never got my hands on one. id love to try playing a malmsteen strat

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »
does anyone know about scalloped frets? ive always wondered how it would be different but ive never got my hands on one. id love to try playing a malmsteen strat

don't, its worthless.  my buddy had one, he was a jazz, fusion, shredder guy... and he hated it.  it theory, it sounds great, but in appilcation, it is severely lacking.  i had it for a few months while he was playing on a cruise ship. I tried playing i every day, and it just... sucked.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »
I used to have one, it didn't sound like a les paul (seriously bright compared to every les paul I have ever heard/played) and it was heavier than all get out, like most LP's of that era, 12 lbs!  It did play quite nicely though, but it wasn't that classic les paul tone. Big ole fat neck, like a baseball bat.

Yeah I heard they are heavy beasts, kind of the opposite direction I'm headed in right now for my next guitar.  What do you guys think of Parkers?  I am seriously leaning towards getting a Nitefly right now.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »
don't, its worthless.  my buddy had one, he was a jazz, fusion, shredder guy... and he hated it.  it theory, it sounds great, but in appilcation, it is severely lacking.  i had it for a few months while he was playing on a cruise ship. I tried playing i every day, and it just... sucked.

LOL, I think the problem is YOU just sucked... scalloped necks are friging awesome for fast shred type playing, no resistance from the wood, you literally blaze over the frets, you can get much more speed on runs and arpeggios, plus tapping on a scalloped guitar is godly! sounds way more lush and fluid then tapping on a standard neck.

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »
Back in the day I had an ovation acoustic,Steve vai ibanez,guild x-79, charvel, Marshall stack with 2 heads and a Roland gp-8................which I tragically lost in a floood!  I saved up some money and bought a Les Paul and a 50 watt marshall .......but I miss my Ibanez the most. You could throw that thing at a tree and it would stay in tune
  :D :D

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
Nice collection. I have an old Ibanez RG that is my favorite of all time. It is cheap as hell but I just got so used to it. I would love to won the JEM, though. Just can't justify spending about $2000 for a guitar right now.
I also have the same Boss ME-50 and the Morley Bad Horsie Wah.

I wish I played more.
BTW you play great, man.

Thanks mang!

The Fernandes Sustainer gets a shitload of attention and the ME-50 never gets old. As far as the Squier goes, some people say you can make anything sound good with the right technique (and effects pedals  ;D)

I spent almost 3k for the JEM... I should have waited b/c it sat in the closet for awhile--and prices dropped.

As far as the scalloped neck, I have a Strat that is cut. You have to get used to not touching wood (no pun intended) when you fret. Your fingers kinda fall through the frets, but you get a stranglehold on the strings. It's different... not bad, just f'ing different. I don't notice any difference in the recorded sound, just the feel takes some getting used to.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2009, 12:00:39 AM »
What kind of amps is everyone here playing nowadays?   

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
Yeah I heard they are heavy beasts, kind of the opposite direction I'm headed in right now for my next guitar.  What do you guys think of Parkers?  I am seriously leaning towards getting a Nitefly right now.

very cool.
Kahler trem is great in them.

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2009, 12:10:18 AM »
80's 100watt marshall JCM 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »
What kind of amps is everyone here playing nowadays?   

My main rig is an original first issue 5150 combo, followed by a Line 6 Spider II half stack... also have a Peavey Transtube 112 and a little 35 watt fender bullet amp, though live I usually use a V-amp pro modeller through a Hafler power amp.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »
very cool.
Kahler trem is great in them.

I thought I was the only one who preferred Kahlers to Floyds!

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2009, 12:59:51 AM »
I've had a lot of different setups over the years.  My favorite amp that I've ever owned was the VHT Pittbull,  that thing had major balls,  I let it go a few years ago just before I got married.  Right now I play a Vox Valvetronics 100.  I like it much better than any Line 6 I've ever played.  Looking to maybe invest in a nice high gainer soon again though.