Author Topic: FDA searches bodybuilding.com HQ  (Read 12683 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
FDA searches bodybuilding.com HQ
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:16 AM »
Suspected of selling steroids! Which they do of course. But are they illegal steroids?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2009/09/24/2009-09-24_fda_raids_bodybuildingcom.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/25/sports/baseball/25doping.html?_r=1

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090924/SPORTS/709249670

FDA muscles up on Bodybuilding.com, Web site suspected of selling steroids

By Teri Thompson and Nathaniel Vinton
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The federal government's crackdown on the nutritional supplement industry continued Thursday as FDA agents executed a search warrant on one of the country's most popular bodybuilding Web sites, Bodybuilding.com, which the government accuses of marketing and distributing illegal anabolic steroids.

The government's action appears to be part of a nationwide investigation into supplement companies by federal agents including Jeff Novitzky, the FDA criminal investigator who was primarily responsible for uncovering BALCO doping ring, blowing the doors open on widespread steroid abuse in sports.

In an application for a search warrant, unsealed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Idaho, investigators sought access to the headquarters and warehouses of Bodybuilding.com, which claims to have shipped more than six million orders. The site's parent company, Liberty Media, is a large media conglomerate with a business interest in a variety of corporations including the DirectTV, QVC and the Atlanta Braves.

The affidavit claims that the Web site has been illegally selling five anabolic steroids with the names “Madol,” “Tren,” “Superdrol,” “Androstenedione,” and “Turinabol,” despite five “warning letters” from the FDA since 2002 informing the company that it was in violation of the law.

“It's a significant step but it also unfortunately highlights the ineffective regulation of this industry,” said Travis Tygart, president of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. “We've got to wonder how many others are out there continuing to sell these and other anabolic steroids.”

Rob Blenkinsop, the FDA special agent who signed the 86-page affidavit, was also involved with the BALCO crackdown and was listed as a government witness in last year's perjury trial against Tammy Thomas. In the document, Blenkinsop claims to have been involved with the execution of four search warrants in the last four months at firms “involved with the illegal distribution of misbranded and unapproved drugs being marketed as dietary supplements.”

In July, FDA agents – led by Novitzky – raided American Cellular Labs, a California-based supplement company, and then issued a public health advisory about tainted supplements. One of the substances that was allegedly being distributed by that company was Madol, an obscure designer steroid allegedly re-discovered by Patrick Arnold, the rogue chemist who helped develop BALCO's designer steroid THG – or, the Clear.

Telephone calls to Bodybuilding.com were routed to executive assistant Erin Hogue and were not immediately returned. According to the Web site, the site's forums have over 1.3 million members who have made more than 33 million posts.

The supplement industry has become notorious for selling contaminated products in the wake of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, a 1994 federal law that deregulated the industry. The government has been able to prosecute some offenders under the Steroid Control Act of 2004, which was amended in 2005 to ease the definition of a designer, or man-made steroid.

Next week, the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs has scheduled hearings on the barriers preventing the enforcement of steroid control in the bodybuilding industry.

Victor Conte, the founder of BALCO who served a prison sentence for his role in the doping conspiracy, said he was particularly surprised to learn that the affidavit identified the drug “turnibol,” which he said was developed by the East Germans during the Cold War for their notorious state-sponsored doping regimens.

“They called them the 'little blue pills' in the 1960s and 1970s,” Conte said. “Someone has now picked it up and put it in a product in the U.S.”

bb.com deleted their AAS section too it seems.

Rinc

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: bodybuilding.com raided by the FDA!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »
 :o

Mr. O 09' Jay Cutler

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »
Haha that's right the section is gone.  ;D

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:50 AM »
What do you think Chic will wear to the arraignment?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:45:12 AM »
they were just upset about 5 supplements, and had to raid over it?  weird

spinnis

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »
Haha that's right the section is gone.  ;D

that happened a looooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooong time ago I think

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »
I've been warning Deluca about this for years and he never listened nor did the moderators nor did the forum administrators.  Here's one of my last communications a couple of months ago.

I would post my experience on Bodyspace however I've been banned by an idiot moderator on your site again because he or she thinks that I've been spamming from an email address   Even though I've written stating that that isn't my email address, its been pretty much ignored.  If I was going to use a disposable email address, I would not put my own name on it

I'm getting a little sick and tired of some of your moderator personal vendetta's against me and making false accusations is pretty much libel against me.  Clean up your message board site and tell your moderators to stop selling steroids on your site.  It doesn't matter whether they are links to other sites or not, if you keep that shit up there the Feds are going to run a train on your ass.

Even though that's not the reason for these raids, the fact is that the lack of actual leadership on the forums has once again landed them on the front page of the news.  Not only that, the stuff that they were selling was eventually going to be called out as they were obvious designer steroids and the company reps were pushing that stuff hard on those forum.

Deluca, get this through your thick skull.  You were warned and now you have to pay the piper.
A

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
they were just upset about 5 supplements, and had to raid over it?  weird

Weird? If these supps are illegal, and every expert even on bb.com forums has said they are for years, and knowing how much volume bb.com do, how is it weird? If you were selling thousands and thousands of units of 5 different steroids would you be surprised if the authorities showed up at your door?

I've been warning Deluca about this for years and he never listened nor did the moderators nor did the forum administrators.  Here's one of my last communications a couple of months ago.

I would post my experience on Bodyspace however I've been banned by an idiot moderator on your site again because he or she thinks that I've been spamming from an email address   Even though I've written stating that that isn't my email address, its been pretty much ignored.  If I was going to use a disposable email address, I would not put my own name on it

I'm getting a little sick and tired of some of your moderator personal vendetta's against me and making false accusations is pretty much libel against me.  Clean up your message board site and tell your moderators to stop selling steroids on your site.  It doesn't matter whether they are links to other sites or not, if you keep that shit up there the Feds are going to run a train on your ass.

That's not what this is about. This is about being able to order steroids from the bb.com shop.

that happened a looooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooong time ago I think

Nope. Happened just now.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »
Now, everyone, go to the bodybuilding.com's IFBB section and post threads about steroids, the best option is to pretend to sell or buy drugs. Hahas assured.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:45 AM »
Weird? If these supps are illegal, and every expert even on bb.com forums has said they are for years, and knowing how much volume bb.com do, how is it weird? If you were selling thousands and thousands of units of 5 different steroids would you be surprised if the authorities showed up at your door?

That's not what this is about. This is about being able to order steroids from the bb.com shop.

Nope. Happened just now.

I know but those steroid links that the administrators let slide along with the comment that company reps made only added fuel to the fire.  Fact is the FEDS monitor all the bodybuilding forum site.  They have a staff specifically for that job and they post here, on Getbig, on MD, on RX Muscle, etc. 

When you draw so much attention to yourself, eventually you're going to get your picture taken.  I've warned Deluca, Crystal, and other staff personnel at BB.com for many years as it put my affiliate accounts at risk but recently it was cut anyway by the NC Affiliate Tax. 

I'll survive without the BB.com income but Matt C is going to have to get another job
A

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »

I know but those steroid links that the administrators let slide along with the comment that company reps made only added fuel to the fire.  Fact is the FEDS monitor all the bodybuilding forum site.  They have a staff specifically for that job and they post here, on Getbig, on MD, on RX Muscle, etc.  

When you draw so much attention to yourself, eventually you're going to get your picture taken.  I've warned Deluca, Crystal, and other staff personnel at BB.com for many years as it put my affiliate accounts at risk but recently it was cut anyway by the NC Affiliate Tax.  

I'll survive without the BB.com income but Matt C is going to have to get another job

bollox bollox bollox

Don't make it sound like have any "income" of your little page - thats just bollox and I don't believe it for a second.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »

Even though that's not the reason for these raids, the fact is that the lack of actual leadership on the forums has once again landed them on the front page of the news.  Not only that, the stuff that they were selling was eventually going to be called out as they were obvious designer steroids and the company reps were pushing that stuff hard on those forum.

Deluca, get this through your thick skull.  You were warned and now you have to pay the piper.

No wonder he isn't listening to you - nobody does :D I mean you are extremly delusional - not trying to step on your toes here brotha but you need to be told the truth.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »
No wonder he isn't listening to you - nobody does :D I mean you are extremly delusional - not trying to step on your toes here brotha but you need to be told the truth.

You're right, some people think I'm delusional and don't listen to me.....but they all learn the hard way that they are the ones that are delusional.

Deluca would not had raided if they kept their staff in the forums on a lease.  With company reps preaching that their products were steroids was surely to cause this action to be taken.  Now the FEDS are going to grind that company into little pieces and try to shut them down.  I don't think they'll be able to but it will be a serious blow to the company revenue
A

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »

You're right, some people think I'm delusional and don't listen to me.....but they all learn the hard way that they are the ones that are delusional.

Deluca would not had raided if they kept their staff in the forums on a lease.  With company reps preaching that their products were steroids was surely to cause this action to be taken.  Now the FEDS are going to grind that company into little pieces and try to shut them down.  I don't think they'll be able to but it will be a serious blow to the company revenue

"on a lease"?

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
And to think, there are murderers and child rapist out there. This is where our tax dollars are going... ::)
You Can't Do It!!!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:22 AM »

Look I have nothing against you - but I hate people that are full of themself but have fuck all to show for themself....

For god sake would you listen to yourself - Deluca wouldn't have been raided ::) like you tipped the feds off and or better they were knocking on your door begging your to cooperate with them.
Vincent - once and for all understand that in the scheme of things you're such a small little insignificant Dot - nobody in the scene really gives a shit about your opinion and what your concerns are - Deluca is part of a multimillion $ business - you on the other hand are an internet  embarrassment and have a webpage with spelling error ::) (that screams out professionalism) that probably has less income and sales than mine does from advertisement alone - seriously Vince get real smell the coffee and move on

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
According to Chic no one cares about steroids.  So why would feds raid them?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 10:29:01 AM »
Look I have nothing against you - but I hate people that are full of themself but have fuck all to show for themself....

For god sake would you listen to yourself - Deluca wouldn't have been raided ::) like you tipped the feds off and or better they were knocking on your door begging your to cooperate with them.
Vincent - once and for all understand that in the scheme of things you're such a small little insignificant Dot - nobody in the scene really gives a shit about your opinion and what your concerns are - Deluca is part of a multimillion $ business - you on the other hand are an internet  embarrassment and have a webpage with spelling error ::) (that screams out professionalism) that probably has less income and sales than mine does from advertisement alone - seriously Vince get real smell the coffee and move on

I didn't tip off any Feds whatsoever about BB.com or anyone else.... ::) 

First off, you never know how much money someone makes so please don't give me that rubbish.  There
are lots of broke millionaires out there who will disagree with you on that.  Also, just because a company has a lot of advertising doesn't mean that its successful especially with BB.com because its not making the money it used to and now with the FEDS raiding the place, its not going to help out much.  

And please be quiet because you are truly are a nobody.  Scared of your shadow and afraid you'll end up like Pumpster..... ;D

P.S.  I do have an idea as to who's going to be raided next and its prob going to be Species Nutrition
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
P.S.  I didn't tip off any Feds whatsoever about BB.com or anyone else.  But I do have an idea as to who's going to be raided next and its prob going to be Species Nutrition.     

why?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
It's all Bushco's fault....ain't they got nothin' better to do damn it.....he's like Hitler.....Oh, I guess the current admin has the same agenda.  Wonder why we don't have the "cry of outrage" from certain posters like we did when dubya was in office?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »
why?

Because Romano and DA can't keep their mouth's shut.
A

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »
It's all Bushco's fault....ain't they got nothin' better to do damn it.....he's like Hitler.....Oh, I guess the current admin has the same agenda.  Wonder why we don't have the "cry of outrage" from certain posters like we did when dubya was in office?
Good point, Show. But I'm really more worried that the ultimate Olympia Afterparty at Encore, the hottest club in Vegas, may now be in jeopardy. I can't just return my pirate suit.  >:(

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »

Even though that's not the reason for these raids, the fact is that the lack of actual leadership on the forums has once again landed them on the front page of the news.  Not only that, the stuff that they were selling was eventually going to be called out as they were obvious designer steroids and the company reps were pushing that stuff hard on those forum.

Deluca, get this through your thick skull.  You were warned and now you have to pay the piper.

Kindly ShutTheFuckUp will you?  Every time something like this happens you run on here rambling about how you "warned them" and shit.  You haven't done a damn thing.  And if you had, why on earth would anyone even take your warnings or even listen to your stupid ass?  You always try to interject yourself into the situation as if you had some history there or inside knowledge.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »
Good point, Show. But I'm really more worried that the ultimate Olympia Afterparty at Encore, the hottest club in Vegas, may now be in jeopardy. I can't just return my pirate suit.  >:(

I'm sure there will some other spots you can frequent in Vegas and rock the pirate suit.  I'm just going with the puffy shirt and some spandex shorts.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »
I'm sure there will some other spots you can frequent in Vegas and rock the pirate suit.  I'm just going with the puffy shirt and some spandex shorts.
Good point. Maybe I'll drift over to Treasure Island and casino greet.