Author Topic: Biceps Question  (Read 3648 times)

needmoresize

• Getbig II
Biceps Question
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
How do you get the low insertion biceps going? Aloy of my buddies have the early bicep lump by thier elbow joint but my arms are just as big or bigger. Mine dont get big until closer to the middle, so they look thin unless i wear my affliction T's, which i dont own

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Biceps Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »
incline curls and drag curls would help I think. Its most probably genetics though, can't do much about those insertions! but i guess u can try/
follow the arrows

needmoresize

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
Is a drag curl when you bring it up 90 degrees from the ground, straight up and down? God it pisses me off that my bud cant curl even close to the weight, but his arms look better. (but not bigger)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
I always found full range preacher curls reallygot that area of my bicep pumped/sore.  Most people stop short of full extention, pussies.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

needmoresize

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »
Does it have something to do with being tall? Im 6'3"

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:20:37 PM »
Genetics play a bigger role than exercise selection.

I wouldn't mind having a tiny waist. Mine is still too big @ 10% bodyfat.  Even when I get down to 8% it will still be 32" and ripped.

Sux. Ain't nothin I can do except keep it tight and get rid of all the low back fat. I have to be down to 8% or less for that.

Genetics. Why couldn't we choose them ourselves?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
I always found full range preacher curls reallygot that area of my bicep pumped/sore.  Most people stop short of full extention, pussies.

Agreed. That is, only if you're not fucked in the proverbial gene pool to begin with.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 05:38:26 AM »
Genetics is a major factor, but most people can still make some improvements to an area like that.

Try doing some reverse grip EZ bar curls.
They’ve added some decent fullness down there for me and were a favorite of Larry Scott – who wasn’t your average trainer, anyway – for that same reason.

Also consider trying some dumbbell hammer curls - both straight up & cross body to determine if either is more effective.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »
Does it have something to do with being tall? Im 6'3"
No. Just make sure your arms go straight when you curl, so many people stop while their arms are still bent.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
You may also occasionally implement a preacher bench for reverse & hammer work.

Using the 45 deg. angle of the pad, you can lower the weight (while maintaining full tension) to a full extension for a good stretch, per Chaos’ earlier post.
You might be surprised how different it feels starting the movement from that depth & at that angle.

Stop the contraction just before your forearms are perpendicular to the ground so you don’t lose the tension on the muscle.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
You may also occasionally implement a preacher bench for reverse & hammer work.

Using the 45 deg. angle of the pad, you can lower the weight (while maintaining full tension) to a full extension for a good stretch, per Chaos’ earlier post.
You might be surprised how different it feels starting the movement from that depth & at that angle.

Stop the contraction just before your forearms are perpendicular to the ground so you don’t lose the tension on the muscle.

It's alot harder to move the weight from a fully extended point than it is when your arms are still slightly bent.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
Bingo.

The preacher bench is one of my favorite and most underutilized pieces of gym equipment.

Egos & ignorance mean the preacher usually sees less action than Andy Dick’s futon.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
work them heavy and dont cheat the weight up when your arm is fully extended.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
Improving your weight used on wrist curls also helps a lot of guys get “out of the hole” from that outermost extended position.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »
Bingo.

The preacher bench is one of my favorite and most underutilized pieces of gym equipment.

Egos & ignorance mean the preacher usually sees less action than Andy Dick’s futon.

Funny, we have 3 of them, one standing and two seated, they are almost always being used.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »
Maybe it's a West coast thing...

I live over on the other side.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »
Maybe it's a West coast thing...

I live over on the other side.

My condolances.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
 :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
My condolances.

That's the funnah...  :D

needmoresize

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 11:45:45 PM »
Thanks dudes, im thinking im genetically effed in this area but i'll keep up the good fight. The thing is, I do all of that stuff you guys suggested. I think the reverse grips might be my answer

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 05:50:32 AM »
Read over this when you have time:
http://www.larryscott.com/bio/newsletter/97summer_1.cfm

I’ve tried all of these exercises + variations of them.
While I’ve never done them as a superset – or even all in the same workout for that matter – I have gotten favorable results from incorporating them.

They’re not magic, and so don’t be misled by Larry’s rather “flowery” writing style.
Also remember that few people have Scott’s genetics & will respond as he did, so no – this routine will not likely make your biceps pop like his.

Many, if not, most trainers achieve great arm development without ever using any of Larry’s/Vince’s ideas.
For everyone else, maybe they need that “something else” to either break up the stagnation of their progress, or to use consistently because some people just respond better to the less conventional stuff.

The take home message is you don’t know how your body will respond to something until you try it.
And if/when you’re stuck in a rut, anything is worth trying.
What have you got to lose?

needmoresize

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the article. But what i dont understand is, how can he superset all that if all he can muster is 6 reps each, if the weight is getting heavier. Esp the reverse grip.. That was definitely a spot on article for the question i asked though, thanks

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »
half reps at the bottom with a barbell, standing
tank u jesus

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »
Thanks for the article. But what i dont understand is, how can he superset all that if all he can muster is 6 reps each, if the weight is getting heavier. Esp the reverse grip.. That was definitely a spot on article for the question i asked though, thanks

Reread the section where he discusses selecting the appropriate weight to use for each exercise in the triset.

First, select a set of dumbbells you can handle for about 6 reps... a barbell about 70% of the weight of the dumbbells and an EZ curl bar loaded to 80% of the weight of the dumbbells. For example I use 70 lb dumbbells, a 100 lb barbell and 120lb on the EZ curl bar.

You may have to experiment with this some, but Larry’s advice provides you with the general idea. Each preceding movement uses only a percentage of the first.
That adjustment is your allowance for moving through the superset.

lesaucer

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »
GENETICS, most tall guys like you and me have high biceps,quads,etc.. insertion, and we cant do shit about it, it comes with our long bones structure, cant change it, sorry