Author Topic: MOST OVERRATED ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY OF WORLD SPORTS  (Read 14348 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: MOST OVERRATED ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY OF WORLD SPORTS
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
No probs dude. Agree to disagree?

That's correct.  Nothing wrong with that.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
I never said soccer was terrible. I enjoy the World Cup. It's an OK sport. American football is 100x more entertaining.

However, unless it's the world cup or the odd semi-finals or finals of a major league, I find it incredibly boring. I don't see the excitement in watching people kick a ball around a field for 90 minutes without any points being scored. Half the guys spend more time walking around the field than they do actually running.

The acting is entertaining, though. Watching someone get carted off the field after getting bumped into and then sprinting back on 15 seconds later really makes for an entertaining sport. Completely ruins the game.

some very valid points...

spending 2 hours of your time to watch a game that ends 0-0 ::)
massive waste of time. no one gets eliminated, each team gets 1 point.... gee the excitement  :-\

however if a top team meets a lesser team and they toy with them and score like 5 goals, now that is fun.
tank u jesus

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »
If you are asking, have I played it....only when forced to in physical education in school.  ALL real athletes played football, baseball, basketball or ran track where I'm from.  We picked on and made fun of the "soccer fags" as we referred to them.  ;D

Ok. I hope you have grown up. Ooops you haven't.  ;) ;D

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »

massive waste of time. no one gets eliminated, each team gets 1 point.... gee the excitement  :-\

however if a top team meets a lesser team and they toy with them and score like 5 goals, now that is fun.

Yeah of course goal-less games are a bummer. But atleast you don't know it until the game ends, the goal can happen any second.  ;) I hate games where goal/point making is so damn easy it's trivial.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »

massive waste of time. no one gets eliminated, each team gets 1 point.... gee the excitement  :-\

Children have to constantly have something to keep their attention and keep their brain engaged.

Men don't.

100s of points are scored in basketball games. Renders a 'point' worthless. to an extent

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
Children have to constantly have something to keep their attention and keep their brain engaged.

Men don't.

100s of points are scored in basketball games. Renders a 'point' worthless. to an extent

Some of the best football games have been low-scoring, defensive games where big hits and goal line stands were the focal points.

Hundreds of points are scored in rugby, another European favorite. Does that sport suck like basketball?

Interestingly enough, America has the 11th ranked team in the FIFA Soccer rankings. 11th in the world in a sport we suck at. Ranked higher than all but 8 European countries.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Fifa rankings mean jack shit to a large extent

The teams in their federation are tiny centeral american countries.

NOONE claimed that europe was the best at football or rugby. That was you who implied we did. You dont have to be teh best in the world at a sport - only one country per sport is the best in the world.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »
Fifa rankings mean jack shit to a large extent

The teams in their federation are tiny centeral american countries.

NOONE claimed that europe was the best at football or rugby. That was you who implied we did. You dont have to be teh best in the world at a sport - only one country per sport is the best in the world.

The FIFA rankings have every European and South American team on them. World rankings usually involve teams across the globe, not "tiny central american countries". Interesting how our third-tier athletes are capable of beating the #1 ranked team in the world in June.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2009, 02:33:46 PM »
UEFA is teh governing body for Europe

CONCACAF I think is the federation of centeral and N america. The USA is in north america.

Your absolute lack of knowledge on this subject is magnified right there., You dont klnow what you are talking about

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »
Ok. I hope you have grown up. Ooops you haven't.  ;) ;D

NEVER !!!!!  ;D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
These are the teams in USA's federation

North American Zone (NAFU)
 Canada
  Mexico
  United States

Central American Zone (UNCAF)
 Belize
 Costa Rica
 El Salvador
  Guatemala
 Honduras
  Nicaragua
 Panama

Caribbean Zone (CFU)
 Anguilla
 Antigua and Barbuda
 Aruba
 Bahamas
 Barbados
 Bermuda
 British Virgin Islands
 Cayman Islands
 Cuba
 Dominica
  Dominican Republic
 French Guiana
 Grenada
 Guadeloupe
 Guyana
 Haiti
 Jamaica
 Martinique
 Montserrat
 Netherlands Antilles
  Puerto Rico
 Saint Kitts and Nevis
 Saint Lucia
 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
 Saint-Martin
 Sint Maarten
 Suriname
 Trinidad and Tobago
 Turks and Caicos Islands
 U.S. Virgin Islands

The standard is much lower in this federation and the best team will win more matches get more points to help increase their rankings than say a team in europe. Less decent teams to challenge.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »
UEFA is teh governing body for Europe

CONCACAF I think is the federation of centeral and N america. The USA is in north america.

Your absolute lack of knowledge on this subject is magnified right there., You dont klnow what you are talking about

Did I ever claim to know what I was talking about when it comes to what federation governs what? I couldn't give two flying fucks about what rankings are considered legitimate and what aren't. You and the other Europeans continue to ignore the fact that the shitty USA team destroyed Spain, who was ranked #1 in the world at the time. Our team of third-tier athletes who couldn't hack it among the country's best beat the supposed European juggernaut.

It's a good thing that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to any sport besides soccer. But try to make another argument around how "scoring lots of points makes scoring points useless".  ::)

Let's just agree to disagree. This argument is going nowhere and is a gigantic waste of time.

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
What's cheaper to play soccer or stick ball?  Oh hold on........this just in. ...........soccer sucks!!!!! :D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
Did I ever claim to know what I was talking about when it comes to what federation governs what? I couldn't give two flying fucks about what rankings are considered legitimate and what aren't. You and the other Europeans continue to ignore the fact that the shitty USA team destroyed Spain, who was ranked #1 in the world at the time. Our team of third-tier athletes who couldn't hack it among the country's best beat the supposed European juggernaut.

It's a good thing that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to any sport besides soccer. But try to make another argument around how "scoring lots of points makes scoring points useless".  ::)

Let's just agree to disagree. This argument is going nowhere and is a gigantic waste of time.

Ina  game where 3 goals are scored. A goal is a special event. In a 92-89 game a point is less important - u are stupid you cant realise this?

Yes they beat them - what is your point? Even the top teams lose.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »

Men don't.

yeah that must be it ::) the fact that the entertainment value is equal to watching paint dry has nothing to do with it...

I remember the WC final in 94, got insomnia? this is the cure. lights out before 1st half is over. And it's the friggen WORLD CUP FINAL, not a meaningless league game.

EDIT:

do you seriously mean you'd rather see a game end 0-0 or 1-0 than 5-0 or 5-3 etc  ???
tank u jesus

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
watching football can be unbearably boring

ardent fans will say the close goals and the excitement and oooo and ahhh of the odd goal makes up for it but in reality it doesn't.

90mins where the ball for the large majority of time is literally passed backwards and forwards is not my idea of entertainment

and another problem with football is the fans. Over here in england teh majority of them are what we call - scum.

Football - gentlemen's game played by thugs

Rugby - thugs game played by gentlemen

body88

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
Ina  game where 3 goals are scored. A goal is a special event. In a 92-89 game a point is less important - u are stupid you cant realise this?

Yes they beat them - what is your point? Even the top teams lose.

You're trying your best to justify a sport that can be boring as hell.  Just accept it, Goudy.  Points are just as important in 92-89 game of basketball, because at the end of the game, a three point shot can tie that game and send it into overtime.  Points scored means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a big soccer fan, and I'm first to admit that many matches are very boring. Europeans are conditioned to this from a young age.  Soccer is all about pride for your country/team and the spectacle of the match.  Honestly, people care more about waving their flags and singing their songs, which project national pride, than the actual match.

I like you Goudy, but your ignorance of other sports (your biggest failure in many arguments - ignorance of how things work in places other than Europe) is your downfall, at times.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »
You're trying your best to justify a sport that can be boring as hell.  Just accept it, Goudy.  Points are just as important in 92-89 game of basketball, because at the end of the game, a three point shot can tie that game and send it into overtime.  Points scored means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a big soccer fan, and I'm first to admit that many matches are very boring. Europeans are conditioned to this from a young age.  Soccer is all about pride for your country/team and the spectacle of the match.  Honestly, people care more about waving their flags and singing their songs, which project national pride, than the actual match.

I like you Goudy, but your ignorance of other sports (your biggest failure in many arguments - ignorance of how things work in places other than Europe) is your downfall, at times.

Tried to be nice but still brutal.

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »
Villareal? ;D

Please.

He's carrying water bottles at the great club of Belenenses, in Portugal.

Played 45 minutes so far.

why did the  American media such a big deal about this Freddy Adu character here in america.  The built the guys hopes up so much that he thought he could play at Manchester united or Real Madrid.  :o

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »

why did the  American media such a big deal about this Freddy Adu character here in america.  The built the guys hopes up so much that he thought he could play at Manchester united or Real Madrid.  :o

No one in the US gives a shit about soccer. Those who do care, make up less than 1% of the population
U

alejandro_torres

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »
riquelme owns beckham...

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2009, 02:15:52 AM »
Kournikova.

Then nobody else.

Then perhaps that douche that fought Cyborg, what's her name, Carano?

Donnie Baseball comes to mind. Good player. But no legend IMO.

Freddy Adu and Frank Lampard also makes the short list.

Frank Lampard gets man of the match in almost every game he plays
And having the character to score that penalty in the champions league semi final 2yrs ago the day after his mother died was amazing

spinnis

« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:01 AM »
Football can be boring?

We get Superbowl for free in sweden and I had to turn it Off because it was so boring.
Run 10 yards, drop the "boll", rest 5 min start all over, run 20 yards, fall get a bunch a dudes on top of you, rest 5 min start over.

etc etc etc

They rules should be changes though, making it a bit tougher because the referee can ruin a match just blowing the damn thing for every little shit that happends, thats the only thing that bothers me.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »
soccer is much too euro for my liking. Plus it is boring as shit. I might watch a game if Australia makes the world cup again, but other than that, i would rather watch paint dry.
No doubt about it...

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2009, 04:18:26 AM »

You forgot to mention that the fans of American rugby are conditioned in a same way.  ::)