Author Topic: Headaches during and after workout  (Read 15615 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
Headaches during and after workout
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »
Hey getbiggers,

About once a year I get a sudden headache while lifting.  Usually it happens during a high-rep movement, and I can pinpoint the exact moment it onsets.  Seems to be associated with holding my breath, which I try not to do but forget often.  It will persist for the rest of the workout, but will vanish afterwards and usually goes away by the next day.

This time however has been different.  About two weeks ago, I got a bad headache during the 15th rep or so of a 20-rep squat set.  Finished the set, took a long rest, finished my workout without any terrible discomfort.  For the rest of the week during my workouts, the headache would come back, always when squatting and sometimes when doing other stuff.  It would persist for the rest of the day.  I took all of last week off (no lifting) and felt great today, but again got the headache this afternoon doing leg presses, and again it has persisted into the evening.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?  I'm thinking I ought to see a doctor at this point, since it's been a couple weeks with evidently no improvements :(

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Headaches during and after workout
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:06 AM »
It does seem like it could have something to do w/holding your breath.

Can you try to purposely before each and every set be determined to breathe correctly?  Maybe you can get into that habit if you do it for awhile.

Does the headache occur when you are breathing correctly also?  I think it's worth it to pay close attention....I don't think that headache should be lasting all day.
R

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »
It occurs when I'm breathing normally now (i.e. not holding breath), but only on certain lifts (namely squatting and rowing).  I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow so we'll see what they say  :)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
It occurs when I'm breathing normally now (i.e. not holding breath), but only on certain lifts (namely squatting and rowing).  I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow so we'll see what they say  :)

Hope it's nothing serious!  
R

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
Could be aids.

But its possible you pushed too hard and burst a nerve, which can be corrected by breathing properly, i.e. not grunting too hard but exhaling out. Brother had impaired peripheral vision after a set of 20 repper leg presses once, not sure if he had a headache though. gotta be careful with those things, maybe you're not suited to high reps. hope its nothing serious, let us know what the doctor tell you, good luck!
follow the arrows

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »
do you currently take any NO products? If so lower dosage a tad and increase water intake....and yes ....incorporate breathing into your workouts.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
Update: went to a doctor at my university's health services yesterday.  She ruled out an aneurysm since it doesn't hurt when I run, which is nice, and also ruled out any major cerebellar disorders.  Her conclusion was that it is likely a "muscle tension" headache (never heard that term before) and gave me some pain meds, which seem to be helping things.  I was able to do a 23-set pushing workout today without any headache during or after, although none of the lifts I did were ones that were causing me to have headaches previously (squats, rows).

No NO products for me (I actually don't even take protein supps; never found much benefit from them).  I drank a lot of water today (about three liters) and made a point to breath deeply and steadily on every rep.  Thanks for the advice!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 07:07:44 AM »
Update: went to a doctor at my university's health services yesterday.  She ruled out an aneurysm since it doesn't hurt when I run, which is nice, and also ruled out any major cerebellar disorders.  Her conclusion was that it is likely a "muscle tension" headache (never heard that term before) and gave me some pain meds, which seem to be helping things.  I was able to do a 23-set pushing workout today without any headache during or after, although none of the lifts I did were ones that were causing me to have headaches previously (squats, rows).

No NO products for me (I actually don't even take protein supps; never found much benefit from them).  I drank a lot of water today (about three liters) and made a point to breath deeply and steadily on every rep.  Thanks for the advice!

So glad to hear it's not serious!! :)
R

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 07:40:50 AM »
Might also consider a few deep muscle massages. Spotting around the neck and traps muscles. Even the lower back could be involved. That could cause a tension headache. Thinking that the bar on the shoulders when squatting may pinch one of the nerves in that area, but you said headaches can happen when rowing and leg pressing. May also be that the spine is out of line, including neck (very common), which may need adjustments now and than. Something simple like stretching the neck from side to side, neck circles or back and forth may help before hitting a set.

Extended, heavy or forced breathing can cause headaches (some poor guy's get headaches when into heavy sex..worth the pain I would think). Might want to take 2 or 3 deep breaths between each rep of squats, for example, so a oxygen debt is not the problem. Actually too many deep breaths can make some people dizzy and blackout. A few find that happens when doing heavy breathing while doing the 20 rep breathing squat exercise. Like most every thing in life, some where in the middle can offer the best solution. Good Luck.
F

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »
Thanks for the tips jpm, I will give those a try.  I'll probably hold off on any more 20-rep squats for a while, although I loved the program (made some good gains).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »
I gained almost 30lb, at 16 years old, with a program of heavy breathing squats (ended the last few reps with 7 or 8 very deep breaths between reps). But must be approached with serious intent. Lot of football players, who have to gain 10 to 15lbs in a hurry, do this type of program.

Might check out a deep sports massage first. Than go from there. Just my view, that's all. Good Luck.
F

jbflift

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
Grinding teeth?  Try a mouth piece or chew gum. see if that helps.