Author Topic: TNA News:  (Read 158919 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: TNA is on MONDAYS??!?!?!?!?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
Hogan said he wants to do there the same thing he did in WCW.
That all sounds good except for the part about nosediving the product to the point that it was beyond repair.

Hogan needs some control – whether it’s self-exercised, or from above.
And from what little I’ve heard regarding his deal with the Carter’s, it sounds as if he’s gonna have absolute power.

Here’s my much longer and detailed take on this angle from a few weeks ago:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=307871.msg4396629#msg4396629

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
IMO the same thing will happen with Hogan like it has in WWF, WCW, WWE... egos will get in the way of good business and he'll be gone by summer with Dixie left holding the bag. Right now, TNA isn't a pimple on Vince's ass. According to him RVD, Flair , and Hall will be with him although this is Hogan so take what you will from it. IF the older guys stay out of the way and let Styles, Joe, Daniels etc.. work then in time i think it will work. They have the talent, they just need names an his is the biggest in the business.

I was surprised because on Thursday, they mentioned WWE by name, so they're serious. Hopefully 3 months from Hogan won't be legdropping Matt Morgan and posing to a "Real American" knockoff. I hope it works out, Dixie has invested a lot of her $$$.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »
There might be something to that.
Think about this:
Turner put other people in charge of his company and his checkbook. That was his biggest downfall – if you’re gonna blame anyone for WCW’s demise, blame him. He’s the one who okayed all that stuff that Russo & Bischoff did.

This time around, Hogan may have all the backstage clout, but maybe Dixie will be the one to ultimately green-light things.
She doesn’t have Ted’s net worth, and has a lot of her own money riding on the line here. She can’t afford to lose on this deal.

If she takes on the role of a hands on owner (as she should) then she will be the system of checks & balances that Hogan & co. need to avoid a repeated tailspin.

Every one of those guys needs that order.
The owner needs to be the one to step in when needed and tell people, “NO.”

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:17 PM »
There might be something to that.
Think about this:
Turner put other people in charge of his company and his checkbook. That was his biggest downfall – if you’re gonna blame anyone for WCW’s demise, blame him. He’s the one who okayed all that stuff that Russo & Bischoff did.

This time around, Hogan may have all the backstage clout, but maybe Dixie will be the one to ultimately green-light things.
She doesn’t have Ted’s net worth, and has a lot of her own money riding on the line here. She can’t afford to lose on this deal.

If she takes on the role of a hands on owner (as she should) then she will be the system of checks & balances that Hogan & co. need to avoid a repeated tailspin.

Every one of those guys needs that order.
The owner needs to be the one to step in when needed and tell people, “NO.”

What exactly is Dixie's background as a wrestling creative person?

Is she really qualified to judge whether one of Hogan's ideas is good or bad?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 07:28:33 AM »
TBH – I don’t know much about her because I follow very little of today’s programming.
Years ago, it took someone with some type of wrestling background to run a promotion.

It still does.

However, wrestling has evolved so much and involves so many other aspects that you need people in a Bischoff role, writers, and many other personnel to run things.

Hogan & Eric, etc. can handle the wrestling end, but they need a voice of business sense (presumably Dixie) to keep things in check from a story line AND financial standpoint.

Ted Turner couldn’t run WCW himself.
I doubt that Dixie can run TNA alone.
But Ted’s biggest mistake was that he wasn’t involved enough in his own product/company.
In fact, he had NO IDEA what was going on in WCW.

If she simply looks at & follows the ratings, she'll know if what they're doing is working.
If she pays attention to her product and identifies what the fans like, she'll learn pretty quick.

Then when Hogan (or whoever) starts dropping the ball, she'll know it's time to take some kind of action - i.e. putting someone else in charge of creative: like Russo. ;D

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 07:56:48 AM »
I mean he has to wear the bandana. But are they gonna make a completely new Hulkster? Besides bringing attention to TNA when he first arrives. Whats this gut gonna do? He cannot wrestle anymore. No offense to Hulkster. Whats he gonna do create another new stable of his own and never get in the ring? Are we gonna see him fued with Sting again? When does this new Monday night show begin? Tomorrow?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 08:07:50 AM »
What exactly is Dixie's background as a wrestling creative person?

None really. She's a business woman who happens to be involved in wrestling. She also doesn't have the best filters around her.

When does this new Monday night show begin? Tomorrow?
January.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:27 AM »
So the way I am reading it its just a one time special? Maybe a test run for spike?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 09:41:28 AM »
My main concern is that it's gonna turn into The Hulk Hogan and Friends Show, where all the younger talent will be relegated to lower card and squash matches, and over the hill guys like Sting and Hall will be stumbling around fighting Hogan for the title.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
I'm surprised at how (relatively) old the roster is

3-20-59 Sting
7-9-59 Kevin Nash
7-29-62 Scott Steiner
11-11-63 Kip James
9-8-64 Raven
6-7-65 Mick Foley
7-14-67 Jeff Jarrett
12-9-68 Kurt Angle
3-24-71 Daniels
7-14-71 Brother Ray
11-9-71 Dr. Steive
8-1-72 Brother Devon
11-1-72 Doug Williams
2-11-73 Hernandez
3-23-73 Tomko
10-4-73 Abyss
1-28-75 Shark Boy
10-7-75 Rhino
7-16-76 Bobby Lashley
9-10-76 Matt Morgan
3-20-77 Homicide
5-11-77 Robert Roode
6-1-77 James Storm
8-4-77 Suicide
1-23-78 Desmond Wolfe
5-24-78 D'Angelo Dinero
6-2-78 AJ Styles
7-17-78 Kiyoshi
3-17-79 Samoa Joe
12-15-79 Eric Young
5-16-81 Cody Deaner
2-4-82 Chris Sabin
4-26-82 Amazing Red
5-23-83 Alex Shelly
2-30-84 Sheik Abdul Bashir
4-21-85 Jay Lethal
11-4-86 Consequences Creed
11-6-86 Brutus Magnus

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »
My main concern is that it's gonna turn into The Hulk Hogan and Friends Show, where all the younger talent will be relegated to lower card and squash matches, and over the hill guys like Sting and Hall will be stumbling around fighting Hogan for the title.
This is what I think is gonna happen as well. Unless Hogan is the bait to make more Federation stars jump ship?

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »
Wow your right the guys are pretty old at TNA. I guess all the people we think of as the young guns that made TNA famous have actually been in the sport for almost ten years now. Funny how time flys.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
I'm surprised at how (relatively) old the roster is

3-20-59 Sting
7-9-59 Kevin Nash
7-29-62 Scott Steiner
11-11-63 Kip James
9-8-64 Raven
6-7-65 Mick Foley
7-14-67 Jeff Jarrett
12-9-68 Kurt Angle
3-24-71 Daniels
7-14-71 Brother Ray
11-9-71 Dr. Steive
8-1-72 Brother Devon
11-1-72 Doug Williams
2-11-73 Hernandez
3-23-73 Tomko
10-4-73 Abyss
1-28-75 Shark Boy
10-7-75 Rhino
7-16-76 Bobby Lashley
9-10-76 Matt Morgan
3-20-77 Homicide
5-11-77 Robert Roode
6-1-77 James Storm
8-4-77 Suicide
1-23-78 Desmond Wolfe
5-24-78 D'Angelo Dinero
6-2-78 AJ Styles
7-17-78 Kiyoshi
3-17-79 Samoa Joe
12-15-79 Eric Young
5-16-81 Cody Deaner
2-4-82 Chris Sabin
4-26-82 Amazing Red
5-23-83 Alex Shelly
2-30-84 Sheik Abdul Bashir
4-21-85 Jay Lethal
11-4-86 Consequences Creed
11-6-86 Brutus Magnus

some of these ages shock me , i guess wrestling really ages a man. i was one of the biggest supporters of this show on this board early on that being said last week's show really sucked, if this is the start of hogan's influence on the show send him packing before he ruins it like he did to wcw. say no wat brutha to hogan.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: TNA...Hogan...New Monday Night Wars...Updates:
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 06:35:36 PM »
F.Y.I. - I’ve merged & stickied the following 3 threads:

Hulk Hogan signing with TNA!
New Monday Night War?
TNA is on MONDAYS??!?!?!?!?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »
Lance Storm discusses Hulk Hogan's return:

credit: http://www.stormwrestling.com/121009.html

Booking Hulk Hogan
December 10, 2009

After watching Hulk Hogan make the announcement about TNA going to Monday night on January 4th at the UFC Fight Night Finally show, I started to wonder about Hulk Hogan and what kind of Impact he can really make in 2009. As I watched his interview with Joe Rogan I got the impression that Rogan did not want to be doing the interview and he thought Hulk Hogan and all of his “Brother” this and “Brother” that was a bit silly. Maybe I was reading Joe wrong or maybe he’s just not a pro-wrestling fan but I started wondering if Hogan might not be better served, at this point in his life, to ditch the Hulk Hogan shtick altogether.

Now I’m not saying he should shave his mustache off and cut his hair, I’m just suggesting he might be able to make a bigger impact in TNA if he reinvented himself and dropped the Hulk Hogan character and present himself as more of a real person.

Let’s be honest, the Hulk Hogan character with his “What you gonna do…” and “Let me tell you something Brother” is 25 years old. It was the hottest act in town for a long, long time, and resulted in the first big boom in wrestling history. After his near decade long run, as the Hulkster, it had run its course, and was losing popularity. Hogan then made another huge impact in the business when he reinvented himself by turning heel and forming the NWO in WCW. This led into the Monday Night Wars and another monster boom in the wrestling business.

After the NWO and Hogan’s heel run, ran its course and WCW lost the Monday Night War to Vince McMahon, Hogan made one more major comeback run in WWE. This was when I got to work with the Hulkster and it was a lot of fun and the guy was still crazy over. I think this return was a success because fans viewed it as a bit of a reunion tour. It was the Hulkster back in the WWE where he belonged, back in the Red and Yellow, and a chance for everyone to see the Baby Face Hogan we all knew and loved one more time.

So fast forward now to January 2010, Hulk Hogan is in his later 50 and trying to make another impact. What can you possibly do with Hulk Hogan in 2010 that will seem fresh and exciting especially when you consider the fact that he can’t physically wrestle much anymore. That’s when I got the idea of Hulk Hogan reinventing himself, one more time, by dropping the Hulk Hogan shtick and presenting himself as real person.

This would be a Hulk Hogan we have never seen before, and presenting him in a serious role would add credibility and realism to the TNA vs WWE war they are trying to present to us. So far all the media he has done has been focusing on his “partnership” with TNA and the fact that he is being brought in to “Run the Company”. So if he isn’t going to be an in ring performer, why keep the in ring character? Hogan coming to TNA will make a much bigger impact if it feels different and new, and dropping the Hulk Hogan shtick would be monumental. It will be a brand new, never seen before, Hulk Hogan.

If he drops the in ring character it should also relieve some of the pressure he is going to be under to wrestle again. If it’s the same old Hogan, the question everyone is going to be asking is when is he going to wrestle? Everything he does is going to be over shadowed by, “When is the Hulkster stepping back in the ring?” If they present a serious business man side to the Hulkster who is in TNA to lend his 30 years of experience to the company, fans may accept him in that role and not immediately expect him to wrestle.

Even more so, when the time does comes for him to step back in the ring (and we all know he is going to) his return will mean so much more because not only will he be stepping back in the ring, it will be the return of the old Hulk Hogan character, which we haven’t seen in while. When he finally takes off the suit and becomes the Hulkster again and starts taking about his Hulkamaniacs and running wide on people, it will stand out and be different from the Hulk Hogan we’ve seen on the show the last 6 – 12 months.

Hogan’s return to the ring needs to be on PPV so this would be a way to make the Impact shows building to the PPV seem like a big deal. They could be the return of the Hulkster, the return of Hulkamania, the return of the whacky and crazy Hulk Hogan promos we all know and love and remember fondly. This way we get the addition of the NEW Hulk Hogan to TNA, which might make an impact, the return of the Hulkster and his trademark promos when the time is right, along with his eventual return to the ring on PPV. Three potential impacts for the price of one!

That’s my two cents, and what I would do if I was booking Hulk Hogan. I ‘m not saying it would work, but I think it stands as good a chance as anything else.

Lance Storm 

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »
TNA is slowly climbing as people are getting fed up with the WWE's lame storylines and the same old fueds. Their division is amazing and their divas are more schooled in the ring and better looking too. They will still need a few years to really be able to keep up with WWE but thats how the old WCW was. Plus TNA does not have non-wrestling people working there. They are all old schooled wrestling related people. A major plus.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
Monday, January 4...
Tonight's the "big" night.

I'm really hoping that at least one of these shows will be worth watching.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »
Monday, January 4...
Tonight's the "big" night.

I'm really hoping that at least one of these shows will be worth watching.

Yeah, me too.  Unfortunately we don't get TNA live over here, so I'll have to wait a couple of days before it gets shown.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »
I got a good feeling about TNA tonight. WWE has NOTHING to offer except the return of Bret Hart, which doesn't really excite me. Not that the return of Hogan does either its just what other changes may/will take place and hopefully who else comes out with him.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
I got a good feeling about TNA tonight. WWE has NOTHING to offer except the return of Bret Hart, which doesn't really excite me. Not that the return of Hogan does either its just what other changes may/will take place and hopefully who else comes out with him.
Agreed here. They can really work some good story lines around this. I still predict that leading up to WM, you will see a Vince - Hart fued where they will each pick a wrestler to represent them. Vince will pick HHH and Hart will pick....Shawn Michaels to face eachother. That will be a big mania match if there is one.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
But didnt they already say HBK would fight in a rematch against taker maybe they said that at the slammys or something. I think they will go with hart vs mcmahon. Just have a street fight or something.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
Tonight is game on so far. Showing the fans ideas is great. You say what your gonna do and call vince out without really saying it yourself. The card is great. Get people watching with what should be an awesome X division match, show the new viewers what TNA is really about, tag team match should show TNA has awesome tag teams with gimmicks that are actually pretty cool. The womens match will show the world what REAL female wrestling is about not the diva bull shit. Hopefully they go all out with Abyss vs Rhino. Blood, blood, blood. It needs to be on edge and VERY hardcore.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »
Hell yeah Jeff Hardy, they need to let him and Homicide tear the house down.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
Good stuff, not a hardy fan but its big for TNA. Hardy has a huge fan following.