Author Topic: Bob Cicherillo question...  (Read 28313 times)

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
Re: Bob Cicherillo question...
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
Actually that is not entirely true.  If one has not been training for a long period of time, or if their muscle has degenerated due to environmental conditions, different exercises will certainly cause more hormone response than others.

For instance, NASA has tested the efficacy of barbell squats versus leg extensions on returning astronauts and found the hormone response to be varied greatly.

Bob certainly doesn't need me to speak for him, but comparing the efficacy of solely doing leg extensions vs. doing barbell squats is downright silly.  Now, if NASA had compared barbell squats vs. a program of leg extensions/leg press/hack squats (or some variation threof), then you'd have a study.  

I'm surprised people are actually trying to make weight training into rocket science.  It ain't.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:16 AM »
Harris Tweed, Pringle Cashmere, Bespoke Kassner with Turnbull and Asser tie.

Haha, meanwhile back in the physics dept...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:27 AM »
Harris Tweed, Pringle Cashmere, Bespoke Kassner with Turnbull and Asser tie.

Awesome...next time I have a need to look like a Professor Higgins, I'll take your advices!

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »
some of you guys can't read.  Bob did not say squats suck.  He stated that they are a bad idea for taller guys and I agree.  Even naturally squatting at my height I cannot help but lean forward.  A long torso doesn't allow you to maintain that natural curve as it would some 5'1" midget who can stay straight throughout.

Maybe if you have unusual proportions that mostly come with a frame well over 6', a clear minority at the gym. Most superheavyweight weightlifters are over 6' and they squat just fine in upright fashion, I have never heard of a lifter that complained that a backsquat wasn't for him. All weightlifters do them, and to hit the quads specifically.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »
Awesome...next time I have a need to look like a Professor Higgins, I'll take your advices!

Are you saying that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »
i think bob prefers to WATCH others squat. . .

io856

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »
i think bob prefers to WATCH others squat. . .
Bob has a nice watch

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
hahahaha classic

Bob treated the gym like a social club while guys like Ronnie, Shawn, Kevin, Nasser, Dorian, gh15 treated it like a time to bust their asses and work hard. The proof is in the physiques. Tom Prince even said Bob would never go to failure.

No, you don't need to do all the exercises on the list... but for the most part stick with the basics.
Unlike Toms kidneys

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
J Appl Physiol 74: 882-887, 1993;
8750-7587/93

Articles by Hakkinen, K.
    Articles by Pakarinen, A.
Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 74, Issue 2 882-887, Copyright © 1993 by American Physiological Society

ARTICLES

Acute hormonal responses to two different fatiguing heavy-resistance protocols in male athletes

K. Hakkinen and A. Pakarinen
Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland.

To examine endogenous hormonal responses to heavy-resistance exercise, ten male strength athletes performed two fatiguing but different types of sessions on separate days. In session A the loads for the leg extensor muscles in the squat-lift exercise were maximal so that the subjects performed 20 sets at 1 repetition maximum (RM) (20 x 1 RM x 100%), whereas during session B the loads were submaximal (70%) but the subjects performed each of the 10 sets until the RM (i.e., 10 repetitions/set or 10 x 10 x 70%). The recovery time between the sets was always 3 min. A decrease of 10.3 +/- 4.7% (P < 0.001) occurred in the squat-lift in 1 RM during session A, whereas session B led to a decrease of 24.6 +/- 18.9% (P < 0.001) in 10 RM. Increases in the concentrations of serum total and free testosterone (P < 0.05 and 0.05, respectively), cortisol (P < 0.001), and growth hormone (GH, P < 0.001) were observed during session B, whereas the corresponding changes during session A were statistically insignificant except for the relatively slight increase (P < 0.01) in serum GH level. The significant (P < 0.001) increase in blood lactate concentration during the two sessions correlated significantly (P < 0.01) with the increase in serum GH concentration. The morning values of serum testosterone and free testosterone were significantly (P < 0.05-0.001) lowered on the 1st and 2nd rest days after the sessions.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
W. P. VanHelder1, 2, K. Casey1, 2 and M. W. Radomski1, 2

(1)    Department of Physiology, and the School of Physical and Health Education, University of Toronto, Canada
(2)    Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, P. O. Box 2000, M3M 3B9, Ontario, Canada
Accepted: 22 May 1987 

Summary  Five normal men performed seven sets of seven squats at a load equal to 80% of their seven repetition maximum. Plasma growth hormone (GH) and lactate levels increased during and after the completion of the exercise. A significant (r=0.93, P<0.001) linear correlation was found between GH changes and the corresponding oxygen Demand/Availability (D/A) ratio expressed by  (where f=[lactate at time x]/[lactate at time 0]). A retrospective examination of previously published data from our laboratory and others also demonstrated the existence of a significant correlation between changes in plasma GH levels and the D/A ratios over a wide variety of exercise; aerobic and anaerobic, continuous and intermittent, weight lifting and cycling, in both fit and unfit subjects under normoxic and hypoxic conditions. It is suggested that the balance between oxygen demand and availability may be an important regulator of GH secretion during exercise.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:43 AM »
J Appl Physiol 74: 882-887, 1993;
8750-7587/93

Articles by Hakkinen, K.
    Articles by Pakarinen, A.
Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 74, Issue 2 882-887, Copyright © 1993 by American Physiological Society

ARTICLES

Acute hormonal responses to two different fatiguing heavy-resistance protocols in male athletes

K. Hakkinen and A. Pakarinen
Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland.

To examine endogenous hormonal responses to heavy-resistance exercise, ten male strength athletes performed two fatiguing but different types of sessions on separate days. In session A the loads for the leg extensor muscles in the squat-lift exercise were maximal so that the subjects performed 20 sets at 1 repetition maximum (RM) (20 x 1 RM x 100%), whereas during session B the loads were submaximal (70%) but the subjects performed each of the 10 sets until the RM (i.e., 10 repetitions/set or 10 x 10 x 70%). The recovery time between the sets was always 3 min. A decrease of 10.3 +/- 4.7% (P < 0.001) occurred in the squat-lift in 1 RM during session A, whereas session B led to a decrease of 24.6 +/- 18.9% (P < 0.001) in 10 RM. Increases in the concentrations of serum total and free testosterone (P < 0.05 and 0.05, respectively), cortisol (P < 0.001), and growth hormone (GH, P < 0.001) were observed during session B, whereas the corresponding changes during session A were statistically insignificant except for the relatively slight increase (P < 0.01) in serum GH level. The significant (P < 0.001) increase in blood lactate concentration during the two sessions correlated significantly (P < 0.01) with the increase in serum GH concentration. The morning values of serum testosterone and free testosterone were significantly (P < 0.05-0.001) lowered on the 1st and 2nd rest days after the sessions.

Ive seen your pictures...you'll need more than the ability to cut and paste to make me believe you have any credible knowledge of training/ bodybuilding....

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:37 AM »

Ive seen your pictures...you'll need more than the ability to cut and paste to make me believe you have any credible knowledge of training/ bodybuilding....
Bob,will I go pro?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:35 AM »

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2009, 07:52:42 AM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »
Fuck this thread is just limping along now.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:04 AM »
Leslie A. Consitt1, 2 , Richard J. Bloomer1, 3 and Laurie Wideman1

(1)    Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC 27402-6169, USA
(2)    Human Performance Laboratory and Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, 363 Ward Sports Medicine Building, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
(3)    Present address: Department of Health and Sport Sciences, The University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152-3480, USA
Accepted: 15 February 2007  Published online: 15 March 2007

Abstract  The purpose of this study was to compare the growth hormone (GH) response, including the immunfunctional (IF) GH response, between an acute bout of aerobic and resistance exercise in the same subjects. Ten cross-trained males (24.3 ± 1.2 years) performed both 30 min of continuous cycling at 70% of VO2max, and intermittent free weight squatting at 70% of 1-RM, in a randomly assigned crossover design, separated by at least 1 week. Blood samples were collected at 10-min intervals for 2 h (30 min rest, 30 min exercise, 60 min recovery) and analyzed for total human and IF GH. After adjusting for the amount of work performed per minute of exercise, integrated GH AUC was significantly greater during the resistance session than the aerobic session as measured by both the total and IF GH assays (P = 0.008 and P = 0.014, respectively). Peak GH concentrations were significantly greater during the resistance session than the aerobic session (P = 0.05). A similar overall GH pattern was observed in response to both types of exercise, with peak values occurring at the end of exercise, regardless of the GH assay used. These data demonstrate that in young, cross-trained males, intermittent resistance exercise elicits a greater response of GH, including IF GH, compared to a continuous aerobic session, when controlling for the work performed per minute, intersubject variability, relative exercise intensity and session duration.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:32 AM »
I fit perfectly in a 42 or 44 if on a Vintage pattern...

Brutal 14 year old boy physique. Nothing screams twink more than a 150 lb schmoe giving advices on heavy training.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2009, 07:57:04 AM »
Hormonal Responses to Resistance Exercise in Long-Term Trained and Untrained Middle-Aged Men
Cadore, Eduardo Lusa; Lhullier, Francisco Luiz Rodrigues; Brentano, Michel Arias; Silva, Eduardo Marczwski da; Ambrosini, Melissa Bueno; Spinelli, Rafael; Silva, Rodrigo Ferrari; Kruel, Luiz Fernando Martins
Abstract
Cadore, EL, Lhullier, FLR, Brentano, MA, Silva, EM, Ambrosini, MB, Spinelli, R, Silva, RF, and Kruel, LFM. Hormonal responses to resistance exercise in long-term trained and untrained middle-aged men. J Strength Cond Res 22(5): 1617-1624, 2008-This cross-sectional study compared hormonal responses to resistance exercise between trained and untrained men to investigate the adaptations of the endocrine system to long-term strength training in middle-aged men. Twenty-one middle-aged men were recruited for this study and matched into a strength-trained group (SG) (n = 10) and an untrained group (UG) (n = 11). In the SG, the individuals had practiced strength training for hypertrophy for at least 3 years. Upper- and lower-body muscle strength was measured with a 1 repetition maximum (1RM) test. Blood samples were collected at rest and after multiple sets of a superset strength training protocol (SSTP), with an intensity of 75% of 1RM values. With these blood samples, the levels of total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), cortisol, and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) were determined. In addition, the TT-to-cortisol ratio and TT-to-SHBG ratio were calculated. There was no difference at rest between groups in hormonal values for TT, FT, DHEA, cortisol, the TT-to-SHBG ratio, and the TT-to-cortisol ratio. There were increases after SSTP in the levels of TT, FT, DHEA, and cortisol and the TT-to-SHBG ratio in the UG, but only FT increased in the SG. The SG demonstrated lower values in the TT-to-SHBG ratio after the training session. These results suggest the presence of alterations in anabolic and catabolic hormonal responses to resistance exercise in long-term trained middle-aged men, with the trained subjects demonstrating lower responsiveness in the hormone values. Long-term trained men seem to require a higher volume of training, at least similar to their daily workout, to stimulate greater hormone responses.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2009, 07:59:55 AM »
Brutal 14 year old boy physique. Nothing screams twink more than a 150 lb schmoe giving advices on heavy training.

I bet if you were not obese, your suit jacket would be in the 30s.

People NEVER wear the right fit as it is,(always much much larger than they are supposed to).

No human under 6 ft will ever wear a 50 inch jacket, no matter how many roids they are on and have it fit correctly.  If you are wearing anything in the 50s and you are under 6 ft, you are MORBIDLY obese.

Hope this helps.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »

People NEVER wear the right fit as it is,(always much much larger than they are supposed to).

No human under 6 ft will ever wear a 50 inch jacket, no matter how many roids they are on and have it fit correctly.  If you are wearing anything in the 50s and you are under 6 ft, you are MORBIDLY obese.

Hope this helps.

Not a single one of my suits fit me well (and I have to wear one everyday to work), my tailor hates me!

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »

Surely this isnt a cheap shot about someone being smaller than your average juiced up bodybuilder having no knowledge of lifting becos of their size? :-X

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2009, 08:31:02 AM »
Surely this isnt a cheap shot about someone being smaller than your average juiced up bodybuilder having no knowledge of lifting becos of their size? :-X

No...for lack of practical knowledge. Would you trust a dr. to perform surgery on you when he learned it in college, but never actually did one?

Anyone can cut and paste, doesnt make them experienced, or knowledgeable...sometime s, things just dont work in the real world, while they look pretty damn good on paper

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »
No...for lack of practical knowledge. Would you trust a dr. to perform surgery on you when he learned it in college, but never actually did one?

Anyone can cut and paste, doesnt make them experienced, or knowledgeable...sometime s, things just dont work in the real world, while they look pretty damn good on paper

There are tons and tons and tons of Doctors that know how to make muscles bigger. There are even a few thousand doctors that workout; I see plenty at my gym.

Just because you know how to do something in theory, does not mean it will translate to reality.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »

To be fair to TA Bob, that's a pretty groundless dismissal.  If there's no fault in the study then it's results are valid and reproducible.

Still, I liked your article and agree that the barbell is blindly worshipped by some trainees.  Injury prevention is more important than a minimal increase in progress.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »

Hope this helps.

You wear an "off the rack" size 42 jacket...you're a skinny, know-nothing twink. I'd suggest a lot of heavy chest and back work to try to do something about that pigeon-chest of yours. Or you could just wait until you reach puberty and hope that your rib cage expands.

Ironic that an extreme ectomorph like you is giving advice on heavy basic movements....you're another Google/Wikipedia training expert, they're a dime a dozen around here.