Author Topic: Ruptured Achilles Tendon  (Read 4424 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Ruptured Achilles Tendon
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
All,

Ruptured my Achilles Tendon last night and wanted to see if anyone has had this happen and if you opted for surgery or not?

Reading alot of mixed reviews as it relates to having surgery or not...

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: Ruptured Achilles Tendon
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »
you gonna sue powerhouse?

bench

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
I never ruptured mine, but had it severed when I was attacked by two pitbulls about 5 months ago, I had immediate surgery, I had a backslab on it for 6 weeks, then a CamBoot and was starting to walk again shortly after, it has been very difficult and the surgeon said I will now always have a weak achilles.  They also told me to be careful as the attachment was hard as it was a very ragged tear.  I also developed a DVT during the whole process as I wasnt able to move the leg, I was on warfarin for months (terrible drug) I Hated it.  Anyway, I am back training again, mainly cardio as I put on quite a bit of weight while out of action, I am using the cross trainer for an hour at a time most days and regular bushwalking.  Good luck with your Recovery.  I would go with surgery, I had no choice, but from what I heard, its the best option.
V

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
All,

Ruptured my Achilles Tendon last night and wanted to see if anyone has had this happen and if you opted for surgery or not?

How did you do it if you dont mind me asking ?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
All,

I did it playing in a racquetball tournament back in 93'  I waited an entire week before the operation.  If you don't get it it will shorten and the incision will end up being longer than normal.  Mine was detached at the heel.  They told me I could go without the operation but I would have to wear a full leg cast for over a year and hopefully it would fuse together and if so there was a chance of having a limp.  My scar is short and I healed great.  I came home (Hawaii, it happened in LA) and did isometric when I was in bed and it really helped heal it faster.  Even when I went back to the doctor 3 months later to have him cut the cast off he said I healed tremendously.  I had mine done at the Kerlan Jobe Clinic.  If anyone knows sports medicine they know who Jobe is.  He is the best.  I ruptured mine the exact day Dan Marino snapped his.  I am pretty sure that was in 93'  It was so loud when it happened
No Worries 4 me

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
I did it playing in a racquetball tournament back in 93'  I waited an entire week before the operation.  If you don't get it it will shorten and the incision will end up being longer than normal.  Mine was detached at the heel.  They told me I could go without the operation but I would have to wear a full leg cast for over a year and hopefully it would fuse together and if so there was a chance of having a limp.  My scar is short and I healed great.  I came home (Hawaii, it happened in LA) and did isometric when I was in bed and it really helped heal it faster.  Even when I went back to the doctor 3 months later to have him cut the cast off he said I healed tremendously.  I had mine done at the Kerlan Jobe Clinic.  If anyone knows sports medicine they know who Jobe is.  He is the best.  I ruptured mine the exact day Dan Marino snapped his.  I am pretty sure that was in 93'  It was so loud when it happened

you almost didn't name drop in that one- you saved it for next to the last minute

manujr

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »
Since were on this topic I want to share my experience. My Achilles Tendon snapped on both legs while I was on the seated calf press with 225 pounds on it. I was reaching my 95th rep when I felt a snap on my right leg. I tried to push the weight off but I couldn't.  so shifted my entire body to my left then my it snapped too. I yelled FUCK! And ended up on the floor. I ended up with a hard cast on both legs for one month. On the second month I started to learn how to walk all over again. On the third month I was back in the gym working out really light. It has been 8 months since my accident. I still go to the gym and workout but never touched any calves machine since then.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »

you almost didn't name drop in that one- you saved it for next to the last minute

;D

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »
Since were on this topic I want to share my experience. My Achilles Tendon snapped on both legs while I was on the seated calf press with 225 pounds on it. I was reaching my 95th rep when I felt a snap on my right leg. I tried to push the weight off but I couldn't.  so shifted my entire body to my left then my it snapped too. I yelled FUCK! And ended up on the floor. I ended up with a hard cast on both legs for one month. On the second month I started to learn how to walk all over again. On the third month I was back in the gym working out really light. It has been 8 months since my accident. I still go to the gym and workout but never touched any calves machine since then.

Jeebus.  That's sound pretty painful.  What kind of ROM were you using?  Did the docs tell you what caused the initial rupture? 

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:36:45 AM »
Thx for the info guys. Was playing raquetball as well. 45 mins in, just backing up, not even bouncing and bam. I thought my buddy had lost control of his racket and threw it at me.

Going for a 2nd opinion today. I had what they think was a stroke back in 04 but because I had no lasting effects there is an asterisk next to the diagnosis. They do beleive it was a clot. The one Dr I saw yesterday said because of this I might be a candidate for DVT/clots and would need shots in my stomach for 2 weeks straight, like Warfarin but shots instead. And of course there are always the risks with surgery in general.

Everything I read is that with surgery is that re-rupture is alot less than non surgical but again but of my statement above....

Stay tuned...

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:16 AM »
I never ruptured mine, but had it severed when I was attacked by two pitbulls about 5 months ago, I had immediate surgery, I had a backslab on it for 6 weeks, then a CamBoot and was starting to walk again shortly after, it has been very difficult and the surgeon said I will now always have a weak achilles.  They also told me to be careful as the attachment was hard as it was a very ragged tear.  I also developed a DVT during the whole process as I wasnt able to move the leg, I was on warfarin for months (terrible drug) I Hated it.  Anyway, I am back training again, mainly cardio as I put on quite a bit of weight while out of action, I am using the cross trainer for an hour at a time most days and regular bushwalking.  Good luck with your Recovery.  I would go with surgery, I had no choice, but from what I heard, its the best option.

what is the story behind the dog attacks? also did you find the owner of the pit bulls?
I

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 04:08:43 AM »
Common injury amongst "weekend warriors"Ive seen to many to remember. Classically 40something year olds who participate in after work activities like flag football, indoor soccer and squash (classic sports activities)What is the point of a second opinion? YOu have to get it fixed if it was a complete tear. Partial tear will not require surgery in most cases. You should be out of action for at least 6 months

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
I spent 3 hrs yesterday reading stories of people opting for both surgery and non...and it has been split down the middle.

The biggest common factor is surgery has less chance of re-rupture vs Non surgery but bottom line there is still a chance....

Basically damned if I do, damned if I don't

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
what is the story behind the dog attacks? also did you find the owner of the pit bulls?

the dogs sensed that he was a beta male and sought to eliminate him from their pack.  they were only doing what dogs do.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
Have surgery ofcourse. Will heal up better and faster.

manujr

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Jeebus.  That's sound pretty painful.  What kind of ROM were you using?  Did the docs tell you what caused the initial rupture? 

I have been weight training for over 20 years and calves were my strongest muscle group. So 225lbs is light weight for me. On this day I decide to hit 100 reps. The only difference I did on this work out was use the ballistic training method. Push the weight up real quick and drop it down fast.  According to the surgeon this type of ballistic stress cause my tendons to snap in two. I posted some pics of my calves before my injury and during my recovery

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
I have been weight training for over 20 years and calves were my strongest muscle group. So 225lbs is light weight for me. On this day I decide to hit 100 reps. The only difference I did on this work out was use the ballistic training method. Push the weight up real quick and drop it down fast.  According to the surgeon this type of ballistic stress cause my tendons to snap in two. I posted some pics of my calves before my injury and during my recovery

Thats a horrible scar coming up. 
No Worries 4 me

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Interesting and awful that some have this injury. I injured mine doing multiple 60 to 70 ballistic short reps with 600 to 700 pounds on a standing calf machine. Luckily they didn't snap. I had to stop training calves for a while. My advice is not to use ballistic movements for the calves or anything else, eg., bench presses. There are reports of guys tearing their pecs doing fast, heavy benches. Sometimes you can pull a muscle doing a relatively light movement. I mean, why should the tendon tear doing really high reps with on the calf machine with only 225 pounds? I wonder if anyone had an accident like this when training without rapid movements? Squash and indoor games require rapid changing of direction and that puts a lot of stress on tendons and joints. Netball is a game where many gals damage their knees.

I guess this point should be remembered by everyone who trains other people and really pushes them.

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
Ruptured one of mine doing a farmers walk back in 04. I was totally recovered 9 weeks post-op. good luck man, Tough break.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
Note to self: Never do ballistic reps again, ever. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
I never ruptured mine, but had it severed when I was attacked by two pitbulls about 5 months ago,

did you sue the dog owner?
carpe` vaginum!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
If you have a complete tear, surgery is your only real option.  Depending on how much of the tendon is torn in a partial tear, surgery may or may not be indicated.  If 75% or more of the tendon tore from the heel, get the surgery because you are likely to re-rupture.

As you get older, ballistic movements in general aren't a great idea.  I certainly wouldn't perform them at the extreme ranges of motion, where tendons are stretched and attachments are stressed the most.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »
Thx again folks...going for a 2nd opinion on Tuesday so stay tuned!

Sucks cause I had been training hard for 2 shows this Summer

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »

He's very good at building suspense!

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
Interesting and awful that some have this injury. I injured mine doing multiple 60 to 70 ballistic short reps with 600 to 700 pounds on a standing calf machine. Luckily they didn't snap. I had to stop training calves for a while. My advice is not to use ballistic movements for the calves or anything else, eg., bench presses. There are reports of guys tearing their pecs doing fast, heavy benches. Sometimes you can pull a muscle doing a relatively light movement. I mean, why should the tendon tear doing really high reps with on the calf machine with only 225 pounds? I wonder if anyone had an accident like this when training without rapid movements? Squash and indoor games require rapid changing of direction and that puts a lot of stress on tendons and joints. Netball is a game where many gals damage their knees.

I guess this point should be remembered by everyone who trains other people and really pushes them.

What you and the other guy were doing was dynamic reps, but doing them horribly wrong.