Author Topic: Gym Fees - what would you pay a year?  (Read 15476 times)

slacker

• Getbig V
Gym Fees - what would you pay a year?
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »
I am looking into opening a gym in my hometown.  There is a real need for a facility with fitness and weight training in house.   I am looking at making tanning beds free as part of the package.  There will be a supplement shop on the premises and a fruit/beverage bar.  I will have a lounge and yoga/dance/ area.  It needs to suite all walks of life.  I will of course make sure the lifting section is fully loaded for the heavy lifters.

So my question is this

What do you pay now for your yearly memberships??

What would you recommend or not recommend ??

Thanks
I

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: GYM FEES
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
my gyms

commercial gym, 19.99 mo.

former World's, 300 for year

YMCA is 48 a month

X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
Be careful.  You will spend a lot of money opening one, making it all nice and being successful at $29 a month but then in 6 months a fucking 24 hour fitness or a LA Fitness will stride in and charge $19 per month with twice the square footage and put you out of business.

You will make your biggest money on selling tanning lotions, supps, Personal Training and Nutrition consultation.  The memberships should be enough to cover your monthly expenses.

Target housewives that will sign up and never show up.

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »
Be careful.  You will spend a lot of money opening one, making it all nice and being successful at $29 a month but then in 6 months a fucking 24 hour fitness or a LA Fitness will stride in and charge $19 per month with twice the square footage and put you out of business.

You will make your biggest money on selling tanning lotions, supps, Personal Training and Nutrition consultation.  The memberships should be enough to cover your monthly expenses.

Ok great..  thanks so much I thought I was the only one thinking this way lol    I live in a small town with about 30g people and another 30g in surrounding areas.  I do however have 2 high schools full of jocks and cheerleaders.   Everyone for 25km comes to my town for all their services and shopping.   So I am hoping to make it a success.   

Is it important to offer child care during a specific time. "maybe 730am till 5pm"  I was thinking to offer childcare and having kids from the high school and local college who may  be pursuing a career in early childhood education do a "CO-OP " In other words they work for free. 

I

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
I am looking into opening a gym in my hometown.  There is a real need for a facility with fitness and weight training in house.   I am looking at making tanning beds free as part of the package.  There will be a supplement shop on the premises and a fruit/beverage bar.  I will have a lounge and yoga/dance/ area.  It needs to suite all walks of life.  I will of course make sure the lifting section is fully loaded for the heavy lifters.

So my question is this

What do you pay now for your yearly memberships??

What would you recommend or not recommend ??

Thanks

::)  You're talking about building a super megaplex gym that rivals most 24hr fitnesses in a "small town" with free tanning and a fully loaded lifting section for "heavy lifters".  Oh brother!  You must have rocks for brains. 

1)  People are cutting way back on things like gym memberships and "juice bars".  LOL
2)  Heavy lifters are a dying breed and you will never reap what it's worth trying to cater to them. 
3)  Supplement shops are doing terrible right now, have been for years when you can get them online to your door. 
4)  All this and you live in a "small" town?

Seriously dude.............you are going to go bankrupt doing something as ridiculous as this. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »

Personal trainers are going unemployed left and right.  Personal training and "Nutrition" consultation is one of the worst things to be in right now.  It's almost the number one thing most people cut back on in a down trending economy. 

If this idiot does a proper business plan he'll figure it out really quickly. 

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
Personal trainers are going unemployed left and right.  Personal training and "Nutrition" consultation is one of the worst things to be in right now.  It's almost the number one thing most people cut back on in a down trending economy.  

This idiot made his first million by the age of 25.   I own the building and plan on turning it into a gym for myself . So I thought why not open it to the general public this way I can justify all the expenses and write them off.     I make enough annually to where I could write this off for the rest of my life as a business loss.      This isn't the first time I have opened a business.  I have polled the community via in store questionnaire and have over 600 clients waiting to register for membership.    I have done my research and value your input.  
I

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »
Ok great..  thanks so much I thought I was the only one thinking this way lol    I live in a small town with about 30g people and another 30g in surrounding areas.  I do however have 2 high schools full of jocks and cheerleaders.   Everyone for 25km comes to my town for all their services and shopping.   So I am hoping to make it a success.   

Is it important to offer child care during a specific time. "maybe 730am till 5pm"  I was thinking to offer childcare and having kids from the high school and local college who may  be pursuing a career in early childhood education do a "CO-OP " In other words they work for free. 

Child care!  Do you know what it takes to have child care? The liability alone could bankrupt you.  The insurance is expensive and that is only if you qualify.  If airplanes fly overhead or if there is an industrial plant within a few miles then you can forget it.  Also  there are laws regarding the number of caregivers per child.

also have you looked into the cost of tanning bed lamps? Having a free bed running all day is going to drain them fast.  Big cost and upkeep plus you will need a dedicated staff member just taking care of them, cleaning them, prepping etc... after each use.  Do you know that most LA and 24 Fitness places have thousands members.  WHAT!  I never see that many people there.  Exactly.   Most people will sign up but never go, but also never cancel because it's so cheap.  The highschool probably already has a gym and highschool kids have no money anyways.  They'll just hang out and be a nuissance to the actual people that you want to keep at your gym.  Remember after 4 years those kids are gone to school or working for min. wage while the houswives will be around for a while.  You scare away the housewives by building a highschool hang out and you'll be bankrupt fast.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:01:10 PM »
Personal trainers are going unemployed left and right.  Personal training and "Nutrition" consultation is one of the worst things to be in right now.  It's almost the number one thing most people cut back on in a down trending economy. 

True, but for a gym owner it it pure profit.  It is what the big chains bank on.

newmom

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
the gym I mainly use is this

19.99 for cardio equipment only
29.99 for all equipment
42.99 for equipment, unlimited tanning, free spin class and allowed free pass for out of state visitor

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
This idiot made his first million by the age of 25.   I own the building and plan on turning it into a gym for myself . So I thought why not open it to the general public this way I can justify all the expenses and write them off.     I make enough annually to where I could write this off for the rest of my life as a business loss.      This isn't the first time I have opened a business.  I have polled the community via in store questionnaire and have over 600 clients waiting to register for membership.    I have done my research and value your input.  

Ok let's hear it John Cena.......how did you make your first million by age 25 no bullshit. 

How big is your building?  What's the population of your town?  Median income of your town?  Competition located within a 5 mile radius? 

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
Child care!  Do you know what it takes to have child care? The liability alone could bankrupt you.  The insurance is expensive and that is only if you qualify.  If airplanes fly overhead or if there is an industrial plant within a few miles then you can forget it.  Also  there are laws regarding the number of caregivers per child.

also have you looked into the cost of tanning bed lamps? Having a free bed running all day is going to drain them fast.  Big cost and upkeep plus you will need a dedicated staff member just taking care of them, cleaning them, prepping etc... after each use.  Do you know that most LA and 24 Fitness places have thousands members.  WHAT!  I never see that many people there.  Exactly.   Most people will sign up but never go, but also never cancel because it's so cheap.  The high school probably already has a gym and high school kids have no money anyways.  They'll just hang out and be a nuissance to the actual people that you want to keep at your gym.  Remember after 4 years those kids are gone to school or working for min. wage while the houswives will be around for a while.  You scare away the housewives by building a high school hang out and you'll be bankrupt fast.
The schools do not have decent gyms and since I am personal friends with the football coach I am well aware of these facts.   I pay over 30g a year for insurance as it is.   My fees for this facility is 900 per month.   After the investment of equipment my monthly fees are without utilities 4000.  I am guessing about another 2000 for hydro and My wife and her sisters will be running the place.  So labour cost are minimal.  
I

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 01:16:32 PM »

Coach, please report to the "GYM FEES" thread.  ;)

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »

::) ::) ::) ::)

dude I've been posting/lurking for less than a month and I already know mostly everything that comes out of your mouth is complete bullshit.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 01:19:55 PM »
::) ::) ::) ::)

dude I've been posting/lurking for less than a month and I already know mostly everything that comes out of your mouth is complete bullshit.

Let's see if he answers the question how he became a millionaire at age 25. 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »
The schools do not have decent gyms and since I am personal friends with the football coach I am well aware of these facts.   I pay over 30g a year for insurance as it is.   My fees for this facility is 900 per month.   After the investment of equipment my monthly fees are without utilities 4000.  I am guessing about another 2000 for hydro and My wife and her sisters will be running the place.  So labour cost are minimal.  

Hydro?  You must be Canadian.  Anyhoots.  You better check into the insurance if a little kid ever gets hurt in the daycare.  Big liability.  As for the wife and sisters running it, you better make sure they take some courses in health and fitness.  You will also need some dude there to keep things in order.  The last thing you want is 40 highschool footballers making this place their hangout.  Your doors will close fast.

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
Ok let's hear it John Cena.......how did you make your first million by age 25 no bullshit. 

How big is your building?  What's the population of your town?  Median income of your town?  Competition located within a 5 mile radius? 
I opened and operated my own construction company when I was 18. I specialized in commercial roofing.   While the winter would normally be my off season I bought and sold houses with my summer crew to ensure them year round employment rather than seasonal.I still rent a few out as they are located in a college town.   There is not a single gym facility within 25 km or a 20 minutes drive minimum.  closest one is the YMCA 28km away.   I live in a wealthy part of the country 99% farmers.  Recently they have built over 200 new homes on the out skirts of town and it is bringing the major cities upper crust.   Average home cost is about 500g   Without land.  My place for instance 400 acres 5000sq foot two storey brick home in todays market 900g plus      I paid half of that as it was in ruins after previous owner died and was empty for 5 years.  It required a complete restoration.   I know there are a lot of shiters on line and you may not believe everything I say. And I know I shoot the shit and break balls all the time. However you doubting me doesn't change the facts of my life.   I was planniing of building a 3000 square foot gym at my home for my employees and family/friends   So this way I can write it all off.   The building is 7500square feet and in a local strip mall with over 500 parking spots. I have doe my research my friend
I

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
I'm in the UK so it won't help you, but I pay £80 a month for my membership which is a fucking rip off but it's right on my doorstep and empty when I train so it's perfect.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »
I pay $32 a month for a 24 hour facility with an upstairs fitness area with mats and bags (boxing)
large square footage good machines, dumbells go up to 140 or 150 (standard)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
Haha the legend of slacker continues to grow!  Not only does he have a John Cena-level physique but is also a millionaire!!!

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
I opened and operated my own construction company when I was 18. I specialized in commercial roofing.   While the winter would normally be my off season I bought and sold houses with my summer crew to ensure them year round employment rather than seasonal.I still rent a few out as they are located in a college town.   There is not a single gym facility within 25 km or a 20 minutes drive minimum.  closest one is the YMCA 28km away.   I live in a wealthy part of the country 99% farmers.  Recently they have built over 200 new homes on the out skirts of town and it is bringing the major cities upper crust.   Average home cost is about 500g   Without land.  My place for instance 400 acres 5000sq foot two storey brick home in todays market 900g plus      I paid half of that as it was in ruins after previous owner died and was empty for 5 years.  It required a complete restoration.   I know there are a lot of shiters on line and you may not believe everything I say. And I know I shoot the shit and break balls all the time. However you doubting me doesn't change the facts of my life.   I was planniing of building a 3000 square foot gym at my home for my employees and family/friends   So this way I can write it all off.   The building is 7500square feet and in a local strip mall with over 500 parking spots. I have doe my research my friend

What state is this in?

Has alot to do with region as to what type of people live there.
Giving 110%

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
Also, I'm paying 14.99/monthly at my location.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »

First off it's one thing to run a business that is "worth a million dollars" or does a million dollars in sales or business a year.  But it's another thing to have a million dollars sitting in the bank by the time you're 25.  Unless you took over your father's business or have wealthy parents your success rivals that of Bill Gates.  He was born in 1955 and made his first million in 1981.  Are you saying you're more successful than Bill Gates?  Even Bill Gates had wealthy parents.  

Gyms are a money pit for most poeple especially small business owners.  Unless you're thinking of opening up a mega chain type franchise ala Planet Fitness, Gold's, or 24hr you're not going to make any money at it.  Especially offering all the perks you are thinking of offering.  If you have money to burn like you claim and want to open up a gym for fun or a hobby more power to you.  

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
Hydro?  You must be Canadian.  Anyhoots.  You better check into the insurance if a little kid ever gets hurt in the daycare.  Big liability.  As for the wife and sisters running it, you better make sure they take some courses in health and fitness.  You will also need some dude there to keep things in order.  The last thing you want is 40 highschool footballers making this place their hangout.  Your doors will close fast.
I have some friends from my old gym that are trainers and have offered  their services to me.  They will eventually be paying me 10 bucks per hour of training.   And I live in a good town with decent kids and I own a convenience store and they all come in there at lunch and we have never had a problem.   Also as a ex cop I have alot of friends who work at our local PD and they will workout for free in lieu of payment they will be security on a part time basis
I

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
I have some friends from my old gym that are trainers and have offered  their services to me.  They will eventually be paying me 10 bucks per hour of training.   And I live in a good town with decent kids and I own a convenience store and they all come in there at lunch and we have never had a problem.   Also as a ex cop I have alot of friends who work at our local PD and they will workout for free in lieu of payment they will be security on a part time basis

LMAO! 
Slacker:
1) Own his own million dollar business at 18
2)  millionaire by the time he was 25
3) Ex cop
4) Owns his own convenience store
5) Getbig member for over ten years
6) Looks like John Cena
7) Has the build of John Cena

Anything else we can add to this list of super stardom?