Author Topic: What do do when the ligaments / tendons won't do a lift even though the muscles  (Read 1200 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
I have exercises where my muscles are good to go but my ligaments and tendons (my body) is telling me don't do the lift that heavy. 

I know im not the only person to ever go through this.  I'm 28.  I have been lifting off and on for 10 years.  After a long hiatus just got serious in the last 2 months. 

So the answer is to document my lifts, keep the reps high on those that give me problems, stretch before and after?  What else? 

Second part of the question: What diet or supplements will help me with joints / ligaments / tendons?  The Omega 3's? What else? 

Please.. good answers.. don't break my balls.. too hard  ;D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
How are they telling you?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Not sure I have ever heard a question quite stated that way. I'll let someone else answer it. Perhaps RB's  experienced BB'ing workout partners he has mentioned many times before. Hint: confidence and understanding BB'ing 101 can be an importing element in training. Good Luck.
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
If you truly feel that your connective tissue is not prepared for the lifts that you perceive, what on earth would make you believe that your muscles are "good to go?"

Obviously your muscles are not prepared to lift what you might prefer. The Golgi tendon response is taught only through slow, careful and deliberate increases in tension/weight.

I'm sure  there are lots of folks who have an intended perception of what they think they should be lifting, but what are these thoughts based upon? The past? What youv'e read? Seeing a "I bench 300lb" T-shirt? Reading too many BB mags?

You may even want to consider the fact that first and foremost, your CNS must be prepared for an inroad- or a dent in its recovery abilities. Are you prepared for that?

You have very thought-provoking questions. If you just want big pretty muscles, you shouldn't really be dealing with connective tissue issues. If you want to be a powerlifter, well... you need to dig deep and get a good base of knowledge built.

Documentation of anything is highly commendable in my book.

No exercise or training program proceeds completely free of difficulty. There are certain problems you're bound to encounter and, therefore, should be on the lookout for. Thorough knowledge of the potential problem is half the solution to it. If you know what to be on the lookout for, you're less likely to take the wrong path to begin with.

I think it is also cool that you are extremely aware of your experiences... you are just annoying. (Just kidding)--

Next?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
i force it....

DONT DO WHAT I DO!!!

bench

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Thanks for the answers they made me think and dig deep

I will refer all future questions to Conan for badassery

Yev33

• Getbig III
          Just by reading the backround you gave, I highly doubt your joints are too weak for your muscles. You are most likely expiriencing joint discomfort as a result of improper warm up, or possibly the form you are using on the lifts that are giving you trouble. Yes joint pain and inflammation are very real and anyone that has trained heavy has expirienced it at least once in their lifetime, but the issue can most of the time be remedied by better warm up and technique, and occasionally the lift may have to be dropped all together.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
      ...and occasionally the lift may have to be dropped all together.

Unless of course, you are bench pressing without a spotter...  ;D

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy

Unless of course, you are bench pressing without a spotter...  ;D

Should have left the clips off so I could dump.  Now I am a ghost come back to haunt getbig

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
          Just by reading the backround you gave, I highly doubt your joints are too weak for your muscles. You are most likely expiriencing joint discomfort as a result of improper warm up, or possibly the form you are using on the lifts that are giving you trouble. Yes joint pain and inflammation are very real and anyone that has trained heavy has expirienced it at least once in their lifetime, but the issue can most of the time be remedied by better warm up and technique, and occasionally the lift may have to be dropped all together.

Its been a little over a week since I posted this.  I have been pyramiding up religiously which helped a lot.  I changed over some exercises in my routine.  I've been taking numerous vitamins religiously.  Fish oils, flax oil, glucosamine condroitin, magnesium, folic acid, L Lysine and others.  I expanded my preworkout stretch routine to about 7-8 different exercises.  Thanks for all the advice