Author Topic: Any of you ever gone homeless before?  (Read 20496 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Any of you ever gone homeless before?
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »
Ship Sekki was it during this time you honed your fighting skills with other bums?

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2010, 06:40:57 AM »
Ship Sekki was it during this time you honed your fighting skills with other bums?

No I got in a lot of fights as a teenager, a long time ago.

While homeless I never got into a fight.

And actually I never had any big problems or conflicts with any other homeless people or anyone else. I ust avoided shady characters and was very careful about where I slept. And I usually slept in very hidden places and kept all my shit well camoflauged. So I just wasn't seen.

I think the dangers of being homeless are exaggerated personally. As long as you are street smart and knowhow to do things the danger rate can be minimized really low. You just have to take the time and effort to do things properly and smartly.

But in cities it is more sketchy. Most of my experience was in small towns and wilderness.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2010, 06:42:52 AM »
No I got in a lot of fights as a teenager, a long time ago.

While homeless I never got into a fight.

And actually I never had any big problems or conflicts with any other homeless people or anyone else. I ust avoided shady characters and was very careful about where I slept. And I usually slept in very hidden places and kept all my shit well camoflauged. So I just wasn't seen.

I think the dangers of being homeless are exaggerated personally. As long as you are street smart and knowhow to do things the danger rate can be minimized really low. You just have to take the time and effort to do things properly and smartly.

But in cities it is more sketchy. Most of my experience was in small towns and wilderness.

did you ever have to eat any possum or turtle soup?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »
;D Thats only in the south bro

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:20 AM »
;D Thats only in the south bro

pfftttttt, yankees.... ::)  They don't know what good eatin' is... ;D

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2010, 06:49:29 AM »
Whats "my kind of people"?

I meant uneducated people.  You said you had to work your ass off just to barely keep from being homeless.  That really sucks.  I feel bad that people have to work like dogs just to keep from living on the streets.  

That's all it was.  I'm just thankful that I went to college so I don't have to worry about that.  It's good to hear what it's like for your kind of people.  Those of us who went to school don't always get to hear how hard it is for people with barely a high school diploma.

Y

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2010, 06:50:01 AM »
 When I was far away from towns and low on supplies I sometimes set up snares and ate whatever got caught.

Squirrels and rats.

Some of the hardcore bums would eat that shit every day. I just did it in emergency situations a few times.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »

I meant uneducated people.  You said you had to work your ass off just to barely keep from being homeless.  That really sucks.  I feel bad that people have to work like dogs just to keep from living on the streets.  

That's all it was.  I'm just thankful that I went to college so I don't have to worry about that.  It's good to hear what it's like for your kind of people.  Those of us who went to school don't always get to hear how hard it is for people with barely a high school diploma.

So you think that there are no people who went to college who are homeless?

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2010, 06:55:24 AM »
So you think that there are no people who went to college who are homeless?

Why would you think that?  You don't have to make gigantic assumptions in order to prove a useless point. 
There's homeless people that went to college just like there are wealthy people that never went to college.   Sometimes you just have to speak in generalities and assume no fuckface dumbass on the internet is going to assume you're speaking in absolutes. 

In this case I was wrong, because some fuckface dumbass on the internet did assume I was speaking in absolutes....

I just feel bad that Coach had to work his ass off just to barely keep himself from living on the streets.  The typical person with a college degree has the ability to get a job that allows him to keep from being homeless without "working his ass off."

Y

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2010, 07:10:55 AM »

Then, you might want to reword that, "college boy."   ;) Shouldn't it say "I MOST LIKELY don't have to worry about that."

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2010, 08:44:09 AM »
Try to keep this short.  in the mid 90's when i was doing really good and living very well and had a beautiful condo overlooking the ocean on the 34th floor of the Voted Best Multi living building in Hawaii and a nice car and everything going great.  I basically had someone steal every penny I had.  I first ended up living in my office then a short while in my car (just a few days).  I didn't want anyone to know.  It was funny cause when I lived in my office which was just for a short while I had this girl come over.  We slept on the floor and she started crying.  i asked her what was wrong and she said she felt so sorry for me.  Shit I had a $6000 coffee table in my place I ended up selling to my friend for $500.  Anyway, I only last about a couple weeks total homeless then I moved into a huge 8,000+ sq ft house in one of the best areas of Honolulu.  So it wasn't to bad.  And when I was young and got kicked out of my house I was homeless for awhile.  No big deal.  Makes you stronger and appreciate when things are going good.  Of course that didn't always work for me.
No Worries 4 me

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »
I've gone without protein shakes and creatine for a month.  Crazy times.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »
Try to keep this short.  in the mid 90's when i was doing really good and living very well and had a beautiful condo overlooking the ocean on the 34th floor of the Voted Best Multi living building in Hawaii and a nice car and everything going great.  I basically had someone steal every penny I had.  I first ended up living in my office then a short while in my car (just a few days).  I didn't want anyone to know.  It was funny cause when I lived in my office which was just for a short while I had this girl come over.  We slept on the floor and she started crying.  i asked her what was wrong and she said she felt so sorry for me.  Shit I had a $6000 coffee table in my place I ended up selling to my friend for $500.  Anyway, I only last about a couple weeks total homeless then I moved into a huge 8,000+ sq ft house in one of the best areas of Honolulu.  So it wasn't to bad.  And when I was young and got kicked out of my house I was homeless for awhile.  No big deal.  Makes you stronger and appreciate when things are going good.  Of course that didn't always work for me.
Now Keith how did you get from homeless to a 8000 sq ft house in a couple weeks?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »

"Uneducated"?

Hahahahahahaha, classic post. Another getbig million air who doesn't have to work "that hard". IMO not working hard = lazy. The old adage "don't work harder, work smarter" is the biggest bullshit line of the century. Admit it, you're just lazy..LOL!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2010, 09:04:29 AM »
I've spent a few nights outside and all I can tell you is you freeze your ass off and nothing is comfortable.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
Now Keith how did you get from homeless to a 8000 sq ft house in a couple weeks?

Well I actually rented one of the bedrooms downstairs by the pool.  This lady was renting this huge house in Waialae Iki which is a very nice area of Honolulu.  It was two floor with a dumb waiter and a kitchen downstairs, pool and large yard.  She rented out all the bedroom to people,.  There was a realtor who lived there, a diamond broker two contractors.  It was a great place.  We barbqued almost every day and we all got along.  We kept one bedroom open so if any of us had family who wanted to come over they could stay there for free.  So my daughters always came over.  We had 3 huge parties each year where 200 to 300 people would come.  All business owners and political people.  The lady owned a big flower shop.  Rent was only $600 a month for the one bedroom.  I had a private entrance that was next to the laundry room and opened out to the pool.  I lived there for about 3 or 4 years.  I went looking around for some other places cause I never lived with anyone before.  I always lived on my own so sharing a place was different but because it had the private entrance and everything it was really cool
No Worries 4 me

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
Well I actually rented one of the bedrooms downstairs by the pool.  This lady was renting this huge house in Waialae Iki which is a very nice area of Honolulu.  It was two floor with a dumb waiter and a kitchen downstairs, pool and large yard.  She rented out all the bedroom to people,.  There was a realtor who lived there, a diamond broker two contractors.  It was a great place.  We barbqued almost every day and we all got along.  We kept one bedroom open so if any of us had family who wanted to come over they could stay there for free.  So my daughters always came over.  We had 3 huge parties each year where 200 to 300 people would come.  All business owners and political people.  The lady owned a big flower shop.  Rent was only $600 a month for the one bedroom.  I had a private entrance that was next to the laundry room and opened out to the pool.  I lived there for about 3 or 4 years.  I went looking around for some other places cause I never lived with anyone before.  I always lived on my own so sharing a place was different but because it had the private entrance and everything it was really cool
Was this one of the best times of your life?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:47 AM »
and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2010, 09:45:36 AM »
and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.
Falcon approved diet.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
Homeless culture is different everywhere.

In Oregon and Northern Cali where I did it. Most of the homeless people had a spiritual, mystical hippies thing going on.

In lots of other places, like Arizona and New Mexico, or SoCal, it's just more rough, mean and hardcore.

Then go to other countries and it's radically different in every place you go.

Homeless culture is very complex. You all are acting like you've got it all figured out though. Very closed-minded views i'm seeing here.

Sounds really interesting. I'd like to hear more. Stories, experiences. I'm all ears.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »
Was this one of the best times of your life?

No, it wasn't bad though.  I was getting in the best shape of my life.  It was the last place I lived before moving back to LA to train and then got bit.
No Worries 4 me

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
"Uneducated"?

Hahahahahahaha, classic post. Another getbig million air who doesn't have to work "that hard". IMO not working hard = lazy. The old adage "don't work harder, work smarter" is the biggest bullshit line of the century. Admit it, you're just lazy..LOL!

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA A!!!!!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
How did you get out of being homeless, were there social services that helped?

I tell you how and part of it is painful to think about it.

In the few month I was homeless I was hanging out in a video store were I knew the person working in quite well - greek girl (I will be forever thankful to the person her name was Elena).
One day I come in and she says there was a call for you...
This was extremly unusual since how should anybody know to call there for me? surely not my parents since they I broke of contact with them and they had no idea what happened to me.
So I answer call back, and a father of a girl called that knew me from other friends and by briefly chatting with me, I was like 17 at the time - She said she convinced her family that they have a hotel in the blackforest and they want to give me a second chance.
Completely random incredible when I think about it now.
So I get picked up and all, i get a room, I get a job (no pay cleaning dishes) but I get food and a place to stay and to start all over again - i never forget the first time sleeping in a bed after like I dunno 3 - 4 month sleeping in trains and at the end in an abandoned house in deep black forest winter in a sleeping bag (unthinkable now)
But I was a complete prick at the time and completely wreckless, things did not go well and when the woman of the house asked me to hover I found an ear ring on the ground and for some reason I took it too my room and she accused me of stealing, I cannot remember why I took it to my room but I left it on my night drawer so I wasn't intending to steal it at all I didn't even see the value in it - but she did not believe me, also the girl lend me some of her money to buy new cloth and I of course fucked it up and did not pay it back.
One day things went to far and the father talked to me (I think the mother never wanted me but the father and the kids were really decent and good people) he said i need to find a job so I was real lucky to find a job in a restaurant and that was that.

Overall I still feel real bad about that experience I got a second chance from that family and fucked it up - bitter memories - without them there would have been no end, I joined the army very shortly after that and I got straightened out.

All my life i always had people like that, people that went way way waaay beyound what they should do in order to help me and I always fucked it up somewhat :(

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
Then, you might want to reword that, "college boy."   ;) Shouldn't it say "I MOST LIKELY don't have to worry about that."

No, it shouldn't say that. 
I'm not using big words, you shouldn't have this much trouble reading my posts, fuckface.   
Y

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
I tell you how and part of it is painful to think about it.

In the few month I was homeless I was hanging out in a video store were I knew the person working in quite well - greek girl (I will be forever thankful to the person her name was Elena).
One day I come in and she says there was a call for you...
This was extremly unusual since how should anybody know to call there for me? surely not my parents since they I broke of contact with them and they had no idea what happened to me.
So I answer call back, and a father of a girl called that knew me from other friends and by briefly chatting with me, I was like 17 at the time - She said she convinced her family that they have a hotel in the blackforest and they want to give me a second chance.
Completely random incredible when I think about it now.
So I get picked up and all, i get a room, I get a job (no pay cleaning dishes) but I get food and a place to stay and to start all over again - i never forget the first time sleeping in a bed after like I dunno 3 - 4 month sleeping in trains and at the end in an abandoned house in deep black forest winter in a sleeping bag (unthinkable now)
But I was a complete prick at the time and completely wreckless, things did not go well and when the woman of the house asked me to hover I found an ear ring on the ground and for some reason I took it too my room and she accused me of stealing, I cannot remember why I took it to my room but I left it on my night drawer so I wasn't intending to steal it at all I didn't even see the value in it - but she did not believe me, also the girl lend me some of her money to buy new cloth and I of course fucked it up and did not pay it back.
One day things went to far and the father talked to me (I think the mother never wanted me but the father and the kids were really decent and good people) he said i need to find a job so I was real lucky to find a job in a restaurant and that was that.

Overall I still feel real bad about that experience I got a second chance from that family and fucked it up - bitter memories - without them there would have been no end, I joined the army very shortly after that and I got straightened out.

All my life i always had people like that, people that went way way waaay beyound what they should do in order to help me and I always fucked it up somewhat :(
Good post Stark now why do think you always fucked things up when people were trying to help? Sounds like the universe has been taking care of you.