Author Topic: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question  (Read 144817 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2014, 03:42:31 AM »
You lost me after the first few paragraphs.  Too much medicalese. 

Regarding Ablow, he's a doctor.  Brown and Johns Hopkins graduate.  Two of the best schools in the country.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ablow

He says this based on his own experience:

"In my own practice, I find that people addicted to marijuana can have lives veering out of control—without the energy to pursue employment, with relationships failing, with grades dropping—yet insist that their chronic, daily marijuana use has nothing to do with it."

Some people are like that, it has nothing to due with marijuana. If he was correct (he is implying causation when it's not possible, a fallacy) then there wouldn't be examples of people like me, or dustin or joe rogan or................

What he is describing is mentally sick people who are self medicating. He is describing addiction, anyone addicted to anything are often aloof, unstable etc. Ever see someone without a smoke for a period of time?

The other thing with you is that you seem to think credentials matter in matters of fact, they don't. He is patently wrong and his argument is a fallacy, fact. He is implying causation where none can exist, I get he is just making an anecdotal statement, but my anecdotal statement clashes with his, so who is right? well thankfully we have facts and they are on my side. In fact, MJ may be a viable harm reduction strategy for addicts or harder drugs, research on this is being done, how can you square that fact with the rough hole this man has created?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Some people are like that, it has nothing to due with marijuana. If he was correct (he is implying causation when it's not possible, a fallacy) then there wouldn't be examples of people like me, or dustin or joe rogan or................

What he is describing is mentally sick people who are self medicating. He is describing addiction, anyone addicted to anything are often aloof, unstable etc. Ever see someone without a smoke for a period of time?

The other thing with you is that you seem to think credentials matter in matters of fact, they don't. He is patently wrong and his argument is a fallacy, fact. He is implying causation where none can exist, I get he is just making an anecdotal statement, but my anecdotal statement clashes with his, so who is right? well thankfully we have facts and they are on my side. In fact, MJ may be a viable harm reduction strategy for addicts or harder drugs, research on this is being done, how can you square that fact with the rough hole this man has created?

You are the one who questioned his credentials.  I just pointed out where he went to school. 

He isn't just making an anecdotal statement.  He is talking about his experience treating patients, which I imagine is pretty extensive, and research:

"Research studies show that cannabis users are at a 40 percent increased risk of psychosis. Research studies show that marijuana may well be a risk factor for schizophrenia, depression and anxiety disorders.

And research shows that marijuana is linked to a syndrome in which people have little motivation to pursue goals and interests that they once found compelling."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
You are the one who questioned his credentials.  I just pointed out where he went to school. 

He isn't just making an anecdotal statement.  He is talking about his experience treating patients, which I imagine is pretty extensive, and research:

"Research studies show that cannabis users are at a 40 percent increased risk of psychosis. Research studies show that marijuana may well be a risk factor for schizophrenia, depression and anxiety disorders.

And research shows that marijuana is linked to a syndrome in which people have little motivation to pursue goals and interests that they once found compelling."

His experience is anecdotal, it's the very definition of it. He said research studies, a sure sign he has no idea what he is talking about, normally people remember studies and the outcomes.

There is no link between anxiety nor depression and marijuana, the evidence I posted above is "research studies" contradicting his claim, but unlike him I have the proof.

I admit the risk of psychosis is there, it's a mild hallucinogen, it's going to do that, but triggering chronic psychotic disorders like schizophrenia? that rate is way way lower, like 2%, as a propensity is needed, altered gene function.

His arguments are weak, if it's addiction as the argument, alcohol is worse, if it's side effects, Tylenol is worse, if it's inducing or worsening illness, alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and soda pop are worse.

Just because some people misuse a substance isn't grounds for banning it, specifically when the addictive potential is low. The most addictive substances are the dopaminergics, as you recall ::), mj lowers this but strengthens it's tone, not an addictive property. You need increased dopamine in the nucleus accumbens for much of the addictive euphoric responses, mj doesn't have a large affinity here.

He is just wrong, he is seeing sick people self medicating. For instance, say I run a detox clinic (alcohol), my opinion based on my experiences would be that alcohol wrecks lives, destroys health, causes confusion, apathy, addiction and kills. Would you say that something framed as the above should be legal? hell no? but alas that's not the truth. It should read, I have seen morons get fucked up on alcohol and kill and spiral out of control. The drug isn't the issue.

This is also a sliding scale, some drugs are more addictive, but we know why, we know how, where etc. MJ isn't magic, it's withdrawal syndrome is classified.

"Int J Eat Disord. 2014 Mar;47(2):219-23. doi: 10.1002/eat.22229. Epub 2013 Nov 26.

Cannabis withdrawal syndrome: An important diagnostic consideration in adolescents presenting with disordered eating.

Chesney T1, Matsos L, Couturier J, Johnson N.

Author information

Abstract

Although previously thought to have no withdrawal symptoms, there is now convergent evidence for a cannabis withdrawal syndrome (CWS), criteria for its diagnosis, and evidence of its impact in the adolescent population. Cannabis withdrawal syndrome represents an important and under-recognized consideration in adolescents with disordered eating. We describe three clinical cases of adolescents presenting to an eating disorders program with primary complaints of gastrointestinal symptoms, food avoidance, and associated weight loss. They did not meet the criteria for an eating disorder, but did fulfill the DSM-5 criteria for CWS. This report emphasizes the importance of considering the impact of heavy cannabis use in adolescents presenting with gastrointestinal complaints, and eating disorder symptoms, including weight loss."

He may be top of the class smart but he is not special, he aint no special.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
His experience is anecdotal, it's the very definition of it. He said research studies, a sure sign he has no idea what he is talking about, normally people remember studies and the outcomes.

There is no link between anxiety nor depression and marijuana, the evidence I posted above is "research studies" contradicting his claim, but unlike him I have the proof.

I admit the risk of psychosis is there, it's a mild hallucinogen, it's going to do that, but triggering chronic psychotic disorders like schizophrenia? that rate is way way lower, like 2%, as a propensity is needed, altered gene function.

His arguments are weak, if it's addiction as the argument, alcohol is worse, if it's side effects, Tylenol is worse, if it's inducing or worsening illness, alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and soda pop are worse.

Just because some people misuse a substance isn't grounds for banning it, specifically when the addictive potential is low. The most addictive substances are the dopaminergics, as you recall ::), mj lowers this but strengthens it's tone, not an addictive property. You need increased dopamine in the nucleus accumbens for much of the addictive euphoric responses, mj doesn't have a large affinity here.

He is just wrong, he is seeing sick people self medicating. For instance, say I run a detox clinic (alcohol), my opinion based on my experiences would be that alcohol wrecks lives, destroys health, causes confusion, apathy, addiction and kills. Would you say that something framed as the above should be legal? hell no? but alas that's not the truth. It should read, I have seen morons get fucked up on alcohol and kill and spiral out of control. The drug isn't the issue.

This is also a sliding scale, some drugs are more addictive, but we know why, we know how, where etc. MJ isn't magic, it's withdrawal syndrome is classified.

"Int J Eat Disord. 2014 Mar;47(2):219-23. doi: 10.1002/eat.22229. Epub 2013 Nov 26.

Cannabis withdrawal syndrome: An important diagnostic consideration in adolescents presenting with disordered eating.

Chesney T1, Matsos L, Couturier J, Johnson N.

Author information

Abstract

Although previously thought to have no withdrawal symptoms, there is now convergent evidence for a cannabis withdrawal syndrome (CWS), criteria for its diagnosis, and evidence of its impact in the adolescent population. Cannabis withdrawal syndrome represents an important and under-recognized consideration in adolescents with disordered eating. We describe three clinical cases of adolescents presenting to an eating disorders program with primary complaints of gastrointestinal symptoms, food avoidance, and associated weight loss. They did not meet the criteria for an eating disorder, but did fulfill the DSM-5 criteria for CWS. This report emphasizes the importance of considering the impact of heavy cannabis use in adolescents presenting with gastrointestinal complaints, and eating disorder symptoms, including weight loss."

He may be top of the class smart but he is not special, he aint no special.

I don't think a doctor talking about his experience and observations of patients is anecdotal.  It might fall within the literal definition, but that's not what anecdotes really are IMO (which I think are limited experiences a person has with someone or something). 

And not sure if you missed it, but he actually believes marijuana should be legal.  He is just intellectually honest about the health implications. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
I don't think a doctor talking about his experience and observations of patients is anecdotal.  It might fall within the literal definition, but that's not what anecdotes really are IMO (which I think are limited experiences a person has with someone or something). 

And not sure if you missed it, but he actually believes marijuana should be legal.  He is just intellectually honest about the health implications. 

He may be intellectually honest, I hope so, but he is misinformed. Also, people using a drug aka self medicating will mis use the drug. Small metered dosages of proper strains would help these people, these are addicts. They abuse Marijauna, smoke too much and it becomes consuming.

It's a very mild drug.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
He may be intellectually honest, I hope so, but he is misinformed. Also, people using a drug aka self medicating will mis use the drug. Small metered dosages of proper strains would help these people, these are addicts. They abuse Marijauna, smoke too much and it becomes consuming.

It's a very mild drug.

I think you can say that about many drugs if they are used in moderation. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
I think you can say that about many drugs if they are used in moderation. 

Agreed. That;s my point. It;'s the person not the drug. ALWAYS. the drug is the crutch of choice, some are more difficult to manage and probably positively correlate with illness. That is the worse the trauma/issue the harder the drug.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »
Agreed. That;s my point. It;'s the person not the drug. ALWAYS. the drug is the crutch of choice, some are more difficult to manage and probably positively correlate with illness. That is the worse the trauma/issue the harder the drug.

I agree to an extent.  Yes the person and how they use is a huge factor.  The drug itself is a factor too.  Some are more dangerous than others. 

The problem with moderation is many people don't use legal or illegal drugs in moderation. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:44 AM »
I agree to an extent.  Yes the person and how they use is a huge factor.  The drug itself is a factor too.  Some are more dangerous than others. 

The problem with moderation is many people don't use legal or illegal drugs in moderation. 

Right, but that's their problem. Responsible adults shouldn't be handcuffed by the weak and mentally ill. It also harms no one.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
Right, but that's their problem. Responsible adults shouldn't be handcuffed by the weak and mentally ill. It also harms no one.

A bit an overstatement, no?  People who drink and drive hurt people.  Same for any other person who abuses a drug and then hurts someone. 

Also, we have a crackheads/ice users here who commit a lot of property crime. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2014, 03:40:49 AM »
A bit an overstatement, no?  People who drink and drive hurt people.  Same for any other person who abuses a drug and then hurts someone. 

Also, we have a crackheads/ice users here who commit a lot of property crime. 

I think I said responsible usage didn't I? making your point moot.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
I think I said responsible usage didn't I? making your point moot.

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the drug. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Eric Holder 'Cautiously Optimistic' About Marijuana Legalization In Washington And Colorado
Posted: 04/15/2014 7:30 am EDT Updated: 04/15/2014 10:59 am EDT

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Attorney General Eric Holder is "cautiously optimistic" about how things are going in Washington state and Colorado following the legalization and state regulation of marijuana.

But the nation's top law enforcement official, who spoke to The Huffington Post in an interview on Friday, also said it was tough to predict where marijuana legalization will be in 10 years.

"I'm not just saying that, I think it's hard to tell," Holder said in a jury room at the federal courthouse in Charleston, which he visited as part of the Justice Department's Smart on Crime initiative. "I think there might have been a burst of feeling that what happened in Washington and Colorado was going to be soon replicated across the country. I'm not sure that is necessarily the case. I think a lot of states are going to be looking to see what happens in Washington, what happens in Colorado before those decisions are made in substantial parts of the country."

Under Holder, the Justice Department has allowed marijuana legalization to move forward in Washington and Colorado and has issued guidance to federal prosecutors that is intended to open up banking access for pot shops that are legal on the state level.

Based on the reports he has received out of Washington and Colorado, Holder also said he thinks things are going about how he'd expected them to go.

"I think what people have to understand is that when we have those eight priorities that we have set out, it essentially means that the federal government is not going to be involved in the prosecution of small-time, possessory drug cases, but we never were," Holder said. "So I'm not sure that I see a huge change yet, we've tried to adapt to the situation in Colorado with regard to how money is kept and transacted and all that stuff, and try to open up the banking system."

"But I think, so far, I'm cautiously optimistic," Holder continued. "But as I indicated to both governors, we will be monitoring the progress of those efforts and if we conclude that they are not being done in an appropriate way, we reserve our rights to file lawsuits."

Holder's positive outlook on how legalization is going in Washington and Colorado stands in contrast to the views expressed by Drug Enforcement Administration head Michele Leonhart, who reportedly criticized President Barack Obama for comparing marijuana to alcohol. Leonhart claimed earlier this month that voters were mislead when they voted to legalize and regulate marijuana on the state level, that Mexican drug cartels are "setting up shop" in Washington and Colorado and that this country should have "never gone forward" with legalization. Another DEA official recently claimed that "every single parent out there" opposed marijuana legalization.

Washington and Colorado, of course, aren't the only places in the U.S. reforming their approach to marijuana. In March, Washington, D.C., decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana. Asked about D.C.'s move, Holder said it didn't make sense to send people to jail on possession charges.

"Well, I'll tell you, as a former judge, I had to put in jail substantial numbers of young people for possessory drug offenses, and it was not from the perspective I had as a judge necessarily a good use of law enforcement resources," Holder said. "When I became U.S. attorney we put in place certain guidelines so that people would not end up, especially young people, with criminal records and all that then implies for them."

"So again, we'll see how it works in Washington, D.C.," Holder said.

Asked about his own personal history with marijuana, Holder told HuffPost he used pot in college and had characterized it as "youthful experimentation" in background checks for various federal nominations.

"Yeah, I certainly have said in my four, five, whatever number confirmation hearings I've had that you fill out the forms, that I had 'youthful experimentation' -- I think was the phrase that we were told to use -- when I was in college," Holder said.

Holder also acknowledged the Obama administration has made the political decision not to unilaterally "reschedule" marijuana by taking it off the list of what the federal government considers the most dangerous drugs, though that is something the attorney general has the authority to do. Instead, Holder has said DOJ would be willing to work with Congress if they want to reschedule marijuana, which doesn't seem likely to happen in the near future.

"I think that given what we have done in dealing with the whole Smart on Crime initiative and the executive actions that we have taken, that when it comes to rescheduling, I think this is something that should come from Congress," Holder said. "We'd be willing to work with Congress if there is a desire on the part of Congress to think about rescheduling. But I think I'd want to hear, get a sense from them about where they'd like to be."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/15/eric-holder-marijuana-legalization_n_5148663.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
Study finds brain changes in young marijuana users
By Kay Lazar  | GLOBE STAFF   APRIL 15, 2014

Young adults who occasionally smoke marijuana show abnormalities in two key areas of their brain related to emotion, motivation, and decision making, raising concerns that they could be damaging their developing minds at a critical time, according to a new study by Boston researchers.

Other studies have revealed brain changes among heavy marijuana users, but this research is believed to be the first to demonstrate such abnormalities in young, casual smokers.

The Boston scientists also found that the degree of brain changes appeared to be directly related to the amount participants smoked per week.

Researchers did not study whether those changes were linked to corresponding declines in brain function, but lead author Jodi Gilman, a psychology instructor at Harvard Medical School and a brain scientist at Massachusetts General Hospital, said such abnormalities in young brains are reason for concern.

“This is when you are making major decisions in your life, when you are choosing a major, starting a career, making long-lasting friendships and relationships,” Gilman said.

The findings, published Wednesday in the Journal of Neuroscience, come amid an increased debate about the long-term effects of marijuana, as a growing number of states legalize the drug for medicinal and recreational use.

Forty Boston-area young adults aged 18 to 25, many from Boston University, were selected for the study. Researchers used scans to measure the volume, shape, and density of two regions of the brain — the nucleus accumbens and the amygdala.

Half of the group said they used marijuana at least once a week, and the other 20 had not used the drug in the past year, and reported using it less than five times in their life.

Among the group that did smoke, the median use was about six joints per week.

Scans revealed that the nucleus accumbens was larger in marijuana users, compared with nonusers, and its alteration was directly related to how much the person smoked. The nucleus accumbens is a hub in the brain that is involved with decision making and motivation. Structural changes were also seen in the amygdala, which is involved with emotional behavior.

These changes, Gilman said, may be evidence that the brain is forming new connections that encourage further drug use, “a sort of drug learning process.” The study did not address whether the brain changes are permanent.

The results are similar to animal studies that show when rats are given THC, the mind-altering ingredient in marijuana, their brains also form new connections, indicating an adaptation to the unnatural level of reward and stimulation from marijuana.

Other scientists not involved in the study say its small size makes it hard to extrapolate to the general population. But they also said the findings may help explain what happened to the brains of participants in other marijuana studies that demonstrated behavioral and functional changes, but did not use scans to identify potential brain abnormalities.

“Anything that underscores that there may be structural changes in the brain [from marijuana use] is important,” said Dr. Staci Gruber, an associate psychiatry professor at Harvard Medical School and a director of brain imaging at McLean Hospital.

Gruber’s studies of marijuana smokers have focused on those with longer, more chronic use and have found that those who started smoking at earlier ages, while still in their teens, are less able to perform certain reasoning and decision-making tasks, compared with those who started later in life.

Stuart Gitlow, president of the American Society of Addiction Medicine, said the Mass. General study provides much-needed “hard evidence” of brain changes that appear to match the changes in cognitive skills — thinking and reasoning — that other researchers have demonstrated in marijuana studies.

“We’ve known that people who use marijuana when they’re younger tend to have cognitive abnormalities, but this gives us direct evidence,” he said.

“It’s fairly reasonable to draw the conclusion now that marijuana does alter the structure of the brain, as demonstrated in this study,” Gitlow said, “and that structural alteration is responsible, at least to some degree, for the cognitive changes we have seen in other studies.”

Earlier research has shown different brain changes linked to alcohol or other drug use, such as cocaine.

Dr. Hans Breiter, a coauthor of the Mass. General study, said there are still many unanswered questions about the potential long-term effects of these various chemicals, especially if people use more than one drug. One of his earlier studies, for instance, showed that the amygdala region of the brain shrank with cocaine use, while the new marijuana study suggests an increase.

“Most drug users use more than one drug,” said Breiter, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

“Cocaine users use opiates, and most marijuana users also drink,” he said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/04/15/casual-marijuana-use-creates-brain-changes-new-report-shows/X1cN8A7h5pOVJkeYkXTXlJ/story.html

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
Use in children or developing brains is problematic, so is alcohol, it's a moot point.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »
Use in children or developing brains is problematic, so is alcohol, it's a moot point.

"Forty Boston-area young adults aged 18 to 25, many from Boston University, were selected for the study."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
"Forty Boston-area young adults aged 18 to 25, many from Boston University, were selected for the study."

Yes I have read the study, the brain develops into adulthood. This isn't some revelation, many substances have negative effects.

There are also studies highlighting the lack of long term consequences, this study isn't causal also.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: April 16, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »
Yes I have read the study, the brain develops into adulthood. This isn't some revelation, many substances have negative effects.

There are also studies highlighting the lack of long term consequences, this study isn't causal also.

So smoking marijuana is "problematic" (your word) up to age 25? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »

I wouldn't say that, I

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »

Sorry for the tard post, the point is what type of consumption? chronic? acute? oral, inhalation. I think there is little consequence to an adult using it occasionally like alcohol.

There simply isn't enough information nor can we control for all the nuisance variables in this case. Any drug that has an endogenous receptor that is so intimately tied to brain development could have an impact.

I would argue it's problematic in healthy kids. Does that clarify? then based on the disorder, intractable seizures respond to CBD then no I don't think it's problematic.

The US has a patent on medical marijuana for NEUROPROTECTION. The study is inconclusive and has too many confounders. Chronic and responsible use has different effects as well.

Do you know the effects of drugs on the developing brain? ssri? benzos? far greater impact.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
Sorry for the tard post, the point is what type of consumption? chronic? acute? oral, inhalation. I think there is little consequence to an adult using it occasionally like alcohol.

There simply isn't enough information nor can we control for all the nuisance variables in this case. Any drug that has an endogenous receptor that is so intimately tied to brain development could have an impact.

I would argue it's problematic in healthy kids. Does that clarify? then based on the disorder, intractable seizures respond to CBD then no I don't think it's problematic.

The US has a patent on medical marijuana for NEUROPROTECTION. The study is inconclusive and has too many confounders. Chronic and responsible use has different effects as well.

Do you know the effects of drugs on the developing brain? ssri? benzos? far greater impact.

You said you read the study?  This is from the first sentence of the article:

"Young adults who occasionally smoke marijuana show abnormalities in two key areas of their brain related to emotion, motivation, and decision making, raising concerns that they could be damaging their developing minds at a critical time, according to a new study by Boston researchers."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »
You said you read the study?  This is from the first sentence of the article:

"Young adults who occasionally smoke marijuana show abnormalities in two key areas of their brain related to emotion, motivation, and decision making, raising concerns that they could be damaging their developing minds at a critical time, according to a new study by Boston researchers."

I read the study, this isn't the study this is an article, the power of the study is shit, the methods shit. They found alterations in chronic users ie six joints a week. that's not occasional. the other group was occasional. They found what Beach Bum? what concerns you here? do you even know what the nucleus accumbens does? why would forming new connections be bad? they infer they are, um nope, MJ increases growth factors namely BDNF, hence increased connectivity. They also didn't study or indicate if the changes had any negative effects.

Guess what receptors are in the limbic system (read above I have been through this), CB receptors, if you study any drug in this fashion (and they have) they alter brain function. THC is also lipophilic so 6 joints a week would saturate you for a while, hence chronic use.

This study doesn't control confounding variables, and all it has indicated is that brain alterations occur with usage, probably in line with the clinical effects, bad and good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »

I read the study, this isn't the study this is an article, the power of the study is shit, the methods shit. They found alterations in chronic users ie six joints a week. that's not occasional. the other group was occasional. They found what Beach Bum? what concerns you here? do you even know what the nucleus accumbens does? why would forming new connections be bad? they infer they are, um nope, MJ increases growth factors namely BDNF, hence increased connectivity. They also didn't study or indicate if the changes had any negative effects.

Guess what receptors are in the limbic system (read above I have been through this), CB receptors, if you study any drug in this fashion (and they have) they alter brain function. THC is also lipophilic so 6 joints a week would saturate you for a while, hence chronic use.

This study doesn't control confounding variables, and all it has indicated is that brain alterations occur with usage, probably in line with the clinical effects, bad and good.

Nothing concerns me here.  I'm just trying to understand your position.  You're sort of all over the place.  You previously said occasional, responsible use has no adverse effects.  When I posted this study, you then said any use by a developing brain is problematic (and the brain develops into young adulthood).  Now you're saying six joints a week is not "occasional" (which misstates what the study actually says) so you dismiss the findings of this study.

Here is what it actually says about the frequency of use:

"Half of the group said they used marijuana at least once a week, and the other 20 had not used the drug in the past year, and reported using it less than five times in their life.

Among the group that did smoke, the median use was about six joints per week."

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
6 Joints a week is excessive not occasional.  

If you smoke 6 joints a week you are a pot head.

Basically, you can get high on 1-3 hits.  Joints prolly give you 10-30 hits.  This would mean you got "high" 60 to 150 times if you smoked 6 joints a week.  or 9 -25 times a day. lol.

that's like being drunk all day.