Author Topic: Today's bodybuilding  (Read 18636 times)

70sBB

• Getbig II
Today's bodybuilding
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »
I think modern bodybuilding has really gotten out of hand.  I much prefer the physiques from the late Sixties through the Seventies.  Sure the bodies are much freakier today, guys 5'9" packing 265lbs, but it has thrown everything out of wack.  It's much more than the proportion thing...you look in the mags and the guys look almost inhuman (and not in a good way).  Guys like Schwarzenegger and Nubret packed on tons of muscle but looked human, geez even Mentzer and Fox looked human.  Today's thighs are so out of proportion to calves and the freaking guts...man what can you say...they're so huge and distended.  The actual muscles don't even look good.  I know I'll get killed but that's the way I see things...

johnny1

• Getbig IV
Re: Today's bodybuilding
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:16:45 AM »
Parts of your post make sense however as with everything (like it or not) you can not stop the evolution of the Machine, of course the Physiques from the 60s and 70s had a real ideal about them, guys like Sergio, Arnold, Nubert etc were Huge with lines, waist, shape etc, and the Contests and following were of course alot smaller witch in turn made for a greater "wow" factor etc, BB really started gathering mo-mention in the 1980s with a new-age in BB Hero's in Haney, Demey, Gaspari etc and Exploded in the 1990s with the greatest (IMO) Physiques in History with Yates, Wheeler,Cormeir, Levrone, Dillet, Coleman etc etc @ the end of the Day The evolution of BB to a Point...sic...reached a All time peak in the 1990s...whats happen since then well its all in the eye of the beholder...Re "what sells" same old in that sense isn,t it?  (photo C/O ND)

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:01:08 AM »
Parts of your post make sense however as with everything (like it or not) you can not stop the evolution of the Machine, of course the Physiques from the 60s and 70s had a real ideal about them, guys like Sergio, Arnold, Nubert etc were Huge with lines, waist, shape etc, and the Contests and following were of course alot smaller witch in turn made for a greater "wow" factor etc, BB really started gathering mo-mention in the 1980s with a new-age in BB Hero's in Haney, Demey, Gaspari etc and Exploded in the 1990s with the greatest (IMO) Physiques in History with Yates, Wheeler,Cormeir, Levrone, Dillet, Coleman etc etc @ the end of the Day The evolution of BB to a Point...sic...reached a All time peak in the 1990s...whats happen since then well its all in the eye of the beholder...Re "what sells" same old in that sense isn,t it?  (photo C/O ND)

I think you're correct.  Bodybuilding really did start to take off in the Eighties and the physiques started to get freakier.  While we'll probably disagree on which were the greatest physiques (it's the 70s for me- but I do realize that they wouldn't even place today), I do remember the 1993 Olympia and saying "holy shit"!  Yates was amazingly thick and muscular (setting a new standard) and Wheeler and Dillet were "sick".  I think that year you really started seeing an ever greater change in the sport.
I actually remember reading an old article in Muscle Builder (I think written by Rick Wayne) circa 1970-71 in which he also questioned the direction of BB and whether the physiques of Arnold and Sergio were "too much".
By the way- great shot fo Flex.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:03 AM »
I much prefer the 60 - 70s look but this is perfection in my eyes  8)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 05:17:41 AM »
I think you're correct.  Bodybuilding really did start to take off in the Eighties and the physiques started to get freakier.  While we'll probably disagree on which were the greatest physiques (it's the 70s for me- but I do realize that they wouldn't even place today), I do remember the 1993 Olympia and saying "holy shit"!  Yates was amazingly thick and muscular (setting a new standard) and Wheeler and Dillet were "sick".  I think that year you really started seeing an ever greater change in the sport.
I actually remember reading an old article in Muscle Builder (I think written by Rick Wayne) circa 1970-71 in which he also questioned the direction of BB and whether the physiques of Arnold and Sergio were "too much".
By the way- great shot fo Flex.
Lol...im about 99% sure i read the same Article in a old mag and that was up to the year 1971....Sergio looked from another planet in 1972-73 as did Arnold in 1973-74...Then (IMO) the next Big jump in Standards (in terms of Conditioning and size) wasn,t til 1984 when Haney Strolled out on the stage @ the O in NY with a Incredible Physique...1991 Haney took it a Step higher in Standards, Then Yates in 1993 Set the Bar again, to this day im @ odds witch was the Mother of all Standards... Yates in 1993 or Coleman in 1998....Both were Unbelievable in those years... :-\ :-\ :-\

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:42:26 AM »
Haney had set the Standard high in 1991

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:53:21 AM »
Sergio and Arnold had the 70s as the Benchmark

the anabolic mon

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
One of the problems was when the idea of enjoying a hobby became a perceived way to earn a living. Some people were willing to cut corners and compromise their life, health, whatever to make a dollar. 

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »
in the above pic Haney looks great

he stepped it up that year condiditioning-wise, and brought up the quads

cant compare to 1990, everyone was a bit off that year for obvious reasons

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
As long as the judges reward lines and shape more, then the whole bloated whale look will become a non-issue.

It's not the size of the physique but how it looks and of course lines and shape are some of the main factors in this.

Unfortunately, the powers that be seem to not recognise the value of this and so we have the whales.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 05:29:49 AM »
Not a fan of jays Physique however this is one of the few pics ever of Jay in 2009 i thought yip... now THAT'S MR OLYMPIA :o :o :o

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
One thing is for sure, its always been about G4P, schmoes, gays, drugs, more drugs, unhealthy.
So some things never change.
Gayer than Rheo H. Blair.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 11:14:23 PM »
i remember Milos saying that he felt he had the perfect physique in 91-92.  he didn't place for shit.  then he blew his waist up and gained 30 bloated pounds and started placing. the ifbb controls it. start penalizing guys for big guts and they will stop doing the drugs that cause big guts.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 07:39:02 AM »
i remember Milos saying that he felt he had the perfect physique in 91-92.  he didn't place for shit.  then he blew his waist up and gained 30 bloated pounds and started placing. the ifbb controls it. start penalizing guys for big guts and they will stop doing the drugs that cause big guts.

That's an interesting claim. Do the stats support it? Appears so:

Milos' average placings for the years:
1991: 7.2
1992: 8.2
then
1993: 4.5
1994: 6.5
1995: 4.5
1996: 3.3

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
That's an interesting claim. Do the stats support it? Appears so:

Milos' average placings for the years:
1991: 7.2
1992: 8.2
then
1993: 4.5
1994: 6.5
1995: 4.5
1996: 3.3

yup, it's that easy. the IFBB keeps saying the bodybuilders have to keep their bellies in check, but they keep placing guys high with bloated guts.

if they actually start placing guys lower for  crap like that the guys will stop pursueing that look. they will change their cycles to avoid the obvious side effects.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:30 AM »
One of the best of all time and a great person. Now retired from competitive BB until he changes his mind.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »
One of the best of all time and a great person. Now retired from competitive BB until he changes his mind.

Flex is about 45 and and half years old. If he changes his mind and begins training seriously he will be 46 if he competes next July or after during the 2011 season. Do you have some inside info here, stunt, or are you thinking about the upcoming Masters event?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »
Joe, I spoke with Flex about a month ago and he told me that he's retired for good and will spend more quality time with his family.

But I wouidn't be too surprised if he chooses to compete again in the not too distant future.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »
I think modern bodybuilding has really gotten out of hand.  I much prefer the physiques from the late Sixties through the Seventies.  Sure the bodies are much freakier today, guys 5'9" packing 265lbs, but it has thrown everything out of wack.  It's much more than the proportion thing...you look in the mags and the guys look almost inhuman (and not in a good way).  Guys like Schwarzenegger and Nubret packed on tons of muscle but looked human, geez even Mentzer and Fox looked human.  Today's thighs are so out of proportion to calves and the freaking guts...man what can you say...they're so huge and distended.  The actual muscles don't even look good.  I know I'll get killed but that's the way I see things...
X2... You are spot on!

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 10:55:24 AM »
most current fans even the newbies think that the pros in the 90s looked the best and could easily beat the current crop,and a lot of the current pros could look like that if they would just take the time to build a foundation.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 04:23:35 AM »

preach on brother

it has become how much u can weigh, then starve yourself to look ripped

0 symmetry

delts and quads and lats overpwoer chest and arms

gross

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
I have always wanted to look like Frank Zane or Steve reeves...symmetrical, can't think of anyone now who i would use as a role model.

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
I have always wanted to look like Frank Zane or Steve reeves...symmetrical, can't think of anyone now who i would use as a role model.

X2 looks easier to achieve. Easier said than done though.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
X2 looks easier to achieve. Easier said than done though.

Absolutely. Maybe size-wise, Zane's physique is somewhat more easily attainable. But, Frank wasn't as small as many critics whine about, and the symmetry of development is not so easy to come by for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to genetics and knowledge of one's own body.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »

Absolutely. Maybe size-wise, Zane's physique is somewhat more easily attainable. But, Frank wasn't as small as many critics whine about, and the symmetry of development is not so easy to come by for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to genetics and knowledge of one's own body.
Yes i agree, Genetics AND Knowledge are very important. Knowledge comes together with "the mind muscle connection" concentration and really planning your workout, diet, Frank zane was/is the supreme zen master of bodybuilding. His wisdom and knowledge is unparalleled in Bodybuilding.( in my opinion )