Author Topic: HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO KNOW THE SECRET OF LIFE?  (Read 65457 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO KNOW THE SECRET OF LIFE?
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »
What if a cosmic being of infinite wisdom appeared and stated that he would take you on a journey through time and space and would show you every secret to the universe?..secrets such as why are we here, is there a God and who/what is he/her, what is our purpose here, are there other life forms out there, what is beyond the universe,   and are we here through evolution or devine intervention?

But......this being also told you that once you have learned all of these secrets you would have to die since it would be too dangerous for you to share this knowledge with the world..would you take the deal?

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
Re: WHAT FAR WOULD YOU GO TO KNOW THE SECRET OF LIFE?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
There is a verse in the bible that talks about this very thing; Paul wrote this to the Corinthians.

2 Corinthians 12:2-4

2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.
3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows—
4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.

You seem to be searching but in a futile direction, maybe God is tugging at you, just a thought.
W

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »
What if a cosmic being of infinite wisdom appeared and stated that he would take you on a journey through time and space and would show you every secret to the universe?..secrets such as why are we here, is there a God and who/what is he/her, what is our purpose here, are there other life forms out there, what is beyond the universe,   and are we here through evolution or devine intervention?

But......this being also told you that once you have learned all of these secrets you would have to die since it would be too dangerous for you to share this knowledge with the world..would you take the deal?

No.  That would be like killing yourself just to find out if there is anything beyond death, and if so what is it.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
There is a verse in the bible that talks about this very thing; Paul wrote this to the Corinthians.

2 Corinthians 12:2-4

2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.
3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows—
4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.

You seem to be searching but in a futile direction, maybe God is tugging at you, just a thought.

Very nice post...but I don't think God is tugging at me..I (and many others) are pulling away from him....this hypothetical being might reveal that there is no God....and that we are the result of natural phenomena....you never know...but lets say this being told you this..would you STILL believe in God??....thats the question for you to answer to yourself

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »
Very nice post...but I don't think God is tugging at me..I (and many others) are pulling away from him....this hypothetical being might reveal that there is no God....and that we are the result of natural phenomena....you never know...but lets say this being told you this..would you STILL believe in God??....thats the question for you to answer to yourself

Interesting stuff!

Hypothetically, a powerful, more intelligent being from another planet could reveal itself to us and tell us that there is no God.  Yet, that would not mean that there is no God, but simply that this being thinks that there isn't, even if God does exist.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
Interesting stuff!

Hypothetically, a powerful, more intelligent being from another planet could reveal itself to us and tell us that there is no God.  Yet, that would not mean that there is no God, but simply that this being thinks that there isn't, even if God does exist.

very good point...entirely possible

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
I know the secret. Pm me if u want ;)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 04:36:58 AM »
What if a cosmic being of infinite wisdom appeared and stated that he would take you on a journey through time and space and would show you every secret to the universe?..secrets such as why are we here, is there a God and who/what is he/her, what is our purpose here, are there other life forms out there, what is beyond the universe,   and are we here through evolution or devine intervention?

Honestly, while I'm remotely curious as to how it all began and what's out there, I wouldn't even be tempted to give up my life to know, as I rarely spend any time thinking about it. It's just not that big a deal to me as life goes on, and it's what you make of it. Now if he could solve the rough idle on my 79 Bandit Trans Am, I might consider it..

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:14:17 AM »

Not unless I was extremely depressed and 100% suicidal at the moment.
R

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
Not unless I was extremely depressed and 100% suicidal at the moment.

Hahahah...funny!..I guess if you are suicidal anyway, it would be worth it to know!

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 01:47:45 PM »

You can't pull away from God. I liken your pulling away (and many others) from God to a fish (a 2lbs catfish) caught on the hook (a 19/0) and the fisherman releases the drag and let's you run until you are too tired to go any farther because 1) the weight  of the hook (burden of this world) is too great for you to carry and 2) you are on a short line (short life span) anyway. Then when you are done fighting he reels you in and decides whther or not to keep you or throw you back in.

If this hypothetical being of infinite wisdom were to snatch me up I would say, yes dear hypothetical being, you must be God Almighty and there is none beside you, so show me every mystery and secret that you have witheld from mankind and I will shed this earth suit quicker than you can say let there be light.
Now, my question to you, when it comes to the death part are we talking Christian death or non christian death? There is a difference you know? I would only die if it was the Christian death.

HM
W

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
You can't pull away from God. I liken your pulling away (and many others) from God to a fish (a 2lbs catfish) caught on the hook (a 19/0) and the fisherman releases the drag and let's you run until you are too tired to go any farther because 1) the weight  of the hook (burden of this world) is too great for you to carry and 2) you are on a short line (short life span) anyway. Then when you are done fighting he reels you in and decides whther or not to keep you or throw you back in.

If this hypothetical being of infinite wisdom were to snatch me up I would say, yes dear hypothetical being, you must be God Almighty and there is none beside you, so show me every mystery and secret that you have witheld from mankind and I will shed this earth suit quicker than you can say let there be light.
Now, my question to you, when it comes to the death part are we talking Christian death or non christian death? There is a difference you know? I would only die if it was the Christian death.

HM

Good point...what do you consider to be a christian death and a non-christian death?..

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »
Good point...what do you consider to be a christian death and a non-christian death?..

Technically a Christian death is no different than a non christian death. It's what allegedly happens after the death that is different. Which of course is totally in the realm of "no one knows, but everyone has an opinion"

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »

This is according to the bible not an opinion.

Christian After Death = Eternity is spent in Heaven or Paradise with God, in a state that is beautiful beyond our ability to conceive.
Non-Christian After Death = Eternity is spent in Hell with Satan and his demons. All are tormented and tortured, in isolation from God, without any hope of mercy or relief.

Andreisdaman, I think you know what I meant but some like to be "TECHNICAL"

HM
W

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »

Christian After Death = Eternity is spent in Heaven or Paradise with God, in a state that is beautiful beyond our ability to conceive.
Non-Christian After Death = Eternity is spent in Hell with Satan and his demons. All are tormented and tortured, in isolation from God, without any hope of mercy or relief.

HM

Well..depends on what you believe...I don't believe in christian death or in any other death....you die..you die..thats it.....you don't go anywhere to spend eternity with some mystical being..thats something we made up to comfort us in the face of death.....do dogs go to heaven?...I think not..how about elephants?

We die and we just simply return to that state in which we were originally made from...whether it be dust, energy, what have you...

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
Well..depends on what you believe...I don't believe in christian death or in any other death....you die..you die..thats it.....you don't go anywhere to spend eternity with some mystical being..thats something we made up to comfort us in the face of death.....do dogs go to heaven?...I think not..how about elephants?

We die and we just simply return to that state in which we were originally made from...whether it be dust, energy, what have you...

...you die..thats it.....you don't go anywhere to spend eternity with some mystical being..thats something we made up to comfort us in the face of death.....do dogs go to heaven?...I think not..how about elephants?

Far be it from me to tread on a man's beliefs but I will always provide biblical scripture for any questions asked. If the bible is true animals will be in heaven.

Isaiah 11: 6-9 says:
6 The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.

And

Isaiah 65:17-19, 25 says:
17 "Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.
18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people;the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.

25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, but dust will be the serpent's food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the LORD.

The bible says animals will be on the new earth but not corrupted by sin. I could be misinterpreting this but it seems like after the corrupt earth is distroyed and passed away a new one will be created free of corruption. This means no more bad people and most of all no more sin. I think its worth hoping for because I would love to play with a lion or not have to kill to eat, how about you? And if the bible is a fairytale and we all end up the way you say we will (dust and/or energy) I lose nothing but if the bible is correct well you know the rest of that story.

HM

W

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
Good try...but no cigar.....so if a wolf eats a lamb then they would both go to heaven and actually spend time with each other???....hard to believe....

Lets face it..there is no Heaven...there could be a being  who created us...but you are not going to reside wherever he/she is when you die....how do you make that journey exactly?...

not trying to belittle your belief system...just looking at things scientifically....if you're a believer then you're a believer...I'm not

We simply die, then decompose

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »
Good try...but no cigar.....so if a wolf eats a lamb then they would both go to heaven and actually spend time with each other???....hard to believe....

Lets face it..there is no Heaven...there could be a being  who created us...but you are not going to reside wherever he/she is when you die....how do you make that journey exactly?...

not trying to belittle your belief system...just looking at things scientifically....if you're a believer then you're a believer...I'm not

We simply die, then decompose

The verses provided do not say that animals go to heaven when they die but only says that animals will be in heaven. I have never read anything in the bible saying that God has a salvation plan for animals; I do not know where animals go after they die.

You hope there is no Heaven and that's the best you can do with that; you shouldn't say that as a matter of fact. Anyway, I have given you verse upon verse from the source I believe in to answer your questions as best I can, you on the other hand have given me nothing but your OPINION can you at least provide something that says there is no God or Heaven. Maybe there is a non-believer's bible out there you can quote from but your OPINION means nothing. The only truth you have stated is that when we (Man or animal) die we decompose, now that is truth! Now I respect that you have chosen science to be your God but remember science is about gathering knowledge about nature, ect. Science only studys what has already been laid down by... it does not create by itself and that is a fact. Anyway live your life as you please and die as you will but one thing is true you will die!

HM

HM

W

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »
The verses provided do not say that animals go to heaven when they die but only says that animals will be in heaven. I have never read anything in the bible saying that God has a salvation plan for animals; I do not know where animals go after they die.

You hope there is no Heaven and that's the best you can do with that; you shouldn't say that as a matter of fact. Anyway, I have given you verse upon verse from the source I believe in to answer your questions as best I can, you on the other hand have given me nothing but your OPINION can you at least provide something that says there is no God or Heaven. Maybe there is a non-believer's bible out there you can quote from but your OPINION means nothing. The only truth you have stated is that when we (Man or animal) die we decompose, now that is truth! Now I respect that you have chosen science to be your God but remember science is about gathering knowledge about nature, ect. Science only studys what has already been laid down by... it does not create by itself and that is a fact. Anyway live your life as you please and die as you will but one thing is true you will die!

HM

HM

Here's the thing with most atheists, or agnostics.. We don't hope there is no heaven.. we don't really hope anything. We tend to base our belief, or lack of belief on what information we have at hand. Currently, science (the same science you depend on when you get sick, break your leg, trust in homogenizing  the milk you drink, designed the building you work or visit in, the aircraft you flew in etc etc) doesn't support the notion of life after death. It tends to support the contention that the same thing that happens to the possum you ran over last week, happens to us. Most people aren't losing sleep over the fact Bessy the cow got a pin through the brain and is now being served at McDonalds. Most people, Christians included, belief Bessy is gone.. no afterlife chewing cud in the beautiful meadows with the sun shining down on the sunflowers while a slight breeze rustles the tall green grass. Well, atheists and agnostics figure there is no difference.. I suspect if you spoke fluent bovine, you might learn the cows believe in some cushy, wonderful eternity because they too don't cotton to the idea of death all that much. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:42 AM »
agnostic..you r having a discussion with hustle... ???

might as well argue with a weed wacker :(
carpe` vaginum!

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
agnostic..you r having a discussion with hustle... ???

might as well argue with a weed wacker :(

Explain yourself, my fellow Marylander? BTW I prefer "stop sign".
W

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »
Here's the thing with most atheists, or agnostics.. We don't hope there is no heaven.. we don't really hope anything. We tend to base our belief, or lack of belief on what information we have at hand. Currently, science (the same science you depend on when you get sick, break your leg, trust in homogenizing  the milk you drink, designed the building you work or visit in, the aircraft you flew in etc etc) doesn't support the notion of life after death. It tends to support the contention that the same thing that happens to the possum you ran over last week, happens to us. Most people aren't losing sleep over the fact Bessy the cow got a pin through the brain and is now being served at McDonalds. Most people, Christians included, belief Bessy is gone.. no afterlife chewing cud in the beautiful meadows with the sun shining down on the sunflowers while a slight breeze rustles the tall green grass. Well, atheists and agnostics figure there is no difference.. I suspect if you spoke fluent bovine, you might learn the cows believe in some cushy, wonderful eternity because they too don't cotton to the idea of death all that much. 

Nice post...sums it up better than I can....

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

Nice post

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO KNOW THE SECRET OF LIFE?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »
I know this is an old thread but instead of puting up a similar thread I'll bump this one for anyone who chooses to respond or want to talk about this topic

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »

HM

what a crock of shit.