Author Topic: Lats and bench presses  (Read 4783 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Lats and bench presses
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »
Anybody have good links to the role or importance that lats play in bench presses?

any studies?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Lats and bench presses
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
Check Westside stuff, I don't care enough. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »
Check Westside stuff, I don't care enough. :)
LOL will do I dont think it will help though

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
 ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »
;D
LOL says the boy who thinks that "there is zero lat involvement in any type of press"  ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
LMAO from the powerlifting bench press set up sticky...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/bench_press_600_pounds_a_12_step_program;jsessionid=96710AEC60199F91BE1F4352D43F6FFB-hh.hydra

"I'm talking about the horizontal plane here. In other words, you must perform rows, rows, and more rows. "If you want to bench big then you need to train the lats." I've heard both George Hilbert and Kenny Patterson say this for years when asked about increasing the bench press. When you bench you're on a horizontal plane. So would it make sense from a balance perspective to train the lats with pulldowns, which are on a vertical plane? Nope. Stick to the barbell row if you want a big bench"

but hey I guess you know more than everybody else right dizzle?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »
LMAO from the powerlifting bench press set up sticky...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/bench_press_600_pounds_a_12_step_program;jsessionid=96710AEC60199F91BE1F4352D43F6FFB-hh.hydra

"I'm talking about the horizontal plane here. In other words, you must perform rows, rows, and more rows. "If you want to bench big then you need to train the lats." I've heard both George Hilbert and Kenny Patterson say this for years when asked about increasing the bench press. When you bench you're on a horizontal plane. So would it make sense from a balance perspective to train the lats with pulldowns, which are on a vertical plane? Nope. Stick to the barbell row if you want a big bench"

but hey I guess you know more than everybody else right dizzle?
Check the thread on the training board..........Wolfy stopped by with a link. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »
I don't know too much about the importance etc of lats in the bench press. What I do know is that since I have been hitting my upper back and lats a lot more in training my stability on the bench and overall technique has improved.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »
Keith Wassung, no stranger to the iron game :

USE OF THE LATS IN BENCH PRESSING

An often-overlooked component of the bench press is the use and development of the muscles of the back and in particular the lats. Very few lifters utilize the strength of the lats in their bench press and when they are able to incorporate lat contraction into their exercises, immediate increase is always achieved. Here is how you incorporate the lats into your bench press: Take an empty bar or even a wooden rod and assume the bench press position. Lower the bar to the chest and pause. Instead of driving the weight up with the arms, contract or flare the lats in an outward direction. If you have decent lat development, you should see the bar move several inches off the chest. This takes practice to utilize the lats in this manner, but be persistent and practice over and over with an empty bar, gradually adding weight as you get used to the movement. The eventual goal is to use the lats as sort of a cushion or coiled spring when lowering the bar and then contracting them strongly on the initial drive at the same time you are pressing with the arms. DO NOT walk into the gym tomorrow and attempt this with your max poundageif you do you will fail. I have worked with athletes who have increased their maximum bench press anywhere from 20-50lbs within 2 weeks as a result of using this technique. This also requires strong well-developed lats, which are developed by chins and rowing. (Check out Cyberpumps Training Hard Section for articles on chins and rowing-incredible info)

http://www.martygallagher.com/riverhorse/riverhorse_more/280_0_14_0_C/