Author Topic: Marijuana & Muscles: The Bodybuilding Benefits of Marijuana Supplementation*  (Read 20036 times)

Ross Erstling

• Getbig III
  • Owner, Supreme Sports Enhancements
Marijuana & Muscles: The Bodybuilding Benefits of Marijuana Supplementation*

By Ross Erstling

I've been supplementing with a remarkable medicinal herb called Cannabis, most commonly known as Marijuana, for the past 10 years. The leaves and flowers of the herb are dried and ground up in to a fine preparation, to be rolled in a cigarette paper as a "joint"(or cigar, which is known as a "blunt") or to be consumed via a pipe or bong.

The effects are strong and very enjoyable. I feel relaxed yet ENERGETIC, creative, focused, philosophical/thoughtful, and a general feeling of well-being and even euphoria. My body feels pleasant and my senses seem to be stimulated(enhanced), so general activities are significantly more gratifying. In addition, activities that are already pleasure-inducing such as sex(and even working out) are even more pleasurable while under the influence of Marijuana.

The PRIMARY psychoactive is THC(Tetrahydrocannabinol), although Marijuana contains HUNDREDS of other powerful psychoactive chemicals that are classified as "cannabinoids". However, because these other psychoactives have significantly lower burning temperatures, it is primarily THC only that is absorbed in the body. Furthermore, It has been shown that the primary active component of cannabis, Δ9-THC, is converted to the more psychoactive 11-hydroxy-THC by the liver. Titration to the desired effect by ingestion is more difficult than through inhalation, due to the long onset time for the effects.

For me, Marijuana is a medical herb that has benefits that extend far beyond the scope of bodybuilding; I'm talking about QUALITY OF LIFE! It has numerous benefits on both, mental and physical health, all of which drastically outweigh the small potentially negative effects. In this thread however, I want to discuss how it benefits me as a BODYBUILDER, and why I think everyone should incorporate Marijuana in to their supplement regimen...

Using Marijuana before your workout will increase athletic performance, which was recently proven in a study that I'm trying to find right now as I write this(high). The study concluded that Marijuana "puts you in the 'zone'", most likely as a result of increased creativity, decreased levels of stress and anxiety, and a general feeling of well-being or euphoria. In addition, the MIND-MUSCLE connection is extremely strong, most likely due to dual hemisphere brain activation which only occurs while you are "high". In other words, when you're high, your brain activity changes, and regions of the brain that are normally inactive are now active, and other parts which are not usually SIMULTANEOUSLY active, now are. Essentially, you are experiencing enhanced cognitive abilities, which allows you to experience a greater awareness/perception of the connection between MIND AND BODY.

I also like to smoke post-workout in order to relax, reduce stress(and cortisol), while stimulating my appetite. After I consume a large meal, I will usually wait a few hours and then smoke again so that I can experience a HIGH QUALITY SLEEP. The better(and more) you sleep, the faster your muscles can recover and grow. I work out at night and always have, for this precise reason.

If you have not yet tried Marijuana, I can not stress enough the importance of experimenting for yourself. There are copious misconceptions of Marijuana that still affect some people's perception of the herb and it's use, which is rather unfortunate. Much like Anabolic Steroids, those who have not tried Marijuana will most likely have a general misunderstanding of this remarkable medical gift from nature.

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
Yo man,

Can I get an ounce  ???  ::)

Ross Erstling

• Getbig III
Yo man,

Can I get an ounce  ???  ::)

Yo man,

Can I have your avy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?  :P

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Where can we buy this Cannabis you speak of Ross?

"1"

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
I had a friend in college that looked real good, Nigerian dude, Freshman yr all he would do is 250 diamond pushups at night broken up into sets of 50, he then would do crunches...as soon as he got on the weed, he got lazy, and his eating habits became sloppy and irregular...no more great physique

I recently saw a dude who was about 5'10 190, beast of dude, and he smoked weed...

the conclusion? It can have different effects on different people.

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
Smoked a while back, became completely worthless at everything, lost a good job, couldn't work out worth a shit on it either just wanted to eat.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
Smoked a while back, became completely worthless at everything, lost a good job, couldn't work out worth a shit on it either just wanted to eat.

LOL ;D

Have you given it up completely or do you smoke once in a while?

G.O.A.T.

• Getbig II
  • TEAM LESNAR
I am all for smoking post work out but working out high sucks. I smoke to relax. I really like twisting one up in the parking lot after a hard leg day. That's the best.
TEAM LESNAR

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Using Marijuana before your workout will increase athletic performance, which was recently proven in a study that I'm trying to find right now as I write this(high).

Completely disagree. All it did was turn me into a zombie. I would go as far as to say your post is irresponsible, but nobody listens to you anyway.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
Yeah this thread hasn't been done a thousand times. Shut the fuck up Ross.

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
Re: Marijuana & Muscles: The Bodybuilding Benefits of Marijuana Supplementation*
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
Hey Ross, glad to have you on the board.

I thought that marijuana contributes to gynecomastia?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Marijuana & Muscles: The Bodybuilding Benefits of Marijuana Supplementation*
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
Hey Ross, glad to have you on the board.

I thought that marijuana contributes to gynecomastia?
If you had seen Ross' picture you would have confirmed that already.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:25 PM »
Weeds skyrockets my anxiety and does not relax me at all

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
yet another delusional MJ pundit.

i suppose your study was double blind with random subjects?- in that case, how did you design the placebo?

if it isnt, then dont bother with any publication dipshit.

i think you are, seriously, delusional and experiencing one of the effects of MJ- grandiosity. its a form of psychosis.

hope this helps.

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »
Plus weed lowers test levels apparently:

Effects of marijuana on testosterone in male subjects.

Barnett G, Chiang CW, Licko V.
Abstract

Clinical studies have given contradictory reports on the effect of smoking marijuana on the plasma levels of testosterone in males. A reanalysis of existing data established that testosterone levels are depressed both after smoking one marijuana cigarette and after intravenous infusion of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, a pharmacologically active component of marijuana. Simulation of the marijuana interaction, under the assumption that delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits testosterone production or secretion, suggests a minimum of 24 hours are required for testosterone to return to pre-smoking levels. A series of clinical studies are specified to clarify the nature of the interaction

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
Weeds skyrockets my anxiety and does not relax me at all
it has that effect on alot of people. its an acquired taste.

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »
it has that effect on alot of people. its an acquired taste.

I used to enjoy it if I was on E. Was great to kick start the e or enhance your E buzz.
Your brain chemistry changes as you age though. I find certain drugs have less affect on me as I get older. G and E used to be amazing highs but stopped doing them once it seemed like I wasn't getting as high or feeling as good. I miss those care-free "life is amazing" highs, but I'm glad I don't partake in them much at all anymore.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
I used to enjoy it if I was on E. Was great to kick start the e or enhance your E buzz.
Your brain chemistry changes as you age though. I find certain drugs have less affect on me as I get older. G and E used to be amazing highs but stopped doing them once it seemed like I wasn't getting as high or feeling as good. I miss those care-free "life is amazing" highs, but I'm glad I don't partake in them much at all anymore.
i hear you. xtc used to be amazing. the open minded and open heartedness, the empathy. all surrounded by euphoria, energy, and a ravenous sexual appetite.  now days if i take xtc, i get euphoria and energy, but it doesnt make me any more open minded , empathetic, or loving.  so its not quite as fun, and i dont take it nearly as often anymore.  that was my plan afterall, to assess how the drug changed me, selected the positive aspects, and incorporated them into my sober state of mind.  :)

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »
i hear you. xtc used to be amazing. the open minded and open heartedness, the empathy. all surrounded by euphoria, energy, and a ravenous sexual appetite.  now days if i take xtc, i get euphoria and energy, but it doesnt make me any more open minded , empathetic, or loving.  so its not quite as fun, and i dont take it nearly as often anymore.  that was my plan afterall, to assess how the drug changed me, selected the positive aspects, and incorporated them into my sober state of mind.  :)

Was this before or after taking money from your parents during your cocaine binge  ???  ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
Was this before or after taking money from your parents during your cocaine binge  ???  ;D
.. both, asshole  ;D

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
this isnt a wiggs thread

Ross Erstling

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
The active ingredient in Marijuana, THC(Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol ), increases testosterone in mice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Science 31 July 1981:
Vol. 213. no. 4507, pp. 581 - 583
DOI: 10.1126/science.6264607
Prev | Table of Contents | Next

Articles
Science, Vol 213, Issue 4507, 581-583
Copyright © 1981 by American Association for the Advancement of Science

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol increase plasma testosterone concentrations in mice
S Dalterio, A Bartke, and D Mayfield

Oral administration of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol had a biphasic effect on plasma testosterone concentrations in male mice, causing rapid sustained increases at low doses and subsequent decreases at higher doses. In hypophysectomized and intact mice receiving gonadotropins (human chorionic gonadotropin), treatment with delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol maintained higher plasma testosterone concentrations. Thus, this cannabinoid may interact with gonadotropin and directly influence testicular steroidogenesis in vivo.

THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN CITED BY OTHER ARTICLES:
{{Delta}}9-Tetrahydrocannabinol increases nerve growth factor production by prostate PC-3 cells: Involvement of CB1 cannabinoid receptor and Raf-1.
L. Velasco, L. Ruiz, M. G. Sánchez, and I. Díaz-Laviada (2001)
FEBS J. 268, 531-535

Cannabinoids in male mice: effects on fertility and spermatogenesis.
S Dalterio, F Badr, A Bartke, and D Mayfield (1982)
Science 216, 315-316

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/213/4507/581[/QUOTE]

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Marijuana can increase your heart rate quite a bit. Wouldn't it be dangerous smoking right before the gym. Especially if you're on a cycle that increases blood pressure. When you're really exerting yourself at the gym your blood pressure and heart rate can really climb pretty high.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »
Had a nice phatty earlier then went to Chinese Buffett. Good shit

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »
I use to use weed to eat more while bodybuilding...To bad I work for a company that tests now....It worked miracles for my calorie intake
You Can't Do It!!!