Author Topic: Favorite short lived gimmick?!?  (Read 7614 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Favorite short lived gimmick?!?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:08 PM »
Hogan deserved every penny he got because he made wrestling what it is. He filled the arenas night after night and made McMahon rich.

Very true.....he turned it into shit, imo..... ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
Insofar as what Vince was looking to do with/to the wrestling industry - the direction he wanted to take it - Hogan delivered better than probably anyone else was capable of doing at that time.

That said, there were & are plenty of people who don’t like what was done, and thus, don’t like the Hulkster or the old man.

Traditionalists who were raised on champions like Harley Race, Terry Funk, and Ric Flair likely scoff at the circus that was the WWF.
But, you can’t argue with success.

Vince’s vision reached the most people, and that’s why his product put the most asses in the most seats, and it‘s why everyone else has gone out of business while he has persevered…PERIOD!

I can’t stand Jim Carey and Will Ferrell, but most people do seem to like them.
Regardless of what I think, those two tards command $25+ million per picture.

And, I’m sure that neither they, nor their studios give a rat’s ass what I think because they're too busy counting their money.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
Insofar as what Vince was looking to do with/to the wrestling industry - the direction he wanted to take it - Hogan delivered better than probably anyone else was capable of doing at that time.

That said, there were & are plenty of people who don’t like what was done, and thus, don’t like the Hulkster or the old man.

Traditionalists who were raised on champions like Harley Race, Terry Funk, and Ric Flair likely scoff at the circus that was the WWF.
But, you can’t argue with success.

Vince’s vision reached the most people, and that’s why his product put the most asses in the most seats, and it‘s why everyone else has gone out of business while he has persevered…PERIOD!

I can’t stand Jim Carey and Will Ferrell, but most people do seem to like them.
Regardless of what I think, those two tards command $25+ million per picture.

And, I’m sure that neither they, nor their studios give a rat’s ass what I think because they're too busy counting their money.

Oh, I won't disagree with VKM and Hogans financial success, but they killed the sport for me.  A good comparison, and I don't know if you follow it, but NASCAR.  In the south everybody followed it, at least casually for years....throw keg parties during races, etc... but once corporate America took the sport over in the 90's it has turned to shit.  tons of money, but that isn't how I measure whether something is a "good product" or not.

And your acting analogy is perfect.  Hogan is like Arnie during the 80's and Flair, Funk, Race are like DeNiro, Nicholson and Newman.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
tons of money, but that isn't how I measure whether something is a "good product" or not.

A product is only good to a person if he or she likes it and/or benefits from it.

Vince would say his was/is a good product because it literally made him a billionaire.
Marks of the early MTV demographic would say it was a good product because it was packaged especially for them.
But, the traditionalists from the South, Mid-Atlantic, Northwest, etc. will always cringe at what they consider a mockery of their fundamentals.

And they're all absolutely right.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 04:40:46 AM »
Vince McMahon owes everything he has to his writing staff and his big name wrestlers who made him money.