Author Topic: Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?  (Read 15681 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »
So is Dr. Ben Carson, one of the best neurosurgeons on the planet.....NEXT!!!

My BACHELOR OF SCIENCE degree in Engineering says otherwise. Comeback when you get a clue and and some sense.

Your buddy on this thread has one of those and he, like you, believe that there is a magical dead zombie watching you in the sky and that a talking snake existed and spoke to humans and that dinosaurs were the horses of yesteryear for mankind and on and on and on.

You and he are utterly childlike and you and he have done yourselves no favors here whatsoever in validating and confirming your own immense ignorance in regards to basic Science (and basic rationality).

F.  You know what that is for? FAIL.  You Fail in Science. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
Before I did my Environmental engineering, I did Civil engineering for a year and a half (shudders involuntarily), during which time I did a lot of ME subjects, from Physics (which was great) to Mechanics of Materials (very dry). ME subjects aren't the easiest ones out there and you really need to understand the underlying concepts, to be able to solve the problem, as opposed to Medicine, where it's mostly memorizing and organizing the stored information in an order in your mind.

If you work hard and do well the first and 2nd year, you'll know what you want to specialize in and will do well after that, so make sure you understand the basics. Good luck.

I enjoyed Physics, as well. I had the same teacher for both Physics I and II, a short guy who reminded me of Scrooge McDuck.

As for Mechanics of Materials, the labs are a lot more interesting.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
Your buddy on this thread has one of those and he, like you, believe that there is a magical dead zombie watching you in the sky and that a talking snake existed and spoke to humans and that dinosaurs were the horses of yesteryear for mankind and on and on and on.

You and he are utterly childlike and you and he have done yourselves no favors here whatsoever in validating and confirming your own immense ignorance in regards to basic Science (and basic rationality).

F.  You know what that is for? FAIL.  You Fail in Science. 

Once again, the degree on my wall says otherwise. I'll take that over a certified buffoon, with a political science degree, who simply had the fortune of inheriting money from his parents.

F is for FOOL, what you continue to show yourself to be. Run along now. Grown folks are talking!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2010, 10:15:45 PM »
I'm totally ok with the fact that engineering attracts religious lunatics more than other fields of study if that's the case. Any sources on this btw? That's something I seriously doubt I'll have to deal with up here in northern europe though.

But even if 95% of all engineers were lunatics, that still doesn't change anything about engineering itself. If you're interested in technical stuff and physics and like to design products/solutions and help people then go study engineering. That's what I want to do, at least.

How strong of a math background do you have?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:45 PM »
That's cool. So you come from a family of well educated people? Did that influence your studying/career path?

None of my parents have any sort of higher education although we have a couple of relatives that are engineers and lawyers etc. I just never felt the urge/pressure to start studying until fairly recently and I hope I can keep the motivation throughout the next upcoming years. All I know is that if I don't give it a shot while I'm still young I KNOW that I will regret it later and keep thinking "What if?".

I do have an interest for technical stuff and theoretical physics but my main concern is the mathematical skills required to get a degree in this sort of stuff. I'm hoping that if I put my mind into it I'll get better. Not saying I was exceptionally bad at math in high school, just that I never paid much attention to it or found it interesting. But I think I'm a different person now. Hopefully. I didn't have a goal back then but I do now.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Lovemonkey...  the majority of my family are either PhD's in Engineering or MD's.... and the ones that are neither, have a bachelor's in Engineering LOL

As I mentioned halfway through undergrad at GWU I HATED engineering, I sucked at it and was not doing well, and wanted to switch out.... I approached my dad (who was paying my tuition - GWU at the time (2001-2005) was the most expensive school in the US, and today its the second most expensive school) and I told him I want to switch to business...  his answer was absolutely not, he told me that if I had originally started in business it would be ok, but now that I started Engineering I had to finish it and I could not run away everytime I was faced with a challenge...  I hated him soooo much at that point... and was so pissed, but I stuck it out and things got better...  Ask anyone who was there at my undergrad graduation and they will tell you I had a HUGE SMILE from ear to ear, aside from being sooo happy to FINALLY be done, I had felt really accomplished that I had stuck it out, and really really battled to earn that degree... it was fucking hard, I'm not gonna lie, it came easy to some people I knew, but to me it felt like a battle...  And then who would've thought 3 years after graduation that I would decide to go back and do a Master's in Engineering!!!  But this time it was different, my work experience helped, and my GPA at graduation of my Master's was a 3.6 (a lot better than what my GPA was in undergrad).  

Yes, seeing a lot of people in my family pursue Engineering definitely influenced me, but for anyone in this field, it comes down to pure determination and sticking it out.  I keep telling myself that now that I'm doing my PhD - because this is much harder than anything I did in undergrad or in my Masters!

Engineering was very heavy in Math... Aside from doing the basics:  Calc I, II, and III... Physicis I, and II,  and a SHIT LOAD OF Statistics.... you also have the math from out of space that you do in your Core engineering classes.  There were times, even as recently as in my Masters, where the professor would be talking and writing down formulas on the board and it seems like a foreign language!!!  But you study it and you get it.  As I also said earlier, I've never considered myself ALL that intelligent.... no, I don't think I'm dumb or whatever, but I'm no genius, and I'm no Math Whiz.... you study the material over and over and over and over... and you will eventually at some point in time just start to get it!

The funny thing is I always felt out of place in Engineering school.... still do til today... I mean I don't look like an Engineer... picture all these math geniuses sitting there behind a computer, with their pocket protectors and making engineering jokes (seriously they were so lame) looking like wannabe Bill Gates, and here I walk in at 260 lbs wearing a spandex muscle shirt (it was undergrad, come on :-D) with my food, tuna and grilled chicken IN CLASS and sitting amongst them!!!  Was definitely a sight  to behold!

Look man, if this is something YOU REALLY want to do, then go for it, even if you don't think your math skills are all that, the degree will help you get better at it!!!!  Just keep an open mind and stay persistent!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
Big Ach is the exception to the rule I might add.  He and his father ARE NOT shitbrains and have built a great empire.  So there are exceptions therefore do not think me unreasonable.  However, the majority of you WILL NEVER BE Big Ach or as successful.

Hope this helps  :-\

TA, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the kind words brother!!!!  I still have a long way to go man.... I'm a baby in this field!!!  And the majority of them  are probably better off not being me or anything like me LOL

And putting me and my father in the same sentence when it comes to business is like putting Jay Cutler and Billy Guns on the same stage!!!  My father will own me night and day in regards to Engineering and business, 20 times over! 

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »
why would memorization be harder, I disagree

I think it different for different people, some people have an easier time solving formulas and figuring shit out, some people have an easier time LEARNING facts!  Do you know what I'm saying?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »
And going back to topic for a second, yes Osama Bin Laden was an Engineer...  and his family does have a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Engineering business which he himself is not involved in (apparently he had over 50 siblings), but it's one of the biggest privately-owned Engineering companies in Europe and the Middle East, maybe the world.

My company has never done any business with the Bin Laden Group, but I know people who have and I heard its ridiculous the amount of money that the company deals with and just sick sick salaries....

This is their website:  http://www.sbg.com.sa/

Thing is the company will always be tainted by their rogue brother's name, and whether he is or isn't involved with them, no one will ever really know, but they claim they have completely cut him off!

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »
aww...billions of years and now somehow things can gain genetic code???  how so?  please explain since you seem to come across as if you have a more serious understanding of the subject of evolution...

my example was simple, and accurate.  an animal CANNOT gain genetic information.  period.  if you think ti can, please show some proof and ill gladly retract my statements.  otherwise dont make insulting comments as if i havent read, or dont have a knowledgable background on thes ubject at hand. 

No, but its offspring can through mutations during conception.

Though I'm not a biologist or anything of the sort I think it's safe to say that early self replicating molecules had way less information than the ones found in a homo sapiens.

Also, two strands of dna with the equal amount of genes can have different amounts of information depending on the amount of genes that are scrap(doesn't form protein) and the ones that lie dormant. A dormant gene can translate into more information in later generations.

Didn't mean to offend you, that was just my observation.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2010, 11:49:31 PM »
How strong of a math background do you have?

Not particularly strong at all mostly due to my weak efforts in high school. Though whenever I did do my homework and put effort in to it I usually did pretty well. I have no idea what that translates in to university studies though. I'll find out.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2010, 11:58:59 PM »
Lovemonkey...  the majority of my family are either PhD's in Engineering or MD's.... and the ones that are neither, have a bachelor's in Engineering LOL

As I mentioned halfway through undergrad at GWU I HATED engineering, I sucked at it and was not doing well, and wanted to switch out.... I approached my dad (who was paying my tuition - GWU at the time (2001-2005) was the most expensive school in the US, and today its the second most expensive school) and I told him I want to switch to business...  his answer was absolutely not, he told me that if I had originally started in business it would be ok, but now that I started Engineering I had to finish it and I could not run away everytime I was faced with a challenge...  I hated him soooo much at that point... and was so pissed, but I stuck it out and things got better...  Ask anyone who was there at my undergrad graduation and they will tell you I had a HUGE SMILE from ear to ear, aside from being sooo happy to FINALLY be done, I had felt really accomplished that I had stuck it out, and really really battled to earn that degree... it was fucking hard, I'm not gonna lie, it came easy to some people I knew, but to me it felt like a battle...  And then who would've thought 3 years after graduation that I would decide to go back and do a Master's in Engineering!!!  But this time it was different, my work experience helped, and my GPA at graduation of my Master's was a 3.6 (a lot better than what my GPA was in undergrad).  

Yes, seeing a lot of people in my family pursue Engineering definitely influenced me, but for anyone in this field, it comes down to pure determination and sticking it out.  I keep telling myself that now that I'm doing my PhD - because this is much harder than anything I did in undergrad or in my Masters!

Engineering was very heavy in Math... Aside from doing the basics:  Calc I, II, and III... Physicis I, and II,  and a SHIT LOAD OF Statistics.... you also have the math from out of space that you do in your Core engineering classes.  There were times, even as recently as in my Masters, where the professor would be talking and writing down formulas on the board and it seems like a foreign language!!!  But you study it and you get it.  As I also said earlier, I've never considered myself ALL that intelligent.... no, I don't think I'm dumb or whatever, but I'm no genius, and I'm no Math Whiz.... you study the material over and over and over and over... and you will eventually at some point in time just start to get it!

The funny thing is I always felt out of place in Engineering school.... still do til today... I mean I don't look like an Engineer... picture all these math geniuses sitting there behind a computer, with their pocket protectors and making engineering jokes (seriously they were so lame) looking like wannabe Bill Gates, and here I walk in at 260 lbs wearing a spandex muscle shirt (it was undergrad, come on :-D) with my food, tuna and grilled chicken IN CLASS and sitting amongst them!!!  Was definitely a sight  to behold!

Look man, if this is something YOU REALLY want to do, then go for it, even if you don't think your math skills are all that, the degree will help you get better at it!!!!  Just keep an open mind and stay persistent!

This is the kind of scenario I predict for myself... that'll start studying engineering and halfway through wonder what the in the holy fuck I've gotten myself into and freak out and then hopefully being able to push myself through it. I would definitely take pride in doing so. Right now I can't envision myself on a redneck 9-5 punch the clock kind of job. And engineering stuff does interest me, especially engines and industrial stuff.

It's nice reading your story and thanks for the encouragement.
from incomplete data

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »
I'm curios to know since I hopefully will be starting my studies this upcoming january.

How was the studying? Same level of brutal as med school or easier? I've heard that chemical engineering is pretty damn difficult and that other types of engineering can vary depending on the school etc. Did you enjoy it?

Job prospects?

Any tips/hints?

Well, in Finland first two years are just mathematics, and after that they teach you the trade. Then you have to do your study for the diploma, which is the last year. No big deal. In USA they give you a lollipop to suck and you can do just about anything you like for the next years. Then they post you your diploma. In Russia they first give you your diploma and then you have to study what the heck it is all about. So as you see, there is some differences by country...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »
Not particularly strong at all mostly due to my weak efforts in high school. Though whenever I did do my homework and put effort in to it I usually did pretty well. I have no idea what that translates in to university studies though. I'll find out.

Have you done Algebra II (w/Trigonometry)? If not, you made need to take a remedial course in that, when you get to college. From there, it's Calculus (though, you may give Pre-Calculus a shot first). Remember that, in mechanical engineering, you will likely have to go to Cal III, as I did. The other engineering majors usually only go to Cal II.

Don't be discouraged about your high school efforts. What's done is done. I've met many people who were average in high school, who did much better in college, because they simply got serious about studying, managed their time better, and simply put their nose to the grindstone.

You'll find in college (and in life, in general), it's more often those who simply persevere and work hard that get it done.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2010, 06:04:43 AM »
Have you done Algebra II (w/Trigonometry)? If not, you made need to take a remedial course in that, when you get to college. From there, it's Calculus (though, you may give Pre-Calculus a shot first). Remember that, in mechanical engineering, you will likely have to go to Cal III, as I did. The other engineering majors usually only go to Cal II.

Don't be discouraged about your high school efforts. What's done is done. I've met many people who were average in high school, who did much better in college, because they simply got serious about studying, managed their time better, and simply put their nose to the grindstone.

You'll find in college (and in life, in general), it's more often those who simply persevere and work hard that get it done.

Well, where I'll be studying(outside of america) the classes are not exactly the same. But I think I know the kind of classes you are referring to. I was planning on investing in a couple of math books to dig into before classes start.

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually starting to get excited for this. I know it's going to suck bad at times when I'm freaked out about exams and homework but it'll be worth it in the end.
from incomplete data

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
Scientific positivists are just as wrong as creationists.

Plus I have not observed a great number of creationists in engineering at all (at least not here in Europe). Most are atheists or religious only by certificate (aka atheists).

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
Scientific positivists are just as wrong as creationists.

Plus I have not observed a great number of creationists in engineering at all (at least not here in Europe). Most are atheists or religious only by certificate (aka atheists).

May I ask you to elaborate briefly? I'm curios what your viewpoint is.
from incomplete data

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
May I ask you to elaborate briefly? I'm curios what your viewpoint is.

A scientific positivist thinks that there is nothing to the world other than what (natural) science can describe resp. "explain".

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
A scientific positivist thinks that there is nothing to the world other than what (natural) science can describe resp. "explain".
EVERYTHING has an explanation whether we have the capability of understanding it or not.  No need to invoke the Supernatural.  It is perfectly allright to say, "I don`t know at this time".

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2010, 01:19:35 PM »
EVERYTHING has an explanation whether we have the capability of understanding it or not.  No need to invoke the Supernatural.  It is perfectly allright to say, "I don`t know at this time".

I wasn't talking about the "supernatural". And it has nothing to do with what science can "explain" (better: describe) at any point in time, it's a matter of principle. But I agree that there is no need to put any limits on the human mind, even more reason not to limit the mind to the very restricted area of natural science.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
I have a bachelors and a masters in M.E.  PM me if you have any questions.  It is a great field, very versatile education and you'll have a lot of options when you graduate.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »
I got accepted into school and I'm starting this upcoming january  ;D

Fuck yes.
from incomplete data

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Congrats!

I am a Professional Civil Engineer with a MBA.

Ach already covered the basics but just be prepared to work really hard. If you do not like math change majors now. You will take Cal I, II, III & Differential Equations, calculus based physics and chemistry for engineering majors. Static and dynamics are interesting. Lots of very boring materials classes as mention, but if you really want to be an engineer, you must suck it up and study hard.

I would also like to clear up a few pieces of bad information.

1 - Engineers really need communication skills these days, very few engineers just sit around and crunch numbers today. You will be tasked with a wide range of tasks from status meetings to marketing presentations. The engineers that make the big money are business men, not lab technicians like most think of an engineer. The Indian/Asian engineering wiz's with no communication skills usually don't make it far in this industry. Communication was recently rated the most important aspect missing from engineering curriculum across the US. So these days when you get interviewed they are very specific about your communication and people skills. Engineers NEVER work alone, you will always be a part of a "team" in some way.

2 - Engineering is damn near recession proof if you are a PE, the engineers are typically the last to go from a company unless you suck. Good engineers are EXTREMELY valuable and have more options than almost any field. If you are a lazy and just want a job, engineering is good for that as well, but i promise you will not last long at any good firm. I have worked for some of the largest firms in Houston and the good engineers they had were more valuable than any other position at the firm.

Undergrad degree is tough, but i think anyone can do it if they put their mind to it and study hard. I had no life while i went to school, but i also worked full time. Engineering is the most broad and available degree you can get IMO, and if you are a PE the job markey is basically yours. Plus there are tons of grants and scholarships for engineering and science majors, it really is a very competitive field. I have been offered insane amounts of money to travel overseas, but i enjoy the small business environment these days in which i have more control over. You can make anywhere from 70k to 300k+ as a mechanical engineer in Houston, it just depends on how hard you want to work and how much effort you put into your career. Some engineers like working 8-5 and making a decent salary, other engineers become part of the different engineering societies and market themselves all over the place, this can open doors you never knew existed. If you become an engineer, i challenge you to take part in every engineering society you can and try to become someone in the engineering field. Doing this will ensure you a life of open doors and a very comfortable salary.

Just like anything in life, you get what you give.

Good luck,

8)

kevinf

• Getbig III
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »
Im currently studying mechanical engineering...its not as hard as people make it sound.
Lots of math, but its noo where near as bad as it sounds. I'm taking Calc 5 right now (Advanced Calculus, its basically partial differential equations). It sounds hard, but its really not at all.
Theres plenty of idiots in engineering too, so really ANYONE can get through it. I go to class, but after that I'm just fucking around the dorms and chillaxing with friends and I just study 2 days before exams and im doing good.
People make it seem like you have to study 24/7, but thats not true.
 I did it because it gives lots of job options after graduation and i like math.
I say if you like engineering then go for it!! dont let the math scare you away, its not bad at all!

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »
I'm curios to know since I hopefully will be starting my studies this upcoming january.

How was the studying? Same level of brutal as med school or easier? I've heard that chemical engineering is pretty damn difficult and that other types of engineering can vary depending on the school etc. Did you enjoy it?

Job prospects?

Any tips/hints?

ive been a mech eng since 1992.

TEsticles

• Getbig II
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:24 PM »
I got accepted into school and I'm starting this upcoming january  ;D

Fuck yes.

well done.....after following this thread it's good to see you've  taken  step 1 on the road to livin' your dream..........