Author Topic: Hot Stove in Baseball - Who's going where?  (Read 20220 times)

newmom

Re: Hot Stove in Baseball - Who's going where?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 03:48:30 AM »
I doubt that.  He's three years older than Sabathia without the durability CC has shown throughout the years.

well it was just a "visit" supposedly, so who knows

I guess earlier this week talks in tampa with cashman, steinbrenger and jeter, news was both sides left "feeling good", WTH that means

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 05:23:51 AM »
Jeter and the Yankees will get a deal done, and the Yankees will pay too much.  There's no way around it.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »
jeter might have one or two decent years left in him.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
jeter might have one or two decent years left in him.

I think so too.  But the Yankees are going to pay for much more than that.
Y

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Hot Stove: Dan Uggla to the Braves
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 05:42:17 AM »
Dan Uggla traded to the Braves.

Personally, I think this could be the big impact move of the year.

IMO, if Chipper comes back reasonably healthy they have a pretty loaded batting order.

Something like this:

Heyward
Prado
McCann
Uggla
Chipper
Freeman
McLouth
Gonzalez
Pitcher

Legit World Series contenders IMO.
As empty as paradise

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »
It's hard to include Nate Mclouth as a key piece in any decent order.
Y

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »
Benoit to Detroit..A's offer Beltre 5 years...Sox asking about Upton.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »
Benoit to Detroit..A's offer Beltre 5 years...Sox asking about Upton.

I'm leery about the A's rumor.  They never give LTD to anyone, and Beltre doesn't fit their traditional M.O.

Everyone's asking about Upton.  The price will be ridiculous.
Y

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5842176Free-agent catcher Victor Martinez is bolting the Boston Red Sox to sign with the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple media reports on Tuesday.

Two weeks ago, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein expressed his strong interest in re-signing Martinez and third baseman Adrian Beltre. But he acknowledged competition for the players.

"It always comes down to dollars and years," Epstein said.

Martinez will receive a four-year deal for $50 million, according to Venezuelan reporter Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional, who first reported the agreement. The Associated Press reported that the deal is pending the results of a physical. Martinez made $7.7 million last season.

The Red Sox offered Martinez a choice of a three-year, $36 million deal or a four-year contract for $42 million, according to a major league source. The source said the Red Sox had not been informed of Martinez's decision, but the team was not surprised to hear that he would play elsewhere.

The Orioles and White Sox were also outbid, according to the El Nacional report.

"When guys get to free agency, there are a lot of decisions that have to be made," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said on the "Dale and Holley" program on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "One is by the player, one is by the organization and one is by other teams. Sometimes it doesn't work out where a guy comes back, but that doesn't mean we're not going to be any good. I feel real confident. The winter has to play itself out, it's just beginning and it will be really interesting."

Martinez is a Type-A free agent, meaning the Red Sox will receive compensation for his signing elsewhere -- assuming they offer him arbitration. The Red Sox will receive the Tigers' No. 1 pick (No. 19 overall) and a first-round "sandwich" pick, a selection that will come after the regular first round and before the second round.

The 2011 draft class is anticipated to be very strong, and it may be the last in which the Sox will be able to employ their very successful strategy of paying above slot in later rounds for premium talent that dropped because of contract demands. With the collective bargaining agreement due to expire next November, the draft is expected to undergo extensive revisions as part of negotiations.

The switch-hitting Martinez was extremely productive for the Red Sox since his acquisition from Cleveland at the 2009 trading deadline. Martinez, who turns 32 on Dec. 23, batted .313 in 183 games with the Red Sox, with 28 home runs and 120 RBIs. Last season, he was the only big-league catcher in the majors to hit .300 or better while hitting 20 or more home runs, despite missing 22 games with a fractured left thumb. He was dominating against left-handed pitchers, batting .400, slugging .742 and posting a 1.173 OPS

Martinez is a lifetime .300 hitter, a four-time All-Star and also plays first base.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who was acquired from the Rangers last season, becomes No. 1 on the depth chart at catcher for the Red Sox. The team has until midnight Tuesday night to offer arbitration to longtime catcher Jason Varitek.

"A switch hitter with power, I think we view him potentially as somebody that can really fit he bill as maybe an everyday catcher with us," Francona said of Saltalamacchia, while adding that they aren't just handing him the job.

The Tigers lacked production from the catcher's spot last season. Rookie Alex Aliva, 23, batted .228 in 104 games, while 30-year-old Gerald Laird hit just .207 in 89 games.

Earlier this offseason, Detroit re-signed third baseman Brandon Inge and shortstop Jhonny Peralta and signed reliever Joaquin Benoit.

Detroit finished 81-81 in 2010, which was good for third place in the AL Central.

Information from ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes and The Associated Press contributed to this report. Ignacio Serrano is a regular contributor to ESPNdeportes.com.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
Tough to pass judgement until we see all the moves the sox make.  But, the 4/50 seems very reasonable for Martinez, and I'm surprised Boston didn't offer this.

Short term, it's a big hit to their offense.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
cashman is playing a little hardball.

i understand hes trying to send a message of culture change in the yankees front office, but jeter was the wrong guy to make an example out of IMO

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
cashman is playing a little hardball.

i understand hes trying to send a message of culture change in the yankees front office, but jeter was the wrong guy to make an example out of IMO

I agree.....Jeter is by far the face of the Yankees resurgence and should be treated as such.  Regardless of cost.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 07:42:54 AM »
I agree.....Jeter is by far the face of the Yankees resurgence and should be treated as such.  Regardless of cost.

Disagree.  The Yankees have already made him a mega millionaire, giving him the second richest contract in baseball history.

He was the worst hitter on the Yankees last year, and have apparently made him an offer that's way higher than his current level dictates.

I still think they meet in the middle at 4/72.  But to give six years to a guy who will be 42 at the end of the deal is insane, as it was with the last two years on ARod's deal.
Y

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »
Disagree.  The Yankees have already made him a mega millionaire, giving him the second richest contract in baseball history.

He was the worst hitter on the Yankees last year, and have apparently made him an offer that's way higher than his current level dictates.

I still think they meet in the middle at 4/72.  But to give six years to a guy who will be 42 at the end of the deal is insane, as it was with the last two years on ARod's deal.

I should clarify, I mean that they should pay him with some respect as to what he did to help them get back on top.  They throw cash around to every FA that might be decent, and have wasted a ton over the years, so I would prefer to see them overpay him slightly, rather than bring in another FA who will gobble up cash and not do anything that half the roster currently can't do.  His clubhouse leadership is irreplacable....and that is something alway overlooked when people only want to talk ba's, hr's, rbi's, etc... 

I wouldn't give him 6 yrs either, but whatever years I did agree to, I would pay him handsomely for.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 09:09:42 AM »
I should clarify, I mean that they should pay him with some respect as to what he did to help them get back on top.  They throw cash around to every FA that might be decent, and have wasted a ton over the years, so I would prefer to see them overpay him slightly, rather than bring in another FA who will gobble up cash and not do anything that half the roster currently can't do.  His clubhouse leadership is irreplacable....and that is something alway overlooked when people only want to talk ba's, hr's, rbi's, etc... 

I wouldn't give him 6 yrs either, but whatever years I did agree to, I would pay him handsomely for.

I agree, except for the throwing cash part.  Since Cashman obtained full control in 2006, they've spent wisely outside of maybe Burnett.  Mega deals are only given to elite level players in their statistical primes (Teixeixa, Sabathia, etc.)  They will most likely do this with Lee.

I think the Yankees will definitely overpay, and they should, but only to a point.  To go to an AAV of 20m on Jeter crazy.  I firmly believe that the Steinbrenners only agreed to go the extra mile on Teixeira because Cashman promised to manage to a budget of about 200M.   Paying Jeter this much will deter other signings.  Jeter should recognize his place right now and do what Mussina and O'Neill did.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 12:48:47 PM »
jeter deserves every bit of 20m a year and will make that money back to the team twenty fold by simply showing up to games.

does anyone actually think hes going to hit .270 again and put awful offensive numbers? Im talking god awful numbers. It wont happen again.

dont get me started on his 3000th hit.

But regardless if he gets 20m a year, theres no chance he leaves new york IMO.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
jeter deserves every bit of 20m a year and will make that money back to the team twenty fold by simply showing up to games.

does anyone actually think hes going to hit .270 again and put awful offensive numbers? Im talking god awful numbers. It wont happen again.

dont get me started on his 3000th hit.

But regardless if he gets 20m a year, theres no chance he leaves new york IMO.

He is not a 20M dollar player.  And, if the Yankees are managing to a payroll budget as they appear to be (I can cite numerous examples like Washburn, etc which shows they are), paying that kind of money to him will greatly limit their flexibility.

Everyone on the team should not have a mega contract.  Only those who are elite.
Y

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »
MLBtrade rumors are reporting that Jeter wants (get this) 6 years 150 million. Yanks are offering 3 at 45 million. There is going to be some seriously hurt feelings in this one. 150 million is mind boggling. Those beards on his arm must cost a pretty fucking penny.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
MLBtrade rumors are reporting that Jeter wants (get this) 6 years 150 million. Yanks are offering 3 at 45 million. There is going to be some seriously hurt feelings in this one. 150 million is mind boggling. Those beards on his arm must cost a pretty fucking penny.

That number wasn't real.  I don't think anyone believed it.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 05:23:16 PM »
Yanks resign Jeter and Mo.

...Sox had made a three year offer to Mo!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »
Yanks resign Jeter and Mo.

...Sox had made a three year offer to Mo!
Really? I hear it was the same as NY. 2 yearss 30 mill.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
Really? I hear it was the same as NY. 2 yearss 30 mill.

Papers here said 3 years and more $ but he wanted to stay.

....wonder how Papplbon feels about that!?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
Papers here said 3 years and more $ but he wanted to stay.

....wonder how Papplbon feels about that!?
Papelbon should get in shape, shut his mouth, and come back better than ever. He said he wants to set the bar for closer salaries, so he should pitch like Rivera this year. He hasn't been right since 08. It would have been great for Bard to learn from the best ever though. Nothing but respect for Mariano.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »
Papelbon should get in shape, shut his mouth, and come back better than ever. He said he wants to set the bar for closer salaries, so he should pitch like Rivera this year. He hasn't been right since 08. It would have been great for Bard to learn from the best ever thiugh, Nothing but respect for Mariano.

Bard has potential but who knows...there's only one Mo.he's ageless.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
Lance Berkman to Cardinals.  1 year for 8 Million.  Waste of money IMO.  They need to sign Puljols long term and not worry about some has been.  I hope I am wrong but I think Lance has seen better days.