Author Topic: Rep weight vs 1 rep max  (Read 1551 times)

cracked

• Getbig I
Rep weight vs 1 rep max
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »
I'm repping 100 Kgs x 20 for squats but can only manage 1 rep on 130 Kgs.
The internet tells me I should be lifting a lot more for my max effort- and an increase on the bar of 30 Kilos for the sacrifice of 19 reps looks ridiculous.
Am I training wrong, not built for 1 rep efforts, delusional or a combination of all 3?
I usually train in the 10-20 rep range. All advice will be considered.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Rep weight vs 1 rep max
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
If you're trying for 1 rep maxes you have to get your body used to handling the heavier weight, I'd suggest adding 10 kilos at a time and keep doing as many reps as you can. You'll be surprised at how fast your squat numbers go up.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
Agree with Chaos . Getting the body (muscle fibers, tendons, etc) accustomed to the feel and use of heavier weight is important. Even doing  half squats to quarter squats (as part of a workout) with a much heavier weight across the back sets up and strengthens  the whole chain of muscles involved in squatting.  Good Luck
F

cracked

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
I did note that my legs felt very fresh even after repeated max attempts- so I agree it's probably a technique/training issue rather than a strength issue.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:21:57 PM »
It's also a genetic issue, people with thick joints and much fast twitch fibers have more talent to lift heavy.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
Lighter sets of squats turn the focus on the legs, on heavier sets it's on the midsection. So you might just have weak midsection.