Author Topic: Christian Thibaudeau's 'transformation' at T-Nation.com - is this legit?  (Read 46546 times)

Zugzwang

• Getbig II
  • adirtyjob.blogspot.com
Or, as I suspect, just a glorified advert?

This is quite a famous article, that was published a few years back:

The Beast Evolves

Within, fitness trainer and T-Nation contributor Christian Thibaudeau offers the inside scoop on his fourteen-week transformation from strong-but-fat to Vin Diesel-like stud.

Before: 230 pounds, 18% bodyfat:

After: 204 pounds, 5% bodyfat. The pics were taken 14 weeks apart.

As we all know, the fitness world revolves around these kinds of scams. Before and after pictures, usually taken within the magical twelve weeks, that show a pale and lardy Mr X turning into a rock-hard uber-stud by just following this certain system. Luckily enough, you can BUY this system, AND the products! :D

I have no beef with Thibaudeau; he writes interesting articles and has a different take from most BB writers. But T-Nation is, of course, run by Biotest, and Biotest has stuff to sell. Lots of stuff. And within The Beast Evolves, you quickly realise that a big part of Thibaudeau's agenda is peddling Biotest's wares.

First, he gives us the three reasons why his program worked well for *him*:

• I had the motivation to go all the way. I saw it as part of my job.

• I had the time. Writing articles and working with athletes gives me a very flexible schedule.

• I had the resources. Training-wise I had access to myself (I know a thing or two about training) and was helped by two great guys as far as dieting goes. I also had access to all the Biotest supplements I wanted except MAG-10. (Damn Canadian customs!)

The last part is where the plugs begin. In his daily supplements table, he takes the following  Biotest products: Tribex, M, Power Drive, Myostat. These bad boys ain't cheap, especially in the dosages he recommends. He also uses Yohimburn DF, but kinda dismisses it, as such:

Along with the Biotest goodies, you may notice I tried Yohimburn, which is advertised as a topical fat burner and local diuretic. Did it work? It may have helped some, especially as I got leaner. Since I pretty much did everything perfect I can't vouch that the Yohimburn actually had a great effect, though. The formula I used also contained some diuretic agents so there might have been some water loss.

So basically, it's all Biotest. :)

His concluding words are a gem:

I'd like to say that my body transformation has brought me nothing but positives. I gained the respect of my athletes and of T-mag readers; I'm now much healthier and have more energy; I get a lot more attention from women (if you're into that sort of thing!) and my lifting has actually improved!

A drug-free transformation such as mine is within your reach, too. I always believed (and still believe) that I have about the worst genetics in the world, at least when it comes to getting lean. My whole family has a history of weight problems and I wasn't spared. So if I can get lean, there's no reason why you can't!

Furthermore, with HOT-ROX now available it will make your task that much easier! I started using it right after my physical transformation plan when it became available and, despite being less strict with my diet and doing less energy system work, I actually got leaner still! In fact, after one week of use I e-mailed Tim Patterson to tell him that I almost felt ashamed of posting my body transformation pictures because after only one week on HOT-ROX I was leaner than ever!

I was also a victim of Canadian customs. As a result, I couldn't receive any MAG-10 or 4-AD-EC. There's no doubt in my mind that my progress would have been much faster and I would have gained much more muscle size if those products had been available to me.

Key parts again in bold.

So, what gives? Thibaudeau obviously looks good now. He's certainly not huge, or anything, but he did compete a bit, I believe, and looked okay. It's certainly possible to get into great shape in fourteen weeks, bur the heavy plugging within the article rings all kinds of alarm bells.

Is this another scam that folk need to be alerted to, or is Biotest the only firm in the world that actually did this legitimately and proved that their overpriced products actually do the job? ;)
adirtyjob.blogspot.com

Eulogy

• Getbig III
  • May the bridges I burn light the way
Hmmm,
I was inclined to agree with you regarding the validity of his claims (and I still do), but if you look at the before and after pictures (#1 and #3) ... It looks as if in the relaxed twist, he has a LOT of loose skin around his obliques. Perhaps his claim is true? It might just be the lighting, or his boxers pulled above his pants (I hope not)?

Anyways, given the proper determination and strategy, anything is possible. Including his transformation.

Zugzwang

• Getbig II
  • adirtyjob.blogspot.com
Hmmm,
I was inclined to agree with you regarding the validity of his claims (and I still do), but if you look at the before and after pictures (#1 and #3) ... It looks as if in the relaxed twist, he has a LOT of loose skin around his obliques. Perhaps his claim is true? It might just be the lighting, or his boxers pulled above his pants (I hope not)?

Anyways, given the proper determination and strategy, anything is possible. Including his transformation.

Oh, I'm pretty sure those are definitely before and after shots... the question is how long apart. ;) Could be years! Problem is as far as I can tell on T-Nation those shots of CT looking grim are the ONLY ones of him. As you'd expect, in all the others he's a superstud.

But you're definitely correct in your last paragraph; it's believeable, and if you read the comments most folk think he's on the straight and narrow, but it's the endless plugging that makes me think 'scam'. If he'd have been slightly less pro-Biotest and slightly-more 'use your favourite protein powder', I'd have been less suspicious. I know it's a BT site, but still. It's a bit too much. A bit Muscletech.
adirtyjob.blogspot.com

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Looks very believable.

Thing is, he could've done it using any kind of supplement company product line.

Or, without.

It's all about using a perfect diet, which could be cheaper if you use products that are sold by companies that are legit.

Biotest, a company that's been trying to sell us numerous shit products over the years, like the Myostat blocker, without even recognize that they were wrong, and somehow trying to make up for the ripoff, is a company not to be trusted.

Of course not.

They probably have decent products, but with fcukups like the Methoxy, numerous pro-whoremoans and said Myostat blocker, they are zilch.

Thibaudeau's (sp?) improvements looks like real. Timeframe is short, but possible for someone very dedicated.

The improvements had nothing to do with the supplements however. He could've used any fat burner on the market IMO, with just as good results, et al.

Good physique.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

240 or bust

LOL @ 14 weeks...

Did he claim to be natural? I didn't wanna read all that

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
LOL @ 14 weeks...

What's so hard to believe? And why is the natural status in question? He didn't stay at 230 lbs, or anywhere close. He could've gained 2-3 lbs of lean mass, if that.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Stavios

I went to a formation about training and nutrition given by christian here in quebec and the guy definitly knows his shit. And I mean really ! Plus he does have some really big arms  :o.

the transformation is definitly legit

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
It was the Myostat........I need some of that shit.  ::)
HAHA, RON.....

Tombo

• Getbig V
LOL @ 14 weeks...

Dude, its EASILY possible to get that.

He looks good, lacks a chest tho.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
Here is my opinion on the matter:

He got clean for a period of time and gained some body fat.  He then resumed his drug cycle and trained hard while watching his diet. 

It appears very clear to me that he is not clean in the "after" shots.  You don't get that overly vascular, puffy and yet hard look without being on something.

I think his overall appearance is good especially in his mid-section but he doesn't seem to get much size from whatever he is taking.

w

Stallion

• Getbig III
  • Brunette Goddess
Re: Christian Thibaudeau's 'transformation' at T-Nation.com - is this legit?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 07:46:18 PM »
He's still a pud.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 07:58:45 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

Biotest (and 98% of all supplement companies) marketing tactics are dubious at best.  If nothing else, it's entertaining reading.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 07:59:35 PM »
If we're going to critique everything that is written on a companies own website for sly marketing I think we're going to be here for eternity.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 09:18:17 PM »
Well, first of all at least post most flattering pictures of me ;)

The story is absolutely true (like it or not :)  ).  In fact, I had never even planned on doing a physical transformation. You might not believe it, but in the "before" shots I actually believed that I was in good shape! I was still competing in olympic lifting at that time and only really cared about strength. It may not look like it because of the fat, but I actually had as much muscle if not more in the before shots. At that time I *full* squatted (close-stance, no belt, no wraps) over 550lbs for 5 reps, front squatted 435lbs, snatched over 300lbs and cleaned close to 385lbs. Although I didn't train the bench press as much, I still managed a 425lbs lift.

So the muscle was there. And the pics really make me look worst than I was. HOWEVER that was not on purpose. As I said, at that point I had no intention of doing a physical transformation much less write an article about it!

The "before" pictures were actually taken during one of my M.Sc. classes (biomechanics). They were for a postural analysis performed with a computer program called "Biotonix". This explains the white balls, which are anatomical markers for the software.

When I saw the pics I was actually stuned! But that wasn't even enough to make me go on a diet because I feared loosing strength. However in training I strained my left biceps which basically meant no heavy pulling for 3 months. So I decided "what the heck" let's get cut!

The transformation really took 14 weeks. However I'm in much better shape now.

About the Biotest thing ... I won't lie ... I work for them. But that doesn't mean that I have to "pimp" anything. They pay me to write articles, not sell products. However I really use their products and those I use do make a difference. That having been said, proper nutrition and training is still 95% of the battle. 

240 or bust

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 09:22:30 PM »
are you claiming to have made those gains without steroids?

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »
To set things straight I'll try to post some pics and will tell you when they were taking in relation to the "transformation".

First one was taken at the end of a power clean and dates from around 1-2 monts before I started my transformation.

The second one was taken something like 6-7 weeks into the transformaton...

more to follow

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 09:26:24 PM »
Those two were taken for a class I gave on postural corrective training and are approximately 9-10 weeks into the transformation.

More to come.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 09:29:44 PM »
These ones were taken after 12 weeks.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 09:30:57 PM »
These were taken after 14 weeks.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 09:33:15 PM »
These were taken about 1 year after the transformation.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »
Thise were taken about 5 months ago

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 09:38:59 PM »
And you can even look at this one from 1992 ... that's pretty much my whole photo album!!! ;)

PhoenixRising

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 09:39:06 PM »
CT -

Nice to see you over here as well, especially backing yourself up. 

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 09:46:43 PM »
he has a LOT of loose skin around his obliques. Perhaps his claim is true? It might just be the lighting, or his boxers pulled above his pants (I hope not)?

It's actually a track suit ;) .... this pic was taken after a track workout

Mufasa

• Getbig II
  • Never Give Up Hope!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »
I think the answer to the original question is...."yes"...

(Great post, CT....!)

Mufasa
“There comes a