Author Topic: Ric Flair-torn rotator cuff  (Read 7709 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Ric Flair-torn rotator cuff
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »
I think Flair's rotator cuff injury is an old one put on by his arm wrestling Bad Bad Leroy Brown in Georgia circa 1981.
TBH I don't ever remember Flair being hurt / injured other than that plane crash he survived in 1975.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 05:12:40 AM »
Flair has had shoulder issues in the past, but I don't know when exactly.  I know Dr. Andrews has performed surgery on him on several occasions.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 05:17:57 AM »
Flair has had shoulder issues in the past, but I don't know when exactly.  I know Dr. Andrews has performed surgery on him on several occasions.
AND he still worked through all his matches at top tier performance. By watching you wouldn't even know he was hurt. Now that is old school at its best. Not like the guys today who crack a nail and are out for 4 months.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 05:26:35 AM »
AND he still worked through all his matches at top tier performance. By watching you wouldn't even know he was hurt. Now that is old school at its best. Not like the guys today who crack a nail and are out for 4 months.

No doubt.  I know many of the guys now do wrestle thru some serious injuries, but not nearly as often as the old-timers did. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
No doubt.  I know many of the guys now do wrestle thru some serious injuries, but not nearly as often as the old-timers did. 
Then you had guys like Batista who tore something every 3 months.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 06:25:24 AM »
Then you had guys like Batista who tore something every 3 months.

I remember reading a long time ago where Flair was talking about how to go 300+ days a year.  He always believed that keeping just a bit of bodyfat to help cushion the body was important.  Hard to argue with it.  Course he might have just been excusing his little layer of winter fat he always carried..... ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 06:27:41 AM »
I remember reading a long time ago where Flair was talking about how to go 300+ days a year.  He always believed that keeping just a bit of bodyfat to help cushion the body was important.  Hard to argue with it.  Course he might have just been excusing his little layer of winter fat he always carried..... ;D
On his dvd he basically said that he wrestled pretty much every single day and no one thought twice about it. You just did it. That's how it was back then. He said he'd be home on x-mas eve and then back out. That was pretty much it.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »
On his dvd he basically said that he wrestled pretty much every single day and no one thought twice about it. You just did it. That's how it was back then. He said he'd be home on x-mas eve and then back out. That was pretty much it.

Same as the book.  Those guys were unreal.  The called Ivan Koloff "the machine" because he was always ready to go and for as long as the match called for.  It's kinda funny how the guys today with the muscular, ripped physiques blow-up 5 minutes into a match and the old guys could go for an hour.  Granted the style is different, but I don't think the toolbags wrestling today could even slow down a match and come up with enough material for an hour.  Fans would boo and nod off 3 times.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
Same as the book.  Those guys were unreal.  The called Ivan Koloff "the machine" because he was always ready to go and for as long as the match called for.  It's kinda funny how the guys today with the muscular, ripped physiques blow-up 5 minutes into a match and the old guys could go for an hour.  Granted the style is different, but I don't think the toolbags wrestling today could even slow down a match and come up with enough material for an hour.  Fans would boo and nod off 3 times.
Exactly. What pisses me off is that if you examine the eighties, there where way more built / muscular wrestlers. Everyone was on juice. But you NEVER heard of anyone dying. Explain that.  ;)
Then the ninties came rolling in and so did the rec chemicals. In the seventies and eighties even Harly Race admitted that it was all booze and pot. But now they abuse and get hooked on pain pills, muscle relaxants, anxiety pills, sleeping pills, etc. It all catches up to you.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 06:43:19 AM »
Exactly. What pisses me off is that if you examine the eighties, there where way more built / muscular wrestlers. Everyone was on juice. But you NEVER heard of anyone dying. Explain that.  ;)
Then the ninties came rolling in and so did the rec chemicals. In the seventies and eighties even Harly Race admitted that it was all booze and pot. But now they abuse and get hooked on pain pills, muscle relaxants, anxiety pills, sleeping pills, etc. It all catches up to you.

As usual, you are spot on.  I think the booze and weed in the 70's and 80's, when used in moderation, actually were "good" for the longevity of a career.  Temporarily numbed the soreness and pain, without massive long-term effects like the pill generation.  And most guys knew how to handle their booze......exceptions of course, but for that generation they could "hold their liquor."

And I agree on builds.  I'm much more impressed watching my old vids of the Warriors, Atlas, Butch Reed, etc... who would intimidate anybody compared to the "lean" twinks you see so many of now. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
As usual, you are spot on.  I think the booze and weed in the 70's and 80's, when used in moderation, actually were "good" for the longevity of a career.  Temporarily numbed the soreness and pain, without massive long-term effects like the pill generation.  And most guys knew how to handle their booze......exceptions of course, but for that generation they could "hold their liquor."

And I agree on builds.  I'm much more impressed watching my old vids of the Warriors, Atlas, Butch Reed, etc... who would intimidate anybody compared to the "lean" twinks you see so many of now. 
X2. Crusher Blackwell vs Blackjack Mulligan no twinks around.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »

Extremely Built wrestlers of the eighties:
Hulk Hogan
Paul Orndorff
Ivan Putzki
Nikita Koloff
RR Animal
RR Hawk
Dynamite Kid
Davey Boy SMith
Ultimate Warrior
Don Murocco
Rick Rude
Warlord
Barbarian
Hercules Hernandez
Jimmy Snuka
Johnny B Badd
Lex Luger
Sting
Sid
Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Scott Norton
Ted Arcidi (1986)
Scotty McGee (1986)
Bill Eadie (Ax of Demolition)
Barry Darsaw (Smash of Demolition)
Big John Studd
Ken Patera
Tony Atlas
Rocky Johnson

And thats off the top of my head...

Extremely Built wrestlers of the millenium:

Batista
HHH
Eziekiel Jackson
Batista's lookalike (forgot his name on Nexus) And only because i'm throwing him a cookie
John Cena

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
X2. Crusher Blackwell vs Blackjack Mulligan no twinks around.

Awesome find!  Blackjack was one of my favs as a kid.  And Blackwell could get around great, especially for his size.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
Awesome find!  Blackjack was one of my favs as a kid.  And Blackwell could get around great, especially for his size.
Didn't Blackwell die in 1988 from some disease?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Didn't Blackwell die in 1988 from some disease?

i think he died in the mid-90's from some complications from a car accident.  Not 100% sure though. I think he was only in his early-mid 40's at the time.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
i think he died in the mid-90's from some complications from a car accident.  Not 100% sure though. I think he was only in his early-mid 40's at the time.
I could have sworn he had some kind of illness. I'll have to do wome digging on that one.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
I could have sworn he had some kind of illness. I'll have to do wome digging on that one.

I think he had issues from his weight for years....I know that was why he quit wrestling.  And I think the illness was actually brought on my complications from the car accident....infections maybe?  Not sure.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »
Your right. He died in 1995 from complications stemming for an automobile accident. I just checked.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
Your right. He died in 1995 from complications stemming for an automobile accident. I just checked.

I've worked hard over the years to kill off my "weak" brain cells so that the stronger ones can survive.... ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
I've worked hard over the years to kill off my "weak" brain cells so that the stronger ones can survive.... ;D
Lol...I had to check as it would have bothered me all day if I didn't.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 01:07:29 PM »
Lol...I had to check as it would have bothered me all day if I didn't.

What is sad is that I can recall stupid, meaningless shit like that, but anything of value?  Nah.....forget within a month or so..... :-\

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
I think he had issues from his weight for years....I know that was why he quit wrestling.  And I think the illness was actually brought on my complications from the car accident....infections maybe?  Not sure.
I thought he died of a reverse claw being applied to him cut off brain circulation, not sure though. ;D I'm really not sure on how he died.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Mine get rejuvenated with a bottle of Scotch.  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Mine get rejuvenated with a bottle of Scotch.  ;D

It's also the fountain of youth....makes me much better looking!  ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
It's also the fountain of youth....makes me much better looking!  ;D
George Burns pounded a scotch every morning and burned a stogie everyday and lived a century. Perfect proof that life longevity is all in how much each person's body / immune sytem can endure.