Author Topic: Behind the neck bb presses.  (Read 8551 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Re: Behind the neck bb presses.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Worst exercise you can do for the shoulder joints, the shoulder ball and socket are not made to go back and behind.....

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
Have to disagree with LittleGuns. Watching a Big Ten gymnast meet the other night may prove the point that the shoulders can function, and function very well, in a posterior, lateral or anterior position/direction. With the usual time taken to stretch and otherwise warmup the body.

Another example may be Olympic weight lifters. Watching their holds in the overhead position is truly impressive. All seem to function very well.

The Bradford press is a TUT exercise that is not meant for everyone. A little caution would insure a injury free press, so go light at first if never have done it before. Higher reps with just the bar alone may be a good idea when starting to learn this exercise. The bar is pressed only a few inches above the head, nothing ever close to a full lockout. Some may have a potential problem with holding the grip too wide out, putting extra stress on the shoulder girdle. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Bradford press was used ofter by Big Jim Bradford, an exceptional Olympic lifter years ago.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
me thinks the bodybuilders who get injured from BN press probably got so because they lacked flexibility aka hadnt been stretching much.  lots of rotator cuff work helps to keep you loose.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
Anybody still using the Cuban Press?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
Yes TbombZ is totally correct. Plus lowering the bar too far down behind the back, not needed at all. Stretch and warmup and never rush the weight. Using too much on the bar too soon before you can really handle it. Even in cheating exercises there is a art & style to it. Good Luck.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 03:33:29 AM »

Wes,
Do you do Bradford's as your primary pressing movement, or do you perform them later in your routine after you've "warmed up" the area?
Also, what is your ROM like?
It seems that the most effective/preferred way to do the movement is to press up only as high as is needed to clear the top of the head.
Finally, what is your grip like?

Sorry for all the questions.
I've been considering trying these for some time now, and if I'm going to do them, I want to do them right!

My workouts are always different rotating back and forth between exercises used on a weekly basis.

I use Bradfords a lot and I go slightly wider than shoulder width grip,go all the way down to the traps,pressup just clearing my head,then down to the clavicles and so on...........the non-locking motion keeps constant tension on the delts.............just clear the top of your head..........no higher.

I sometimes will use a pre-exhaust system where I will do laterals or laterals behind the back,then immediatelty go to the presses,but usually I perform them alone and do them first in my routine.

I start out light,and pyramid up as I increase weight each set,while dropping reps,then on the last set, I`ll drop down to a moderately heavy weight and just go for broke and pump out.

Great 4exercise which has helped to make my delts one of the few good bodyparts I have!!!  :)

EDIT:
These days I do them seated with back braced as my back is a bit screwedup.  :(

Good luck!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 05:27:28 AM »
My workouts are always different rotating back and forth between exercises used on a weekly basis.

I use Bradfords a lot and I go slightly wider than shoulder width grip,go all the way down to the traps,pressup just clearing my head,then down to the clavicles and so on...........the non-locking motion keeps constant tension on the delts.............just clear the top of your head..........no higher.

I sometimes will use a pre-exhaust system where I will do laterals or laterals behind the back,then immediatelty go to the presses,but usually I perform them alone and do them first in my routine.

I start out light,and pyramid up as I increase weight each set,while dropping reps,then on the last set, I`ll drop down to a moderately heavy weight and just go for broke and pump out.

Great 4exercise which has helped to make my delts one of the few good bodyparts I have!!!  :)

EDIT:
These days I do them seated with back braced as my back is a bit screwedup.  :(

Good luck!

Thank you very much.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 04:27:43 AM »
I did them yesterday, standing, free with a barbell.

Today im SORE in my delts, not that my delts are lacking but DAMN im going to do them every single workout, as i felt it activated all three heads.

Superior movement, i banged my head at the wall after this... for not doing this all these years...

Of course done right to avoid injury. lower the bar to the ear level and stop couple inches before locking out. Controlled reps, medium weights. no need to go heavy

Discuss.

I do them all the time. They are one of the cornerstones of my chest/choulder routine. I go light, in the 12 rep range to avoid injury.

Do them once a week and get cannon ball delts, just like "Big" BFRS.