Author Topic: Experts only please - 6months in the gym am i good?, is my routine good?  (Read 4840 times)

billo2007

• Getbig I
Hey,

this is my first post, i have been reading forums last week or so. going to the gym 6 months now.
I am fearing getting slaughtered here.

I am trying too put on muscle, not veins everywhere, just get bigger and stronger. I still want to be active able to play football. just in better shape. I work v v hard in the gym and felt i had not been getting the results but now last night I had what i feel the best night ever in the gym. today i feel big. and noticably more muscle on me. 2 weeks ago i changed my diet, maybe this is why. I have tweaked this plan over 6 months from watching others and reading. any advice!

This is my routine.

Day on Day off.
2 Day routine.
-----------------------------------------
Day 1
Bicep Curl 4 x 8 x 17.5kg
Hammer Curl 4 x 8 x 17.5kg
Barbell Bicep Curl 4 x 8 x 35kg or 40kg
Tricep Extension  4 x 8 x 12.5kg
Tricep Cable Pulldown , Drop sets 4 X 8, not sure of the weights.
Chest Free Weight(exercise1) 4 x 8 x 25kg
Chest Free Weight(exercise2) 4 x 8 x 20kg
----------------------------------
Day 2
Lat Pulldown - 4 x 8 x 65kg
Shoulder Press - 4 x 8 x 65kg
Shoulder free weights - 4 x 8 x 20kg
Leg Extension Machine - 4 x 8 x 210kg
Leg Curl - 4 x 8 x 100kg
Calf Extension - 4 x 8 x 120kg

Also everyday I am in the gym I sprint 3km.
I used to do this, Monday Tuesday Wednesday(free) Thursday Friday Sat/Sun(weekend free)
Since Reading I am doing it day on day off, with the diet also, and i use protein, I think its going well. definetly better.
------------------------------------
Last 2 weeks I am on a no carb diet also. i have been eating whatever i want prior to that.

How is that guys? I hope im not one of these guys gettin slaughtered! :D

my first post! help! or help tweak!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
imo,,, not the route id go........
all i can do is tell you what made me grow big time in my teens..

mon  chest and arms

wed  legs

fri     back, shoulders

emphasizing squats, deadlifts, benching, shoulder pressing etc etc

for an example take back and shoulders

wide grip chins          3 x f
bent rows                 2 x 8
deads                      2 x8
seated military press   3 x 8
side or rear laterals    2 x 10
shrugs                     2 x 8

( pyramid weight and do 2 working sets, or more if your like extra volume )

keep it simple and basic, give plenty time to rest, eat loads, cant go wrong

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Monday:
Bench Press
Incline Press
Barbell Curls

Wednesday:
Squats
Seated Dumbell Press
Skullcrushers

Friday:
Deadlifts
BB Rows
Pulldowns

Eat like a guy!!

Good luck.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Hey,

this is my first post, i have been reading forums last week or so. going to the gym 6 months now.
I am fearing getting slaughtered here.
Fri.-
I am trying too put on muscle, not veins everywhere, just get bigger and stronger. I still want to be active able to play football. just in better shape. I work v v hard in the gym and felt i had not been getting the results but now last night I had what i feel the best night ever in the gym. today i feel big. and noticably more muscle on me. 2 weeks ago i changed my diet, maybe this is why. I have tweaked this plan over 6 months from watching others and reading. any advice!

This is my routine.

Day on Day off.
2 Day routine.
-----------------------------------------
Day 1
Bicep Curl 4 x 8 x 17.5kg
Hammer Curl 4 x 8 x 17.5kg
Barbell Bicep Curl 4 x 8 x 35kg or 40kg
Tricep Extension  4 x 8 x 12.5kg
Tricep Cable Pulldown , Drop sets 4 X 8, not sure of the weights.
Chest Free Weight(exercise1) 4 x 8 x 25kg
Chest Free Weight(exercise2) 4 x 8 x 20kg
----------------------------------
Day 2
Lat Pulldown - 4 x 8 x 65kg
Shoulder Press - 4 x 8 x 65kg
Shoulder free weights - 4 x 8 x 20kg
Leg Extension Machine - 4 x 8 x 210kg
Leg Curl - 4 x 8 x 100kg
Calf Extension - 4 x 8 x 120kg

Also everyday I am in the gym I sprint 3km.
I used to do this, Monday Tuesday Wednesday(free) Thursday Friday Sat/Sun(weekend free)
Since Reading I am doing it day on day off, with the diet also, and i use protein, I think its going well. definetly better.
------------------------------------
Last 2 weeks I am on a no carb diet also. i have been eating whatever i want prior to that.

How is that guys? I hope im not one of these guys gettin slaughtered! :D

my first post! help! or help tweak!

Now that I have more time,I might be able to add a bit of info to help you out.

First of all,you aren`t building much of a foundation at all with your routine as a beginner.........thus stick to the basic tried and true exercises.

Never do arms,especially triceps before you work chest........you will NEVER be able to do justice to your chest workout.

A basic rule to follow is to start the weeks training with the bigger bodyparts and work your way down to the smaller ones as the week goes by.

Example:
Mon.-Legs
Tues.-Chest
Wed.-Back
Thurs.-Shoulders
Fri.-Arms

Eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight,and eat low carbs,low fat,and drink plenty of water.

Lots more to add,but as a beginner,these suggestions will definately help you to progress much faster than you are right now.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
i used to do mon, wed, fri. it failed me. i got on gear and started training five (min) or six (max) days a week and eating five times a day = gained 40lbs.
my split b4 was:
mon: back
wed: legs + abs
fri: bis + tris
i did pushups throughout the week only bc my chest was overdeveloped at the time
my new split:
mon: back
tues: shoulders + chest
wednesday: quads + hams
thurs: calves + abs
fri: bis + tris
carbs are not the enemy. eat complex carbs: sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc... and simple carbs only post workout: glass of orange juice

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I don`t care for 3 day splits myself personally,but they`re great for beginners.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
i dont think you can go wrong on a 3 day split starting off, or even for a change even when advanced..

assuming he's natural, you do need some time off inbetween

jpm101

• Getbig IV
If you want to gain muscle mass and get in better shape to play football, your going to have to get serious and start doing the big boy exercises.

Talking about squats, DL's, benches, rows, etc. Try not putting too much effort into arms at this time. Suggest something like the basic 5X5. Based on a 3 workout (Mon-Wed-Fri) a week plan.  K.I.S.S. applies very strongly here. Keep workouts short and to the point. Any beginner should always start with a simple workout protocol like the 3X8-10's or the above mentioned 5X5's.  Build a base and solid foundation for future training. Might also consider taking a week or two off your current program before starting a more productive exercise attack.

Try staying with the BB & DB workouts, rather that machines ,if wishing to get into athletics (football). Better as a confidence builder also. Suggest interval training (Tabata, etc) for any cardio concerns.

Usually the athlete's I work with  (having to gain 10 to 15 lb fairly quickly) will do;

Squats
Hi-pulls
Bench
Overhead presses.

The squats & Hi-pulls are in a higher rep range (10-15) while the bench & press are between 5-7. If this appeals to you, than give it a shot.

Importance to take in more complex carb based calories. Do not want the protein your eating to be used for energy requirements. The complex carbs are for all that. The protein is for repair and building the muscle tissue. 150 grams of protein a day should handle most rebuilding needs. Actually the muscle cells takes in a very little percent of amino protein after the process of primary digestion and other chemical breakdowns and separations occur. Try taking 6 smaller meals a day rather than the normal three. Good Luck.

F

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
Do not want the protein your eating to be used for energy requirements.
according to milos carcev only carbohydrats and fats can be used for energy. he says "protein is the only building nutrient".

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Actually protein can be used for energy if the calorie requirement from carbs & fats are not enough. Can also have the body attack it's own muscle mass and feed off that for energy. Starvation is one example.

What I was saying was that a BB'er wants every gram of protein eaten to be directed to muscle repair, recovery and building, if he can help it. Not for energy purposes. Let the higher supply of carbs & fats/oils handle the energy requirements. Good Luck.
F

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
well i knew the body would break down muscle when starved, but didn't know the body could use protein for energy. i'm still not sure about that. i think the body will just take it for whatever physiologic metabolic need that is priority such as rebuilding organs, skin, hair, etc... if you're not eating enough carbs though the body will steal glycogen from the muscles + liver which is no good bc you need your glycogen to fuel your workouts.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
You ever hear of using fat to fuel your workouts?   ;)

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
yeah fat can be used for energy. jay eats high fat. good fats though. almonds, avocado, efa's, etc..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I`m talking bodyfat ???

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
oh ok. well i don't really know how that works bc i know the primary fuel for workout is glycogen. i would think your body would break down muscle before going to fat reserves for fuel. :-\

jpm101

• Getbig IV
The human body is a carbon source, which glucose is a products off. Protein is the last and final source of energy for the body when carbs, fats/oils are used up or not present at all. The energy source that the body calls upon is muscle tissue,to meet the immediate needs for survival ,if nothing else is present. That is sometimes called muscle wasting. Amino/protein is a poor energy producer.

Protein synthesis is to produce amino acids, the bases of muscle tissue, which begins from a carbon and that glucose base, as has been mentioned above. Fuel the energy needs of the body first so the protein/aminos can repair, rebuild and advance muscular growth. Never, ever have protein used for energy requirements, if muscle mass is the goal..

Hopefully Abijahmaniaco is not getting most of his information from BB'ing mags & video's. Or what the Pro's like Jay, Milos, Ronnie  or whoever might utter for some ghost writer.  Though I have heard that Milos is a educated man. Good Luck.
F

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
yeah. i got my info from the milos dvd "secrets of the pro's". included is a two hour seminar on nutrition. he says one pound of fat represents nine calories vs one pound of muscle = 69 calories. so the body goes after the muscle first when starving. i also read md.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Protein -High
Carbs - Low to No
= Using fat as fuel after carbs (Glucose+ Glycogen) are depleted.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Sorry to say but that one pound of fat= 9 calories vs one pound of muscle (not all pure amino/protein) = 69 calorie is fuzzy logic at best.

As a last resort (facing it's own survival and possible death) the body will cannibalize it's self, usually starting with the heart (a muscle) and the internal organs.  That protein, from muscle tissue, is the final attempt for staying alive if all other sources of fuel/energy have been depleted. Energy for breathing, heat beats, blood flow, etc.  All to keep the spark of life intact.

With all due respect to Milo, a man of knowledge, there are reams of solid information on BB'ing, training, recovery, diet/biochemical protocols, etc, all related to gaining pure muscle mass through proper spaced exercise programs, on the internet. And all without a price tag.

I find that one of the best way to learn, from the bottom up, about real BB'ing is to talk to some of the more successful experienced guy's working out at your gym. Or watch them train (a few gyms have viewing areas) and their comments while training. They can tell you what works or doesn't work most of the time. Hands on experience is indeed he best teacher. May ever let you work in a few sets with them. Good Luck.
F

AngrySOB

• Getbig I
I think what you guys are talking about is gluconeogenesis and it starts up when cortisol levels in the body get out of control... It can happen during excessive exercise like running a 26 mile marathon... Not usually happening in the course of a typical session in the weight room.

The body if starved for carbs and after burning thru a certain amount of reserved fats (not sure exactly at what point, sorry) will start to pull apart muscle for amino's to produce glucose for energy.

Here is a simple wiki explanation of the metabolic process http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

And here is an interactive diagram of the exact process http://www.wiley.com/college/boyer/0470003790/animations/gluconeogenesis/gluconeogenesis.htm
):< AngrySOB >:(

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
thanks, but both of those links are a little above my head i'm afraid. :-\ i just need to know when the body burns fat and does not opt to break down muscle instead.

i assume the body burns fat under two conditions: 1-you are performing cardio at 65% to 85% of your max heart rate. 2-you're not starving yourself. ???