Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551754 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #425 on: September 12, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
Ok. Just finished Iain M Banks' 'The Player of Games.' I'll start by saying I had some problems with this one, a highly ranked sci-fi book, now an acknowledged 'classic.'  Ostensibly, the story about an game player who gets invited to a distant galaxy to vie in a super-duper tournament, it reveals that there are games within games going on. I took a long time reading this one as I found it really boring. It did get better by about the 2/3rds' mark, tho. Despite the slow set-up, an end twist suggested by Card's 'Ender's Game' did redeem it somewhat. The writing was pretty good, and some of the far-out ideas/characters also, but the names of these characters were endlessly esoteric and mind-numbing. A lot of drugs, I was figuring. It is one of Mr. Banks' early novels and it reads like one - its grasp far beyond its reach. 6/10
Is what you do for a living related to your reading of so much fiction, doc? No flame...just curious.  :)
!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #426 on: September 12, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
Is what you do for a living related to your reading of so much fiction, doc? No flame...just curious.  :)
Not really, anymore. Well, now I'm book collector and investor, so I guess I take it more seriously than most. Always been a book lover. Light seems to be dimming, tho. 

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #427 on: September 12, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
MuscleMag Int September 2012 #364

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #428 on: September 12, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »
MuscleMag Int September 2012 #364
I remember rushing to the store to get that mag and just reading the hell out of it for a week, always good articles and covered all aspects of biology, nutrition, and exercise,, I learned alot from that mag, but that was in the days of patrillo, dr.mauro di pasquale, and palaquin.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #429 on: September 12, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
I remember rushing to the store to get that mag and just reading the hell out of it for a week, always good articles and covered all aspects of biology, nutrition, and exercise,, I learned alot from that mag, but that was in the days of patrillo, dr.mauro di pasquale, and palaquin.
Agree mate - I have been reading it since the early 90s and used to look through second hand book shops in the hope I would find older issues - now I only read to make cardio go faster when on the Exercycle  :D

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #430 on: September 12, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
Not really, anymore. Well, now I'm book collector and investor, so I guess I take it more seriously than most. Always been a book lover. Light seems to be dimming, tho. 
This seems rather sad. What gives? Losing your zest for life and the things you've always enjoyed?  :-\
!

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #431 on: September 12, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
You bibliophiles might enjoy watching this:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/283398-1

I'm a borderline bibliomaniac!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #432 on: September 13, 2012, 04:59:16 AM »
This seems rather sad. What gives? Losing your zest for life and the things you've always enjoyed?  :-\

Ah no. It just strikes me that book readers are getting slammed on all sides. The new e-book thingy has hit the publishing industry hard and fast, and part of me believes that this new reading craze is more a love of gadgetry than of story. Also, we have a younger crowd who don't enjoy reading, or who don't read at all. I guess with all the immersive options out there, I can understand that, too. Keep reading!   :)

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #433 on: September 13, 2012, 05:17:07 AM »
Ah no. It just strikes me that book readers are getting slammed on all sides. The new e-book thingy has hit the publishing industry hard and fast, and part of me believes that this new reading craze is more a love of gadgetry than of story. Also, we have a younger crowd who don't enjoy reading, or who don't read at all. I guess with all the immersive options out there, I can understand that, too. Keep reading!   :)

Have to disagree with you there. The e-reader has made self publishing a reality. Yes, this does mean that any talentless dyslexic hack can publish a collection of words now (calling a lot of the current drivel 'books' is beyond me), but it also allows things to be published that would never have seen the light of day in the past. Basically the same as the music industry: more crap produced, but also more corn rolled in with it. The only problem now being: finding those few gems.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
Not a damn thing.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: September 18, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »

!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #436 on: September 20, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »

You might enjoy John Brown, Abolitionist. Very good book I'm just finishing up.

G

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #437 on: September 20, 2012, 07:09:04 AM »

John Brown is on my list. I love reading biographies.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »
John Brown is on my list. I love reading biographies.
What are some of the best bios you've read?

G

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #439 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »

Quite familiar with John Brown already.  ;)

I read "Midnight Rising" within the last year or so. Excellent read.

!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #440 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:36 AM »
Quite familiar with John Brown already.  ;)

I read "Midnight Rising" within the last year or so. Excellent read.

Is 'American Uprising' about Nat Turner?

I was looking for a book on him.

G

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #441 on: September 20, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

Autobiograpy of Malcolm X by Alex Haley was good.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #442 on: September 20, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
Is 'American Uprising' about Nat Turner?

I was looking for a book on him.

Dude, you need to go back through this thread.  :) I posted a book that I read about Nat that is probably the most comprehensive accounting of his life and revolt that has been written. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the title.  :(
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #443 on: September 20, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »

I've read a LOT of great bios over the years. Most recently, Harry Belafonte's and Kwame Toure's...two men I admire greatly.

One I'd highly recommend about a likely little known figure in American history to most, called "Destiny of The Republic".
It is about the life of President James Garfield, who was shot shortly into his presidency and eventually died. Really well written and quite compelling. Garfield comes across as really fascinating individual, highly intelligent and compassionate, and a man who could have been a great president had he lived long enough.

!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #444 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
Also read a good one on Teddy Roosevelt covered his life as pertains to his adventures as a naturalist and explorer before becoming president. Forgot the title.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
Also read a good one on Teddy Roosevelt covered his life as pertains to his adventures as a naturalist and explorer before becoming president. Forgot the title.

"City Of Vice" tells the story of Teddy Roosevelt's time as Chief of Police in NYC.

Interesting, as New York was corrupt as HELL at the time, with cops taking bribes left and right, and the city was chock FULL o' brothels on practically every corner downtown. Teddy didn't exactly clean the city of corruption (far from it), but he stomped around and made a lot of noise, building a reputation as a no-nonsense leader that helped him in his ambitions for national prominence.

I admit I did not finish that book, as it was a little dry at times and was a tad too long, in my opinion.
!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #446 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
"City Of Vice" tells the story of Teddy Roosevelt's time as Chief of Police in NYC.

Interesting, as New York was corrupt as HELL at the time, with cops taking bribes left and right, and the city was chock FULL o' brothels on practically every corner downtown. Teddy didn't exactly clean the city of corruption (far from it), but he stomped around and made a lot of noise, building a reputation as a no-nonsense leader that helped him in his ambitions for national prominence.

I admit I did not finish that book, as it was a little dry at times and was a tad too long, in my opinion.

I have read a fictional book called the Alienist set in New York during this era. Somewhat like a Sherlock Holmes type character looking for the killer of little boy prostitutes.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #447 on: September 20, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
I have read a fictional book called the Alienist set in New York during this era. Somewhat like a Sherlock Holmes type character looking for the killer of little boy prostitutes.
By Caleb Carr. Read it years ago and liked it, especially all the NYC history. Unfortunately, his other books are kinda the same and not as good, so I've kinda written him off.   :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #449 on: September 24, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
I've read a LOT of great bios over the years. Most recently, Harry Belafonte's and Kwame Toure's...two men I admire greatly.

One I'd highly recommend about a likely little known figure in American history to most, called "Destiny of The Republic".
It is about the life of President James Garfield, who was shot shortly into his presidency and eventually died. Really well written and quite compelling. Garfield comes across as really fascinating individual, highly intelligent and compassionate, and a man who could have been a great president had he lived long enough.

I read that about a month ago. Good stuff.

I especially liked how delusional the assassin was (can't remember his name now). The stuff on Bell was interesting as well.

G